ADVICE! Low urine output Cat

RealNeat

@yerrag

There is a cat with low urine output, keeps going to the litter and only produces specks of urine.

Checked penis and doesn't seem to be inflamed or clogged but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for and it's very difficult to retract the skin and reveal the penis.

As far as going to the vet I'm told the cat is unvaccinated and there may be issues accepting said cat to the vet. Maybe I'm misinformed?

Any advice is welcome, it is a male cat in good health around 3 years old, was a feral cat the owners have had him for 2 years with no health issues to date. Was vaccinated once for rabies but no more.

So far have tried coconut oil on his coat so he can lick it off and have some antibacterial benefits, put colloidal silver in his water and will later open a capsule of CranActin cranberry extract mix it with coconut oil and put it on his coat again (so he will lick it off)

Thx

@yerrag

There is a cat with low urine output, keeps going to the litter and only produces specks of urine.

Checked penis and doesn't seem to be inflamed or clogged but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for and it's very difficult to retract the skin and reveal the penis.

As far as going to the vet I'm told the cat is unvaccinated and there may be issues accepting said cat to the vet. Maybe I'm misinformed?

Any advice is welcome, it is a male cat in good health around 3 years old, was a feral cat the owners have had him for 2 years with no health issues to date. Was vaccinated once for rabies but no more.

So far have tried coconut oil on his coat so he can lick it off and have some antibacterial benefits, put colloidal silver in his water and will later open a capsule of CranActin cranberry extract mix it with coconut oil and put it on his coat again (so he will lick it off)

Thx

When my little dog’s urinary tract was showing signs of a problem with dark urine or excessive licking, I slathered her private areas with coconut oil and it cleared things up. I often put acidophilus with bifidus in her water too.

Z

Zsazsa

I would try taking him to an emergency vet, they might not ask for vaccination card

Lilac

I have a tube of apple-flavor horse Ivermectin, bought for the era of Covid. A couple of weeks ago, my 10-year-old female cat started sleeping under furniture, acting alarmed at times. I was thinking she might be on a decline from aging or perhaps it was a cancer. I figured the Ivermectin couldn't hurt. I gave her a small dot with a Q-tip in the mouth. With hours, she was much more frisky.

If Ivermectin is anti-parasite--and anti-inflammatory, per Ray--it might be worth a shot.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

thank you for your replies! I'll consider the emergency vet, I'm waiting it out for now.

I'm wondering if aspirin may help? It's acidic and I've been reading that ~5ml ACV (which is also acidic) is the go to for dissolving crystals within hours. People report it's like opening the floodgates for male kitties and a very effective solution. I'm sure the cat will highly dislike it so it's a last resort.

That being said I'm not so sure he had/ has a full bladder.
1. His bladder doesn't feel firm or full, no crying out or reaction upon squeezing.
2. After I posted this (original post) I observed his morning urine and there was a considerable amount, which to me implies that he can pee but something is irritating him and causing him to think he has to pee.
3. I used Pretty Litter we had on hand to (roughly) measure his urine pH, it seems to be in the normal range (yellowish)

I hope people who may think such inquiries on the RPF are out of place to consider that a version of Rays concepts (and the other bioenergetic principles) can and should be applied broadly to all living things, including plants. Though we have a rather large bank of human experimentation on the forum I feel that animal anecdotes are lacking, and they too deserve amazing, pain free lives.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I had a cat with recurring urinary issues years ago and we had to put him on a lower magnesium diet per the veterinarians recommendation and it solved his problems.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found this:

“The problem, as I see it, is kibble (dry food) and its unnaturalness. The answer is not to fiddle around with formulating artificial dry cat foods but to feed your cat with a high protein, high quality wet cat food. Cats eating canned cat food have less urinary tract health problems than cats on kibble. Common sense tells us that the relatively high moisture content of canned cat food is more natural, replicates more accurately the natural food of the cat and helps prevent the formation of stones by hydrating the cat.

The culprit was and is dry cat food. I guess the manufacturers want to retain dry cat food because it is hugely profitable and tried to find a way around the problem while retaining it. They even invented a so called prescription diet on the back of the problem.”

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Cats don't have the pathway to process salycilates and can get sal poisoning
I know many people who use cranberry for their cats and dogs in my understanding it also has salicylates. Maybe the dose is very low comparatively?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I have a tube of apple-flavor horse Ivermectin, bought for the era of Covid. A couple of weeks ago, my 10-year-old female cat started sleeping under furniture, acting alarmed at times. I was thinking she might be on a decline from aging or perhaps it was a cancer. I figured the Ivermectin couldn't hurt. I gave her a small dot with a Q-tip in the mouth. With hours, she was much more frisky.

If Ivermectin is anti-parasite--and anti-inflammatory, per Ray--it might be worth a shot.
I'll pick one up at the local farm store to have on hand. Concerned a bit about passing into the brain but it's better than losing him.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I had a cat with recurring urinary issues years ago and we had to put him on a lower magnesium diet per the veterinarians recommendation and it solved his problems.
I noticed that the chemical composition of Struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate) crystals contain Mg, so it would make sense to prevent their formation. I've cut all his dry food, in hopes it'll lower the Mg from the plants in it, even though I didn't give him too much (he likes crunchy stuff)

Maybe using more milk to offset his phosphate would also help since NH4MgPO4·6H2O? Or should I not do that since it may help acidify his urine?

This is his dry food below ?? I see some plants but I'm wondering if it's really enough to have a Mg excess?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 11

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I noticed that the chemical composition of Struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate) crystals contain Mg, so it would make sense to prevent their formation. I've cut all his dry food, in hopes it'll lower the Mg from the plants in it, even though I didn't give him too much (he likes crunchy stuff)

Maybe using more milk to offset his phosphate would also help since NH4MgPO4·6H2O? Or should I not do that since it may help acidify his urine?

This is his dry food below ?? I see some plants but I'm wondering if it's really enough to have a Mg excess?
Perhaps just cutting down on the dry food/kibble and feeding primarily soft food would be enough to make a difference?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Perhaps just cutting down on the dry food/kibble and feeding primarily soft food would be enough to make a difference?
No that's not complicated enough ? jk

Yes, that's my plan thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No that's not complicated enough ? jk

Yes, that's my plan thank you.
Best wishes! Please keep us posted.
I have 4 semi feral barn cats that were dumped off/abandoned near my home last year. I’ve been feeding them primarily soft food and they are thriving.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Best wishes! Please keep us posted.
I have 4 semi feral barn cats that were dumped off/abandoned near my home last year. I’ve been feeding them primarily soft food and they are thriving.
Yes I will, I feel that he's already doing better, less frequent trips I've noticed, no dry food since last night. That's great, I let him out because like your barn cats I feel that the prey they catch is both physically and psychologically beneficial for them.

yerrag

@yerrag

Thx
Slippery elm could help if it's a kidney issue:
View: https://youtu.be/MExmzXeUyJw

I have heard gravel root, golden rod, marshmallow root and uva ursi can help if passing a stone... but except for slippery elm, I don't know how safe these are for cats.

I lost my first cat, which is male, and neutered at 2 years, when he was only 5. Mr. Big died because he couldn't urinate and it was probably at an adVance stage before I noticed it. Or even if I did and took him to the vet, I am not sure how much help a vet would be short of inserting a catheter to let the urine pass thru the plugged up lumen.

I kept thinking then that it was poor diet that did him in, and maybe it was, as he was my first cat and I was learning the ropes.

But just recently a 5 year old female cat, which I adopted as a year old mom with a 2 week old baby, and spayed shortly thereafter, began to have difficulty urinating.

I still didn't take her to the vet. I have been prepared for such a situation. Not by certainty of a cure but by having my toolkit ready. I have a homeopathic kit for pets and I have some Idealabs steroids.

I began the first 2 days giving Pulsatilla 30C 3x a day, but felt it wouldn't hurt to add a natural steroid, progesterone (Progestene) and DHEA/pregnenolone (Pansterone), 2 x1 drop/day.

The choice of homeopathic remedy was based on observing her symptoms, as there were many remedies to choose from for Cystitis. And I felt that progesterone might be a steroid that desexed animals (male or female) may not be producing, as that is something I sort of picked up reading up on Ray Peat. And pregnenolone/DHEA, was just something that may help and if not would not hurt or have side effects. I would have added thyroid, but I felt it was unnecessary as the cat didn't have signs of low temperature but if the progesterone gave her some discomfort, I could use it in order to provide some balancing.

It didn't take longer than 2 days for the cat to feel better and her urinating patterns, as well as sleep patterns, and other behavior, reverted from being irritable to being calm. She went back to her daily routine and her regular hangouts including her sleeping location.

Since my success is with a female cat, it may not be as easily replicated with a male cat as male cats have a long lumen to let urine pass thru. But if the cat is neutered and the problem is hormonal, progesterone may still help.

I stopped the homeopathic treatment on the third day, but continue to apply just progesterone once a day now. I will stop two weeks after I begin treatment, and just apply progesterone once a week for maintenance purposes.

duckfoot

I lost my first cat, which is male, and neutered at 2 years, when he was only 5. Mr. Big died because he couldn't urinate and it was probably at an adVance stage before I noticed it. Or even if I did and took him to the vet, I am not sure how much help a vet would be short of inserting a catheter to let the urine pass thru the plugged up lumen.

I kept thinking then that it was poor diet that did him in, and maybe it was, as he was my first cat and I was learning the ropes.

But just recently a 5 year old female cat, which I adopted as a year old mom with a 2 week old baby, and spayed shortly thereafter, began to have difficulty urinating.

I still didn't take her to the vet. I have been prepared for such a situation. Not by certainty of a cure but by having my toolkit ready. I have a homeopathic kit for pets and I have some Idealabs steroids.

I began the first 2 days giving Pulsatilla 30C 3x a day, but felt it wouldn't hurt to add a natural steroid, progesterone (Progestene) and DHEA/pregnenolone (Pansterone), 2 x1 drop/day.

The choice of homeopathic remedy was based on observing her symptoms, as there were many remedies to choose from for Cystitis. And I felt that progesterone might be a steroid that desexed animals (male or female) may not be producing, as that is something I sort of picked up reading up on Ray Peat. And pregnenolone/DHEA, was just something that may help and if not would not hurt or have side effects. I would have added thyroid, but I felt it was unnecessary as the cat didn't have signs of low temperature but if the progesterone gave her some discomfort, I could use it in order to provide some balancing.

It didn't take longer than 2 days for the cat to feel better and her urinating patterns, as well as sleep patterns, and other behavior, reverted from being irritable to being calm. She went back to her daily routine and her regular hangouts including her sleeping location.

Since my success is with a female cat, it may not be as easily replicated with a male cat as male cats have a long lumen to let urine pass thru. But if the cat is neutered and the problem is hormonal, progesterone may still help.

I stopped the homeopathic treatment on the third day, but continue to apply just progesterone once a day now. I will stop two weeks after I begin treatment, and just apply progesterone once a week for maintenance purposes.
That is awesome, thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom