Buteyko, Bag, and Nitric Oxide

bookshelf

Per comments by RP and other digging I've done, it's my understanding that too much nitric oxide isn't metabolically friendly (to say the least). RP talks about bag breathing and also gave a hat-tip to the Buteyko method however, both stand to increase NO (w/ Buteyko method in particular emphasizing how it increases NO). Seems a lot of folks are keen on the Bag and/or Buteyko method. Can someone help me understand how the NO produced by these practices isn't harmful? It seems a bit counterintuitive to me and I'm simply trying to bridge my mental disconnect on the subject.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Great question! I've been thinking about that and another Ray conflict regarding Buteyko.

First, the topic in question, NO. Nose breathing in general has been attributed to more NO production. While I am not familiar with the mechanism, it seems to be a localized event that allows for local dilation of the passageways and smooth muscle relaxation. The NO then can enter the rest of the body. Moreover, the increase in CO2 itself resulting from Buteyko, might balance out any negative effects from NO. Perhaps the CO2 is not being credited as much as it should when nose breathing and the credit is going to NO? There is no denying NO in that way makes sense biologically but so does CO2.

The second conflict with Ray, is that one time I remember him being asked about Buteyko that he always spoke highly of. The caller or interviewer said that following Buteyko, the goal is to breathe less per minute. Ray didn't like that. I am not sure why. I think Ray was thinking that the higher the metabolic rate, the more you need to breathe? I am not sure.

So not answering your question per se, but just adding onto it :)

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Great question! I've been thinking about that and another Ray conflict regarding Buteyko.

First, the topic in question, NO. Nose breathing in general has been attributed to more NO production. While I am not familiar with the mechanism, it seems to be a localized event that allows for local dilation of the passageways and smooth muscle relaxation. The NO then can enter the rest of the body. Moreover, the increase in CO2 itself resulting from Buteyko, might balance out any negative effects from NO. Perhaps the CO2 is not being credited as much as it should when nose breathing and the credit is going to NO? There is no denying NO in that way makes sense biologically but so does CO2.

The second conflict with Ray, is that one time I remember him being asked about Buteyko that he always spoke highly of. The caller or interviewer said that following Buteyko, the goal is to breathe less per minute. Ray didn't like that. I am not sure why. I think Ray was thinking that the higher the metabolic rate, the more you need to breathe? I am not sure.

So not answering your question per se, but just adding onto it :)
Thank you and excellent points!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals