Ray Peat Interview #85: Protein Restriction | Lidocaine for Hair Loss? | Brain Size, Intelligence & Symptom Recognition with Georgi and Danny

David PS

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZCgpw6_sRA

00:00 - Intro, protein, methionine restriction, "high protein Ray Peat diet"
04:50 - Amino acids, Broda Barnes, lifespan, tryptophan, cysteine, methionine, mTOR, calorie restriction
8:08 - Is methionine more thyroid suppressive than Ray initially thought?
9:35 - Would methionine restriction help sick people?
12:10 - How did Ray arrive at 50 grams of protein to experiment with?
13:28 - Is it a good idea to increase carbohydrate if you reduce protein?
14:45 - How has a lower protein intake influenced Ray's liver consumption?
16:00 - How does methionine suppress thyroid function?
16:44 - Do people with physically larger brains notice more symptoms?
21:20 - Strategies for people that can take a lot of progesterone without effect? Strategies for people with liver disease?
24:30 - Nicotine and the cholinergic system, what accounts for tobacco's widespread use?
26:28 - How does methionine relate to estrogen and serotonin, which can deplete glycogen?
27:42 - Lidocaine as a topical for hair loss? 29:00 - Ray's clarification on gentle massage for hair loss
30:44 - The common phenomenon of overdosing with cynoplus and cynomel, using a scale
36:33 - Are things still going to plan for the technocrat oligarchs? Dumbed down culture, CBDCs, food shortages
42:42 - 'A Message for Americans' and 'Get Ready for the Economic Collapse' by Gonzalo Lira
47:02 - Ray's preparation for nuclear war, remedies for radiation exposure
49:35 - In a dystopian future, what does Ray think the function of the Mexican cartels would be?

tastyfood

This episode made my head spin. Ray is right that it is really hard to eat lower than 50g of protein per day if you eat pro metabolic foods.

Today, my breakfast consisted of: 1/3 cup of oat bran cooked in a cup of milk, one glass orange juice, a cup of coffee with two scoops gelatin. Just with this, I consumed 31g of protein according to Cronometer.

The part about the difficulty of measuring thyroid tables was so new to me. I thought using the scale was enough. It didn't even occur to me that the thyroid content could be unevenly distributed. After all, medications in pill form are sold to consume whole, not in nibbles.

-Luke-

Q: "If the butcher had ruminant liver would your preference be for that and it's just not available given all the crazy things that are happening?"
Ray: "Little chicken livers with bacon are very pleasant..."

Whaaaaat!? Ray Peat eats food because it tastes good to him? I thought his whole purpose in life was to be a lab rat and find the perfect diet for a perfect physiological and metabolic state so we on this forum could copy him...

My world view is collapsing here. First he's in a long-term relationship and now this. How much more betrayal can I take?

He somewhat makes up for it with this highlight, though: "Everything they're doing is becoming stupid and obvious but they have rigged it so that stupid and obvious aren't impediments to going ahead."

Thanks for posting by the way, David.

GreekDemiGod

Today, my breakfast consisted of: 1/3 cup of oat bran cooked in a cup of milk, one glass orange juice, a cup of coffee with two scoops gelatin. Just with this, I consumed 31g of protein according to Cronometer.
I thought protein from gelatin doesn't count.

Nomane Euger

I thought protein from gelatin doesn't count.
can we eat 100 000 grammes of proteins from gelatin in a meal with out any downside,as gelatin does not count?

Iceman2016

What was the basis for the idea of lidocaine being used for hairloss? Where did this idea come from? Has anyone been using this with any results to report?

Healthseeker

He talks so freaking slow. Maybe if he put some ketones in his brain instead of sugar all the time he might sound a little better

Healthseeker

No Im going to say what I think. What is the point of sitting there asking stupid questions and like acting like he's not half senile

Healthseeker

If I did the interview I'd be like "what if you took some ketone esters what is stance on that ray peat"?

Nomane Euger

No Im going to say what I think. What is the point of sitting there asking stupid questions and like acting like he's not half senile
hi boy,why does it matter if he talk slowly according to you,if they are interested in what he has to say?there is multiples contexts where talking slowly relative to others is not a bad indication

GreekDemiGod

He talks so freaking slow. Maybe if he put some ketones in his brain instead of sugar all the time he might sound a little better
Yeah, his verbal fluency is not that impressive, to be honest. I remember my grandfather when he was around 80 could speak as fluent as Ray. But not on intellectual/ scientific topics.
I also suspect Ray 's presentation/ oral communication skills were never naturally great, he seems anxious and fearful.

Nomane Euger

Healthseeker

Yeah, his verbal fluency is not that impressive, to be honest. I remember my grandfather when he was around 80 could speak as fluent as Ray. But not on intellectual/ scientific topics.
I also suspect Ray 's presentation/ oral communication skills were never naturally great, he seems anxious and fearful.
Yeah my grandma was 86 I think and I mean alzheimers bad. But whatever people just pis me off

Nomane Euger

there is a point where you can be extremely relax,feeling good,and you can talk as slowly as Ray with out stuttering,and you are not anxious or fearfull at all,you dont care whever or not your speech speed is perceived,the most relaxed you feel'(specifically if you feel like a man and not like a kid),the more slowly you tend to talk

John mcclain

I dont know really...I mean when I defend peat ideas to others I say no his ideas aren't purely coke and sugar but real food liver potatoes and meat, eggs but let's think about how much of these foods you can eat if you eat less than 100grms of protein...whilst I'm not a hater this interview makes very little sense in regards to his protein consumption to me...I mean I'd love to sit around drinking coke and coffee all day (and I've tried)but that makes me feel like ***t and gain weight

Nomane Euger

I dont know really...I mean when I defend peat ideas to others I say no his ideas aren't purely coke and sugar but real food liver potatoes and meat, eggs but let's think about how much of these foods you can eat if you eat less than 100grms of protein...whilst I'm not a hater this interview makes very little sense in regards to his protein consumption to me...I mean I'd love to sit around drinking coke and coffee all day (and I've tried)but that makes me feel like ***t and gain weight
Ray said:
"How well so many old people do living on tea and toast for exemple or jello and toast"

Danny said"
"That's the real Ray peat diet"

pure carbs confirmed

sunny

Speed up the playback speed. Technology is great in that regard. Ray Peat is a wealth of information that Google can never match. The fact that he is experimenting with dietary choices should surprise no one. He referenced broad Barnes (pre 1970) with the info that Barnes noted increased protein equated to increased need for thyroid. The needs of the organism change from baby to child to adolescent to young adult. So that they seeming change from mature adult to senior adult is not surprising. I have heard Peat in numerous interviews over the years reference older people doing great on diet of basically jello and toast. Rays slow manner of speech could be he keeps his serotonin really low. And if it is anything else, the fact that he still keeps a rigorous FREE interview schedule is impressive. He is a treasure, walking history and irreplaceable knowledge. I pray for his continued good health and longevity. I see no one who could fill his shoes.

sunny

Ray explained the rough voice as being a result of laryngitis in late 2021, which he suspected was caused by an allergic reaction to eating bacon that had been cured in celery juice powder, which is a very allergenic material. I think his voice has been a little deeper since then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals