Can Choline Deficiency Actually Increase Cholinergic Activity?

Short-term nutritional folate deficiency in rats has a greater effect on choline and acetylcholine metabolism in the peripheral nervous system than in the brain, and this effect escalates with age

Folate deficiency induces choline deficiency, which then selectively inhibits cholinergic activity in some organs, but increases it in others.

"Our results demonstrate a significant association between low choline levels in the heart and increased acetylcholine levels in response to folate deprivation in adult rats. Recent studies in rats suggest a strong association between increased acetylcholine levels in the heart and the development of hypertension [50,51]. Specifically, it was suggested that the increases in acetylcholine synthesis in the heart reflect augmented parasympathetic activity counteracting or compensating for the augmented sympathetic drive of early-stage hypertension [50,51]. Our present data demonstrate that short-term nutritional folate deficiency potentiates agerelated increases in acetylcholine levels in the hearts of adult rats. Furthermore, studies in rats [9,10,31,32,52,53] and humans [54-57] show that folate deficiency results in hyperhomocysteinemia, which, in turn, is associated with the risk of hypertension"

interesting tidbit...
"...in adult folate-deficient rats, there was a dramatic increase in dopamine release. Futhermore the increase in dopamine release was associated with higher levels of acetylcholine."

My takeaway: Worry more about choline deficiency than choline excess... I would love to see a well controlled study that suggests that excess dietary choline translates into excess acetylcholine, but until then will be enjoying red meat and egg yolks.

success23

I wonder if this is the cause of my hyperhidrosis ... too much acetylcholine at the wrong places

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals