Alternating pH Claims

Waynish

There's a popular claim that the pH in the body alternates, as in:
1) mouth is alkaline
2) stomach is acidic
3) small intestine is alkaline
4) large intestine is acidic

I would like to find some better references & proofs of this - as well as determine the supposed alkalinity in the spleen, pancreas, and appendix. And also how much this varies - what is the supposed healthy variability of pH in each part of the body?

ThinPicking

There's a popular claim that the pH in the body alternates, as in:
1) mouth is alkaline
2) stomach is acidic
3) small intestine is alkaline
4) large intestine is acidic

I would like to find some better references & proofs of this - as well as determine the supposed alkalinity in the spleen, pancreas, and appendix. And also how much this varies - what is the supposed healthy variability of pH in each part of the body?
Sci-Hub and PubMed will get you there.

OP
W

Waynish

I've done the obvious stuff; please don't troll :)
I want to see how you actually relate the so-called peer reviewed sources with direct experience... I figured my OP made that obvious.
Thank you all, again.

yerrag

Good questions.

I would just say that you have only mentioned the external parts of the body, as mouth mouth to anus that is external. Just as our lungs and alveoli and the exchange of gas where CO2 is exhaled and air inhaled is considered external respiration, and where oxygen is released into our tissues and CO2 is released from tissues into blood is called internal respiration.

I do not disagree with what you say about the pH of the stomach and the pH of the small intestine. But I disagree with your take on the pH of the large intestine. The pH is still alkaline, but perhaps more acidic than that of the small intestine, as with the small intestine the pancreas have to release bicarbonate in order to lower the acidity of chyme that comes from food digested by the stomach with acid. Whereas in the large intestine, there are microbes which produces acids, and so it would be logical to consider it more acidic than the small intestine.

As for the mouth, there is no question for me that it reflects more the pH of the saliva, given that saliva is plentiful there. But it could be influenced by oral health, as when there is a periodontal issue, or it could also be influenced by the pH of what comes out from the gut when there are gut issues.

I'm sure with more research we could get an absolute range of pH for each of these sections of our gut, and so far I have only talked about relative acidity/alkalinity.

That would be helpful to know, as once I administered on a kitten who was late into feline distemper, and I thought an enema with ascorbic acid solution would allow the large intestine walls to absorb ascorbic acid into the bloodstream to save her. But she only had diarrhea. I was to learn later than there is a limit to the acidity beyond which diarrhea would be triggered. Had I known better, I would have just diluted further the ascorbic acid so that the acidity would be within the tolerable limits of the large intestine.

ThinPicking

I've done the obvious stuff; please don't troll :)
I want to see how you actually relate the so-called peer reviewed sources with direct experience... I figured my OP made that obvious.
Thank you all, again.
@Waynish you asked for "better references & proofs". Journal sources are your best bet for determining internal anatomy and organ pH. How exactly are you going to get "direct experience" of this without a scalpel.

Now I think you are the troll.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals