Reishi, Mast Cells Stabilization, Estrogen And Nitric Oxide

Hi All,

I'm new to Peating and wanted to get a better handle on Reishi and how it fits into the bigger picture. I started taking Reishi a while back for a host of reasons but mainly for its anti inflammatory and mast cell stabilizing properties (due to histamine issues). Since discovering Ray Peat Ive done a little reading (emphasis on the word 'little') and understand that you don't want to ingest anything that does the following: Increases Nitric Oxide, estrogen and serotonin or / inhibits the cytochrome P450 enzymes / causes the cells to accumulate calcium (is this correct?)

From the few studies/article Ive read it seems that Reishi fails on the first count:

This suggests it increases NO in macrophages as part of its anticancer mechanism?
http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-YAOL200412018.htm
Also . .
A unique beta-glucan from the mycelium enhanced the production of nitric oxides from macrophages but decreased other free radicals and the collateral harm they cause to healthy cells. (Han et al. 1998; Li et al. 2000; Zhou and Gao 2002).

But this one seems to suggest Reishi protects against overproduction of NO
Ganoderma lucidum inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in macrophages - Springer

As far as estrogen goes this study suggests that Reishi is estrogenic
Estrogen-like activity of ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum - Springer

Im not sure if I am interpreting these correctly and so any insights/ interpretations you guys have on Reishi and how it fits into the big picture, would be greatly received.

probably true -- it inhibits NO, and is a phytoestrogen.

Sometimes it's worth it though. Depends on the cost-benefit analysis.

For instance, this is true of quercetin, but there may be benefit to it outweighing the bad (estrogenic activity).

OP
whitepapercrane
probably true -- it inhibits NO, and is a phytoestrogen.

Sometimes it's worth it though. Depends on the cost-benefit analysis.

For instance, this is true of quercetin, but there may be benefit to it outweighing the bad (estrogenic activity).

Interesting point. I have wondered about this since changing my diet to a more Peat way of eating. If something is potentially causing inflammation (for example via increasing estrogen) you believe its potential benefits can still have positive effects overall? (I was kind of working from the premise that if its inflammatory that I should not ingest it until my body stops reacting with an inflammation response)

Interesting point. I have wondered about this since changing my diet to a more Peat way of eating. If something is potentially causing inflammation (for example via increasing estrogen) you believe its potential benefits can still have positive effects overall? (I was kind of working from the premise that if its inflammatory that I should not ingest it until my body stops reacting with an inflammation response)
My example of quercetin is antiinflamatory but estrogenic. Could have benefit.