An Ayurvedic Perspective On Peat

Morning Star

I am curious as to how many of you here incorporate the principles of Ayurveda into you diet and lifestlye. I have been following an Ayurvedic diet, or rather a synthesis of Peat and Ayurveda, since September and have noted marked improvements in my physical, psychological, and perhaps even spiritual well-being.
Skin health has slowly, but steadily improved, Anger and explosiveness have generally subsided, or rather been channeled into proactive, remedial actions rather than lashing out. Tongue coating has virtually vanished. Eliminations are regular, Sleep quality is now excellent, whereas before I would wake 3 or for times a night and struggle getting back to sleep.
What attracted me to Ayurveda was that I hardly needed to change my diet at all. Simply removing certain aggravating food items and replacing them with more complimentary ones. Much of what Peat recommends falls right in line with Ayurvedic teachings, where fruit and milk are highly esteemed and regarded as being the most sattvic or sacred and pure foods. Their are however some key points of divergence.
Ayurveda discourages caffeine consumption for most individuals,and certainly not at the the levels peat recommends. Meat, while highly nutritive , is viewed as being ultimately tamasic, or exerting a dulling, or spiritually deadening effect on a person. Specific herbs and spices are encouraged to aid digestion, whereas Peat prohibits virtually every one of them. Proper food combination is a cornerstone of Ayurveda, and this is something that Peat only cursorily addresses, and often in opposition to Ayurvedic teachings.

papaya

well chaywanprash mixed in milk seems very peaty, minus the spices tho lol. what does your average ayurvedic daily diet look like? what ayurvedic practices have u found to be most helpful?

papaya

i remember wanting sugar free/fat free chyawanprash back when i was into ayurveda & i was told that the fat/sugar r very important. it's the 1st thing i thought about when i started learning abt peat.

OP
Morning Star

Morning Star

for breakfast I have barley, maple syrup, ghee, raisin and milk. snack on grapes, kiwis, oranges, mangoes, melons, or pineapple. Lunch is usually a muffin and two cups of milk, or kitchari and coconut water. dinner is rice pudding and dates.
Most helpful aspects would be eating for my dosha, eating at the proper times, and getting to bed super early.

lvysaur

I haven't read much into it, but Peat foods are too "Sattvic" to be a coincidence. Sattvic indicates something that promotes calmness and a feeling of contentment.

Peat pretty much says outright that fruit and milk should be the "base" of the diet, and those two things are the most undisputedly Sattvic foods, according to the websites I've looked at, in addition to things like honey and rice.

Honestly, I think all this stuff leads right down to the craveability of the food. The more something is craved, the less of a good food it is in the long term, though that's not to say that it should be totally avoided.

Pretty much nobody craves milk and fruit and honey; we just enjoy their taste in an almost "aesthetic", higher-functioning way. Potatoes are a bit more cravy. Meat is very craveable. PUFA-fried snacks the most.

This shouldn't be confused with the statement "if it tastes bad it is good for you". A lack of an addicting taste is different from something tasting bad.

papaya

i think that peat would probably most benefit kapha, it seems that it might not be as beneficial for pitta's who r trying to lessen heat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom