What is good acting?

joaquin

I used to love watching movies. Some of my favorites The Shawshank Redemption, Arlington Road and Fight Club.
I am glad that movies have tanked because now I have so much more free time. I was wasting time watching movies.

Having said that, are there any good actors left? It seems as if theatrics and posing have replaced the true skill.

So many comic book movies and CGI.

Does this indicate good acting:

images

JamesGatz

Theres a lot of good actors left broski, they just left the movie industry

Like for example, Joe Biden is a good actor
Trump is a good actor
Alex Jones is a good actor
Neil Armstrong is a good actor
Buzz Aldrin is a good actor
Elon musk is a good actor
Bill Gates is a good actor
Etc.

But yea, personally I think the destruction of the movie industry was purposely done.

If you think about it, all movies in the 90's/2000's liked showing family structure, FUNNY comedy that some people found it to be offensive but at least it was funny

Nowadays they kind of HAD TO destroy the movie indistry to fulfill their agenda - they can't show healthy family structure, they got to have "diversity", they got to have garbage humor so no one is offended, so naturally - once you incorporate these things, the movie can't be made good

The movie industry is used a lot and funded by agencies to shape their agenda and disclose their goals to the public's subconscious

OP
joaquin

joaquin

Theres a lot of good actors left broski, they just left the movie industry

Like for example, Joe Biden is a good actor
Trump is a good actor
Alex Jones is a good actor
Neil Armstrong is a good actor
Buzz Aldrin is a good actor
Elon musk is a good actor
Bill Gates is a good actor
Etc.
GOOD POINT!

Regina

I used to love watching movies. Some of my favorites The Shawshank Redemption, Arlington Road and Fight Club.
I am glad that movies have tanked because now I have so much more free time. I was wasting time watching movies.

Having said that, are there any good actors left? It seems as if theatrics and posing have replaced the true skill.

images
Vera Farmiga was pretty epic in Bates Motel

Tilda Swinton in We Need To Talk About Kevin

Atelier

images

I think good acting depends a lot on good scripts and good direction.
There will always be good actors, but unless they are found and offered good scripts, we'll get the impression that there aren't too many.

OP
joaquin

joaquin

I think good acting depends a lot on good scripts and good direction.
There will always be good actors, but unless they are found and offered good scripts, we'll get the impression that there aren't too many.
True. And movies are now a commodity industry. Companies like Netflix and Gravitas Ventures churn movies out on an assembly line. And the content they produce might as well be written by chatGPT.
Any time I see this at the beginning of a movie I turn it off and look for something else:
1682461486706.png

Lilac

@joaquin

It sounds as if you mostly watched recent movies. If you have never explored silent films, the golden age of Hollywood (1930s and 1940s), or foreign films, you have a lot of options to keep you going for a long time. You could tackle genres--like westerns, film noir, screwball comedies, women's pictures, French New Age, etc. Look up reputable lists and start with the consensus favorites.

Because, yeah, both film making and acting are at a low ebb.

Atelier

images

Some reall
True. And movies are now a commodity industry. Companies like Netflix and Gravitas Ventures churn movies out on an assembly line. And the content they produce might as well be written by chatGPT.
Any time I see this at the beginning of a movie I turn it off and look for something else:
View attachment 49720
Absolutely!
I did notice when I look for an interesting movie on Netflix, that the choice is very limited, often to commercial movies.
Good movies can be featured eventually if they are new, but they don't stay long.
My sister has Apple TV, and I also noticed that when you look at the menu by genre, the choice is so poor.
But when you look for a specific actor or director for instance, and you find a movie trailer, then offers appear underneath where you can find some non commercial interesting movies. But these aren't featured in the menu!! The menu shows mostly the commercial ones :rolleyes:

I too haven't watched too much lately. because of that. I think now in order to find good stuff, people have to search, check out what's playing in specific movie theaters, look for the work of a specific director, actor, etc. Try DVDs by reading the script.
Some that I enjoyed recently and that showed good acting :
- Swallow (really good, the script and the actrice!!)
- Frantz
- All quiet on the western front
- It's only the end of the world

A bit older ones :
- Incendies (french canadian)
- 12 (Mikhalkov russian version of 12 Angry Men) and Mikhalkov movies in general
Other films for sure that I can't think of right now.... I did really like The Shawshank Redemption

purple pill

Bryan Cranston through breaking bad was pretty masterful. I want to say Edward Norton too in fight club but hes been pretty terrible in some other films, may have been the awesome script that helped there as the book was full of great lines and scenes! theres probs tonnes of great actors out there but just havent lowered themselves to suck the right holywood producers dicks to make it big 🤐

OP
joaquin

joaquin

There was a german show on Netflix called Dark. It ran for 3 seasons.. so good that maybe I should not have watched it because now I expect others to put forth an effort.

-Luke-

megaflop.0.gif

Both Sopranos and The Wire had some good and real acting. James Gandolfini was great in Sopranos.

ivy

images
Now, this is the sort of thread I could never see coming!

I had fun watching Everything Everywhere..., and I actually think Jamie Lee Curtis might've earned her Oscar, but it's not a film I'd use as an example of good acting. Same as with the recent Dune, I was overwhelmed and exhausted with visual and sound effects.

The best thing I saw recently, twice on a big screen, is a French film based on a true story. Even if you have no interest in or knowledge of the characters, it's worth watching. There is an attentiveness and energy between these actors which is rare to come across. The trailer is deceptive, but it's the only one I found with English titles:

View: https://youtu.be/hVfJWrB795I

Atelier

Russian films (Mos film)

Yes, there are treasures in russian films!
I don't know about modern ones much, I've seen some occasionally.
But so many movies from the soviet era are great!
And all Mikhalkov movies.

HeyThere

There was a german show on Netflix called Dark. It ran for 3 seasons.. so good that maybe I should not have watched it because now I expect others to put forth an effort.

This is exactly how I felt about Breaking Bad. The acting, the story lines, the incredibly clever and smart writing, everything.

I haven't really watched a TV show in about 6 years (!). I tried the other month to watch shows that were still on my DVR from 6 years ago and YOW were they VAPID. I had a monumental ah-ha moment that I was watching these shows to pass time, to have something to do. Was watching them like "homework" that had to be done.

Haven't enjoyed a movie in about 20 years, other than the occasional re-watch of ones I like. I've tried watching what's "popular right now" and my god, not only are movies on average 30-60 minutes shorter than they used to be in the 70s and 80s and 90s, but there are no more story lines in movies anymore. They take 25+ minutes to just START any possible story. Up to that point it's basically people standing around talking. There's really no buildup to anything. It's time wasting.

A few movies I really liked:
Paper Moon
Breaking Away
Raising Arizona
Bound (watch this one with headphones - the cinematography and audio are part of the whole experience)

And I'm no highbrow person, if the writing is there, I don't mind campy acting with really good writing like Xena and Buffy, 2 of my all time favorite TV Series. Good/funny writing is good writing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals