Is Too Much Folate (not Folic Acid) A Problem?

Mage

I've been recently experimenting with sprouted lentils as a protein source as they are relatively low in PUFA for their protein content (I know it's starch but I've never experienced any digestive problems with it) and I always go significantly over my RDA of Folate eating them, should I be concerned?

I've tried to find data about this, but it's all on the Folic Acid synthetic supplementation, which is a whole other story..

I've been recently experimenting with sprouted lentils as a protein source as they are relatively low in PUFA for their protein content (I know it's starch but I've never experienced any digestive problems with it) and I always go significantly over my RDA of Folate eating them, should I be concerned?

I've tried to find data about this, but it's all on the Folic Acid synthetic supplementation, which is a whole other story..
I know that if you are low in B12 then folic acid (and I would assume folate) can lead to B12 deficiency and that would be bad. I can hardly imagine there would be much harm from lentils on occasion. But I would be more concerned about using lentils as a main protein source. Are you trying to do a vegetarian or vegan variation of Peat? If so I think you might have better luck looking to potatoes as a protein source.

OP
Mage

Mage

Are you trying to do a vegetarian or vegan variation of Peat? If so I think you might have better luck looking to potatoes as a protein source.

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually experimenting with a very low fat (<10%) version of Peat's general guidelines to see what happens, it ends up being quasi-vegetaian as I don't plan to eat chicken or fish (too much PUFA) and even lean beef adds up quite an big amount of fat if you eat too much (and its too much methionine), most of my protein intake is: skim milk + 50~100g of beef + 5~10g beef liver + 20~30g gelatin + lentils.

I know potatoes are awesome too, I also eat them for protein, but it gets way too boring on using them as my sole source :(

Low fat is a challenge with any meat added, especially I find the gelatinous cuts tend to be fatty. I know I have also heard Ray Peat say he occasionally will eat hummus with well cooked garbanzos and that is easy to make low fat. Also well cooked mushrooms are another option for protein without too much fat.

OP
Mage

Mage

Mushrooms are pretty expensive to turn into a protein staple though, I don't earn that much money... yet ;)

Anyways, all I've found so far is the B12 depletion thing (not a big deal as I consistenly eat liver and milk) and some connection to colon cancer (Haidut also says this in a podcast, but he also stated that lentils are "the safest starch"), but all these problems were related to supplementation, not the natural form...

Frankdee20

Mushrooms are pretty expensive to turn into a protein staple though, I don't earn that much money... yet ;)

Anyways, all I've found so far is the B12 depletion thing (not a big deal as I consistenly eat liver and milk) and some connection to colon cancer (Haidut also says this in a podcast, but he also stated that lentils are "the safest starch"), but all these problems were related to supplementation, not the natural form...

Isn't that colon cancer connection related to Folic Acid and not Folate? I thought Folate is the nature form ?

OP
Mage

Mage

Isn't that colon cancer connection related to Folic Acid and not Folate? I thought Folate is the nature form ?

It's a Danny Roddy podcast where @haidut says pretty much every starch would increase your risk, a lot of people here disagree, and I'm not sure, if you don't experience gas or bloating (aka you can digest it well, without experiencing endotoxemia), starch seems pretty harmless tbh...

But yes, I've never seen a study bashing the natural form of folate, but I still don't know why it has an upper limit in the RDA.

Frankdee20

It's a Danny Roddy podcast where @haidut says pretty much every starch would increase your risk, a lot of people here disagree, and I'm not sure, if you don't experience gas or bloating (aka you can digest it well, without experiencing endotoxemia), starch seems pretty harmless tbh...

But yes, I've never seen a study bashing the natural form of folate, but I still don't know why it has an upper limit in the RDA.

Funny how the pharmaceutical companies now push high dose 5 methyl Folate as a new tool against treatment resistant depression. Now the people that have tried this version as Deplin, report a bit of overstimulation. Perhaps the RDA limits take this into account, or the Folate vs B12 antagonism. Just my guess.

ddjd

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually experimenting with a very low fat (<10%) version of Peat's general guidelines to see what happens, it ends up being quasi-vegetaian as I don't plan to eat chicken or fish (too much PUFA) and even lean beef adds up quite an big amount of fat if you eat too much (and its too much methionine), most of my protein intake is: skim milk + 50~100g of beef + 5~10g beef liver + 20~30g gelatin + lentils.

I know potatoes are awesome too, I also eat them for protein, but it gets way too boring on using them as my sole source :(
both chicken and fish like cod are extremely low in fat in general. like 3g per 100g. same percentage as full fat milk!