Bart kay debunking ray about randle cycle...makes alot of sense for those interested

Elie

Forum Supporter
14 minutes in and I'm.not all two impressed by two statements already
1. Cells need insulin to uptake glucose. Only muscle and fat cells depend on insulin for glucose uptake

2. He blames glycation on carbs, while PUFA breakdown derivatives are far more implicated in glycation

CLASH

Months later after being called out for putting out incorrect descriptions of the Randle cycle and Bart still doesn't fully understand it.

Even worse, he changed his description of the cycle in this video, and included elements that he previously denied were important. Such elements include NADH/ NAD, FADH/NADH, ROS/ Reverse Electron transport, etc.

He also sites no papers for his work. Not sure he even reads the research. For example, when we used Sir Philip Randle's papers to refute his statements he implied Randle was incorrect in his interpretation of the Randle cycle because of the "sugar industry".

If anyone would like to actually understand whats going on in the randle cycle, based directly on what researchers including Sir Philip Randle have published, check these videos out:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgt4WtFNJw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfj1jwTu9r0

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oj4UQQ_JXnc

If anyone would like to understand Reverse electron transport and ROS, please check out this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRtnYsLr4Q

cremes

The timing of this topic landing here is pretty good. I follow the newsletter/blog of Dr. Michael Eades who is known for writing the book PROTEIN POWER (with his doctor wife) and several other tomes on the benefits of low-carb dieting. I find him to be a thoughtful and pragmatic guy. His latest newsletter (The Arrow #130) is the second in a row that refers to the Mercola / Dinkov podcast from a few weeks ago. Not a spoiler: he doesn't agree with the bioenergetic view of metabolism.

In the latest Arrow he points to a paper (linked below) that purports to debunk the Randle Cycle and show that it, in fact, works in the reverse of what Randle originally hypothesized. Instead of fat raising glucose in the blood (since, per the Randle Cycle, your body can either use sugar or fat for energy but not both at the same time at the cellular level) he and other low-carb practitioners see the opposite where low-carb dieting lowers blood sugar over time.

I'm relatively new to understanding these pathways so I don't know who is right or wrong. My intuition says that of the trillions of cells in your body some percentage of them can be in sugar-burning mode while the balance are in fat-burning mode and their simultaneous execution doesn't actually debunk anything. Presenting here in the event anyone is interested in the topic.

Attachments

• 1996y Sidossis Wolfe Glucose and insulin-induced inhibition of fatty acid oxidation - the glu...pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

Audacity17

The timing of this topic landing here is pretty good. I follow the newsletter/blog of Dr. Michael Eades who is known for writing the book PROTEIN POWER (with his doctor wife) and several other tomes on the benefits of low-carb dieting. I find him to be a thoughtful and pragmatic guy. His latest newsletter (The Arrow #130) is the second in a row that refers to the Mercola / Dinkov podcast from a few weeks ago. Not a spoiler: he doesn't agree with the bioenergetic view of metabolism.

In the latest Arrow he points to a paper (linked below) that purports to debunk the Randle Cycle and show that it, in fact, works in the reverse of what Randle originally hypothesized. Instead of fat raising glucose in the blood (since, per the Randle Cycle, your body can either use sugar or fat for energy but not both at the same time at the cellular level) he and other low-carb practitioners see the opposite where low-carb dieting lowers blood sugar over time.

I'm relatively new to understanding these pathways so I don't know who is right or wrong. My intuition says that of the trillions of cells in your body some percentage of them can be in sugar-burning mode while the balance are in fat-burning mode and their simultaneous execution doesn't actually debunk anything. Presenting here in the event anyone is interested in the topic.
I actually came here to make a new post about this, but did a search and see you've brought it up. Kudos to you. Since so many people in the Peat space bring up the Randle cycle frequently, this definitely needs to be addressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals