What's Wrong With Second Generation AntiH Compared To Cypro Etc?

Gametime

Just got my cyproheptadine on prescription here in the Uk.. doing a bit of reading into them the dementia cases have put me off a bit.. and also why are these antiH's so in the shadow compared to most other Antihistamines's? (At least they are in the Uk)?

Also, What is wrong with a second Generation AntiH like ceterizine etc?? Why are these not peaty? I used to take these all the time a few years back and didn't see a problem with them?

HDD

Just got my cyproheptadine on prescription here in the Uk.. doing a bit of reading into them the dementia cases have put me off a bit.. and also why are these antiH's so in the shadow compared to most other Antihistamines's? (At least they are in the Uk)?

Also, What is wrong with a second Generation AntiH like ceterizine etc?? Why are these not peaty? I used to take these all the time a few years back and didn't see a problem with them?

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

OP
G

Gametime

Also, if anyone can chime in on the apparent erectile dysfunction/low test side effects that can happen.. would they be permanent etc?

jyb

DaveFoster

Ah yes, the cholinergic debate. You can read that on this forum people think of anticholinergic as desirable.
@haidut

Dr. Peat has said that anticholinergics have shown promise in treating some forms of dementia, but what do you think of the statistical link between anticholinergic antidepressants and dementia (even for patients who discontinued these up to 20 years prior to a diagnosis?)

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Dr. Peat has said that anticholinergics have shown promise in treating some forms of dementia, but what do you think of the statistical link between anticholinergic antidepressants and dementia (even for patients who discontinued these up to 20 years prior to a diagnosis?)

All of the adamantane derivatives approved for Alzheimer, and especially memantine, are powerful anticholinergics. So, given the direct intervention trials showing benefit of these drugs I would not put much weight on the epidemiological link. Maybe it was only specific drugs with other mechanisms of action causing this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals