Hormonal combination of estradiol and norgestrel- pcos theraphy?

OP
Ulla

Ulla

Hey.

Today I got back results that were taken 30.12.2015 (30 days ago):

DHEA-S: 6.3 [3.6-12.9]
S - testosterone: 0.5 [0,3 - 2,0]
S- ANDROSTEDNDION: 3,1 [0,7 - 10,8]
TSH: 2,485 [0,55 - 4,78]
LH: 1,67 [1,1 - 39,8 - depends of phase in cycle]
S- FSH: 4,65 [depends]
S- prolactin: 3,59 [1,9 - 25]

My doc said my ovaries are sleeping, they think puberty is not here yet. I only need some stimulation. She suggested taking the pills with progestin.
I won't take them.
I will continue using progesten from Haidut (topically).
Any idea in what quantities?
What do you think about that results?

Because I am a very curious person and noticed an enlarged thyroid I gave a blood sample one more time (today morning).
It showed:
TSH 4,49 [0,55 - 4,78] - went up in 30 days. I don't know why excatly. I stop drinking milk because I got acne a while ago and thught that because of milk. Maybe I have a lack of calcium, I don't know, could that affect this?
T3 3,5 [3,1 - 6,8]
T4 10,8 [12,0 - 22,00]

That is first time in my life that having T4 below normal! T3 is higher.

I am thinking like my metabolism is improving, conversion is liver is going on but there apparently is not enough T4 from my thyroid? Since it is more needed in liver...

My history of TSH (T4 never below 11)

Please, comments? :)

Last edited:
OP
Ulla

Ulla

Please do! High prolactin can cause fertility problems and interfere with the menstrual cycle.

Hey.
I did post new results... (my previous post)

Do you have and advice, idea? :)

My AST and ALT liver enzymes are good,
glucose in the morning 4.1 mmol/ 94 mg
triglycerides 1.0 / 88.5 mg (went up from 0.44 mmol/ 40 mg)
HDL 2.3 mmol/ 89 mg
LDl 2.6 mmol/ 100 mg

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hey.
I did post new results... (my previous post)

Do you have and advice, idea? :)

My AST and ALT liver enzymes are good,
glucose in the morning 4.1 mmol/ 94 mg
triglycerides 1.0 / 88.5 mg (went up from 0.44 mmol/ 40 mg)
HDL 2.3 mmol/ 89 mg
LDl 2.6 mmol/ 100 mg
It would be helpful to know your total cholesterol because it is the building block for the protective steroid hormones. I believe there is a way to figure this out from the hdl, ldl and triglycerides but I do not remember the formula. So for hormonal balance we need adequate nutrition and adequate cholesterol. IIRC @ 200 mg/dl (this will need to be converted to mmol/mg) is desirable for the total cholesterol level when starting thyroid supplements.

In the Progest-e instructions it states: "If you have a goiter, progesterone's stimulation of the thyroid secretion may lead to transient hyperthyroidism. If so, it's better to shrink the thyroid with thyroid glandular first, then progesterone will not cause this effect."

So getting back to the question at hand if it were me I would first determine if I had adequate total cholesterol and if not take a look at dietary intake of adequate nutrition in general but especially fruit and other sugars which should help raise the cholesterol if it is low. Cholesterol rich foods cannot hurt either. Once this is taken care of if the thyroid is still enlarged the next step seems to be some type of thyroid supplement. Correcting these issues alone might improve the PCOS/ sex hormone imbalance. If it doesn't then increasing the progesterone at this point may be necessary. I would give the body a minimum of several months to sort this out and reach a balance. This is just how I would approach the situation if it were me.

OP
Ulla

Ulla

It would be helpful to know your total cholesterol because it is the building block for the protective steroid hormones. I believe there is a way to figure this out from the hdl, ldl and triglycerides but I do not remember the formula. So for hormonal balance we need adequate nutrition and adequate cholesterol. IIRC @ 200 mg/dl (this will need to be converted to mmol/mg) is desirable for the total cholesterol level when starting thyroid supplements.

In the Progest-e instructions it states: "If you have a goiter, progesterone's stimulation of the thyroid secretion may lead to transient hyperthyroidism. If so, it's better to shrink the thyroid with thyroid glandular first, then progesterone will not cause this effect."

So getting back to the question at hand if it were me I would first determine if I had adequate total cholesterol and if not take a look at dietary intake of adequate nutrition in general but especially fruit and other sugars which should help raise the cholesterol if it is low. Cholesterol rich foods cannot hurt either. Once this is taken care of if the thyroid is still enlarged the next step seems to be some type of thyroid supplement. Correcting these issues alone might improve the PCOS/ sex hormone imbalance. If it doesn't then increasing the progesterone at this point may be necessary. I would give the body a minimum of several months to sort this out and reach a balance. This is just how I would approach the situation if it were me.

Thank you so much.
My all together cholesterol is 5.2 mmol/ 200 mg.
I really stop eating eggs lately. I will add some into my diet. I will eat shrimps more often too.
I will wait for another month and then repeat the test for thyroid and lipid pannel. I am concerned about tryglicerids too because this is fisrt time in my life that they are so high but it is also for the first time eating so much fruit. Since AST and ALT are low I will not panic.

Thanks again Blossom. When I think I understand things then something new shows up and I feel stuck. Your advice seems nice explained.

Sorry for my English :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you so much.
My all together cholesterol is 5.2 mmol/ 200 mg.
I really stop eating eggs lately. I will add some into my diet. I will eat shrimps more often too.
I will wait for another month and then repeat the test for thyroid and lipid pannel. I am concerned about tryglicerids too because this is fisrt time in my life that they are so high but it is also for the first time eating so much fruit. Since AST and ALT are low I will not panic.

Thanks again Blossom. When I think I understand things then something new shows up and I feel stuck. Your advice seems nice explained.

Sorry for my English :)
Your English is fine! Since your cholesterol is good I don't think you need to worry about changing anything with your current intake of fruit/sugars or concern yourself with eating more cholesterol rich foods unless you want to because you like them or crave them. You would probably be fine to start exploring optimizing your thyroid function since you have years worth of labs showing normal (by conventional standards) but less than optimal thyroid function. Hopefully by assisting your thyroid with some supplemental thyroid hormones things may start to improve for you. Others may have some tips that I've not thought of that could benefit you as well. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.

OP
Ulla

Ulla

Your English is fine! Since your cholesterol is good I don't think you need to worry about changing anything with your current intake of fruit/sugars or concern yourself with eating more cholesterol rich foods unless you want to because you like them or crave them. You would probably be fine to start exploring optimizing your thyroid function since you have years worth of labs showing normal (by conventional standards) but less than optimal thyroid function. Hopefully by assisting your thyroid with some supplemental thyroid hormones things may start to improve for you. Others may have some tips that I've not thought of that could benefit you as well. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.

One more thing.
I was thinking that I stimulated the conversion of T4 to T3 lately so much and now I don't have enough T4. Do you think of this like a real option?
I upped my calories, I need to check my cronometer if there is something important I am missing...

I would rather fix that with food than with taking thyroid hormones :) if next time things won't get better I will go to my doctor.

OP
Ulla

Ulla

Another thing.

I added taurine 3-5 g/day ten days ago. My blood sample was taken after 7 days of supplementing taurine.
I haven't noticed any special effects, don't sleep more or anything like that but could it be related to lower T4?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One more thing.
I was thinking that I stimulated the conversion of T4 to T3 lately so much and now I don't have enough T4. Do you think of this like a real option?
I upped my calories, I need to check my cronometer if there is something important I am missing...

I would rather fix that with food than with taking thyroid hormones :) if next time things won't get better I will go to my doctor.
I do believe there are definitely situations where a person's thyroid function is low from not eating enough and that can be fixed by food. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Another thing.

I added taurine 3-5 g/day ten days ago. My blood sample was taken after 7 days of supplementing taurine.
I haven't noticed any special effects, don't sleep more or anything like that but could it be related to lower T4?
I honestly don't know on the taurine effecting your labs. I could only guess that it might have helped out your liver a bit but that would be pure speculation.

Nik665

"There’s a special problem with the basis for diagnosing estrogen deficiency, because in the absence of anti-estrogen substances such as progesterone, the estrogen in the blood can go to a very low level, because the estrogen is staying inside cells, and progesterone knocks it out of cells, inactivates it, but causes it to appear in the blood stream on its way out the kidneys. So, in the absence of progesterone, doctors will measure a low level of serum estrogen, and prescribe it, even though, under that situation, it’s very likely that their tissues, breast and uterus in particular, are actually overloaded with a chronic supply of estrogen."

Great thread.
And great quote on confusion about "low estrogen".
Peat did say that for females if prolactin was 11 or under and estrogen serum was low then it was a good sign the estrogen was actually low

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals