How Often Do You Eat Liver?

tara

I can't have buttermilk or any kind of dairy (slight allergy/sensitivity), which gets rid of the liver taste, so I don't eat it.
Just soaking in water has some of the effect of soaking in milk.

vulture

I don’t see the point in eating an ounce a day. Grab some deliciously tender calf’s liver if available, and sauté like 8 ounces of that ***t with onions, peppers and potatoes. Have it like once a week, it won’t kill you.
I really like this guy.
Once or twice a week, 150-250 g steak, onions, garlic and usually potatoes
And if it's not late, a good coffee to prevent iron absorption (that's what I read, but haven't researched that deep)

vulture

Once a week.

Huge beef liver, usually roasted in oven or breaded (gluten-free bread crumbs) and fried.

I actually enjoy the taste of liver, but can not imagine consuming it every day. It's really not that good and RP has said that every nutrient does not have to be consumed daily.
Any detail on that? I suppose the body might have some capacity to store some minerals and vitamins, but for how long?
I assume fat solubles can be ingested once every few days because they get stored in fat tissues, but what about water soluble vitamins? minerals? Zinc as long as I remember was OK to make some kind of "load" on weekends....but I'd like to know a list if there's some

yeggim

I tried doling out my liver in smaller portions in the form of beef liver pate. A couple ounces schmeared on sourdough bread 3 to 4 times a week. Seems smaller portions (for me) don't have that anti-fatigue factor that comes with a large single serving. When I feel my energy levels flagging, out comes the liver, oysters and eggs. I swear, liver is almost magical in it's ability to boost my stamina and well being.

RMJ

i used to hate liver ... but then I dicovers that really freh (calf)liver perpared the right way just tastes awesome

Atman

I ate my first piece of beef liver because of Peats work about 6 years ago.
I've never been ill since then.

Aymen

once or twice a week , i eat 100-200 g of lamb liver fried in butter with raw garlic and canned mushrooms .

Birdie

When it was available, I'd use calves' liver once a week.
Sauteed in butter with a little onion and some mushrooms, I loved it.

Now, I get a liver dinner every couple of weeks at Mimi's restaurant.
Haven't weighed it but it's a lot of liver and lasts me three days.

Aymen

Just wanted to add something , is that i saw in nutritiondata that lamb liver is more nutritious than beef liver .

TeaRex14

About one or two 4oz servings a week is all that's recommended. I typically make pate out of liver (cooked in coconut oil), cream, onions, garlic, salt, parsley, and hot sauce. I eat one spoonful everyday. This is well below 4ozs, so I figure doing it everyday isn't a problem. If you're concerned about maybe absorbing too much iron you could eat it with a cup a coffee which will block the iron to some extent.

Birdie

I buy sliced frozen liver (Tender Year, or Skylark brand) from Walmart. Tastes way better than the liver I was getting from Whole Foods.
I let the liver thaw *partially* for 15-30 minutes so it can be cut into tiny cubes (1/4" cubes, give or take).
You can cut an entire pound like this in 10 minutes.
Then place 1 or 1.5 ounce portions into little ziploc bags and put them back in the freezer. The whole process takes 40 minutes, including the cleanup -- tops. Thaw out a little bag every other day or so and you're good for almost a month
The best part.... you can just spoon it in your mouth raw and swallow it with some water ... maybe in 3 spoonfuls and you're done. No additional prep time or cooking.
Liver is pretty bad tasting (especially if it's not frozen quickly by the butcher), but honestly, I barely taste it at all using this method. Goes down real easy and if you chop it small there's no choking risk.

I like your idea of cutting up the semi frozen liver into serving size for the freezer.

The WalMart near me stopped carrying calves liver. In fact, they carry no liver at all.
I hated preparing it, but loved it once it was cooked in butter with sauteed onions and maybe mushrooms or bacon.

Now, I go to the only place near me that has beef liver, a restaurant, every week or so.

But does Ray advise eating raw liver? Maybe he does, since he sautees his in butter and doesn't cook it long.

Birdie

I ate my first piece of beef liver because of Peats work about 6 years ago.
I've never been ill since then.
Now that you mention it, pretty much true for me too. I think I've had a cold or two though.

I have to add that, after commenting, much later, I remembered that I did indeed become ill post starting with Peat. Yes, I was visiting Reno, testing it for possible retirement, altitude don’t you know, and for the first time in my life, got bronchitis.

(This wouldn’t reflect on liver use, since, I hadn’t had any for a couple of weeks.)

Last edited:

Cherry Garcia

I take on average 100g of liver about 3 times a week, when I'm consistent with it for many weeks at a time, it actually completely halts my PMS monthly debilitating migraine that I used to get...when I get lazy with the intake the migraine comes back with a vengeance. I now find I am struggling with the taste/texture of liver after about a years worth of on/off consumption. So I now will alternate between beef, lamb or chicken liver for variety....of all the 3 I prefer lamb as it is mildest tasting and softest.

Birdie

I am sad to say that chicken livers don’t give me the same sense of well being that I get immediately eating calves liver. Really too bad since they are gotten more easily where I live.

I made liver this week and have to tell you I was screaming bad language. I must eat it because it makes me feel alive and well. I think next time I’ll put music on. There must be a way to get through the cooking of it. One time I plugged my nose. Now, the smell doesn’t bother me. It’s all that blood. ?

And it’s easy to cook for me the chicken livers but although they will give me nutrients, I don’t feel the sense of well being.
I made enough to have a little four morning s this week. Froze some that I’ll bring out late next week. And, again in early March.

Then, will face the raw liver cooking horror again. It’s worth it to feel so great once it’s done.
@Cherry Garcia thank you. It is pretty amazing.

Cirion

I personally like the taste of Liverwurst. I eat about a pound a week of it. I believe the stuff I eat has like 20% liver but also 15% kidney and 15% heart, which I think may be more beneficial than just liver as kidney and heart is chock full of goodness as well. Chris Masterjohn is a big fan of the nutrition of liverwurst.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals