Eczema And Joint Pain

Nina

Hello!
I've been having eczema for a few weeks, and I don't know how to get rid of it. I had a lot of eczema many years ago, and I think it went away when I stopped eating most dairy products. However, I resumed having dairy after a year or two, and eczema did not come back.
I recently switched to 1% organic milk in a attempt to lower my fat intake. (used to have 2%)
A reaction to added vitamins in milk?
I'm also having more sugar and fruits. (fairly new for me)
I'm using shea butter, which is great, but it only helps temporarily.
I wonder if I might have an allergy to something in my shampoo? tried switching brands but they might all share same ingredient.
Bag-breating helps a lot, but I'd really like to find the source of the problem.
Doesn't this sound like some allergic reaction?
Usually my skin is nice in the morning and it gets worse as the day goes on.

Also, I've been having knee pain and sometimes hip pain since I started peating, and It's getting worse. Inflammation?

Someone recently said something here I found interesting about "changing/switching your health landscape/picture". I can't find it unfortunately, but I always had that feeling, that I solved one health problem, but then it kind of moved to another "level". For example, solving fatigue, then getting eczema, removing dairy - solving eczema, then getting depression, taking medication - getting rid of depression, then having digestive issues, etc.

What I'm saying is, eczema is annoying, but in terms of the "shifting of my health landscape" , it's really minor. Still, I'd really like to get rid of it of course. And knee pain.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Ledo

My experience with eczema and joint pain is that they are caused by intestinal inflammation.

I would change the milk consumption to a cheese like Parmesan instead. You can vary the animal...cheeses from sheep seem mild to me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ledo, :welcome

Good to know about the intestinal inflammation and eczema connection.

See ya around the forum. :hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

Giraffe

Pina said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95368/ Also, I've been having knee pain and sometimes hip pain since I started peating, and It's getting worse. Inflammation?
There could be a connection to gut inflammation, but it could also be something with your posture. Do you have the pain on both sides or just on one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

"Insert quote in the Quick Reply form"

Cool feature! Charlie, Is this new?

OP
Nina

Nina

Ledo said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95874/ My experience with eczema and joint pain is that they are caused by intestinal inflammation.

I would change the milk consumption to a cheese like Parmesan instead. You can vary the animal...cheeses from sheep seem mild to me.
That's interesting. It's a coincidence, but I have been drinking less milk lately, and eating more cheese, and the eczema is better. Other thing: tomato sauce. I love it but I should always make it myself and remove the seeds. It's another thing I haven't eaten in the last week or so.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Giraffe said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95880/ "Insert quote in the Quick Reply form"

Cool feature! Charlie, Is this new?
Sure is. :D

I plan on making a post in the future with the extensions we have on the forum and information about them. Lots of really cool stuff! I am excited and am glad others are too. :ugeek:

Last edited:
OP
Nina

Nina

Giraffe said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95878/
Pina said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95368/ Also, I've been having knee pain and sometimes hip pain since I started peating, and It's getting worse. Inflammation?
There could be a connection to gut inflammation, but it could also be something with your posture. Do you have the pain on both sides or just on one?
Wouldn't have thought of that! My posture has changed since peating. That is so interesting.
I used to keep my back rounded, head forward, shoulders slouching, I was so tired. In the morning I would walk like a little old lady (back when I was talking tryptophan supplements). When I'm really careful with food, my feet have a better arch, and all my posture is better. It's not constant, though, and I have been "straying" a lot during the summer vacations (but the pain started before, on both sides). I should probably get shoes with better support. Light exercice, and patience. Thanks Giraffe!

DankMemes

I've recently cut down my fat intake from ~80g a day to ~10g a day and have noticed joint pain in my hip, knees and wrist and I'm only 22.

Another user suggested it could be because saturated fats are mild antibiotics so they can help prevent endotoxins. The pain also started at the same time as I tore a rhomboid muscle in the gym and according to one of Dr P's articles it's not uncommon for arthritis to appear after an accident or injury.

And to throw another variable into the mix the pain started to appear when I decided to cut out supplements, so maybe without the 2g of aspirin a day my thyroid is weaker and joint pain is appearing.

Here's a peatish article about arthritis:

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/1 ... arthritis/

Gl;itch.e

Ledo said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95874/ My experience with eczema and joint pain is that they are caused by intestinal inflammation.
Id second this in regards to the eczema at least for me. I would get really itchy annoying eczema every winter. A daily Carrot salad killed it very quick the first time I started doing it. After awhile I stopped eating the carrot salad and found it came back after a week or two. It would only take one or two carrot salads to clear the eczema again. Now I haven't had any carrot salads so far this winter and haven't had it come back as yet. If I do I know what I need to do. Up my fibre in the form of carrots!

OP
Nina

Nina

While searching for tips on an elimination diet, I found this enlightening post:

ilovethesea said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/76486/ I found something on the Facebook group that is relevant to our histamine discussion (and very encouraging)!

This is from Zachariah.

Zachariah Salazar wrote:
ALL histamine 'problems' are hormonal problems. Thats the problem of the allergy people, its all single factor. You want to look at everything that influences histamine, histaminase, inflammation, swelling, stress they all affect the reactions. People also are not told that the adrenaline/cortisol rushes they get from whatever stressful situation they are in PROTECT then from excess histamine. When you heal and reduce adrenaline/cortisol people often get more histamine reactions so they think or are told that they have a new problem. Its still the same old problem and healing comes in stages. If no one tells you the stages (cuz how would you know?) then its easy to be lulled into all kinds of weird tests and titles (you have this now, oh no!)

Its not really a theory Its just what you see when you start to read enough physiology and digestion and hormone stuff. You start saying to yourself "How can so and so say that when histamine is affected by this and this and that, that its not a single factor?" The you start saying it out loud. Then you see hundreds of people that have there exotic histamine problems disappear when other things go right for them in their life. I had terrible allergies as a kid, hundreds of painful shots in my back and arms. My mom did a lot of investigation and finally met an old school doc (whom if my recollection is correct was about 80, smoked, and still made house calls). At the time the doc recommended more animal fats, butter, to stay away from veggie oils, to drink whole milk not skim,eat more eggs, to eat ice cream if I couldnt handle milk yet (I was told I had a milk allergy), lots of salt, eat more shellfish, have some brewers yeast etc exactly the opposite of what my allergy docs said. I mysteriously got better I imagine a lot of the same advice would work now a days on a child if its was the 70s again and the quality and availability of animal fats was better than they are now.

I had thought I was developing all these new food sensitivities/allergy symptoms on the Ray Peat diet, and that things were getting worse... but from this perspective maybe the problems were always there, just covered up by my high cortisol/adrenaline ( I know for sure I had high cortisol from testing, and I used to get what I thought were "seasonal" allergies).

So the fact that cortisol and adrenaline are coming down is really promising, and maybe these reactions won't be permanent and someday my tolerance will improve!

So my new plan is this:
- more patience, less scratching...
- Less milk, but whole, only in coffee (helps me digest coffee. Problems seem to have started at the same time as 1% milk change)
- no coffee on a empty stomach
- bag-breathing (I always forget, but it really helps my eczema)
- eggshell powder in sparkling water (instead of in OJ, which I'm not sure about)
- oranges instead of OJ
- Less starch (trying to control weight, seems to work)
- absolutely no exception on tomato seeds and cucumber seeds since I pay for it for days

And since I'm having a moment of discouragement, this plan starts right now with some ice cream :drool

OP
Nina

Nina

Hi!
I was craving 7-up so I made myself some fuzzy lemonade... it made me feel so good! just had to share.

I mixed the juice of a lemon, 2 cups sparkling water, and white sugar (about 1/4 cup). :drool

Sugar might be my new best friend.

Eczema still there, but joint pain seems to be diminishing.

Yesterday I had homemade broth with asian seasonings (pho broth), and after my skin was very itchy. Fish sauce? I'll test it again.

I had a lot of stress recently. Motivation went down. Trying to face the stressful situation head-on.

I'm basically thinking about food all the time. Planning food, buying food, cooking food, snacking, cronometering food, raypeatcomforumering food...

School lunches are so hard to do. I feel like I'm doing something heroic each morning.

Thanks for reading, awesome people.

tara

OP
Nina

Nina

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/98158/ The lemon might be doing something too.
Definitely craving lemon! A nice change from orange sometimes. Some lemon is also very good on broccoli with grated cheese... Someone's hungry! Yay!

+ I think I found the/a cause of my troubles +

Yesterday I went for a walk and I began to have pain under my heel, it made it almost impossible to walk. So with the eczema, joint pain, and now my foot, my boyfriend looks at me like I'm crazy with this Ray Peat adventure, and my brain goes back to full computing mode.

So I lie down exhausted and depressed in the room I work in at home, and I look up: there are two huge bright light bulbs, and I've been toasting under them for hours. This type of high wattage compact fluorescent lights. It's bright like luminotherapy. I always wondered about those... I can't find the info again, but it seems they emit a lot of EMF and dirty electricity. Anyway, there gone now, so we'll see.

Also, I had a major stress recently, and I underestimated its effect. (both parents having serious health conditions). Trying to relax about this, maybe some yoga.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals