Ray Peat Interview #85: Protein Restriction | Lidocaine for Hair Loss? | Brain Size, Intelligence & Symptom Recognition with Georgi and Danny

GreekDemiGod

Does anyone know how much thyroid does Ray take nowadays?
Perhaps I'm being harsh, the fact that he still needs to use thyroid hormones suggests that his dietary principles never really cure hypothyroidism and that is a sad realization. To think that he's dedicated his whole life to thyroid/ metabolism research and has little to show for.
It's one thing if he'd be using it to get an edge in his old age, but if he's needing it to be functional, that's not good.

Other protocols promise permanent reversal of hypothyroid state, why should I still follow Ray's?

Last edited:

Nomane Euger

Perhaps I'm being harsh, the fact that he still needs to use thyroid hormones suggests that his dietary principles never really cure hypothyroidism and that is a sad realization.
It's one thing if he'd be using it to get an edge in his old age, but if he's needing it to be functional, that's not good.
No,the fact that he still uses thyroid hormones does not suggest that his dietary principles never really cure hypothyroidism,it suggest that he thinks he feel better using it,therefore he use it

Inaut

Why wouldn't it count? Protein is protein. Cronometer will show you how many grams of protein en each scoop of Gelatin, for example.

I think Ray said it wasn't a complete protein as it was missing a few amino acids.

tastyfood

I think Ray said it wasn't a complete protein as it was missing a few amino acids.

All protein sources have some amino acids either missing or in very low amounts.

Many of the foods we advocate, like gelatin, are very low on the less desirable amino acids. Those foods still count as protein. You don't need all amino acids for something to be called protein.

P

pineywoodrooter

Perhaps I'm being harsh, the fact that he still needs to use thyroid hormones suggests that his dietary principles never really cure hypothyroidism and that is a sad realization. To think that he's dedicated his whole life to thyroid/ metabolism research and has little to show for.

Other protocols promise permanent reversal of hypothyroid state, why should I still follow Ray's?

Yes. It's like a bodybuilder on steroids saying he got "yuuuge" because he works harder than everyone else.

CastorTroy

Some years ago Peat said plenty of protein in the 150gr a day range was needed for good metabolism and healthy liver. Now he aims for 60gr/day.

ThunderSpank

Just in case anyone was more curious about this part of the interview.

Me: You mentioned you are eating around 500-600 grams of carbohydrates per day, some of which is well cooked vegetables. Do you mean starchy vegetables like potatoes or are you eating lots of the green vegetables like broccoli, kale, etc... I'm super curious where you're getting all that carbohydrate from. Thank you!

Ray: No potatoes; asparagus, turnips, carrots, cauliflower, squash.

I think hes including fiber in his 500 - 600 grams of carbohydrates per day.

Jam

He said he is including lots of Grape juice, as well as the Orange juice.
Well, he did say that he can't tolerate more than a couple ounces of grape juice per day, which really isn't all that much... I got the impression he still drinks bucketloads of OJ though.

P

Peatness

I heard him say "a couple of ounces at a time" rather than per day

tallglass13

Well, he did say that he can't tolerate more than a couple ounces of grape juice per day, which really isn't all that much... I got the impression he still drinks bucketloads of OJ though.
Yes, but he did say a few ounces at a time, not in a whole day. So it might end up being a quart in a day. Who knows at this point.

conrad0602

Surprised about the veg being a big source of carbs for him. He's always seemed to have a negative view on it and favoured/recommend fruit. Did he mention milk? Wouldn't be surprised if that was off the menu soon ?

Jam

I heard him say "a couple of ounces at a time" rather than per day
Yes, but he did say a few ounces at a time, not in a whole day. So it might end up being a quart in a day. Who knows at this point.
Ah, could very well be, I was a bit distracted. What struck me about that comment, though, is that I've been known to chug half a pint of grape juice, without ever noticing ill effects. A couple ounces is like a mouthful...

SamYo123

Surprised about the veg being a big source of carbs for him. He's always seemed to have a negative view on it and favoured/recommend fruit. Did he mention milk? Wouldn't be surprised if that was off the menu soon ?
He probably listend to @westsidepufas

P

Peatness

Ah, could very well be, I was a bit distracted. What struck me about that comment, though, is that I've been known to chug half a pint of grape juice, without ever noticing ill effects. A couple ounces is like a mouthful...
You are younger and physically more active than Dr Peat you can dispose of the sugar more efficiently perhaps. Red grape juice is so moreish.

CastorTroy

I still wonder where does he obtain 2000 carb based calories from. Thats a lot. Fiber shouldn't count as it offers no energy/calories. Also he used to not talk very well of fiber in the past, he always got inclined toward fast digestion sugary foods like fruits, juices potatoes and mill. Now he doesn't even eat potatoes? This is so confusing and his answers look ambiguous.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals