Low Toxin Diet Folate: A likely neurotoxin

arcsapien

I've been silently observing the Ray Peat Forum since around 2019. In 2021, I discovered and joined Grant’s Vitamin A toxicity forum, where I've been following a low Vitamin A diet ever since. I've been fascinated by and supportive of the growing movement recognizing Vitamin A as a toxin, and I'm grateful for the direction Charlie is leading this forum.

Over the past few years, my personal journey and venture into wellness coaching have been enlightening. Through hands-on experience with clients, I've gained valuable insights. It's a personal goal of mine to become more actively involved in this forum and others.

That being said, I'm surprised there aren't more discussions drawing attention to folate as a potential toxin. Whenever this topic arises, the response tends to echo the reactions to suggesting Vitamin A toxicity. It often clashes with the multitude of mechanistic studies and health influencers, immediately polarizing people. "But methylation! But DNA repair! But neurotransmitters! How dare you!? Folate is God’s gift.” But is it?

There's a somewhat comical aspect to vitamin science when it comes to distinguishing between "synthetic" and "natural" forms, also known sometimes as methylated counterparts. Folate is deemed good, but folic acid is labeled as bad. Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (B6) is praised, but pyridoxine is condemned. For those familiar with the ongoing discussions surrounding B6 interventions, it's clear there's a wealth of experiential evidence that contradicts the plethora of mechanistic studies typically funded by major institutional authorities. B6, regardless of its form, is toxic. Interestingly, even these mechanistic studies illustrate how the body converts all B6 forms interchangeably between "active" and inactive states. There are thousands of testimonials that back this idea, and there are several forums dedicated to raising awareness about B6 toxicity. The issue of B6 toxicity has come to light, and one of the main products of government fortification programs is facing growing scrutiny.

But I'm not here to discuss B6; I'm here to discuss B9. Another "vitamin" with a narrow therapeutic range, akin to Vitamin A, it claims to address the very issues it can also provoke in excess. Like Vitamin A, the right amount of folate prevents neural tube defects, but an excessive intake can lead to the same problem. Mainstream medicine suggests that the difference between these contrasting effects can be as little as 500mcg—a minute dosage compared to many other substances, highlighting its glaring absurdity.

All types of folate display neurotoxic effects at doses ranging from 300 mcg to 1000 mcg, or 1 mg—the smallest limit on nearly any supplement. Surprisingly, the "therapeutic" dose mirrors that of Vitamin A, which exhibits toxicity in medical literature at approximately 1 mg daily. This highlights the substantial toxicity of folate.

“Science” postulates that folate might conceal the symptoms of B12 deficiency, potentially causing neurological harm. Numerous health influencers emphasize the detrimental effects folate can have in the presence of a B12 deficiency. They insist, "You must raise your B12 levels for folate to be effective." (Lol) Are you familiar with the "folate trap"? It's an absolutely absurd concept that's often promoted to those who are intellectually gullible. They'd have to think that the tiny doses of this highly toxic substance you're ingesting are making you feel unwell because you need to ensure you're adequately supplied with genuine nerve-protecting agents.

We shouldn't supplement with folate for two primary reasons. Firstly, because most people already consume toxic levels of it. Secondly, genuine deficiency is exceedingly rare, except in cases of extreme malnutrition such as seen in starving children in Africa. This strategy mirrors a common tactic employed by Big Pharma, which attributes symptomatic phenomena to a specific nutrient deficiency, while ignoring the broader context of overall malnutrition (I mean a starving person in Africa, come on!). Similar tactics have been used to justify claims of Vitamin A deficiency in various case studies found in the literature.

The assertion that we require folate solely for methylation is inaccurate, given that there are at least 9 other substances that contribute to the methylation process. Supplementing creatine, a major end product of all methylation processes will alone remedy a huge portion of people claiming to be plagued by methylation issues. Creatine is supplemented at 5g. Consider that: 5 grams. That's equivalent to 5,000,000 micrograms (mcg). Now, compare that to the typical dose of folate, which is just 400mcg.

Initially, in the 1920s, folate deficiency was associated with anemia. Then, in 1948, folate was attempted as a treatment for childhood leukemia, albeit unsuccessfully. In 1960, researchers established a link between folate deficiency and the risk of neural tube defects. Throughout history, the narrative surrounding folate has continuously evolved, raising questions about its actual functions. Folate was touted as a remedy for anemia, but it has since been demonstrated to be ineffective for this purpose. Despite numerous health claims suggesting that folate could potentially treat heart disease and various other conditions, extensive investigations have failed to substantiate any of these claims.

I approach with skepticism the enthusiastic endorsement of folate by entities such as Big Pharma and Big Science. If a substance exhibits toxicity at such a minute dose as 1mg, it raises concerns about its overall safety. The narrow margin between therapeutic benefit and toxicity, relative to the small dosage amount, is akin to claiming that one grain of sand is healthy, while two grains are not. Years ago, I was prescribed Deplin the pharmaceutical counterpart of methyl folate for depression and anxiety with devastating consequences. Folate cannot simultaneously cause and cure anemia just as folate cannot simultaneously cause and cure nerve problems. The entire idea is ludicrous.

Folate, when used as a mood stabilizer, operates through mechanisms of toxicity, akin to how Prozac/Fluoxetine operates ("flu" referencing fluorine components). Fluoride, for example, can indeed alleviate mental agitation, if inducing a sense of zoned-out detachment is something you are looking for.

Before hastily attributing all negative effects to folic acid alone, it's crucial to thoroughly examine the studies (below and many more on PubMed). Many of these studies, whether epidemiological or survey-based, investigate all forms of folate, not solely folic acid. Moreover, they frequently overlook distinguishing between the different forms, rendering it inaccurate to solely blame folic acid for the effects. Additionally, everyone is entitled to consume substances as they wish, so there's no need to feel offended by the sharing of this opinion, and no one is attempting to shame anyone for enjoying their preferred inebriated neurological indulgence.

Today, many individuals opt for the "methyl folate" form over folic acid, believing it to be safer due to its role as a methyl donor, support for methylation, detoxification, and its perceived benefit for people with the MTHFR mutation, which may affect around 50% of the population.

The notion of "over methylators" and "under methylators" is pseudoscience, partly perpetuated by health influencers seeking to sell products and promote an ideology suggesting they have a unique solution to ongoing issues. Nonetheless, various toxins, such as folate, can indeed disrupt methylation function. Chris Masterjohn's article presents an intriguing perspective that I believe aligns well with the topic:
Your “MTHFR” Is Just a Riboflavin Deficiency
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2019/02/26/mthfr-just-riboflavin-deficiency/

“Think how different this is than trying to make up for low MTHFR activity by taking extra methylfolate. One methylfolate molecule goes into your body, stays inside your cells for 200 days, and every day has 18,000 methyl groups added to it using MTHFR. If you have a 75% decrease in that, you’re losing 13,500 of those recycling events. You can’t take 13,500 times the normal dose of methylfolate. I have no idea what it would do but I know it’s not safe. Methylfolate is one of the primary normal food forms of folate, and I think it’s great. You need to get enough folate, so getting normal, reasonable doses of methylfolate into your diet makes complete sense. But adding more to make up for low MTHFR activity is ludicrous.”

Here are some intriguing studies and quotes listed in no particular order and presented somewhat chaotically (apologies):​

“The risk of toxicity from folic acid is low because folate is a water-soluble vitamin and is regularly removed from the body through urine.”

Vs.

“The EFSA reviewed the safety question and agreed with United States that the UL be set at 1,000 μg.[96]”

How does this make sense? Despite being water-soluble, the risk of toxicity is low, yet the upper limit is a mere 1000 mcg (1 mg), the smallest limit for any vitamin? This contradiction is quite glaring.

Effect of maternal high dosages of folic acid supplements on neurocognitive development in children at 4-5 y of age: the prospective birth cohort Infancia y Medio Ambiente (INMA) study — 2017
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28724645/

Folate causes irreversible nerve damage and “cognitive symptoms”. 8 studies cited by the NIH (US government):
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/

Johnson MA. If high folic acid aggravates vitamin B12 deficiency what should be done about it? Nutr Rev 2007;65:451-8. [PubMed abstract]
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17972439/

In vitamin B12 deficiency, higher serum folate is associated with increased total homocysteine and methylmalonic acid concentrations (2007)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18056804/

Cognitive impairment in older Americans in the age of folic acid fortification. (2007)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17616791/

Folic acid fortification: the good, the bad, and the puzzle of vitamin B-12
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/85/1/3/4649440?login=false

“In 2005, an increased risk of cognitive decline was reported in elderly persons who took folic acid supplements in doses >400 μg/d.” (mcg/day)

Science-based micronutrient fortification: which nutrients, how much, and how to know?

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/82/2/279/4862901?login=false

“at the time the decision was made to mandate the addition of folic acid to enriched flour, no coherent plan to monitor the national and regional effect on neural tube defect births, to document actual changes in folate status, or to assess the possible occurrence of untoward effects on the population”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26862004/

“Between 1945 and 1959 it was convincingly documented that folic acid can precipitate or aggravate the neurological and haematological consequences of vitamin B12 deficiency by increasing the demand for vitamin B12. Since then there has been much misunderstanding of the issues, mainly by advocates of folic acid fortification who have been inclined to minimise or even dismiss the risks by misinterpreting the evidence as only a ‘masking’ of the anaemia of pernicious anaemia. Recent studies in the era of fortification are rediscovering the risks to the nervous system, especially cognitive function, of excess folate in the presence of vitamin B12 deficiency. I have reviewed the Reports of four Expert Advisory Committees in Europe and the USA, which suggest that the safe upper tolerable limit (UL) for folic acid is 1 mg in adults. These reports are unsound and there is already evidence of neurological harm from long-term exposure to doses of folic acid between 0.5 and 1 mg in the presence of vitamin B12 deficiency. There is an urgent need to review the safe UL for folic acid and to consider the addition of vitamin B12 to folic acid fortification policies.”

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/#h8

“In addition, intakes of 1,000 mcg per day or more of folic acid from supplements during the periconception period have been associated with lower scores on several tests of cognitive development in children at ages 4–5 years than in children of mothers who took 400 mcg to 999 mcg [153].”

“Since 1998, folic acid has been added to cold cereals, flour, breads, pasta, bakery items, cookies, and crackers, as required by federal law.”

Here, the CDC claims there are 1300 fewer neural tube defects each year.
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/folicacid/features/folicacid-prevents-ntds.html
Here the CDC contradicts themselves :https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/developmentaldisabilities/features/increase-in-developmental-disabilities.html

Long-term use of folic acid dietary supplements in excess of 1,000 μg/day has been linked to an increase in prostate cancer risk.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19141696/

“We subsequently showed increases in circulating homocysteine and MMA concentrations with increasing serum folate among NHANES participants…”

Is High Folic Acid Intake a Risk Factor for Autism?—A Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5704156/

“This raises concerns about detrimental effects of high serum synthetic FA [30]. These include effects on the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase [23], regulation of folate uptake in renal and intestinal epithelia [31], reduced cytotoxicity of natural killer T cells in postmenopausal women [27], disregulation of gene expression in lymphoblastoid cells [32], and cytotoxicity to neural tissues and mental health (reviewed in [33,34]). In addition, evidence shows that high FA intake is associated with an increase in incidence of twin births, body fat mass and insulin resistance in offspring, increased risk of colorectal cancer, and other adverse outcomes (reviewed in [20]).”

Last edited:

RealNeat

Good summary. I also appreciate masterjohns take on it by not hyper focusing on folate and looking at the mthfr methylation ordeal in a more well rounded fashion.

I have written on Peaty people not getting enough folate many times, some reasons are because I share the opinion of the late forum member @Travis who wrote at length about folate receptor autoantibodies of homogenized dairy and non A2/A2 dairy.

But before repeating what I’ve already said on Peaty persons not getting enough folate Ill mention why i think you are both right and a bit off in your skepticism.

1. Ray (and masterjohn) has talked about the major detriments of pushing methylation with donors as have many other people. Just by that phenomenon alone we can see where problems may arise with methylated supps.

2. I have no problem with something being “bad” in certain amounts and “good” in others, to me that’s just life and though i hate this saying because its usually a cop out “the dose makes the poison” is true in many cases. So whatever nutrient becomes the villain next i will not be surprised if it presents the same paradox.

3. Repeatedly we see reductionism work against the human race. Our egos are quick to take over and reduce what we find in nature to a pill. Books like “Whole” have great examples of compounds that are found in forms and doses regularly consumed though wholesome foods being beneficial for health. But, upon extraction, isolation and administration it either presents as useless or harmful (or sometimes useful and harmful). Other things to consider are the methods and materials of synthesizing such compounds. Ray has touted the benefits of vitamin K many times, but has also warned of the byproducts and impurities of production in supps, same with b1 and b2.

4. Folate is not easy to reach 400mcg through diet, you seem to think otherwise, mind expanding? unless one eats liver every day or consumes copious amount of fresh greens or sprouted legumes its quite hard to reach that measly 400mcg dose. I think choline intake was one way people could skimp on folate but still function. Along glycine, creatine, betaine, b2 etc

5. Things that put stress on folate and its availability in the Peat diet, coffee, sugar, sunshine/ light, homogenized a1 dairy, minimal raw/ cooked greens, no legumes, no seeds, retinoic acid and more

Last edited:

Peater

Great long-form post, thank you. I found this article a while back too. Folate (B9) A Nerve Toxin! - RevealingFraud.com

The site itself is "pro-copper" which isn't something I am looking into at the moment, although I am not "anti-copper". I just believe that years of semi-regular liver and dark chocolate consumption means I have enough (Too much?) stored.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing this perspective @arcsapien. I was on deplin as well about 15 or more years ago and something definitely wasn’t right with it. I’ve never been able to tolerate folate very well in any form including higher folate foods.

Richiebogie

If you think the world is overpopulated, then identify some novel poison, claim it is safe, effective and essential for health, then demand it be added to processed food or compulsorily injected into babies/children/adults, added to the water supply, sprayed on crops or released into the sky.

Failing that it can be made available as a supplement or prescribed by your doctor!

Happy Easter everyone!

Last edited:

DrJ

I've been silently observing the Ray Peat Forum since around 2019. In 2021, I discovered and joined Grant’s Vitamin A toxicity forum, where I've been following a low Vitamin A diet ever since. I've been fascinated by and supportive of the growing movement recognizing Vitamin A as a toxin, and I'm grateful for the direction Charlie is leading this forum.

Over the past few years, my personal journey and venture into wellness coaching have been enlightening. Through hands-on experience with clients, I've gained valuable insights. It's a personal goal of mine to become more actively involved in this forum and others.

That being said, I'm surprised there aren't more discussions drawing attention to folate as a potential toxin. Whenever this topic arises, the response tends to echo the reactions to suggesting Vitamin A toxicity. It often clashes with the multitude of mechanistic studies and health influencers, immediately polarizing people. "But methylation! But DNA repair! But neurotransmitters! How dare you!? Folate is God’s gift.” But is it?

There's a somewhat comical aspect to vitamin science when it comes to distinguishing between "synthetic" and "natural" forms, also known sometimes as methylated counterparts. Folate is deemed good, but folic acid is labeled as bad. Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (B6) is praised, but pyridoxine is condemned. For those familiar with the ongoing discussions surrounding B6 interventions, it's clear there's a wealth of experiential evidence that contradicts the plethora of mechanistic studies typically funded by major institutional authorities. B6, regardless of its form, is toxic. Interestingly, even these mechanistic studies illustrate how the body converts all B6 forms interchangeably between "active" and inactive states. There are thousands of testimonials that back this idea, and there are several forums dedicated to raising awareness about B6 toxicity. The issue of B6 toxicity has come to light, and one of the main products of government fortification programs is facing growing scrutiny.

But I'm not here to discuss B6; I'm here to discuss B9. Another "vitamin" with a narrow therapeutic range, akin to Vitamin A, it claims to address the very issues it can also provoke in excess. Like Vitamin A, the right amount of folate prevents neural tube defects, but an excessive intake can lead to the same problem. Mainstream medicine suggests that the difference between these contrasting effects can be as little as 500mcg—a minute dosage compared to many other substances, highlighting its glaring absurdity.

All types of folate display neurotoxic effects at doses ranging from 300 mcg to 1000 mcg, or 1 mg—the smallest limit on nearly any supplement. Surprisingly, the "therapeutic" dose mirrors that of Vitamin A, which exhibits toxicity in medical literature at approximately 1 mg daily. This highlights the substantial toxicity of folate.

“Science” postulates that folate might conceal the symptoms of B12 deficiency, potentially causing neurological harm. Numerous health influencers emphasize the detrimental effects folate can have in the presence of a B12 deficiency. They insist, "You must raise your B12 levels for folate to be effective." (Lol) Are you familiar with the "folate trap"? It's an absolutely absurd concept that's often promoted to those who are intellectually gullible. They'd have to think that the tiny doses of this highly toxic substance you're ingesting are making you feel unwell because you need to ensure you're adequately supplied with genuine nerve-protecting agents.

We shouldn't supplement with folate for two primary reasons. Firstly, because most people already consume toxic levels of it. Secondly, genuine deficiency is exceedingly rare, except in cases of extreme malnutrition such as seen in starving children in Africa. This strategy mirrors a common tactic employed by Big Pharma, which attributes symptomatic phenomena to a specific nutrient deficiency, while ignoring the broader context of overall malnutrition (I mean a starving person in Africa, come on!). Similar tactics have been used to justify claims of Vitamin A deficiency in various case studies found in the literature.

The assertion that we require folate solely for methylation is inaccurate, given that there are at least 9 other substances that contribute to the methylation process. Supplementing creatine, a major end product of all methylation processes will alone remedy a huge portion of people claiming to be plagued by methylation issues. Creatine is supplemented at 5g. Consider that: 5 grams. That's equivalent to 5,000,000 micrograms (mcg). Now, compare that to the typical dose of folate, which is just 400mcg.

Initially, in the 1920s, folate deficiency was associated with anemia. Then, in 1948, folate was attempted as a treatment for childhood leukemia, albeit unsuccessfully. In 1960, researchers established a link between folate deficiency and the risk of neural tube defects. Throughout history, the narrative surrounding folate has continuously evolved, raising questions about its actual functions. Folate was touted as a remedy for anemia, but it has since been demonstrated to be ineffective for this purpose. Despite numerous health claims suggesting that folate could potentially treat heart disease and various other conditions, extensive investigations have failed to substantiate any of these claims.

I approach with skepticism the enthusiastic endorsement of folate by entities such as Big Pharma and Big Science. If a substance exhibits toxicity at such a minute dose as 1mg, it raises concerns about its overall safety. The narrow margin between therapeutic benefit and toxicity, relative to the small dosage amount, is akin to claiming that one grain of sand is healthy, while two grains are not. Years ago, I was prescribed Deplin the pharmaceutical counterpart of methyl folate for depression and anxiety with devastating consequences. Folate cannot simultaneously cause and cure anemia just as folate cannot simultaneously cause and cure nerve problems. The entire idea is ludicrous.

Folate, when used as a mood stabilizer, operates through mechanisms of toxicity, akin to how Prozac/Fluoxetine operates ("flu" referencing fluorine components). Fluoride, for example, can indeed alleviate mental agitation, if inducing a sense of zoned-out detachment is something you are looking for.

Before hastily attributing all negative effects to folic acid alone, it's crucial to thoroughly examine the studies (below and many more on PubMed). Many of these studies, whether epidemiological or survey-based, investigate all forms of folate, not solely folic acid. Moreover, they frequently overlook distinguishing between the different forms, rendering it inaccurate to solely blame folic acid for the effects. Additionally, everyone is entitled to consume substances as they wish, so there's no need to feel offended by the sharing of this opinion, and no one is attempting to shame anyone for enjoying their preferred inebriated neurological indulgence.

Today, many individuals opt for the "methyl folate" form over folic acid, believing it to be safer due to its role as a methyl donor, support for methylation, detoxification, and its perceived benefit for people with the MTHFR mutation, which may affect around 50% of the population.

The notion of "over methylators" and "under methylators" is pseudoscience, partly perpetuated by health influencers seeking to sell products and promote an ideology suggesting they have a unique solution to ongoing issues. Nonetheless, various toxins, such as folate, can indeed disrupt methylation function. Chris Masterjohn's article presents an intriguing perspective that I believe aligns well with the topic:
Your “MTHFR” Is Just a Riboflavin Deficiency
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2019/02/26/mthfr-just-riboflavin-deficiency/

“Think how different this is than trying to make up for low MTHFR activity by taking extra methylfolate. One methylfolate molecule goes into your body, stays inside your cells for 200 days, and every day has 18,000 methyl groups added to it using MTHFR. If you have a 75% decrease in that, you’re losing 13,500 of those recycling events. You can’t take 13,500 times the normal dose of methylfolate. I have no idea what it would do but I know it’s not safe. Methylfolate is one of the primary normal food forms of folate, and I think it’s great. You need to get enough folate, so getting normal, reasonable doses of methylfolate into your diet makes complete sense. But adding more to make up for low MTHFR activity is ludicrous.”

Here are some intriguing studies and quotes listed in no particular order and presented somewhat chaotically (apologies):​

“The risk of toxicity from folic acid is low because folate is a water-soluble vitamin and is regularly removed from the body through urine.”

Vs.

“The EFSA reviewed the safety question and agreed with United States that the UL be set at 1,000 μg.[96]”

How does this make sense? Despite being water-soluble, the risk of toxicity is low, yet the upper limit is a mere 1000 mcg (1 mg), the smallest limit for any vitamin? This contradiction is quite glaring.

Effect of maternal high dosages of folic acid supplements on neurocognitive development in children at 4-5 y of age: the prospective birth cohort Infancia y Medio Ambiente (INMA) study — 2017
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28724645/

Folate causes irreversible nerve damage and “cognitive symptoms”. 8 studies cited by the NIH (US government):
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/

Johnson MA. If high folic acid aggravates vitamin B12 deficiency what should be done about it? Nutr Rev 2007;65:451-8. [PubMed abstract]
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17972439/

In vitamin B12 deficiency, higher serum folate is associated with increased total homocysteine and methylmalonic acid concentrations (2007)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18056804/

Cognitive impairment in older Americans in the age of folic acid fortification. (2007)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17616791/

Folic acid fortification: the good, the bad, and the puzzle of vitamin B-12
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/85/1/3/4649440?login=false

“In 2005, an increased risk of cognitive decline was reported in elderly persons who took folic acid supplements in doses >400 μg/d.” (mcg/day)

Science-based micronutrient fortification: which nutrients, how much, and how to know?

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/82/2/279/4862901?login=false

“at the time the decision was made to mandate the addition of folic acid to enriched flour, no coherent plan to monitor the national and regional effect on neural tube defect births, to document actual changes in folate status, or to assess the possible occurrence of untoward effects on the population”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26862004/

“Between 1945 and 1959 it was convincingly documented that folic acid can precipitate or aggravate the neurological and haematological consequences of vitamin B12 deficiency by increasing the demand for vitamin B12. Since then there has been much misunderstanding of the issues, mainly by advocates of folic acid fortification who have been inclined to minimise or even dismiss the risks by misinterpreting the evidence as only a ‘masking’ of the anaemia of pernicious anaemia. Recent studies in the era of fortification are rediscovering the risks to the nervous system, especially cognitive function, of excess folate in the presence of vitamin B12 deficiency. I have reviewed the Reports of four Expert Advisory Committees in Europe and the USA, which suggest that the safe upper tolerable limit (UL) for folic acid is 1 mg in adults. These reports are unsound and there is already evidence of neurological harm from long-term exposure to doses of folic acid between 0.5 and 1 mg in the presence of vitamin B12 deficiency. There is an urgent need to review the safe UL for folic acid and to consider the addition of vitamin B12 to folic acid fortification policies.”

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/#h8

“In addition, intakes of 1,000 mcg per day or more of folic acid from supplements during the periconception period have been associated with lower scores on several tests of cognitive development in children at ages 4–5 years than in children of mothers who took 400 mcg to 999 mcg [153].”

“Since 1998, folic acid has been added to cold cereals, flour, breads, pasta, bakery items, cookies, and crackers, as required by federal law.”

Here, the CDC claims there are 1300 fewer neural tube defects each year.
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/folicacid/features/folicacid-prevents-ntds.html
Here the CDC contradicts themselves :https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/developmentaldisabilities/features/increase-in-developmental-disabilities.html

Long-term use of folic acid dietary supplements in excess of 1,000 μg/day has been linked to an increase in prostate cancer risk.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19141696/

“We subsequently showed increases in circulating homocysteine and MMA concentrations with increasing serum folate among NHANES participants…”

Is High Folic Acid Intake a Risk Factor for Autism?—A Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5704156/

“This raises concerns about detrimental effects of high serum synthetic FA [30]. These include effects on the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase [23], regulation of folate uptake in renal and intestinal epithelia [31], reduced cytotoxicity of natural killer T cells in postmenopausal women [27], disregulation of gene expression in lymphoblastoid cells [32], and cytotoxicity to neural tissues and mental health (reviewed in [33,34]). In addition, evidence shows that high FA intake is associated with an increase in incidence of twin births, body fat mass and insulin resistance in offspring, increased risk of colorectal cancer, and other adverse outcomes (reviewed in [20]).”
Do you understand the difference between folate, folic acid, and folinate?

RealNeat

Ray mentions that only b5 is safe to take in large quantities and the rest can all cause issues at high-ish doses. The B vitamins are problematic outside of their natural packages (food) B12 isnt as easy to get as some assume,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrYN5bTh9k
(eating liver or oysters a few times a month is not sufficient)

which make it so the likelihood of folate masking the b12 deficiency is actually common, since most put more emphasis on b9 than b12 especially during pregnancy. Consider also that western medical doctors suck at spotting b12 deficiency on time before it causes major nerve damage, Why B12 Deficiency Is Significantly Underdiagnosed | RHR

Ray speaking on the topic here:

He says 1-5mg of folic acid is ok
but echos my statement about b2 and folic acid having major impurities causing issues for many.

Last edited:

RealNeat

Do you understand the difference between folate, folic acid, and folinate?
what difference do you think that makes in terms of its effects?

RealNeat

Blossom

Forum Supporter
how have you isolated that it was the folate from whole foods causing your issue?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dmBS2akjSg

I have a mole/spot on my neck that gets red and swollen whenever I have eaten a lot of lentils or Quorn (meat substitute) which are both pretty high in folate. It’s the only commonality I’ve noticed between those foods and since it also happens if I take any type of folate supplement I decided it was probably that and stopped eating those foods and supplementing altogether. I ate those things very infrequently so the reaction was pretty obvious to me. I’m pretty sure I get some anxiety from it as well. Thanks for the video.

PopSocket

I have taken folate/folinic acid exactly two times in my life. 2 years ago the methyl folate(felt bad and stopped after the 2nd or 3rd dose) and 3 days ago I took 800mcg sublingual folinic acid as it was supposed to be better and wanted to see what it does. Felt extremely weird in a bad way for about 36h. Will never experiment with it ever again. Thank you for sharing this info. Came in handy.

DrJ

what difference do you think that makes in terms of its effects?
They are different molecules. One is synthetic and might very well cause problems. OP is using the term "folate" in cases which can only be folic acid. This also happens a lot in the literature. Basically almost everyone is being very careless in identifying what specific form of the vitamin they are talking about and then predictably drawing incorrect conclusions and assigning aspects to folate which actually belong to folic acid or vice versa.

Bluebell

I can't take folate in any form even in tiny doses. My blood folate is at the low end of normal, and I'm starting to think maybe that's healthier for me and there is no reason to try and push it up. I think it's outrageous that they fortify foods with any kind of folate.

Vandivier

Forum Supporter
I appreciate @arcsapien ’s perspective. I think the only way to really tell if something is really good ir bad for you is through observation.

I, for n=1, can share that my experience with Methyl Folate was not good. I got so constipated on just one dose that I did not recover motility about a week after. So, I’m definitely not touching it again. Ever since I got my gallbladder taken out, I have had serious constipation issues and that made it worse.

RealNeat

They are different molecules. One is synthetic and might very well cause problems. OP is using the term "folate" in cases which can only be folic acid. This also happens a lot in the literature. Basically almost everyone is being very careless in identifying what specific form of the vitamin they are talking about and then predictably drawing incorrect conclusions and assigning aspects to folate which actually belong to folic acid or vice versa.
That's what I thought you meant, yes the OP doesn't seem to care about the different forms, I mentioned the same thing in my response.

It's easier to just lump it all in to one and make it the next vitamin villain.

It is good to be critical however, but similar to some of the vA stuff there are leaps in logic being made with real world consequences that makes surface level skepticism like this dangerous for those easily swayed.

That being said, I do think even the "non synthetic" forms can cause issues in a subset of the people, that doesn't inherently make folate toxic.

RealNeat

Another interesting study points to lowered methylation with foods containing natural methylfolate, interestingly they also pointed out that multivitamins can also lower methylation, i didnt dig deep in the study but im guessing because they avoided methylated forms in the multivitmains along with the fact that things like niacinamide often included in multis use up methyl groups. This again goes to show that sometimes nutrients in their whole food packages do not act the way we see their isolated synthetic forms acting.

"Significant protection against methylation was observed for leafy green vegetables (OR = 0.83 per 12 monthly servings, CI: 0.74, 0.93) and folate (OR = 0.84 per 750 mcg/day, CI: 0.72, 0.99). Protection against gene methylation was also seen with current use of multi-vitamins (OR = 0.57, CI: 0.40, 0.83). This is the first cohort-based study to identify dietary factors associated with reduced promoter methylation in cells exfoliated from the airway epithelium of smokers. Novel interventions to prevent lung cancer should be developed based on the ability of diet and dietary supplements to affect reprogramming of the epigenome." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3076796/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals