Why Are We Avoiding Dental X-rays?

SarahBeara

Just saw this chart from xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

So why are we going out of our way to avoid dental x-rays when most of us wouldn't think twice about getting on a 5 hour plane ride?

Now you don't get on a plane every day but you don't get dental x-rays that often either. I've had extensive dental work done and maybe get one every 24 months, in which time I've received vastly multiples of radiation from living in my concrete built house.

Is it different radiation when it comes from x-rays? I know it's been mentioned the machines can be miscalibrated, but by 100's of times off? Is that likely?

Mittir

This topic has been discussed before several times.
It is a comparison of apples and oranges, where apple is the
gamma radiation mostly found in background radiation,
a high energy radiation that passes through body without
getting absorbed much. Orange is the X-ray, this radiation
gets absorbed in our body and causes all sorts of problems.
I think they are using those belt around neck to prevent
direct radiation to thyroid.

M

marikay

+1

OP
SarahBeara

SarahBeara

Cool, that's what I was wondering! So is there such a thing as 'background' x-rays or are they only produced by manmade equipment?

milk

I'm planning on getting a dental x-ray next week. I was concerned about radiation to the thyroid, I didn't know they used belts around the neck. Is that standard practice? Does it completely protect the thyroid?

I was hesitant about the x-ray but I really need to do it. My skull has been looking and feeling messed up for ages (from bad orthodontics) and I need to know exactly what's going on.

Peata

If I have to get xrays, I use before and after: red light, aspirin, niacinamide, progesterone, caffeine and/or coffee, theanine.

charmer

In one of his interviews, Peat talks about using ultrasound instead (for dental scanning). I'm wondering why on earth would anyone not use it when it is much safer. I don't get it.

dfspcc20

I'm wondering why on earth would anyone not use it when it is much safer.

Because people are invested (financially, mentally, personally, professionally, etc.) in the current paradigm. I don't see it so much as a conspiracy, but rather a collective stupidity. It'll probably take a generation or two of people dying off before things are able to change in the mainstream.

milk

In one of his interviews, Peat talks about using ultrasound instead (for dental scanning). I'm wondering why on earth would anyone not use it when it is much safer. I don't get it.

Interesting. But I get the feeling there's not one dentist in my town who won't give me a weird look if I suggest getting a "dental ultrasound" instead of an x-ray.

Should I just pay for one at an ultrasound clinic? Actually that does seem like something one could do. We'll see.

Last edited:
M

marikay

Ray has also advised having any z-rays done in the afternoon. (I don't remember why.)

Peater Piper

I'm planning on getting a dental x-ray next week. I was concerned about radiation to the thyroid, I didn't know they used belts around the neck. Is that standard practice? Does it completely protect the thyroid?
I've had some dental x-rays done. They always covered both the neck and entire body. I assume it's standard, and I'd speak up if the precautions weren't taken.

Mittir

I was hesitant about the x-ray but I really need to do it. My skull has been looking and feeling messed up for ages (from bad orthodontics) and I need to know exactly what's going on.

Red light is most effective if it is applied within 1 hour of radiation exposure.
I vaguely remember Ray Peat mentioned use of magnesium to protect against radiation.
Radiation causes less damage to people with good thyroid function and metabolism

The first time i saw those belt was about 10 years ago at a dental school,
where i got some work done by a student. I did not see that in another regular dentist i saw
around that time .I am guessing that it is a standard practice now.

Lead belt would block direct radiation to thyroid and thus lowering the total
exposure. But, radiation that is absorbed through gum and face affects the
whole body, it does not stay only in the exposed area.

RP mentioned a study where, pregnant female who had full set of first visit
dental x-rays, which includes panaromic view, had child with low birth weight
even though they wore lead apron covering belly.

I do not know if dentists have started using ultrasound imaging.
But, if people starts asking their dentist for ultrasound that
can make them aware of possible alternative. Dentists are
hesitant to adopt new method, because it requires
learning new ways to read ultrasound image.

If i were you, i would try to avoid CT scan . If possible i would
avoid panaromic view. You can ask your dentist for minimum
amount of x-rays. Compared to chest x-ray and CT scan
dental x-ray radiation exposure is much smaller.
Eat well and get good rest before taking x-rays.

narouz

At one dentist I went to,
when I told the assistant I didn't want any x-rays,
she tried to brush it off by saying:
"Oh, these are just digital x-rays."
I never figured out what she meant by that.

Then, at another dentist,
he maybe explained the above expression
when he told me that the new x-ray machines they had just bought
use vastly less powerful rays than the old ones he used to have.
I'm willing to be him...he seemed like an honest guy and on-the-level,
but still....

schultz

Everyone curious about this topic should listen to all the x-ray podcasts that Ray has done as he answers a lot of questions.

Someone asked in a podcast "If I am going to have to get an x-ray, how can I protect myself, etc."

Ray answered (paraphrased) "First I would strongly encourage you not to get them."

Ray also mentioned that they put the lead aprons and protective junk on you but the x-rays can bounce off your body and hit your brain and stuff. I'm not saying it's true or not, but he did say this.

Listen to the podcasts people!!

Keon

I have a dentist that doesn't do x-rays and he's had to keep a low profile. He also no longer takes new patients because he became so popular by word of mouth. If I recall the story correctly, over 20 years ago he had a dental practice and also volunteered his services at a free clinic. The clinic couldn't afford x-Rays and he noticed the kids at the clinic didn't get cavities but those in his practice did. He made the connection and stopped doing X-rays and now 20 some years later all of his children patients that never had x-rays ever, have zero cavities and many are now in their 20's. He's told me so many other stories that reinforce his conclusion about x-rays causing cavities, especially while children are still growing.

stanats

Check out these three KMUD/Herb Doctors shows ... Plenty of X-Ray infomation in them.
2009 Radiation, X-Rays, You Are What You Eat Aug 2009
2010 Radiation Dec 2010
2012 Ionizing and Non-Ionizing Radiation Nov 2012

And this video on youtube starting at 36 minutes ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals