Yerba Mate Better Than Coffee?

southcesar

Contains high levels of oxalic acids. Taste like cra. . Personally I can only handle well caffeine hcl. All natural formes of caffeine give me jitters like coffee, mate, guarana, cola nut, only with black tea it's less pronounced. I think naturally caffeine is bound to some fibre and I suspect these fibre give me a hard time. I'm very fibrephobic.
This site says that the "chlorophyll" of mate tea breaks calcium oxalate stones (I don't know if this information is correct, that's what I found in a quick Google search).

I like to vary the flavors, sometimes I only take with sugar, sugar + lemon, sugar + peach. I really like the taste, and the smell is really good.

Matt C

Nothing has me going to the toilet quicker than Yerba. It's almost instant like what I hear from many people who drink coffee. I don't really get that from coffee though but definitely yerba.

This is a good thing right? We want to be increasing our bowel movements with food/drink?

Amazoniac

- The content of linoleic and alpha-linolenic acid in different types of Yerba Mate, depending on country of origin and the conditions of the infusion

"Analysis of fatty acids in different types of Yerba Mate has shown significant levels of LA and ALA. The concentrations of the acids present in brews was about [0.25 mg LA/mL of infusion] and [0.6 mg aLA/mL of infusion]. We also found a low concentration ratio of LA to ALA, which is 1:2.4 (omega 6 : omega 3). It should be noted that drinking 1 litre of Yerba Mate brew (assuming changing the leaves during each brewing), regardless of the country of origin, can partly meet the demand for these acids and lower the ratio of the daily supply of omega 6 : omega 3. If we assume that the daily demand for alpha-linolenic acid is approx. 2 g/day, the consumption of 1 litre of fresh brew will supply up to 30% of the recommended daily intake. The minimum daily dose of linoleic acid preventing symptoms of deficiency is 2 g (1% E) [15]. 1 litre of fresh infusion is able to cover approx. 12.5% of the minimum recommended daily intake. During subsequent brews of the same leaves the amount of both ALA and LA statistically decrease. The question is whether drinking large amounts of Yerba Mate will have a positive influence on our body. On the one hand, we see a positive impact in the prevention of many civilization diseases [1, 3, 4, 5]. On the other hand, we are finding more and more reports about a positive correlation between consumption of Yerba Mate and cancer incidence [1]. It is probable that higher risk of cancer incidence (mostly of the head and neck) is associated with high temperature of infusion [23]. Our study demonstrated that there are no significant differences in the amount of alpha-linolenic acid in the cold and the hot brews. In the case of linoleic acid, the cold drink even contains a significantly higher concentration of the acid. This means that drinking cold Yerba Mate we are able to eliminate one of the carcinogenic factors without losing the essential fatty acids. In addition, high temperature promotes fatty acid oxidation, which changes their healthy properties [23]."

"For individuals who regularly consume Yerba Mate it can be an important source of PUFA supplementation. The most preferred way to brew the tea is cold infusion, which delivers the highest dose of unchanged PUFAs. This method of brewing also reduces the gastrointestinal exposure to high temperature and thus reduces the risk of cancer incidence."

- Filtered Vs Un-filtered Coffee And Cholesterol

southcesar

In Brazil you can find the crushed leaves in powder, very green. And those crushed into larger pieces that are usually brown.

Amazoniac

- Chlorogenic acid isomer contents in 100 plants commercialized in Brazil

"Among the 100 plants investigated, yerba mate was shown to contain the highest concentrations of mono and dicaffeoylquinic acid isomers and, consequently, of total chlorogenic acids, though no detectable levels of caffeic acid were observed."

"In total, 84% of the analysed samples were observed to have quantifiable chlorogenic acid contents, which was represented by the sum of the concentrations of caffeic acid and monocaffeoylquinic and dicaffeoylquinic acid isomers. Yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis) had the highest total concentration (9.2 g/100 g), approximately 5.5 times that of white tea (1.6 g/100 g), which had the second highest content. Winter's bark (Drimys winteri), @Elderflower j58 (Sambucus nigra), and assa-peixe (Boehmeria caudata) were also highlighted due to their total chlorogenic acid concentrations being close that of white and green tea (Camellia sinensis). Plants such as artichoke (Cynara scolymus), arnica (Arnicae flos), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), greater burdock (Arctium lappa), and mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) had total values between 0.6 and 0.9 g/100 g, which indicates these plants may be of interest as alternative sources of chlorogenic acids."

"Coffee (Coffea canephora) has been reported in the literature as one of the main sources of chlorogenic acids because it contains from approximately 0.4 to 1.1 g/100 g (Farah & Donangelo, 2006). However, the total chlorogenic acid content of coffee is inferior to at least six plants analysed in this study (i.e., yerba mate, white tea, winter's bark, green tea, elderflower, and assa-peixe)."​

southcesar

Over the last fortnight I have been replacing the water with iced mate tea (roasted) with sugar, occasionally adding lemon. Although I did not observe significant weight loss, I did notice a reduction in the feeling of abdominal bloating, possibly due to the increased frequency of bathroom visits, which now occur four times a day. Additionally, the sporadic acne that usually appears on my chest appears to have subsided. I experienced no changes in my mood or an increase in tremors (I am affected by essential tremor). So far, my experience with this swap has been positive, and when I'm at home, I also consume some milk separately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals