What Does Cocaine The The Brain That Everybody Is So ******* Addicted?

Untitled.jpeg

T

tca300

Lol ya! I think methamphetamine raises it even higher than cocaine does... yikes!

OP
L

Lucenzo01

The question then is why cocaine increases dopamine so much and how we can reproduce its effects without it.

Blinkyrocket

Anticipation of receiving cocaine produces larger increases in dopamine than actually getting it :confused

bloom

Cocaine is a Dopamine reuptake inhibitor, meaning it increases dopamine levels in the synaptic cleft.

Blinkyrocket

Amineptine could've been great if it wasn't discontinued/banned (?)

Didn't have excitotoxic effects and as far as I know had no dependency, but of course it doesn't matter, if it's "addictive"= banned.

lampofred

Cocaine really isn't addictive at all unless you have deeper issues which you're using it to mask. I've noticed people who are easily addicted to weed are easily addicted to cocaine, but people not addicted to weed can socially use cocaine without risk

Hell even sugar is 10x more addictive than cocaine at least from SWIM. Don't mess with meth though or crack or IV anything

lampofred

What about the additives ?

most cocaine won't be pure

In most cases additives are usually either baking soda or laxatives neither of which are addictive. I am not condoning illegal drug use at all, simply providing info for educational purposes

Blinkyrocket

Eating ever increasingly dense levels of sugar makes me want more and more of that level of density and makes what I was originally eating not taste as sweet, the end result is feeling sick. I've also had an "unexplained" feeling of hopelessness lately as well. Hopefully, I can stop eating that dang frosting tomorrow.

nicotine I consider not addictive in any way shape or form compared to unnecessarily dense and non-nutritious sources of sugar.

Blinkyrocket

I'm pretty sure that much dopamine is toxic by itself.
Actually, I don't think dopamine itself is toxic to dopaminergic neurons, I think it's dopamines metabolite(s) specifically the one generated by the COX-2 enzyme. COX inhibition by NSAIDS can effectively prevent degeneration of dopaminergic neurons.

Constatine

Actually, I don't think dopamine itself is toxic to dopaminergic neurons, I think it's dopamines metabolite(s) specifically the one generated by the COX-2 enzyme. COX inhibition by NSAIDS can effectively prevent degeneration of dopaminergic neurons.
That sounds pretty reasonable. This study suggests that there is a factor aside from dopamine's metabolites that inhibit mitochondria function but I don't know if COX-2 was inhibited in it: Dopamine toxicity involves mitochondrial complex I inhibition: implications to dopamine-related neuropsychiatric disorders - ScienceDirect . Nevertheless take aspirin with your meth :D

TeslaFan

I'm pretty sure that much dopamine is toxic by itself.

Yeah, there are several toxic pathways that L-dopa and dopamine can take. For example, dopamine degradation by MAO-B enzyme creates ROS that directly damages brain cells.
As mentioned, Aspirin is known to protect from dopamine toxicity. I think Vitamin E, too, by reducing iron oxidation.

It would be really cool to map out all the toxic pathways, find the ways to arrest them, and then safely raise dopamine levels in such environment.

Constatine

Yeah, there are several toxic pathways that L-dopa and dopamine can take. For example, dopamine degradation by MAO-B enzyme creates ROS that directly damages brain cells.
As mentioned, Aspirin is known to protect from dopamine toxicity. I think Vitamin E, too, by reducing iron oxidation.

It would be really cool to map out all the toxic pathways, find the ways to arrest them, and then safely raise dopamine levels in such environment.
Basically a healthy crack head :eek:

Blinkyrocket

That sounds pretty reasonable. This study suggests that there is a factor aside from dopamine's metabolites that inhibit mitochondria function but I don't know if COX-2 was inhibited in it: Dopamine toxicity involves mitochondrial complex I inhibition: implications to dopamine-related neuropsychiatric disorders - ScienceDirect . Nevertheless take aspirin with your meth :D
That study says that oxidation was not involved in this toxic effect... Hmmmm. Interesting.

MPP+-induced COX-2 activation and subsequent dopaminergic neurodegeneration
The COX-2 inhibitor parecoxib produces neuroprotective effects in MPTP-lesioned rats - ScienceDirect

Last edited:

Prosper

Anticipation of receiving cocaine produces larger increases in dopamine than actually getting it :confused
Ah, the pre-high. This happened when I was toking frequently. I could be in a bad mood, decide to call my dealer and thenthe anticipation of getting high would instantly make me feel better. Then after actually smoking I would think "meh this is not so awesome". I think large part of any addiction is determined by the mental concept you have of the the addicting activity and ignorance over how the real experience rarely matches this

You may be using a drug and thinking you perceive the experience the same way you did during the first time, but when you focus to the current experience it becomes clear that it remains too far to be even close to the first time.

Frankdee20

Cocaine is a Dopamine reuptake inhibitor, meaning it increases dopamine levels in the synaptic cleft.

It's also a Norepinephrine and Serotonin reuptake inhibitor. The trifecta.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals