is this RP diet sustainable long time?

Dutchie

I was wondering if this way of eating is something one can maintain for the rest of their life? Obviously Ray himself eats like this quite a while but from what ive read also started on a later age.

Is there anyone here who eats within rp diet for some years/decade? And if so dont you sometimes get bored by it?
I ask bc im totally inspirationless and mostly eating the same everyday,but i cant imagine it this way becoming a lifestyle habit with such limited food options.

J

j.

Once your health gets better you probably wouldn't mind "cheating", and it probably wouldn't be noticeable for your health either.

Personally what I do is, I eat socially what is available, my health is good enough. When I buy, I follow all the advice. The thing I'm most reluctant to cheat with is vegetable oil.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Eating for a high metabolic rate helps to make sure things like degenerative diseases, heart attacks, cancers, and infections are less likely to happen . Why in the world would you want to eat any other way?

pboy

j. said:
Once your health gets better you probably wouldn't mind "cheating", and it probably wouldn't be noticeable for your health either.

Personally what I do is, I eat socially what is available, my health is good enough. When I buy, I follow all the advice. The thing I'm most reluctant to cheat with is vegetable oil.

I tell myself that in any situation, if the urge is strong enough, then I will eat whatever is available if its gonna be more stressful to find something else or wait. Strangely enough, I've never needed to eat something I haven't necessarily wanted to yet! (I usually bring a few things with me wherever I go in the case I need a snack or something). I sorta think, in a way, that a strong underlying message to the whole Peat diet is to avoid stress as much as possible...so anything that will dispel your personal stress, even if its occasionaly eating something not 100% Peat safe, is in a way, Peatish, because it is encouraging stress relief. This would have to be a personal decision but don't let anyone here make you feel guilty about it, its up to you to relieve your own stress however you see fit.

I'm with you J, the #1 thing I avoid (or would avoid) is trans fat, potentially reused oils, and things with soy lecithin if possible...and I'd actually rather buy preboxed, frozen, or prepared foods (manufactured type) over restaurant foods...I've worked in restaurants before and the sanitary'ness, care that workers have towards the food, quality control...ect is almost always hardly if even considered. Food is left out, rerefrigerated, left out, heated, displayed, reheated...ect ect, the dishes are kinda halfway cleaned or not even cleaned at all. People never wash their hands. They handle flour then put their hands directly into things like cheese, leaving raw flour residues...ect. I dunno, I just don't trust any restaurant pretty much

OP
D

Dutchie

I dont mean that i feel the need to cheat, i actually havent had pizzacravings in a while though nit sure when it would be in front of me. I mean more,how do you keep things exciting/variated with kind of a limited food palate?

HDD

I make crustless quiche using zucchini, egg, mozzarella, onion or a crab, Swiss cheese, egg, and onion. Shrimp or fish tacos. Rice pasta with shrimp alfredo sauce. Scallops are good too. Fajita's are good if you do beef or chicken..or just veggies of yellow squash, zucchini, onions, peppers. There are many ways to do potatoes (if you eat them). Fried rice is easy and can have egg, shrimp, or bits of meat. I probably would eat simpler if I was preparing only for myself.

I have to eat out at least 2x a week, so eating "clean" at home is not boring to me.

OP
D

Dutchie

So,there are people here who eat rice and corn and veggies.

Then i guess it's more my somewhat limited food palate. I got the impression that most people here only ate/drank oj,milk,eggs and other fruit(juices). i feel best with pure sucrose 1:1 nor even sligthly higher in fructose,but im having a hard time what to make of this mealwise

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Eating for a high metabolic rate helps to make sure things like degenerative diseases, heart attacks, cancers, and infections are less likely to happen . Why in the world would you want to eat any other way?
:yeahthat

I am fortunate that when I discovered Ray Peat, I very quickly could perceive the big picture and recognized immediately that his philosophy was a fit for me. The bigger bonus was finding out that the foods recommended were ones I enjoyed and could prepare quickly.

So this lifestyle works wonderfully for me. I like the ease and simpicity of it and if I want greater variety, well there are many options. I'm not even availing myself now of all the healthy options. And ultimately, I can eat whatever I want. One's mindset is important as emphasized by pboy.

I lived for years with that kind of stress, believing sugar was my problem. Turns out, it is my solution! Who knew? :roll:

Just because I came to this easily doesn't mean I don't have health issues to deal with. I do, but figuring out my food was relatively easy for me, although I continue tweaking things as I progress and restore my health.

I honestly believe that when one is healthy, there is little complaint about variety and things not working. I think one is then too busy living to complain about what they don't have. Instead they are focused on living in the now and dealing with what comes up in each moment. Our whole way of thinking and being change when our metabolism is primed and working optimally.

4peatssake

Dutchie said:

Then i guess it's more my somewhat limited food palate. I got the impression that most people here only ate/drank oj,milk,eggs and other fruit(juices). i feel best with pure sucrose 1:1 nor even sligthly higher in fructose,but im having a hard time what to make of this mealwise

Dutchie, I think it's important to find out what works for you, rather than being concerned what other people are doing. There is no right or wrong, just what works and what doesn't. It's individual for all of us.

If you understand the basics and avoid PUFAs, you can introduce the foods you like one by one to see how well you tolerate them. Some people tolerate rice very well and that is fine by Peat. He cautions against starch but for some starches are OK provided you add enough fat - butter or coconut oil. Same with potatoes, some people tolerate them very well.

The same with veggies - they need to be well cooked. I'm less versed in this aspect because I was thrilled to dump veggies from my diet. Personally, I wouldn't eat corn.

If you really want something - eat it - pboy is right, the stress of not having it is probably worse then eating it. I know when I go off plan, I usually pay dearly and that's incentive enough for me to focus on foods that make me feel good. I still usually choose Peat type food, like Haagen Dazs ice cream, but I have cheated and eaten chicken wings and pizza! :P

I believe It's important to take measures to feel good not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. If focusing on food is causing you stress, spend only a little time on it each day and do other things you enjoy. I think baths with epsom salt and baking soda are a must when we're stressed.

Maybe you can list all the foods you love to eat and start there. Getting the food right is so important and you do need to be happy with it or you won't be able to sustain it for long. This is exactly why every other diet I tried never worked for me. I was not happy with it and felt deprived and sometimes literally hated the food I was trying to force myself to eat.

That just doesn't work.

Sometimes stream of consciousness writing can unearth a lot of things we're not aware of. This could perhaps help you get to the bottom of what's bothering you about your food and help you make changes to make your food work for you.

Hope this helps and keep us posted about your progress!

gretchen

I haven't eaten out much in the last year but plan to be careful and to avoid cooked restaurant food as much as I can the rest of my life. No Panda bowls or even cafe food.

OP
D

Dutchie

4peatssake said:
Dutchie said:

Dutchie, I think it's important to find out what works for you, rather than being concerned what other people are doing. There is no right or wrong, just what works and what doesn't. It's individual for all of us.

If you understand the basics and avoid PUFAs, you can introduce the foods you like one by one to see how well you tolerate them. Some people tolerate rice very well and that is fine by Peat. He cautions against starch but for some starches are OK provided you add enough fat - butter or coconut oil. Same with potatoes, some people tolerate them very well.

The same with veggies - they need to be well cooked. I'm less versed in this aspect because I was thrilled to dump veggies from my diet. Personally, I wouldn't eat corn.

If you really want something - eat it - pboy is right, the stress of not having it is probably worse then eating it. I know when I go off plan, I usually pay dearly and that's incentive enough for me to focus on foods that make me feel good. I still usually choose Peat type food, like Haagen Dazs ice cream, but I have cheated and eaten chicken wings and pizza! :P

I believe It's important to take measures to feel good not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. If focusing on food is causing you stress, spend only a little time on it each day and do other things you enjoy. I think baths with epsom salt and baking soda are a must when we're stressed.

Maybe you can list all the foods you love to eat and start there. Getting the food right is so important and you do need to be happy with it or you won't be able to sustain it for long. This is exactly why every other diet I tried never worked for me. I was not happy with it and felt deprived and sometimes literally hated the food I was trying to force myself to eat.

That just doesn't work.

Sometimes stream of consciousness writing can unearth a lot of things we're not aware of. This could perhaps help you get to the bottom of what's bothering you about your food and help you make changes to make your food work for you.

Hope this helps and keep us posted about your progress!

Like I said,it's not that I actually feel like I miss certain foods,although I loved the rice porridge but now that I havent had starch/grains in a while I don't really crave/care for it anymore unless I start eating it again,but more the problem that I just don't know what to eat mealwise/feels like an actual meal with the foods in my current range.

I also sometimes get these 'mental images' in my head of certain foods and I really don't know if I can trust them,bc everytime when I start heating up I can feel my heart beat strongly and I get this really happy buzzing mental feeling&energy rush wanting to do stuff and then everytime the same ***t happens to me....I crave&eat something else and that buzz,heat and strong heartbeating return to normal level and it's not that I become lethargic but that 'feeling of wanting to do all kinds of stuff' slowl vanishes too and I usuallly have to kick myself in the butt to do it and once I do it's ok and I feel good.
So,this makes me wonder if that 'rush' is actually adrenal stress?or maybe still some bad gut bacteria that steer you to it in order to 'survive' bc higher metabolism 'kicks them out/improves digestion/motillity' as I seem to feel really bad or stressed rigth before I'm able to poop? Maybe bc it's the fact that I lived so long with lowbloodpressure/slow steady heartrate that the body can't handle it?......All I know is that I like that 'buzz" but it seems really hard to get it nowadays.

leo

Dutchie I know how you feel. Right now I am in diapers as far as this way of eating is concerned and am so focused on getting perfect bp, temps and pulse, with zero weight gain, that I just don't have it in me to come up with spectacular recipes. I am eating the basics, meat, fruit, milk, cheese and very very little oj (high bp).

Once things settle down and this becomes a little bit more habitual, I am going to try to come up with some nice home meals. We eat out a lot, have an active social life and I know it will be a challenge for me to behave. But at least at home, I can control what I eat. I'm a real foodie, so I want that aspect of this woe to come through.

For now, I am surprised I am not bored yet. Milk has become my go-to snack as well as parmegiano/grapes. Can not get enough! So far having a good time with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals