GF having irregular periods

ianfis

My gf is very healthy and has had a lot of benefits from taking progest-e. She has good temps and eats a lot with minimal pufa. However, since starting progest-e she has been having irregular periods. For starters, she has had about 2.5 periods over the course of 35 days. The first one started later than normal, then came back minimally. then she had a normal one, but now she is having another one only two weeks later. Her PMS is nonexistent. At first she didnt take per peat's timing-within-cycle recommendations, but now she is, so she is shocked by this most recent bleeding. She wonders if maybe the "middle" period was just a fluke, as this one right now would technically be "on time". It isn't too concerning because we know her body will do what it needs to do, I am just requesting thoughts and making sure we shouldnt be concerned.

Peachy

How much is she taking? How long since she transitioned to a cyclical schedule?

OP
ianfis

ianfis

How much is she taking? How long since she transitioned to a cyclical schedule?
She is not taking very much, like 1 drop. Technically she has either begun the cycle rn or it’s been a month, not sure.

ThinPicking

Fis judging by your Twitter account your "girl"friend simply needs to drink a few olympic swimming pools of full fat milk over the course of a year or so.

Thank me later.

Peachy

She is not taking very much, like 1 drop. Technically she has either begun the cycle rn or it’s been a month, not sure.
I'm not sure where she is with diet changes, but usually you'd start there and maybe add in some progesterone later. Though, if she's young, there's a good chance progesterone wouldn't be needed.

There's also the option of taking some herbs short term to nudge things in the right direction (with the diet changes).

ursidae

Fis judging by your Twitter account your "girl"friend simply needs to drink a few olympic swimming pools of full fat milk over the course of a year or so.

Thank me later.
OP, you're being closely watched... :watching:
better start locking the doors at night or one day you'll walk in on the ray peat secret policia shuffling through your underwear

Last edited:
OP
ianfis

ianfis

I'm not sure where she is with diet changes, but usually you'd start there and maybe add in some progesterone later. Though, if she's young, there's a good chance progesterone wouldn't be needed.

There's also the option of taking some herbs short term to nudge things in the right direction (with the diet changes).
thank you peachy.

ThinPicking

Yes extensive digging and monitoring was required. I'm still quite surprised it wasn't more a statistical improbability that "ianfis" would return youtube and twitter at the top of a google search.

Last edited:

Peatress

Just posting this here in case someone lands on this thread and thinks one drop of progest E is going to make a difference to their menstrual cycle.

37:43 — Clarifications on the progesterone Progest-E product by Kenogen
38:49 — What could cause a strange reaction to progesterone? "Have you had a blood test for vitamin D and TSH [thyroid function]? High estrogen increases the conversion of progesterone to the 5- metabolite, but thyroid and progesterone lower estrogen, preventing the exaggeration of that pathway. A vitamin D deficiency disturbs many hormones, and can cause breast pain.” Ray Peat on breast pain while using progesterone (2018)
39:19 — "The effects of estrogen and progesterone are systemically opposed to each other—estrogen excites, progesterone calms, estrogen cools, progesterone heats, estrogen increases nitric oxide, progesterone lowers it, etc." Ray Peat (2017)
41:20 — Ray recalls a woman with severe hyperestrogenemia who didn’t respond to 400 milligrams of progesterone who likely needed to work on the liver to restore balance

Peachy

Just posting this here in case someone lands on this thread and thinks one drop of progest E is going to make a difference to their menstrual cycle.
It could. When I use just 3 drops a day during the luteal phase it makes a big difference.

Peatress

It could. When I use just 3 drops a day during the luteal phase it makes a big difference.
I said one drop and you are saying 3 drops makes a difference. You haven’t said if the difference is good or bad. Which ever it is those interveiw clips might help you understanding what’s going on.

Peachy

I said one drop and you are saying 3 drops makes a difference. You haven’t said if the difference is good or bad. Which ever it is those interveiw clips might help you understanding what’s going on.
I said 3 drops makes a big difference for me. A positive difference. And that's topically. So I'm not going to rule out that someone could get some effect from one drop. I'm familiar with Peat's explanations on dosage.

Peatress

I said 3 drops makes a big difference for me. A positive difference. And that's topically. So I'm not going to rule out that someone could get some effect from one drop. I'm familiar with Peat's explanations on dosage.
Good for you. If you listen to those clips you will appreciate why it is appropriate for this thread.

Last edited:

Peachy

Good for you. If you listen to those clips you will appreciate why it is appropriate for this thread.
Yes, the clips are great and appropriate. I just didn't immediately think dosage issue when I read the original post, even though I do agree that 1 drop/day is very low. I do see people react (and not react) very differently to progest-e so who knows. His gf seemed to be quite impacted by it and he said she had no PMS symptoms. Sometimes that shortened cycle length resolves itself after an adjustment period (and was probably made worse by her starting out incorrectly.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals