Considering TRT But Struggling With Doctors

Dhair

After over a year of experimenting with various vitamins, minerals, and low dose hormones, I have come to the conclusion that having low androgens is a huge problem for me, and remedying that may even cure me.
I'm well aware of the risks of TRT, and I have carefully considered it. It may not be the answer. In fact, I remain skeptical that it will do what I need it to do. Here is why I think it may be a viable option for me, and why I believe I am correct about the root cause of the problem.
1. My 5ar enzymes are not inhibited. I can very easily get a pronounced allopregnanolone (and dopamine) boost from low doses of progesterone. This most likely would not be possible if I suffered from PFS.
2. Tyromix applied directly to the scrotum was able to cure all of my symptoms entirely in the short term. This stopped working, and I'm still trying to figure out why, but it could not be replicated when used topically on other parts of the body or orally.
Thyroid supplementation is hit or miss for me. Most things are, really. I firmly believe that the hysteria against TRT is unwarranted. Many people are able to come off successfully with no problems. Ray Peat believes testosterone is not toxic, so the process of stopping TRT shouldn't be difficult. I see nothing wrong with using this as a way to support myself while I focus on other aspects of my health and improve my life. I am simply not functional in this state, and I am willing to try this.
The first endo that I went to see a couple months ago refused to treat me because I had raised my total T from 243ng/dl to 416ng/dl in a period of about 4 months. Not insignificant, but I was stacking many things at once to get there. He reasoned that I should be fine because my free T was well within the ref range, and he informed me that I will always have low T. Totally useless doc.
I have moved halfway across the country for a while to stay with family. I have seen a doctor here. I wasnt hopeful at the start of our meeting. He questioned my mental health, and I told him that I had already assumed that he would tell me it was all in my head. This made him very angry. I explained that it wasnt unreasonable to assume that given my experience with other doctors, and I explained to him what I had tried. I think he was intrigued by my self-diagnostics and surprisingly, he agreed that my testosterone was too low. He also doesn't believe in the "free" hormone measurements, similar to RP. He referred me to endo who has a very good reputation, but he is refusing to see me for some unknown reason. His secretary said that he "doesn't do hormone imbalance unless it is related to something else." I have absolutely no idea what the hell this means. After all, he is an ENDOCRINOLOGIST.
I have contacted the office of the doctor who referred me to him, and he has not returned my phone call. Every time I put faith in this system, it seems to fail me.
I don't want to go "shopping" for another endocrinologist. What should I do now?

Last edited:
"I can very easily get a pronounced allopregnanolone (and dopamine) boost from low doses of progesterone". Unless you have a test result proving it, this comment is 100% null, it's actually a joke. You cannot accurately tell what is going on just by feeling alone. The only thing you can accurately say is that "progesterone caused me to feel a pleasurable boost (which you describe as "like dopamine")". Anything else is unsubstantiated make-believe.

From the story you've told, it doesn't seem weird for a general practitioner to refuse treating someone with hormones. He may just not feel confident in only treating you with hormones, he may find it untasteful to only treat with hormones, he might not like the hoops he'd have to jump through to prescribe testosterone, especially if he'd have to write "anti-aging therapy" as the reason for the prescription, rather than something like "to treat cancer caused muscle wasting". Loads of reasons why he'd rather defer to an endo buddy of his than do it himself.

Am I understanding this correctly? The first doctor referred you to the endo buddy, the first doctor is now refusing to see you. The second endo buddy doctor won't return your calls?

Give the endo doc some time, it's still technically the holidays, he's likely financially comfortable and is relaxing with family.

This isn't a huge, big deal, a miscarriage of the medical system, it could be so much worse. What would be bad is if you were given hormones and they ****88 you up due to the doctors negligence (not checking estrogen for months for example).

In the meantime, doctor shop some more, or rub pregnenolone/DHEA in MCT oil on your balls (where it will locally convert to androgens).

OP
D

Dhair

"I can very easily get a pronounced allopregnanolone (and dopamine) boost from low doses of progesterone". Unless you have a test result proving it, this comment is 100% null, it's actually a joke. You cannot accurately tell what is going on just by feeling alone. The only thing you can accurately say is that "progesterone caused me to feel a pleasurable boost (which you describe as "like dopamine")". Anything else is unsubstantiated make-believe.

From the story you've told, it doesn't seem weird for a general practitioner to refuse treating someone with hormones. He may just not feel confident in only treating you with hormones, he may find it untasteful to only treat with hormones, he might not like the hoops he'd have to jump through to prescribe testosterone, especially if he'd have to write "anti-aging therapy" as the reason for the prescription, rather than something like "to treat cancer caused muscle wasting". Loads of reasons why he'd rather defer to an endo buddy of his than do it himself.

Am I understanding this correctly? The first doctor referred you to the endo buddy, the first doctor is now refusing to see you. The second endo buddy doctor won't return your calls?

Give the endo doc some time, it's still technically the holidays, he's likely financially comfortable and is relaxing with family.

This isn't a huge, big deal, a miscarriage of the medical system, it could be so much worse. What would be bad is if you were given hormones and they ****88 you up due to the doctors negligence (not checking estrogen for months for example).

In the meantime, doctor shop some more, or rub pregnenolone/DHEA in MCT oil on your balls (where it will locally convert to androgens).
Are you aware that progesterone directly raises allopreg and has specific anti-serotonin actions? I would rather not bombard you with studies, but your way of thinking about these issues really is a huge part of the problem. I simply described my feelings as I experienced them and then gave a brief explanation of why that might be happening. What would you say if I had told you that I have also used 5a-DHP and other dopaminergic drugs, and this is how I know what allopreg and dopamine feel like (to me)? If you believe that I should not feel the need to draw conclusions about what the physiological cause is, then I would say that suggestion is decidedly unscientific.
Not quite sure what is "untasteful" about hormone replacement therapy, and if this is the reason, I would push for an explanation. I am not hearing from either the endocrinologist or the other doctor. The endocrinologist is the one refusing to treat me without even seeing me. I tend to not have a high tolerance for people who don't feel the need to live up to their job descriptions. Your hypothetical suggestion regarding an endocrinologist neglecting someone who is under their care could actually warrant a lawsuit. I never said that I am dealing with a great miscarriage of justice. This is more to do with run of the mill, incompetent, authoritarian physicians.
I find Pansterone on the testes to be immediately destabilizing (estrogenic), but I appreciate the suggestion.

Last edited:

Andman

while i understand your desire for a "quick fix", id only jump on TRT as the absolute last resort (yeah, didnt stop me back then neither haha).

No guarantees youll actually feel better at all. Also youll basically be injecting PUFAs multiple times per week

Fetch

I think you should skip the doctors and just do it yourself. You likely know enough about endocrinology and will know the signs of excess estrogen, shut down etc... you know what blood tests you want and you can manage your own dose and schedule. You can put your test level wherever feels best. You can choose what type of test you want and the oil carrier finding testosterone in MCT isn't hard but if you ask a Dr they will probably not accommodate you. Just throwing it out there.

Stud

maybe order testosterone ent or prop from a steroid site + aromasin to keep e low

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals