Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Folinic Acid Stops My Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by Joeyd, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Curiousman

Curiousman Member

Coffee too !!

2. OP
    Joeyd

Joeyd Member

as in coffee has the same effect as alcohol on folate pathways and methylation etc. ?

any studies?

3. Peatnik Boetry

Peatnik Boetry Member

4. Terma

Terma Member

^ That is a very good lead/idea, if true.

@Joeyd Thanks, I'll have to read that one though it skirts the familiar. DNA methylation is plausible but these sorts of issues might or might not relate more to histone methylation (or both). LSD1 (FAD/B2 and folate-binding) is getting more and more research (it is used by the androgen receptor as well): Histone demethylase LSD1 is a folate-binding protein

Don't have the time but I think what would be helpful would be for someone to post a study on the quantification of the fate of folate in healthy humans (if there were one on alopecia of course that would be incredible) in all its pathways. I don't know if that was ever done.

Just have to point out in relation to my very first link, it was written speaking generally about folate. But depending on the uptake and conversion, folinic would probably be largely converting to methylene-folate (it's either that or purine synthesis, unless there's some other unmentioned pathway) which actually does the exact opposite and requires NAD(P)H to produce NAD(P). It's hard to say the impact on hair because 1) I'm not fully researched on the condition and 2) from what I know, there may be a phase where TGF-beta (due to high oxidative stress, notably from NOX with NADPH) is quite damaging, but there's also a phase in the growth that requires ROS to produce growth (anagen phase or just before, I'm not sure). The "oxidative stress" through superoxide is used by cells to manipulate K+ and Ca+ flow across the membranes, and to my knowledge hydrogen pexoride is usually growth-promoting and might be even more critical. Meaning, theoretically you could impede growth with way too much superoxide and ROS scavenging (e.g. super high NAC, glycine, maybe SOD promoters), even though that would prevent against damage by TGF-beta. So there is quite a balance of ROS production needed, one way or another. This is why I gravitated toward the NOX/NADPH idea, and because you were talking more about "stopping hair loss" than increasing growth, but I really have no tangible idea of what state you'd reflect best at the moment.

Maybe we could infer more from the fact you say it helped your keratosis pilaris, but I couldn't tell if it helped mine or not, because I took too many things.

5. OP
    Joeyd

Joeyd Member

yes they are the same thing. i use a product called MegaFolinic from source naturals

6. Terma

Terma Member

@Joeyd I liked that article quite a lot:

I think what happens is folate has a protective role against cancer, but once cancer develops, it can help fuel it. Or it might depend on its usage by all the pathways. I mean, as if you'd get cancer from a bunch of vegetables grown in your own garden.

This part supports the Ben Lynch video taken verbatim - however, most likely a significant part of this happens in the kidneys, so I'm not sure to what extent it's a dominant issue in the rest of the body - hence the need for some kind of quantification of folate pathways study.

Hmmm, perhaps you don't want to be taking high doses of methylene blue.

Hmmm...

Methyl trap is extensively detailed by some guy named Freddd (see ME/CFS forums), so I won't bother. The only novelty is the realization that heavy alcohol abuse may cause it. That's a pretty damn good reason to avoid binging alcohol.

So, first off, you'd have to figure out if it's especially the kidneys compensating or not, but regardless, the bolded part makes a huge amount of sense - because this means - lowering methylation too much for too long could backfire spectacularly!

[Could be notably hard on the kidneys, because they sacrifice methylfolate and glycine to produce serine and produce ammonia and garbage]

So, thanks, really good information from this.

7. Repas du soir

Repas du soir Member

Are there any natural sources of folinic acid? Like food sources?

8. anyfit

anyfit Member

foods that are high in natural folate ( not fortified) also have folinic acid in them from what i could find online.
    so probably dark leafy greens , celery and some legumes should be good sources...

9. Terma

Terma Member

Iirc food form is mainly THF or DHF. Folinic is formylTHF (buffers formaldehyde). P.S. Don't become low in B3/NAD when you take this.

10. GorillaHead

GorillaHead Member

Pufa stopped my hairloss. Specifically gla and ala 3 days finally stopped shedding

11. Repas du soir

Repas du soir Member

What's gla and ala? What food sources?

12. GorillaHead

GorillaHead Member

Just so you know I am on fin. But the whole time I’ve been on fin. My shed never stopped ever in fact It has been insanely horrible gotten worse.

2 days after adding black currant oil and boom it stopped. I added it because my theory is the pufa in it will increase dlga which increases pge1 which is excellent for hair and better than pge2 which is inflammatory

Attached Files:

13. Repas du soir

Repas du soir Member

Well, that's certainly interesting. Do you think there are other ways of increasing pge1 without using gla/ala?

14. GorillaHead

GorillaHead Member

Not sure.

All I know is when the body has abundant alpha lineolic acid. It converts gamma loneolic acid into DGLA which then unregulated Pge1.

Tons of reviews on amazon on the product from women saying black currant oil helped their hair. But it’s amazon reviews so trust that ***t with a pinch of salt

15. Jijita

Jijita Member

Hello
    So how did you aplied the oil ? And if we eat the black Currant will that make the same results?

16. GorillaHead

GorillaHead Member

I didn’t apply it. I just take one a day. 1000mg. So far so good. Still no shedding.

17. OP
    Joeyd

Joeyd Member

18. Jijita

Jijita Member

Sorry this hair make me want a bit of hope . thanks for your sharing too I'm waiting like you for others experiences about folinic acid and for your news hope will be great.

19. Jijita

Jijita Member

Let me be helpful
    After what you said I search about B9 sources and I found that dark green leafy vegetables are great as sources for it that make sense for me how my grand ma (76 years old) made let's say 1/2 of her hair back because this years she eat darck leafy vegetable like an herbivors

20. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member