Grains And Joint Pain

Sobieski

Prior to adopting a Peat approach to diet, I had lots of joint issues, which I had mostly resolved. However after around 4-5 months of Peating I had started to develop severe insomnia. After 3 weeks without sleep, I started eating oatmeal again along with some brown rice as they are a sure fire way to get me sleeping.

I've been eating oats everyday for the past few weeks and sure enough, my joint pains are coming back. Stiff, sore fingers, sudden pains in shoulders etc, I feel like I'm skirting injury everyday, so I'm cutting them out.

What is the mechanism that is causing this? It's very frustrating because when I eat oats, I have a very positive calm mental outlook that isn't provided by other foods, not to mention a boost in libido.

It could be caused by endotoxin from your gut bacteria. Grains, and grasses in general rely heavily on fructans for their energy storage. These are basically like starch but are chains of fructose, these are particularly difficult for humans to digest and they will be readily fermented in the gut. If excessive, this will promote disbiosis over time.

Ania

Any food can cause joint inflamation in my case. First it was milk. Now it is carrot, coffee, gelatine, bell peppers potatoes. Practiacally anything, that I eat daily or far too often becomes a problem which attacs my joints. In my case the most crucial think is rotating all foods. It is becoming more and more complicated. The choices are limitted now taking into account all sensivities plus excluding unacceptable foods.

OP
S

Sobieski

It could be caused by endotoxin from your gut bacteria. Grains, and grasses in general rely heavily on fructans for their energy storage. These are basically like starch but are chains of fructose, these are particularly difficult for humans to digest and they will be readily fermented in the gut. If excessive, this will promote disbiosis over time.
So would avoiding fructose in general be a wise decision? Thanks!

So would avoiding fructose in general be a wise decision? Thanks!
Not necessarily, if you took a bunch of sucrose at once, it may ferment in the upper intestine a bit, but only if you have severe sibo. Sucrose is usually very quickly absorbed, especially when eaten without fat and protein. There may be other reasons to avoid fructose but disbiosis isn't one, in most cases. The complex carbs are the ones that pose the problem in cases of disbiosis.
Any food can cause joint inflamation in my case. First it was milk. Now it is carrot, coffee, gelatine, bell peppers potatoes. Practiacally anything, that I eat daily or far too often becomes a problem which attacs my joints. In my case the most crucial think is rotating all foods. It is becoming more and more complicated. The choices are limitted now taking into account all sensivities plus excluding unacceptable foods.
Their appears to be a growing correlation between allergies and disbiosis in the newer scientific literature. I would suggest maybe eating lightly for most of the day so when you do eat a major meal, your gut lining will be best suited to keeping foreigns molecules out of your bloodstream, and overtime try to shift your microbiome into less numbers and greater diversity.

Hazarlar

You might have VITAMIN D deficiency also. I started to Peat March this year. I dropped fish entirely. I ate 500 grams of fish a day before, very often. This is lot of D! I did well in summer but developed insomnia in October and November. When I started fill cronometer like 3 weeks ago, I noticed the very lack of D and K, and E also because off lack of PUFA. But I eat like 50 000 IU of vitamin A a day, sometimes from beef liver. Now taking D and K and Mg together, and normal sleep has returned in past week.

OP
S

Sobieski

You might have VITAMIN D deficiency also. I started to Peat March this year. I dropped fish entirely. I ate 500 grams of fish a day before, very often. This is lot of D! I did well in summer but developed insomnia in October and November. When I started fill cronometer like 3 weeks ago, I noticed the very lack of D and K, and E also because off lack of PUFA. But I eat like 50 000 IU of A day, sometimes from beef liver. Now taking D and K and Mg together, and normal sleep has returned in past week.

That's an interesting theory, but I must add that I work outside and supplement with vitamin D. I also eat white fish (small amounts of vitamin d) and eggs.

It's very frustrating trying to find a balance. When I feel great mentally, I start to fall apart physically and vice versa.

Hazarlar

Oats are very high in phytic acid that may cause problems with calcium and zinc absorbtion. I ate them through my childhood everyday, but not any more.

Greek philosophers and gladiators also ate lot of oats.

There is some component that increases libido in them. Quote from Internet ---> "Avenacosides are the actives in Avena Sativa. They are said to dramatically improve total and free testosterone levels, reduce SHBG, display cortisol-modulating properties, and enhance mood and recovery."

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals