• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Histamine And His Role In Sleep/wake And AD(H)D

Kasper

Wow, I've been studying histamine for some time, and it's quite interesting, but so hard ! Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm kind of noob with biology and pubmed, and I'm sure I make mistakes all the time.

Histamine in the hypothalamus seems to have some role in regulating sleep wake cycles. In rats it seems to be highest at one hour after the light went on, and lowest one hour after the lights turned off.

Twenty-four hour rhythms of histamine (H), its biosynthetic enzyme, L-histidine decarboxylase (EC 4.1.1.22, HD) and its inactivation enzyme, histamine N-methyltransferase (EC 2.1.1.8, HMT) were assayed in the 63-day-old male rat hypothalamus using a modified single isotopeenzyme microassay. H was found to have a 24-h rhythm with a maximum concentration at 11:00 h (lights on 10:00-22:00 h) and a minimum at 23:00 h.

I find this interesting as I feel dreamy during the day without medication. And this medication works by increasing histamine in the hypothalamus.
It's been known that people with ADHD produces quite more brain waves (gamma and delta waves) that are associated with (deep) sleeping, during the day.
I guess that maybe increasing histamine in the hypothalamus makes sure people mainly have alpha/beta brain waves that are more associated with feeling awake.

But, if I read Ray Peat, he seem to think that histamine is little bit like estrogen. Maybe histamine in the brain and histamine from mast cells have really different functions ? I don't know. But I don't think it is bad thing to feel awake during the day ! :P

Consequently, mice that lack brain histamine are unable to remain awake when high vigilance is required, e.g., at lights off or when they are placed in a new environment (Parmentier et al., 2002). Together, these results indicate that histaminergic neurons have a key role in maintaining the brain awake under normal conditions and in the presence of behavioral challenges. They promote wakefulness through their direct widespread projections to the cerebral cortex and indirectly via their subcortical targets in the thalamus, basal forebrain and brainstem (Lin et al., 1996b).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
aliml 6 Steps To Naturally Treat Histamine Intolerance Articles & Scientific Studies 3
M Cortisol and histamine Blood Work, Labs 43
N Nothing seems to help histamine issues after T3 Skin 3
L Interpreting Labs (Low histamine/High Copper) Ask For Help or Advice 16
M Do policosanols and vitamin b1 have any interactions with other nutrients? how does thiamine affect methyl groups, other b vitamins and histamine? Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Low or high histamine??! Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Which Magnesium with histamine issues? Ask For Help or Advice 1
M What would a good Low histamine diet look like? Ask For Help or Advice 16
W Low histamine diet Discussing Dietary Models 42
M Protein sources if milk not tolerated and histamine issues ? Ask For Help or Advice 19
S Someone explain the connection between sucrose and flaking facial skin? and Histamine Diet 0
A Regular HIIT Exercise Enhances Health via Histamine Metabolism 3
Mauritio Serotonin, PUFA and histamine increase leaky brain Articles & Scientific Studies 6
M My histamine intolerance / hair loss is indeed a zinc / copper issue Ask For Help or Advice 21
A High ferritin, low tibc, high b12, high folate, low vit d, low sexual function, low histamine? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Rinse & rePeat Gelatinous Low Histamine CHICKEN Bone Broth AND dinner in under 3 Hours (with photos) Gelatin 50
Hgreen56 Anti-Peat Excess nicotinamide increases plasma serotonin and histamine levels Debate - Anti-Peat 2
S Histamine intolerance explained through a Ray Peat prism Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 50
W Famotidine (Pepcid) for (ulcer?)/ histamine reactions etc? Ask For Help or Advice 6
D Selenium supplements reduce histamine release Articles & Scientific Studies 6
beeohbeebeewhy Borderline Hypothyroid, Histamine Intolerance? Leaky Gut? Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO?? Need Help Digestion, Gut Flora 51
A Anti-aging, more collagen production, youthful appearance due to glitch re: histamine? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
Michael Mohn Bifonazole, otc anti fungal, strong aromatase inhibitor, anti histamine, anti inflammatory Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
M Anybody here really cured histamine intolerance? Ask For Help or Advice 103
T Every Morning I Have A Histamine Reaction - Itching All Over - Before I've Eaten Or Done Anything Ask For Help or Advice 26
haidut Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Caused By Histamine And Serotonin Scientific Studies 14
Julian Solving Histamine Intolerance With Peppermint Oil? DO Or DON'T Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 13
haidut Estrogen And Histamine, Not HPV, Drive Cervical Cancer Scientific Studies 6
Energizer #33: NAD+/NADH, Stress, And Fatty Acids | How To Use T3, T4, And Aspirin | Histamine | Milk And Acne Danny Roddy 0
Elize What Can Be Used To Lower Histamine But Not Cortisol Fruit Juice 54
F Iodine (kelp) For Clearing Histamine? Ask For Help or Advice 1
F Iodine (kelp) For Clearing Histamine? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 5
redsun Studies On Histamine's Effects Scientific Studies 43
ddjd Cortisol Itself Lowers Histamine Levels Ask For Help or Advice 12
Elize Cannabidiol For Mast Cell Activation And Histamine Intolerance? | Healing Histamine Thyroid and Hormones 2
berk Question For Anyone With Histamine Intolerance Diet 1
theDao Combating Elevated Cortisol & Histamine Resulting From Jogging & Sprinting Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 55
berk 2 Questions For People With Histamine Intolerance Additives, Cookware, Eating Out, Spices 2
Hans The High Dopamine & Histamine Personality Articles 34
K B1 / Thiamine Causing Histamine Issues Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 28
hiconscience I Think I Cured My Histamine Intolerance Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 28
managing Histamine, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 3
R Silent Reflux, Blurry Vision, Slow Metabolism. Histamine Or Something Else? Ask For Help or Advice 5
M Low Histamine / Nutrient Dense Food List? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Amazigh Niacinamide + Methyl Donor To Avoid Histamine Increase? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
BTD Niacinamide = Nasal Congestion (histamine Reaction?) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
A Coping With Histamine, Mood, Skin Issues And Beyond Logs 48
L Vitamin C And Histamine Levels Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 3
M Histamine Intolerance Unbeatable? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 19
M Most Nutrient Dense Low Histamine Foods? Ask For Help or Advice 0