Low Toxin Videos Cure depression (and more) with glucose

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Thanks. This was the approaches I was going to take when I got back. A YouTube comment for the video "Is your brain sugar deficient?" from someone who's done the protocol twice suggested the same:

Screenshot-2024-07-01-at-16-25-58-Is-your-brain-sugar-deficient-with-Dr-David-Stephens.png

I'm back up to 50g servings without much issue. I just make sure to dose before a meal or have multiple servings on hand if I'm going to be without food for awhile. The blood sugar crash is potent in the early stages, for sure. Also lowered fat intake to help adaptation. It's becoming easier to manage as the days go by.

I'm still dialing in the dose and timing, but so far dextrose therapy is making me feel how I was told Ray Peat diet strategies were supposed to make me feel. Fantastic. Nothing I've done prior (and I've experimented with most of the popular diet/supplement/hormone interventions discussed on the forum) compares. My contact sport history may make me an ideal candidate though, as Dr. Stephens explains. Where has this guy been all these years lol.
@TripleOG
Does the doctor recommend to dose before a meal?
If so, why exactly is that recommended?
Thanks.

TripleOG

As long as it's sustainable and consistent, all that matters is that it works. Pleased for you!
Agreed.

@TripleOG
Does the doctor recommend to dose before a meal?
If so, why exactly is that recommended?
Thanks.
When asked about having dextrose with or without food, he answered “it doesn’t matter.” This was in the presentation with the intermittent singer.

MCurtone

Today I tried this dextrose therapy.

I did 4 tablespoons in a glass of water and didn't feel well. I actually felt cold, colder than just fasting. I figured to try some more and with less water, as it was a lot of fluid. I took 6 tablespoons in half the amount of water and nothing except a little upset stomach but didn't really feel good, felt worse actually.

After this, I was hit with the most intense low blood sugar symptoms of my entire life. I started getting intense shakes, began sweating, my stomach was pitting and hurting and I was hit with the most hunger I ever felt in my life. I literally grabbed raw meat from my fridge and started scarfing it down with my bare hands, no knife or fork, and taking huge bites of pickles, and downed another 6 tablespoons of dextrose. Took about 15 minutes for all those symptoms to go away but that was crazy.

Crazy what straight glucose does to you when you don't eat and it suddenly drops off. I know its only day 1 but I don't feel confident in this therapy. Does getting healthy really mean experiencing near-death in the process?

Maybe the problem was I was fasted and didn't have food all day, and just used dextrose and ended up crashing.

Ras

I know its only day 1 but I don't feel confident in this therapy. Does getting healthy really mean experiencing near-death in the process?

Maybe the problem was I was fasted and didn't have food all day, and just used dextrose and ended up crashing.
The problem is that you're unwell. If you were well, you'd have had a more positive experience. You're unwell, hence your discomfort.

He said that some people feel worse at first. Just relax.

orangebear

I did 4 tablespoons in a glass of water and didn't feel well. I actually felt cold, colder than just fasting. I figured to try some more and with less water, as it was a lot of fluid. I took 6 tablespoons in half the amount of water and nothing except a little upset stomach but didn't really feel good, felt worse actually.

After this, I was hit with the most intense low blood sugar symptoms of my entire life. I started getting intense shakes, began sweating, my stomach was pitting and hurting and I was hit with the most hunger I ever felt in my life. I literally grabbed raw meat from my fridge and started scarfing it down with my bare hands, no knife or fork, and taking huge bites of pickles, and downed another 6 tablespoons of dextrose. Took about 15 minutes for all those symptoms to go away but that was crazy.

Crazy what straight glucose does to you when you don't eat and it suddenly drops off. I know its only day 1 but I don't feel confident in this therapy. Does getting healthy really mean experiencing near-death in the process?

I found that if I don’t eat within ten minutes of taking dextrose I can have a huge bile dump that can result in headache, nausea, and other unpleasant symptoms. I think having enough food in the system as a buffer is a good idea. Also, about 1.5 weeks into the protocol I’m finding the requirement for food is going up for me. Given my experience so far, I’m not surprised you had a bad reaction if you took it while fasting.

BRENBAIL

Forum Supporter
When I took a single 50g dose, it knocked me out for a week.

Then I took a similar dose every single waking hour - no symptoms.

The symptoms you had is basically from your brain and liver lacking glucose because the first dose leads to the expectation of more.

Every cell needs glucose to process toxins. When the body inally gets some, it starts working. An hour later, the glucose is gone but the body has now "woken up" and the liver trying to deal with the influx of toxins from all over the body. Without a follow-up dose, the liver merely dumps all of the toxins into the intestine, instead of sending them through phase-2 detox, which makes toxins water-soluble for the kidneys to excrete.

There will be some level of bile dumps, but the level you experienced is basically from lack of glucsoe.
I wonder if this is why my urethra feels irritated. I wonder if the glucose is now feeding into the phase-2 detox and the toxins are being excreted via my urine? It feels like a UTI except that my stream is stronger and I'm peeing more. I'm also wondering if I'm spilling glucose into the urine, like when a diabetic's blood sugars are out of control. Frequent urination is a symptom of uncontrolled blood sugars. I think I would feel crappier though if my blood sugars are sky high. Also, Dr. Stephens is reporting blood sugars are lowering in diabetics. I did get pH test strips and my urine seems to be acidic, from 5.25 to 6.5. I don't know what it was before this irritated feeling.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter

That sounds incredibly intense. Regrettably, I experienced something similar at times on the Ray Peat diet. If I were you, I would suggest eating before consuming dextrose powder water with your meal. I wouldn't attempt consuming it fasted again unless it's early morning and you still have glycogen in your system to support you through it.

EvanHinkle

So I’m not sure what you’ve seen or read of the process from Dr Stephens or if you’re inclined to follow his advice, but he recommends starting with 25 grams at 3-4 times a day. So that would mean 6-8 tablespoons in an entire day, (2 tablespoons in each dose) and spreading those out over the course of the day.

I may not be understanding fully what you’ve written, but it sounds like you took 16 tablespoons in a short period of time. This is obviously more than the 6-8 tablespoon starting dose for the day, (which is recommended to maintain for a week before increasing each dose by .5 tablespoons).

I’m not surprised you felt lousy if you took 16 tablespoons in short order. That’s 560 calories in liquid form. Please do take care.

mosaic01

If you don't respect the protocol, you can't blame Dr. Stephens.

As I said several times before: Those who are sensitive need to decide on a dose and take that dose every single hour. You will not have any symptoms with that appraoch.

For example, 1 teaspoon every hour on day 1. Then increase to 3 teaspoons on day 2, and 5 teaspoons on day 3.

What you did is the worst way you can approach this, and I also made that mistake. Starting with a massive dose will leave your brain glucose deficient 3 hours later.

I suspect many in the Peat community have really destroyed their metabolism with their retinol- and fructose-rich diets in the past and so need to be even more careful than most of Dr. Stephen's patients, due to a serious lack of brain glucose and strong blood sugar fluctuations.

Last edited:

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Agreed.

When asked about having dextrose with or without food, he answered “it doesn’t matter.” This was in the presentation with the intermittent singer.
I find it doesn't matter, with food or without, it has an effect.
Just last night I slept for 7 hours which didn't happen in ages...
This dextrose thing doesn't make any sense, but for some reason it works...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals