AIP Works When Peat Diet Doesn't, Why?

tara

I am no expert, and do not suffer arthritis, so this is just thoughts, not experience with the condition.

I think some people with arthritis specifically react badly to nightshades, so I too think potatoes (and any of their relatives) may be worth testing to see whether or not they suit you for this reason, in addition to the possible issues with starch.
(I'm not against potatoes - I eat plenty myself. I am in favour of observing personal responses to the various risks that different foods entail.)

I too favour moderation with refined sugars, lest they exacerbate micronutrient deficiencies. Maybe try different fruits/juices, or straining them, or considering ripeness/quality, and see if that makes a difference?

Milk seems to suit some people and not others. You may be able to find a form that does suit if you try different kinds, but if it's not working for you, it's probably not worth it, at least at this time. (I love milk and cheese. This is hard for me, but I seem to do better when I avoid it. )

I too think breathing is worth attending too, though I don't think it's either/or. For me, it seems a better diet can help support better breathing, which supports health in various ways. And where there are unhelpful breathing habits, soe deliberate attention to changing them can probably help too.

I guess you know Peat's doesn't generally favour eating a lot of grains and legumes, and recognises gut inflammation as a significant issue that can be worth avoiding.

Exactly what triggers gut inflammation can vary a bit from person to person, though there seem to be some common culprits so susceptible people. Peat found strained juice better, and noted when they started dissolving the fibre in OJ instead of filtering it, it did not seem so good. Mittir (former poster, not sure if he's still active here, but you can search for excellent posts) said he found certain brands of clear apple juice tolerable, but not OJ, for instance.

Simba1992

Thanks for the advice, i'll likely wait to do that because of cost and I suspect that may not be the issue. I did recently get tested for both H pylori and celiac and both came back negative. (Years ago I did have H pylori, went on 2 rounds of antibiotics, I suspect the bug did some damage)

The reason I suspect zinc and copper may not be the issue is the reactive nature of my symptoms. I can lay off dairy/grains/beans for awhile, eliminations found in AIP, and my joint pain will be at ~30% relative to the pain I would get consuming those foods. I was also likely consuming more copper and zinc on AIP as well.

BUT I suppose if excess free copper and zinc symptoms are masked by the cortisol surge that AIP would give me, maybe it is a potential issue I shouldn't write off. But the correlation in milk, cheese, grain, bean consumption and joint pain is strong.

I didn't always have these intolerances which is giving me hope on my hunt to fix what seems like a potentially reversible immune dysfunction I developed later in life.

When I had my zinc and copper tested, they were in fact too low and I needed to supplement these. I have understood that this is often the case in RA. In fact copper is seen as preventing RA. In a study done in Finland it was shown that people working in copper mines had significantly less joint problems. So I am a bit confused.

OP
Ryan

Ryan

Exactly what triggers gut inflammation can vary a bit from person to person, though there seem to be some common culprits so susceptible people. .

Dairy seems to be my worst one, not unbearable like grains and beans, but I've been doing dairy for the past 7 months or so of peating and it has had a cumulative effect. I have tried different brands, but maybe I should try goat milk next. For now i'm tapering dairy, including lots of nutrients, and doing supplemental protein and liver/digestive support. I'm thinking "leaky gut" is my (and many other sufferers of immune) issue with reactions, and i'm hoping the protein will heal the damaged tissue.

When I had my zinc and copper tested, they were in fact too low and I needed to supplement these. I have understood that this is often the case in RA. In fact copper is seen as preventing RA. In a study done in Finland it was shown that people working in copper mines had significantly less joint problems. So I am a bit confused.

This is a bigger possibility imo as I haven't been consistent with eating liver. I also remembering hearing Peat mention in an interview, and i'm paraphrasing so bear with me, that pinched nerves could be a copper deficiency. Cu deficiency creates a swelling in tissue that will put pressure on nerves, essentially pinching them. It was demonstrated in horses kept in a barn on a diet consisting primarily of hay.

Energizer

Still eating peat, just really trying to keep inflammation down using supplements like pregnenelone, vit e and k, caffeine, aspirin, sugar, gelatin etc, but I wish I didn't have to rely on so many supplements to make the diet pain free

I don't think the peat diet is the real issue here either. The real issue is my compromised immune function and maybe digestive health (developed in my early 20s); many people can tolerate the foods that I cannot. My goal is to find out the mechanism that creates the pain and fix it, while adhering to a peaty diet. What did AIP fix that peat is currently not? and how can I supplement the peat diet to permanently fix the issue?

My current peaty diet consists of:
2 quarts milk
1 quart juice (usually oj, sometimes apple or grape)
~1 cup of sugar
Fruits like cherries, dates, melons, grapes, apples, pears (sometimes cooked)
cheese
protein (usually eggs, sometimes meat)
Weekly oysters and chicken liver
Great lakes gelatin
1-2 potatoes daily
butter, sour cream, salt

I wish I could do the carrot, but I recently got braces and had to stop. I just picked up charcoal today actually, too early to tell if that will help

grains, beans, starch are all inflammatory for many people. I would not eat those at all if I had arthritic symptoms. And if you miss vegetables, I don't see why you couldn't incorporate vegetable broths, which are safer for nutrient assimilation than eating the vegetables themselves.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals