Diabetes Type 2 Weight Loss Trial, 46% In Remission After A Year

raypeatclips

I couldn't see this one posted so I've posted it. Another that Reddit users might have noticed posted.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext?elsca1=tlpr

Primary care-led weight management for remission of type 2 diabetes (DiRECT): an open-label, cluster-randomised trial
Prof Michael EJ Lean, MD† et al.

"Between July 25, 2014, and Aug 5, 2017, we recruited 306 individuals from 49 intervention (n=23) and control (n=26) general practices; 149 participants per group comprised the intention-to-treat population. At 12 months, we recorded weight loss of 15 kg or more in 36 (24%) participants in the intervention group and no participants in the control group (p<0·0001). Diabetes remission was achieved in 68 (46%) participants in the intervention group and six (4%) participants in the control group (odds ratio 19·7, 95% CI 7·8–49·8; p<0·0001). Remission varied with weight loss in the whole study population, with achievement in none of 76 participants who gained weight, six (7%) of 89 participants who maintained 0–5 kg weight loss, 19 (34%) of 56 participants with 5–10 kg loss, 16 (57%) of 28 participants with 10–15 kg loss, and 31 (86%) of 36 participants who lost 15 kg or more. Mean bodyweight fell by 10·0 kg (SD 8·0) in the intervention group and 1·0 kg (3·7) in the control group (adjusted difference −8·8 kg, 95% CI −10·3 to −7·3; p<0·0001). Quality of life, as measured by the EuroQol 5 Dimensions visual analogue scale, improved by 7·2 points (SD 21·3) in the intervention group, and decreased by 2·9 points (15·5) in the control group (adjusted difference 6·4 points, 95% CI 2·5–10·3; p=0·0012). Nine serious adverse events were reported by seven (4%) of 157 participants in the intervention group and two were reported by two (1%) participants in the control group. Two serious adverse events (biliary colic and abdominal pain), occurring in the same participant, were deemed potentially related to the intervention. No serious adverse events led to withdrawal from the study."

Serotoninja

Someone on a facebook group sent this article (same study) to RP and asked him for an explanation :
24862130_10156016385404954_7484730043714976425_n.jpg

nbznj

I think that at some point people are going to realize that all of those mysterious chronic diseases that hit some "genetically prone" unlucky (cough cough) patients, are a result of a diet lacking vitamins and minerals. I dislike oils, or pure sugar for example, as they are only a source of energy without the micro nutrients associated with them. How are mitochondria supposed to function properly on "empty" fuel? And then we have type 2 diabetics, cancers, osteoporosis, allergies, adult acne, baldness, low T, poor vision, poor teeth, poor sleep, obesity and so on.... all skyrocketing.

But I get it, eating 100% whole foods is hard, and there must be some mysterious perfect macros formula - according to the ideal TDEE. Oh well.

Serotoninja

Fascinating. Which Facebook group is this? Do many email replies get posted?
That's from "Ray Peat Nerds, Geeks & Supa Freaks". I joined it recently but no it seems to be rare, I like the group though, many interesting studies often related to Peat's work.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

That's from "Ray Peat Nerds, Geeks & Supa Freaks". I joined it recently but no it seems to be rare, I like the group though, many interesting studies often related to Peat's work.

Any chance you repost the studies on the forum? It's annoying having so many different platforms for Peats work, I had never heard of that group before. There must be at least about 6 or more different groups now related to Peat with their own members posting things.

L

lollipop

Any chance you repost the studies on the forum? It's annoying having so many different platforms for Peats work, I had never heard of that group before. There must be at least about 6 or more different groups now related to Peat with their own members posting things.
I love this group on FB - one of my favorites actually...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals