Lean Muscle Maximization Through Peating

Jsaute21

I know Peat's Diet & Methodologies are favorable for DHT/T which are obviously strength training's best friends.

However, due to how taxing strength training is on those with damaged metabolisms, which are the best ways to combat the fatigue that explosive & resistance training brings on?

Specifically, I am looking for input on:

• Pre workout nutrition/supplementation
  • Post workout nutrition/supplementation
  • Periodization/Frequency
  • Maconutrients that favor explosive training. I am a former sprinter and like to go fast as Ricky Bobby once said.
@Koveras @haidut @TubZy @tca300 @tyler @DaveFoster @sladerunner69 I am sure there are many more with great opinions, but i know each of these guys likes to strength train in moderation.

squanch

Any 3 days / week full body program

I really like Casey Butt's material:
The WeighTrainer - Beginners: Practical Starting Routines for The Drug-Free Trainee

Maybe some 5x5 program if you are more strength focused.

For me personally, the only things that really matter for proper recovery are high calories and enough sleep.
If I'm eating a caloric deficit or not getting at least 8-9 hours of sleep, I will crash after a few days.

Never really found any magic macro-ratio or supplement that actually makes a noticeable difference in my ability to recover from workouts.

Last edited:
T

tca300

For recovery I do my best to get enough Protein, Sugar ( with micronutrients ), Magnesium, Red Light, and SLEEP.
Pre and during workouts I consume carbohydrates via juice and or milk.
Post workout nutrition is worthless in my opinion. I eat when I get hungry.
Explosive movements require muscle glycogen, so carbohydrates are important, obviously. Small amounts of medium chain triglycerides might be helpful as well.
I lift very heavy, low reps, typically low volume, working each muscle once every 7-10 days, two sessions per week, primarily through compound movements. I don't do periodization, I stick to low reps 5 or less, ( because I prefer the look of hard dense muscles that heavy training creates vs bloated/squishy puffy " all show, no go" muscles, and the stressful nature of longer drawn out sets ) I take a few weeks off every few months.
I dont do explosive training or sprinting anymore, so I dont have an opinion, other than I wouldn’t sprint more than two times per week at 90%+ intensity. I also only did hill sprints, because of the injurious nature of full speed flat surface sprints.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Yeah, very solid plan @tca300. I used to lift like a bodybuilder, with no rest and got shredded. As i get older, your type of programming is absolutely the best bang for your buck. (I was 20 then...now 28.)

Perhaps the leading frustration that led me to PEAT from being hypometabolic was the soreness and lack of rejuvenation in my joints. I have talked about it on separate threads. I have gained some weight (not fat but bigger than i was) but feel better overall from a joint perspective. I also lift 1-2x a week, as i am more in tune with my body and now realize when i am energizes from stress hormones opposed to real energy.

Do you take specific supplements (androsterone, preg, etc, coffee) in relation to your workout, or no?

T

tca300

I dont personally. I would imagine that using dhea with androsterone on the nads a few hours before lifting would improve the workout though.

superhuman

Enough protein together with a least a 2:1 ratio of sugar to protein.

Getting the hormones right is the best thing you can do. RP have no problem with people taking testosterone but im not sure he favors taking those amounts that produce hefty results. Like the study where they did 600mg a week.

I know a sprinter coach that also has people rest more and eat a bit over maintenance, copled with T3 to rest, recover and shift over some of the type 2b fiber back to 2x

Waffler

Post workout nutrition is worthless in my opinion. I eat when I get hungry.
I always thought that was one of the most important times to eat. Why do you feel that way?
Small amounts of medium chain triglycerides might be helpful as well.
Do you take MCT before and during workouts or at a set time during the day?

Thanks,

T

tca300

@Waffler Many studies show no benefit from post workout protein, etc.. ( if muscle protein synthesis stays elevated for 48-72 hours, it wouldn't make sense that eating right after a workout would make much of a difference, unless your hungry. ) On the contrary eating beforehand fills your glycogen stores up, so your workout intensity can be pushed to the max, and other studies show consuming sugars during workouts lowers the typical cortisol elevating effect of an intense workout.
I take mct oil with meals, at no particular time. Although taking before a workout might improve performance.

hef911

i think frequency, volume and intensity recommendations concerning weightlifting are highly individualized, when stress in your life is low, it is fair to assume you can handle more stress in the gym. I really loved "the muscle and strength pyramid" by eric helms (book), where he elaborates weight training/ programming very scientifically. But i have no idea if it is great in terms of t/dht optimization and the approach is not very moderate imo. i have done smolov jr (powerlift program) a few times it is great in terms of strength output if that is what you are looking for, but that is also not a very moderate approach.

superhuman

@tca300 that is true. But there is an anabolic window after training that shortens the more experience you are. So if you are a high level athlete there seem to be a benefit of consuming protein(more protein) during the 6-8 hour window after training. But yes the less experienced and advanced you are the bigger the "window" and then it does not matter since its turning into 1 day etc

Hans

Forum Supporter
Building a physique/exercising to the best of your capacity is 85%+ nutrition. Eat frequently to stay in a positive nitrogen balance. Consume food pre and post-workout and consume supplements. Post workout nutrition is more important than pre-workout nutrition. Don't fast ever. Avoid stress, don't ponder all day on irrelevant issues. After a meal, sit down and rest so that your food can be properly digested and utilized. The use of digestive enzymes can be a great tool.
Steroids are a no no and I don't like pro-hormones either. Make sure to consume enough calories and protein during the day.
Depending on your physique/strength goals, to train a muscle group 2x a week is best and can be done with a minimum of 3 sets per muscle group per training session. Never do full body splits unless your an obsolete beginner. Also don't train abs as that will not burn fat and only slow down muscle and strength gains. Red meat, milk and eggs are the best muscle builders. Low reps for strength (2-6) and higher reps for hypertrophy (6-12). Try to rest as short as possible during sets and try to complete each workout within 30min.
Taking a nap after a workout helps a lot to recover.

A metabolism should first be balanced with proper nutrition and supplementation before proper training can be done and the best results be obtained.

Carbs never build muscle, only protein does.

macaroot

Lift progressively heavier weights and get enough calories. That’s it. If you go low on PUFA and don’t go crazy on refined sugar like a lot of idiots do on this diet, you’ll experience some incredible gains. I have.

Wagner83

Steroids are a no no and I don't like pro-hormones either. Make sure to consume enough calories and protein during the day.

A metabolism should first be balanced with proper nutrition and supplementation before proper training can be done and the best results be obtained.

Why are you againt pro hormones and pro supplementation? Also, what supplements are you talking about?

Hans

Forum Supporter
How do you measure 85%?
It's in terms of how important nutrition is for you to be able to build muscle, gain strength, burn fat, etc... It's never as easy as eat a bit of this and a bit of that. Everyone can gain muscle and strength and burn fat...but to what extent?
Your nutrition is that limiting factor. And also what you believe is a factor. If you believe you can't do it, then you can't, but if you do believe you can do something, then you can. You can change your DNA with your mind. I'm talking bodybuilding wise here.
But back to the point, nutrition is much more important than a training program for gaining muscle and strength and burning fat etc...

Hans

Forum Supporter
Why are you againt pro hormones and pro supplementation? Also, what supplements are you talking about?
I like to do things naturally, stimulate hormone production naturally etc... It's the safest way to do things. Stuff like preg, DHEA, etc have their place, but in
other cases involving normal, healthy adults who use them to “bulk up” I stand
firmly and adamantly against it! I feel they detract from athletic
integrity and rob you of your physiques' "personality".
I use natural substances derived from natural sources, such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals etc.. Those is a major benefit for those seeking to build a physique. But ofc it shouldn't be overdone either.

But that's just me, very few people have the mindset and/or perseverance these days to build a great physique 100% naturally.

Wagner83

I like to do things naturally, stimulate hormone production naturally etc... It's the safest way to do things. Stuff like preg, DHEA, etc have their place, but in
other cases involving normal, healthy adults who use them to “bulk up” I stand
firmly and adamantly against it! I feel they detract from athletic
integrity and rob you of your physiques' "personality".
I use natural substances derived from natural sources, such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals etc.. Those is a major benefit for those seeking to build a physique. But ofc it shouldn't be overdone either.

But that's just me, very few people have the mindset and/or perseverance these days to build a great physique 100% naturally.
OK thanks. I guess I don't really see the difference between supplementing dhea/preg or people who supplement big doses of fat soluble vitamins, amino acids, chinese herbs, caffeine, minerals. Why is one more "natural" than the other? After all dhea and pregnenolone are naturally present in the body. I'm not pushing or bashing one or the other by the way.
What supplements do you use yourself? Which one would you recommend for health and for building the body?

Hans

Forum Supporter
OK thanks. I guess I don't really see the difference between supplementing dhea/preg or people who supplement big doses of fat soluble vitamins, amino acids, chinese herbs, caffeine, minerals. Why is one more "natural" than the other? After all dhea and pregnenolone are naturally present in the body. I'm not pushing or bashing one or the other by the way.
What supplements do you use yourself? Which one would you recommend for health and for building the body?
Yes, dhea/preg is naturally present, but to supplement with it isn't. It's just a personal preference. I myself would take herbs, but it's not nearly as important as the basics: proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals.
I guess for me, when I was younger, I saw bodybuilders and never thought they looked that way due to steroids. I feel it can be done naturally, and it has been proven before by men in the 50s and 60s that it is indeed possible. Nowadays men think they can't even build muscle without some sort of steroid. My point is to help other willing men achieve a great physique naturally, without become dependant on something synthetic or unnatural.
I just stick to minerals, vits, aminos, and a few herbs. Not your common multivitamin or whey ofc.
I recommend balancing your metabolism first with foods and vitamins and minerals that you specifically might be deficient in, then start with more specific supplements to build the body.
It's also dependent on how active you are, your goals, etc...
What I advise varies from person to person depending on their goals and bodily needs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom