What Causes And Cures BPH, Prostate Inflammation

koky

thanks - how many drops?
for how long have you been doing this?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Someone here asked Peat about suppository progesterone for prostate and I think he was ok with it.

PATB

Thanks, but I don't think I'll convince him of doing these things. I'll start with more general remedies.
Stinging nettle is very common you can go to the grocery store and just buy it off the shelf. If you go and find specific supplements for BPH you will find they typically have 3 things in them:
- stinging nettle (have not heard RP say anything bad about it)
- saw palmetto (apparently estrogenic and not peaty)
- pygeum (also apparently not peaty)

PATB

Indeed, but I am not sure if the growth is permanent or reversible. It happened to me as a result of taking some sort of pro-hormone and getting off of it. It also greatly exacerbated my male-pattern baldness, which I don't see as very reversible either. All of this happened after cessation and it was very fast, along with high estrogen symptoms. Even a year later I have high E and low T.
Aromatase inhibitor may be a good avenue to go down. I have heard good things about exemestane.

This is a small but very, very useful study. Men given testosterone supplementation developed larger prostates, but those with an aromatase inhibitor experienced NO growth in their prostates.

This shows I think that estrogen is responsible for inflammation of the prostate.

I had mistakenly read this (ambiguous really) first to show that they had a study group of T+AI but that is not true. Only one group with T, another AI, and another placebo.

Estradiol aromatization mediates testosterone effects on prostate

Aromatization to estradiol mediates the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate, according to study findings published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Shehzad Basaria, MD, associate professor at Harvard Medical School, and colleagues evaluated 31 men aged at least 65 years with total testosterone less than 350 ng/dL to determine the effects of testosterone and estradiol on prostate volume. Participants were randomly assigned to 5 g transdermal testosterone gel (n = 11), 1 mg oral aromatase inhibitor (n = 11) or placebo (n = 9) daily for 12 months.

From baseline, total testosterone levels significantly increased into the target range (500-1,000 ng/dL) in both treatment groups. No change was found in serum testosterone level at 12 months in the placebo group; an increase from baseline was observed in both treatment groups. The testosterone group had increased serum total estradiol from baseline while the aromatase inhibitor group experienced a decrease.

Compared with baseline, prostate volume significantly increased at 12 months in the testosterone gel group (P = .03) but did not change significantly in the other two groups.

At 6 months, serum prostate-specific antigen levels increased in the testosterone gel group (P = .02) and the aromatase inhibitor group (P = .0006) compared with baseline; these levels decreased and remained slightly above baseline levels at 12 months.

“This proof-of-concept study demonstrated that the tropic effects of testosterone on the prostate are mediated via its aromatization to estradiol. ... As the use of [aromatase inhibitors] might impact bone mass negatively, the safety parameters of such a trial should include evaluation of bone mineral density and assessment of fracture risk,” the researchers wrote. “Without ensuring safety of the male skeleton, the clinical use of [aromatase inhibitors] cannot be advocated even in the absence of any harm to the prostate.” – by Amber Cox

Disclosure: Basaria reports receiving research grants from AbbVie and consulting fees from Eli Lilly and Takeda. No other researchers report relevant financial disclosures.

mrchibbs

Stinging nettle is very common you can go to the grocery store and just buy it off the shelf. If you go and find specific supplements for BPH you will find they typically have 3 things in them:
- stinging nettle (have not heard RP say anything bad about it)
- saw palmetto (apparently estrogenic and not peaty)
- pygeum (also apparently not peaty)

I know about them. I don't think inhibiting 5-ar is the way to go, but thanks!

OP
ecstatichamster
Someone here asked Peat about suppository progesterone for prostate and I think he was ok with it.

this might help men with BPH. I suppose an enema with a bit of Progest-E would work...it gets it right next to the prostate.

mrchibbs

this might help men with BPH. I suppose an enema with a bit of Progest-E would work...it gets it right next to the prostate.

Not sure it would be really practical though...enemas require liquid formulation, and progest-e is a bit too thick and sticky to be useable I think.

That being said I've seen some pics of transgender women (MTF) on reddit, and it seems like everytime the transition is seemingly really successful, rectal progesterone is used (along with E2, and other anti-androgens as usual)

OP
ecstatichamster
Not sure it would be really practical though...enemas require liquid formulation, and progest-e is a bit too thick and sticky to be useable I think.

That being said I've seen some pics of transgender women (MTF) on reddit, and it seems like everytime the transition is seemingly really successful, rectal progesterone is used (along with E2, and other anti-androgens as usual)

interesting. I doubt it would be difficult to get Progest-E there through the rectum.

Jing

Metergoline helps urination a lot with few or no side effects.
I have problems with urination but both times I have had my prostate checked it's be fine I wonder if metergoline would help me , what other effects do you notice with metergoline?

OP
ecstatichamster
I have problems with urination but both times I have had my prostate checked it's be fine I wonder if metergoline would help me , what other effects do you notice with metergoline?

it increases libido, lowers refractory time, is relaxing.

OP
ecstatichamster
What time of the day is best to take it? Also is it safe to take everyday? I have read the thread about it but would like to hear from your experience.

I think it's safe to take small amounts every day. I've used it for about 6 months every day.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes, but the absorption is very low so very large amounts would have to be used. It will most likely be best just to take progesterone dissolved in vit E for maximal oral absorption.

mrchibbs

Yes, but the absorption is very low so very large amounts would have to be used. It will most likely be best just to take progesterone dissolved in vit E for maximal oral absorption.

Never done enemas myself, but I think the original coffee enema by Max Gerson is probably the gold standard.