What Causes And Cures BPH, Prostate Inflammation

OP
ecstatichamster
I think prolactin. Bromocriptine lowers prolactin.

Error - Cookies Turned Off
Summary— The efficacy and the safety of bromocriptine 7.5 mg daily were investigated in a double‐blind versus placebo trial in 32 patients with troublesome symptoms from benign prostatic hypertrophy. Differences between the treatments in respect of uroflowmetry, residual urine and safety parameters were not statistically significant. Differences in respect of nocturia, daytime frequency and overall efficacy were statistically significant in favour of bromocriptine. There could be a place for bromocriptine in the palliative treatment of the functional disability caused by benign prostatic hypertrophy when surgery is refused or contraindicated.

PATB

I am interested in this. After coming off some garbage "T-booster" supplement I feel as though I got BPH. Stinging nettle (comes in root and leaf form, supposedly the former being better for this) and also simply increasing gelatin/collagen intake appears to help. It's impossible to know, but it's quite an annoying predicament to be in for sure.

OP
ecstatichamster
@haidut told me that prostate inflammation comes from endotoxins. I agree on the whole.

@PATB did stinging nettle actually help BPH?

In the study I cited, bromocriptine didn't shrink the prostate, somehow, but it helped urinary symptoms. Not sure how that works...metergoline would be what I would try as it is less noisy pharmacologically than bromocriptine, having few/no side effects.

PATB

did stinging nettle actually help BPH?
Apparently the root form is supposed to have that effect, but I got the leaf form instead - which helps with allergies (which I also have/had, at least in the environment I was in at the time I purchased it) instead of BPH symptoms. Right now I have a bottle of those pills just sitting there in my bathroom and have just started taking them so I can't say much about it.

Have you tried gelatin/collagen/glycine?

Palliative effect of gelatine in benign prostatic hypertrophy

Translated: "The daily consumption of 25 g of gelatin quickly relieves the urinary symptoms accompanying benign prostatic hypertrophy. Gelatin can be very useful in the treatment of this disorder."

OP
ecstatichamster
Apparently the root form is supposed to have that effect, but I got the leaf form instead - which helps with allergies (which I also have/had, at least in the environment I was in at the time I purchased it) instead of BPH symptoms. Right now I have a bottle of those pills just sitting there in my bathroom and have just started taking them so I can't say much about it.

Have you tried gelatin/collagen/glycine?

Palliative effect of gelatine in benign prostatic hypertrophy

Translated: "The daily consumption of 25 g of gelatin quickly relieves the urinary symptoms accompanying benign prostatic hypertrophy. Gelatin can be very useful in the treatment of this disorder."

I don’t have BPH. I’m wondering about it though.

mrchibbs

I don’t have BPH. I’m wondering about it though.

I've been thinking about ways to help my parents who are in their early 60s with otherwise ok health but various concerns.

My dad, in particular, has started experiencing hair thinning and very frequent urination in the past coming years, which has made me think of BPH.

I've managed to get him to take dissolved aspirin, and added gelatin, but I wonder what else I could get him to focus on.

PATB

I've been thinking about ways to help my parents who are in their early 60s with otherwise ok health but various concerns.

My dad, in particular, has started experiencing hair thinning and very frequent urination in the past coming years, which has made me think of BPH.

I've managed to get him to take dissolved aspirin, and added gelatin, but I wonder what else I could get him to focus on.
Stinging nettle (root, not leaf -- but double check) could be promising. Kegel exercises as well are worth looking into.
Try also searching into "Sitz Baths" (in relation to BPH) which also include Epsom salt, apparently it's a 20 minute or so process.

mrchibbs

Stinging nettle (root, not leaf -- but double check) could be promising. Kegel exercises as well are worth looking into.
Try also searching into "Sitz Baths" (in relation to BPH) which also include Epsom salt, apparently it's a 20 minute or so process.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll convince him of doing these things. I'll start with more general remedies.

mrchibbs

burtlancast

Banned from google:

THERAPHEUTIC EFECT OF IODINE ON BENIGN HUMAN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA

"14 men were randomized to receive iodine (5 mg/day) treatment or placebo for 8 months. The international prostate symptom score (IPSS) and the quality of life index (QOL) were evaluated at the beginning and at the end of the study. Maximal urinary flow rate, serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA), and thyroid status
(TSH, T4, T3) were measured every 2 months. Our result showed that iodine supplementation significantly improved (30 %) the symptoms (IPSS and QOL) of the patients, increased the urinary flow rate by 100%, and reduced PSA levels by 30% at the end of treatment. Iodine treatment had no significant effect on thyroid status or on general health. Comparison with current pharmacological treatments such as antiandrogen or alpha-1 adrenergic antagonists led us to propose iodine supplement as a preferential treatment, because it exhibits similar benefits without the harmful side effects characteristic of the other treatments. Currently, we are analyzing the effects of iodine on prostate volume and amount of residual urine. Further studies are required to analyze the molecular mechanisms involved in these therapeutic iodine effects"

Attachments

• THERAPHEUTIC EFECT OF IODINE ON BENIGN HUMAN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 79

alephx

@burtlancast was about to say the same. I noticed after iodine I can just go to the bathroom and pee instantly without wait. My dad think might have had BPH but it went away with iodine.

Btw what do you mean banned from google?

burtlancast

@burtlancast was about to say the same. I noticed after iodine I can just go to the bathroom and pee instantly without wait. My dad think might have had BPH but it went away with iodine.

Btw what do you mean banned from google?

It was a half joke in the sense i had to dig to find the abstract which cannot be found directly through google.

The research was financed in Mexico and the results were unpublished but presented at a Congress: since it involves iodine, it's hugely disruptive and censored.

OP
ecstatichamster
Oh that's interesting. Do you have references I could read on this topic?

Metergoline should do the Job better with few side effects.

Error - Cookies Turned Off
The efficacy and the safety of bromocriptine 7.5 mg daily were investigated in a double‐blind versus placebo trial in 32 patients with troublesome symptoms from benign prostatic hypertrophy. Differences between the treatments in respect of uroflowmetry, residual urine and safety parameters were not statistically significant. Differences in respect of nocturia, daytime frequency and overall efficacy were statistically significant in favour of bromocriptine. There could be a place for bromocriptine in the palliative treatment of the functional disability caused by benign prostatic hypertrophy when surgery is refused or contraindicated.

M

metabolizm

I think it's often related to varicocele. Probably varicocele can cause it. Source.

Constipation aggravates at, and sometimes sexual activity can do the same. (Purely anecdotal).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ecstatichamster
This is a small but very, very useful study. Men given testosterone supplementation developed larger prostates, but those with an aromatase inhibitor experienced NO growth in their prostates.

This shows I think that estrogen is responsible for inflammation of the prostate.

I had mistakenly read this (ambiguous really) first to show that they had a study group of T+AI but that is not true. Only one group with T, another AI, and another placebo.

Estradiol aromatization mediates testosterone effects on prostate

Aromatization to estradiol mediates the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate, according to study findings published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Shehzad Basaria, MD, associate professor at Harvard Medical School, and colleagues evaluated 31 men aged at least 65 years with total testosterone less than 350 ng/dL to determine the effects of testosterone and estradiol on prostate volume. Participants were randomly assigned to 5 g transdermal testosterone gel (n = 11), 1 mg oral aromatase inhibitor (n = 11) or placebo (n = 9) daily for 12 months.

From baseline, total testosterone levels significantly increased into the target range (500-1,000 ng/dL) in both treatment groups. No change was found in serum testosterone level at 12 months in the placebo group; an increase from baseline was observed in both treatment groups. The testosterone group had increased serum total estradiol from baseline while the aromatase inhibitor group experienced a decrease.

Compared with baseline, prostate volume significantly increased at 12 months in the testosterone gel group (P = .03) but did not change significantly in the other two groups.

At 6 months, serum prostate-specific antigen levels increased in the testosterone gel group (P = .02) and the aromatase inhibitor group (P = .0006) compared with baseline; these levels decreased and remained slightly above baseline levels at 12 months.

“This proof-of-concept study demonstrated that the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate are mediated via its aromatization to estradiol. ... As the use of [aromatase inhibitors] might impact bone mass negatively, the safety parameters of such a trial should include evaluation of bone mineral density and assessment of fracture risk,” the researchers wrote. “Without ensuring safety of the male skeleton, the clinical use of [aromatase inhibitors] cannot be advocated even in the absence of any harm to the prostate.” – by Amber Cox

Disclosure: Basaria reports receiving research grants from AbbVie and consulting fees from Eli Lilly and Takeda. No other researchers report relevant financial disclosures.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

This is a small but very, very useful study. Men given testosterone supplementation developed larger prostates, but those with T + an aromatase inhibitor had SMALLER prostates.

This shows I think that estrogen is responsible for inflammation of the prostate.

Estradiol aromatization mediates testosterone effects on prostate

Aromatization to estradiol mediates the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate, according to study findings published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Shehzad Basaria, MD, associate professor at Harvard Medical School, and colleagues evaluated 31 men aged at least 65 years with total testosterone less than 350 ng/dL to determine the effects of testosterone and estradiol on prostate volume. Participants were randomly assigned to 5 g transdermal testosterone gel (n = 11), 1 mg oral aromatase inhibitor (n = 11) or placebo (n = 9) daily for 12 months.

From baseline, total testosterone levels significantly increased into the target range (500-1,000 ng/dL) in both treatment groups. No change was found in serum testosterone level at 12 months in the placebo group; an increase from baseline was observed in both treatment groups. The testosterone group had increased serum total estradiol from baseline while the aromatase inhibitor group experienced a decrease.

Compared with baseline, prostate volume significantly increased at 12 months in the testosterone gel group (P = .03) but did not change significantly in the other two groups.

At 6 months, serum prostate-specific antigen levels increased in the testosterone gel group (P = .02) and the aromatase inhibitor group (P = .0006) compared with baseline; these levels decreased and remained slightly above baseline levels at 12 months.

“This proof-of-concept study demonstrated that the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate are mediated via its aromatization to estradiol. ... As the use of [aromatase inhibitors] might impact bone mass negatively, the safety parameters of such a trial should include evaluation of bone mineral density and assessment of fracture risk,” the researchers wrote. “Without ensuring safety of the male skeleton, the clinical use of [aromatase inhibitors] cannot be advocated even in the absence of any harm to the prostate.” – by Amber Cox

Disclosure: Basaria reports receiving research grants from AbbVie and consulting fees from Eli Lilly and Takeda. No other researchers report relevant financial disclosures.

I suppose then that topical Progesterone+DHEA in a higher ratio would be the ideal supplement to balance this out.

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

Excess estrogen causes prostate inflammation: now there is a conclusion that would not surprise me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals