Vitamin B1 + Early Stage Kidney Disease

yerrag

Biopsies can be very useful for getting to the root cause. There are over ten types of glomerulonephritis, and the only way to know for certain is to biopsy.
Some glomerulonephritis have good treatment options.
I personally haven't experienced a biopsy, and I wish I would know of a few people who have undergone biopsy of the kidneys and tell me that the biopsy they underwent was worth the trouble. And the only way it's worth the trouble is that knowing the type of glomerulonephritis made a difference in the treatment, and that the treatment at best put them on a path of improving their kidney function or at worst kept the kidneys from deteriorating.

But as "evidence-based" medicine is fond of saying, there is no double-blind RCT study to prove this, even if you had a few people saying it helped them. Chances are I doubt there would be survivors vouching for biopsy, except if those vouching would say the biopsy helped out of their deference to the 'expertise' of their doctor, with little else to back up their claim.

Just because the review authors compiled some references of 'experts' claiming that biopsy helps, and I should take their word because they're the experts? Besides, who's really going to verify if the people interpreting the biopsy really know what they're interpreting? Can they tell an immune complex apart from a peptide from a plaque? Can they really identify the so-called lesions in the fenestrated capillaries in the glomerulus? I doubt they will go to the level of detail that's needed to be very certain of their findings. Who's auditing them anyway? No one.

It's like reading the war criminal John Bolton write a book, and then saying since you can reference a book, you can lay claim to its veracity.

I'd rather be conservative in my approach and not hurt my already ailing kidneys by having it cut up for a biopsy. There's a reason why the kidneys are enclosed and protected by skin, mesentery, and a rib cage. Otherwise, it would be be flapping around like our ear lobe.

I can stick with less invasive ways of diagnosing my kidney problems, and then slowly eliminate the kind of glomerulonephritis it has, not that it's that difficult to pinpoint if I'm really the expert that I claim to be.

Last edited:

yerrag

I'll definitely keep this option on the list of things to try. When I have my next actual appointment with my doctor I'll have a deeper conversation with her about Losartan and the possible pros/cons.
I hope it can be productive, as you have to give your doctor the chance to stand up to your earnest questioning. It helps if she has a long line of patients in the clinic, and that time allocated to each patient is 15 minutes.

I am not convinced of the argument that how Losartan works is that it will lower the eGFR in order to lower the loss of albumin in urine.

That assumes two things : there is a lesion that leaks protein in your glomerular capillaries. And that the lower the blood pressure, the less the leakage. But is there a lesion? Granted there is a lesion, would taking Losartan help when you don't have high blood pressure? You'll have to ask how Losartan can still be protective when it's there for no reason at all.

See if she will prescribe a regular monthly 24 hr urine test if I do decide to drop the Losartan.
That's a good step. You can also take this opportunity to find out your creatinine clearance, which you can compare with your eGFR to see how well they line up. Usually, the creatinine clearance overestimates the GFR by about 20-25%. Your 24 hr urine volume also gets to be more than usual, so it gives you an idea of your kidney health also (unless the problem is oliguria, which isn't your case). I used to urinate 3600 cc in a day. Now it's back below 2000 cc.

Also, you can get your ACR this way as well, which is more accurate that the random urine ACR.

@kay_rae wow, that really impressive! I just had a look at the docs, and for a newbie building an iOS app is no easy task, as well as configuring everything.
Impressive. So you are a software developer/coder in the medical field?

Yeah, that seems about right. A high eGFR will mean that the kidneys take longer to degenerate. But once there is proteinuria, the high eGRF will precipitate a kidney failure.

It really is a balancing act.
I am skeptical on this line of reasoning. This seems like taken off the page that says higher blood pressure will cause blood vessels to explode, like as if our blood vessels are so brittle and can't take a doubling of blood pressure. But this hasn't been proven ever. People accept just because it seems logical, and people won't doubt it because experts say so, and it's better to be safe than sorry. But the same experts won't tell us that taking statins will be more likely to cause aneurysms, because statins inhibits CoQ10 production that protects our blood vessels.

Are for short term vs long term, your proteinuria has not increases over 4 years, which is very good news. In that timespan some people loose their kidneys completely.

You could consider stopping the losartan, but then it would be important to very regularly measure 24h urine protein. If it stays stable, then your in luck and your body seems to be able to halt the degenerative process.

But if the proteinuria shows a trend towards increasing, then you know that the losartan was helping.

The stopping + regular measuring could be a very interesting therapeutic probe and would help to target treatment.

I'm not seeing the proteinuria staying at those high levels to be such a good thing. Like I said, I don't believe it's because of Losartan lowering the eGFR that should be taking the credit for albuminuria not getting worse from its high levels.

That said, it's a good idea to monitor her albuminuria to see if it should get worse when Losartan intake is stopped. A 24hr urine test is helpful, but for monitoring a random ACR would be more practical.

Also, bully your doctor if necessary to get regular 24 hour urine protein test. This will directly indicate how the kidney is doing
Good idea!
@yerrag ARB work by preferentially dilating the efferent glomerular arteriole, lowering the intraglomerular pressure and slowing the filtration of protein and the damage to the nephron.

It is true that albuminuria can be caused by oxidized albumin, but the pathogenic mechanism remains the same. Damage to the nephron and maladaptive increases in GFR that lead to a vicious cycle. This cycle can be slowed with ARB or ACE inhibitors.
The pathogenic mechanism is not the same. First, a good kidney can be classified as having problems, which in this case glomerular lessions could be suspected. But oxidized albumin means there is inflammation going, and the cause of which could be auto-immunity, or it could be pathogenic, or even both occurring simultaneously. This would require albumin to act as an anti-oxidant, together with uric acid, to help tamp the oxidative stresses of inflammation.

Kay_Rae, do you have serum uric acid info also? And if you could, check also your urine uric acid levels. Chances are, if your kidney/body needs uric acid, your body will retain it and your urine uric acid will be lower than normal.

yerrag

Thanks S-VV. Definitely more things to consider before making any decisions. I'm trying to find more records pre-2016 just to see what numbers were like prior. I do not like that it initially harms and then is suppose to protect the kidneys, and certainly wish this is something doctors would talk to you about when going on a medication. I am feeling a little desperate to improve my kidney function and am nervous about harming them any further. Do we have any better concept of what short-term vs. long-term means in this case? It has been over 4 years of this medication and I haven't seen improvement anywhere. I'm also taking into consideration that I didn't do any changes (diet, supplement, lifestyle) prior to 8 months ago that would additionally support my kidneys, other than gaining much better diabetes control. Am I likely to see even more decrease in eGFR from it? Does the dose jump from 5, 10 and then 25 play a major role in either how much it harmed eGFR to how much it is doing to protect the kidneys? Do I consider stopping or adjusting this medication since my urine microalbumin has no decreased at all since starting, or is that simply a matter of continuing the medication while simultaneously doing other things to reduce the microalbumin.

I'm thinking my plan for now should be to finish out the Vitamin B1 for another 2-3 months to see if that has any impact. Then consider some of the other methods people have shared with me on here.

And thanks Verrag. It looks like I do have some CBC measures from Feb 2017, but no other records. At least we'll have something to compare to in August.
View attachment 18749

• Feb 2016: Albumin - 3.6 | Creatinine - 0.83
  • Apr 2016: Albumin - 3.8 | Creatinine - 0.88
  • Feb 2017: Albumin - 4.1 | Creatinine - 1.04
  • Nov 2017: Albumin - 3.8 | Creatinine - 1.02
  • Aug 2019: Albumin - 3.7 | Creatinine - 1.16
  • Dec 2019: Albumin - 3.8 | Creatinine - 1.3
  • Feb 2020: Albumin - 3.7 | Creatinine - 1.07
  • Jun 2020: Albumin - 3.8 | Creatinine - 1.11
I'm glad you're able to get these information.

Your RDW (cv) at 12.7 (optimal <13) seems to indicate your capillaries are in good shape, that it isn't lined with plaque and that your blood is able to get through to your organs, including the kidneys.

And RBC 4.09 (optimal 3.9-4.5), Hgb 11.3 (135 - 14.5), Hct (35.3) seems to indicate that you have normal blood volume.

The above results indicate may explain why you do not suffer from high blood pressure.

And your serum albumin levels, currently at 3.8, does not have to be adjusted for low blood volume. So it's good to know that you're able to keep your albumin levels at around that level for 4 years (range 3.6 - 4.1). Still, your serum albumin is below range (optimal 4.0-5.0).

WBC at 8.1 (optimal 5.0-7.5) is above range. So you have a high level of low-grade infection, which in medical circles they would call colonization. When it is called colonization, medical circles don't pay attention because fevers don't accompany it. That is how modern medicine is - reactive than proactive. Interventionist than preventive.

As at the wbc distribution:

Neutrophils (absolute) - 4.1 (optimal 2.0-4.5)
Lymph (absolute) - 3.3 (optimal 1.2 - 3.3)
Monocytes (absolute) - 0.4 (optimal <0.5)
Eosinophils (absolute) - 0.2 (optimal < 0.22)
Basophils (absolute)- 0.1 (optimal < 0.075)

It's hard to say what's really causing wbc to go high. Good chance that there's a high viral load, as seen in the lymphocyte count being on the high border of range. But there's also high bacterial load, as indicated by the neutrophils being also on the high side of range.

I'm not very sure, but high wbc, high neutrophils, and high lymphocytes, fall under the term " childhood diseases," as per Dr. Weatherby, a functional medicine doctor. By that, it means it's associated with chickenpox, measles, mumps, and rubella. Beyond that, I don't have a clue. My guess is that these are associated with vaccination, and that this may have to do with a tendency to activate antibodies. These antibodies could easily form immune complexes, which can by themselves become antigens in themselves. So they would create inflammatory conditions, which could lead to oxidative stresses. And it's possible that these oxidative stresses requires the use of anti-oxidants such as albumin, uric acid, and glutathione. If albumin is being oxidized at a good rate, that may explain why albumin passes through your kidneys easily. And it's possible that you may be using glutathione at a great rate also, which could explain your need for thyroid, as glutathione is needed in good supply for thyroid to be produced.

Before I forget, we should take note that your hemoglobin and hematocrit is below range, so it is possible that my basis for saying that you have normal blood volume could be wrong. So, it may be that you have to seek a better test to verify your blood volume.

I see also from an earlier reply on your serum tests, that your albumin/globulin at 1.3 (optimal 1.5- 2) is low, and already your albumin is low, which means your globulin is even lower, and yes it is. Your globulin at 2.3 (optimal 2.4-2.8) is low. Your total serum protein is also low at 6.7 (optimal 6.9 - 7.4).

Since your liver panel seems fine, it may be that you have digestive dysfunctions (Digestion and the Blood Chemistry Screen, By Dicken Weatherby – Kalish Institute). Does the following apply to you:

1. Poor food choices (Standard American Diet)
  2. Excess carbohydrate consumption (depletes critical co-factors)
  3. Insufficient protein stimulation (veganism, low protein diets)
  4. Sympathetic dominance/stress (inhibits the parasympathetic control of digestive secretions)
  5. Zinc and thiamine deficiencies (essential to the production of HCL)
  6. Antacid use (temporary symptom relief/worsens problem)
  7. Alcohol and NSAID use (lead to gastric atrophy)
Or maybe your thyroid condition isn't as good, so it could also affect your production of gastric juice, which would lead to poor assimilation of nutrients.

Looking at your diet, potassium is adequate with many fruits and vegetables (glad you are eating plenty fruits despite your type 1 diabetes, and this is where your device is helping you). You got enough vitamin C thru fruits. And I assume that you have enough salt if you're salting to taste.

But I have question marks on these:

Electrolytes - magnesium (no cooked greens, no milk), same with calcium (greens and milk and cheese)
Fat soluble vitamins - vit A, D, K (no egg yolk, no milk, no organ meats, crustaceans), vitamin E (hope you're avoiding PUFAs for cooking oils, and avoiding restaurants. If not , need to supplement)
Water soluble vitamins - vitamin C ok, vitamin b's - a little more complicated, but better to take some b-complexes.
Copper, zinc, manganese - from crustaceans, but perhaps a smattering of other plant sources such as ginger (zinc, manganese, copper, selenium)

And lastly, glycine is lacking. With sugar, glycine is very much needed by the liver for detox. Eating more internal organs, which are tougher, gives you plenty of glycine. I eat beef tendons, but you can also get glycine from animal akin, as well as beef broth from beef marrows. If you don't have time, getting Great Lakes gelatin would help.

The long and short of it, your nutritional lifestyle is not diverse enough to provide you with all the nutrients your body needs. It is hard to live that lifestyle in a typical US settings, especially in a large city, so supplementation would be needed.

Sorry for cramming everything into one post, but I'm afraid I would forget something.

yerrag

Kay_Rae, on the relationship of diabetes and kidneys problems, that is something that I feel is important to understand. If you know the relationship, do you mind giving me a 101 on it? I feel I'm missing something not knowing how diabetes (type 1 especially) impacts the kidneys.

yerrag

Since your liver panel seems fine, it may be that you have digestive dysfunctions (Digestion and the Blood Chemistry Screen, By Dicken Weatherby – Kalish Institute). Does the following apply to you:

1. Poor food choices (Standard American Diet)
  2. Excess carbohydrate consumption (depletes critical co-factors)
  3. Insufficient protein stimulation (veganism, low protein diets)
  4. Sympathetic dominance/stress (inhibits the parasympathetic control of digestive secretions)
  5. Zinc and thiamine deficiencies (essential to the production of HCL)
  6. Antacid use (temporary symptom relief/worsens problem)
  7. Alcohol and NSAID use (lead to gastric atrophy)
If it's not digestive dysfunction, it could be anemia due to iron deficiency since your RBC, Hgb, Hct, MCV, MCH, MCHC, and globulin - are low.

To be sure, you need an iron panel (serum iron, ferritin, TIBC, and transferrin). Have you had an iron panel test done?

yerrag

@kay_rae I'm thinking that with your high rate of albumin loss, it's not likely that you have normal blood volume.

I try to use the markers RBC, Hgb, and Hct, to determine whether your blood volume is normal. And by the numbers, it seems so.

But as based on my preceding post, it may be that your RBC, Hgb, and Hct are way low enough that a low blood volume would have the effect of increasing the concentration of these markers, making the numbers higher. And it gives the illusion, as I use those values to determine if you have normal blood volume, that you have normal blood volume.

I'm going to assume now that you have low blood volume, and I'm saying that it's caused by low albumin stores in your blood. It's low because you have lost plenty of albumin through high albumin urine excretion for at least 4 years. I'm also going to say that your serum creatinine from 0.83 to 1.11 over the past 4 years because your blood volume became lower.

I'm also going to say that your blood pressure did not go up, as it should if your blood volume went down, because your body is lacking the ability to increase blood pressure because your blood is showing that you have iron deficiency anemia.

Regardless, we have to know why your albumin urine secretion is high. And the way to start is to test inflammation markers. I don't have a complete list, but haidut has a list which I didn't save. But I would test for LDH, ESR, and hsCRP to start with. Because if albumin is being oxidized at a high rate, and assuming that there is no glomerular lesion in the kidneys causing the albumin leakage, we would be able to detect inflammation from these markers. When you can ascertain there is inflammation, and the degree of it, in your body, you can then start to pinpoint where it is. It pay point to the kidneys, but it could be something else.

I would also want to take vitamin C, vitamin E, and glutathione (or its precursor glycine and selenium) to increase anti-oxidants so that albumin can be conserved, to see if that would lessen the need for the body to use albumin as an antioxidant. I would know if these work in my case, as I could see my serum uric acid levels go down when I take my required dose of vitamin C daily. To determine what your daily dose is, search Google for "vitamin c flush."

yerrag

I see also from an earlier reply on your serum tests, that your albumin/globulin at 1.3 (optimal 1.5- 2) is low, and already your albumin is low, which means your globulin is even lower, and yes it is.
I'm rereading what I wrote, and I'm not making sense here. Should be:

I see from your blood tests that your albumin/globulin at 1.3 (optimal 1.5 -2) is low.

"which means your globulin is even lower, and yes it is" deleted

yerrag

And the way to start is to test inflammation markers. I don't have a complete list, but haidut has a list which I didn't save.
These are the inflammation marker haidut mentioned: ESR, CRP, TNFa, NF-kB, WBC, LDH, IL-1, IL-6, IL-8

Elie

Forum Supporter
First time post, so bear with me. A friend of mine introduced me to this forum and have used it to do some research. Have found the community super helpful.

Looking for thoughts, advice, ideas and feedback.

Situation Summary:
I've lived with Type 1 diabetes for nearly 24 years, diagnosed at the age of 7. While the first 15 or so years resulted in poor control (higher A1cs), I am happy to report the last 5+ years have improved greatly, with my best control ever over the last year with A1Cs down to 6.5%. Working to bring to 6%, but feeling confident that it won't be a problem.

Fast forward to Fall 2019, my friend (who is way better at identifying health concerns based on lab results and other symptoms), noticed that my eGFR (measuring overall kidney function) was lower than it should be (around the 60-70 range). Diabetes is known to have complications such as kidney disease and certainly think this has played a role, but I also contribute my decline in kidney function to other factors such as intense work stress, high EMF environment and diet. I started taking some measures (see timeline below), but became really concerned in November 2019 and made greater changes when my eGFR dropped low enough to officially be classified as early-stage chronic kidney disease. The last 8 months has consisted of changes and experimentation to see what can help bring my eGFR back to the 90+ range. I've had some success, but still have a ways to go.

Question:
Has anyone heard about success with reversing kidney disease with high doses of thiamine - Vitamin B1? I found these studies (listed below) and decided to give it a try.

I am relatively new to the supplement world and extremely new to researching and trying these things on my own. After doing some additional research on B1 I determined there wasn't too much risk involved, which is why I tried it. I'm only one-month in, so look forward to seeing my lab results over the next 2-3 months.

I am also open to other ideas on improving eGFR and kidney function. Please ask any clarifying questions you have as well, I know there is a lot more to this than what I have shared. Happy to share more. Some items I've heard about, but have not done enough research on or tried include:
Feel free to give feedback/advice on these items as well.

Thanks everyone for your help! Hope to share some success stories down the road.

Kidney Health Timeline: (Approximate)

• February 2016:
    • eGFR = 97
  • April 2016:
    • eGFR = 90
  • April 2017:
    • No lab results recorded of eGFR
    • Started using medical device that gave me better blood glucose control, but later found to omit high EMF and was next to my waist section (near kidneys) 24/7
  • November 2017:
    • eGFR = 75
    • Doctor prescribed 10mg of Lisinopril daily to protect kidneys
  • July 2018:
    • Medication switch due to reactions to Lisinopril: Doctor prescribed 25mg of Losartan Potassium daily to protect kidneys
  • August 2019:
    • eGFR = 63
    • First changes to attempt to increase GFR:
      • Minor diet changes (less dairy / red meat)
      • Taurine: 1000 mg orally 1x per day
  • November /December 2019:
    • Major emotional stress
  • December 2019:
    • eGFR = 55 (official Early-Stage CKD)
    • Increase Taurine: 1000 mg orally 2x per day
    • Additional diet changes following kidney-friendly diet recommendations, daily cranberry juice
  • February 2020:
    • eGFR = 69 & 67
  • March/April 2020:
    • Increased emotional & physical stress
  • May 2020:
    • eGFR = 55 (contributing factors of high stress in March & April)
    • Add consistent daily hikes/walks 2x per day (1-1.5 hrs each, mild incline)
    • Increase water intake to 3+ Liters per day (untracked before, but likely less than 2 Liters per day)
    • Add quarterly visits to alternative-medicine chiropractor treatments to increase blood flow to body, focus on Kidney - start daily stretches/exercises to increase blood flow to kidneys
Goal: eGFR =90+
Current Diet:
  • Frequently Eat (5-7 days per week)
    • 4oz. organic chicken breast, baked
    • Cauliflower rice
    • Fresh fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pears)
    • Fresh Vegetables (cabbage, shallots, brussel sprouts)
    • Salad
  • Moderately Eat (3-4 days per week)
    • Fresh Vegetables (red peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots)
    • Egg whites
  • Occasionally Eat (1-2 days per week)
    • Polish Sausage
    • Olive Oil Potato Chips
    • Coconut Cookie Thins
    • Gluten Free Bread
  • Rarely Eat (Less than 5 times per month)
    • Red Meat (burgers, steak, beef)
    • Eggs w/ yolk
    • Cheese / dairy
    • Chipotle Burrito Bowl (chicken)

Have recommended thiamin 100 mg x 3 per day and 1/2 tsp baking soda in water once a day over past 2 years or so to a few people with falling eGFR and have seen incremental rise in eGFR. fluctuates a bit more with one person who with poorly managed heart disease and diabetes due to poor food choices.

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Have recommended thiamin 100 mg x 3 per day and 1/2 tsp baking soda in water once a day over past 2 years or so to a few people with falling eGFR and have seen incremental rise in eGFR. fluctuates a bit more with one person who with poorly managed heart disease and diabetes due to poor food choices.

Thanks for this! I am currently taking (1) 500mg tablet per day and not taking baking soda. Is there a significance to one way or the other? What does the baking soda do to support the supplements? With diabetes under good control and no other major conditions, I am hoping to see improvement over the next few months. May I ask how much of an improvement you have seen with most? Have you seen anyone from from the 60 range back up above 90?

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Kay_Rae, on the relationship of diabetes and kidneys problems, that is something that I feel is important to understand. If you know the relationship, do you mind giving me a 101 on it? I feel I'm missing something not knowing how diabetes (type 1 especially) impacts the kidneys.

I honestly don't consider myself an expert as to why it happens, but for what I do know is that diabetes is rarely ever the thing to kill you, but rather the complications of it. (Heart disease, amputations, infections, illness, etc.) It's likely that (uncontrolled) diabetes may lead to kidney disease due to damage to blood flow to the kidneys. I found this article with a brief description, but honestly don't know the ins and outs of it. It is certainly on my list of things to do.

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

@S-VV @yerrag

My doctor approved the CBC and Ca/P test to be added to my next blood test on Aug 3, in addition to diabetes panel, BMP and 24 hr urine already scheduled. She also re-prescribed my monthly lab draws so I can keep an eye on things. Once I get those results I will post here for more current data to look at. I will also try to add the Iron panel during my next round of labs or between them.

My plan for the next 2-3 months is to:
  • Continue all medications and supplements as listed in original post to test the effects of the B1 Thiamine supplement.
  • Continue to evaluate and adjust diet based on suggestions in this thread and lab results in August
  • Continue Infrared Sauna (2 times per month)
  • Continue quarterly stretch/chiropractic treatments
  • Continue daily stretches to improve blood flow to kidney / entire body
  • Continue 3-4 hours of walks/hikes per day (split in morning and evening times)
  • Continue 3-4 L of water daily
  • Maintain or improve diabetes control (A1C 6.5% or less)
  • Start yoga (1x per week)
Any insight on the BioPhotonic treatment I mentioned earlier? Good, bad, neutral, unknown?

I can't thank you all enough for the information and insight you (and others) have provided here. At times it has been a bit overwhelming, but in the end I feel empowered to know more and do more to beat this. I will continue to read and re-read the information you post until I get a better understanding of it all. I'm making a list of all of the suggestions and things to look in to. Stay tuned...

yerrag

I honestly don't consider myself an expert as to why it happens, but for what I do know is that diabetes is rarely ever the thing to kill you, but rather the complications of it. (Heart disease, amputations, infections, illness, etc.) It's likely that (uncontrolled) diabetes may lead to kidney disease due to damage to blood flow to the kidneys. I found this article with a brief description, but honestly don't know the ins and outs of it. It is certainly on my list of things to do.
Thanks. Since I haven't had diabetes type I and haven't had the motivation to try to find a way to overcome it or cure it, I had to ask why diabetes would be a cause of diabetes. If I were to take a guess, I'd say that it comes down to having a deficit of energy. This is consistent with the the metabolic theory of disease, which is very much the heart of this forum, in my opinion, but often overlooked by many members here, as they deal with their health problems. There is the tendency to be very big pharma about it. as that has been the programming of civilized culture- as the more civilized, the more intricate and orchestrated the deception. It makes no difference whether it's a prescription drug, or a natural substance, be it isolated, synthetic, or whole in herb form, we're still looking for a magic bullet to fix the problem for us. In your original post, it was about thiamine, for example.

With a lack of energy, especially when it's continual, the cells lack the energy to do what they're supposed to be doing. In the case of the glomerulus - they're not able to do the job of filtering effectively. The doctors would consider lesions in the glomerular capillaries to be the cause, because they do not understand the idea of barriers that aren't in the classical physical sense, ergo a hole exists for the albumin to pass through. If you think of the barrier as a force field, then you may be more amenable to the idea that the filter barrier not doing its job is the lack of energy. There's no force field, but there's the structure enabled by energy in the cell that keeps albumin from passing through the endothelial cells of the glomerulus. This idea stems from Gilbert Ling's ideas. He has these great ideas, but they're rejected by the medical establishment, which has refused to consider him for a Nobel Prize. Yet they benefit from the application of his ideas, in the form of the MRI. But a rejection of good ideas is pervasive in medicine, and this would explain everything medicine does these days is basically palliative, but stretched out over longer periods.- extending our lives in misery is their reason for being- for each of us is a cash cow. Medicine never cures. Kidney problems are never solved. The pathology may even worsen when doctors step in, but we as sheep accept their explanation because they're the 'experts-' even as evidence shows they're selling us snake oil.

That's why they like to tout panaceas like thiamine. They may help, but only in a band-aid sort of way. That is a diversion, but many people like that approach. They use the substance, and after a few days, they observe improvement, and they're happy - end of story. But that is not healing. To be considering healed, the organ has to have restored and functionality improved without needing the help of any single substance, it has to rely on the body providing it the environment and the endogenous substances the body makes, from the good nutrition the body gets.

People like to take substances, and most people in this forum is no exception. And what are often overlooked are the basic substances. Oxygen and sugar are the main substrates for a healthy energy metabolism. Modern medicine has supplied you with an automated insulin pump. Now you have to ask yourself hard questions about how well it is doing for you. How has it improved your health? Has it helped you achieve good blood sugar regulation? Has your energy improved to such extent as you're having no dips in energy throughout the day and that you are able to sleep well at night? Are you sold on the idea that blood sugar regulation - especially sugar absorption by tissues, is solely dependent on having insulin? Have you been exposed to the idea that increasing potassium levels (and magnesium intake as well) would improve sugar absorption? While potassium is important, having acid base balance (to have enough CO2 to maximize tissue oxygenation) is just as important. And there are still other enzymes and vitamins needed in sufficiency to maximize energy production using the mitochondria. Consider that for the same amount of sugar and oxygen used, you're able to produce 16x more energy if your body is doing it correctly. Consider how your health, and maybe your kidneys, would be doing much better if you are able to produce 16x more energy than you are doing now. All that would be used to build, to heal, to regenerate, to improve immune defenses, and the excess left would be used to develop your brain as well as the superficial aspects such as skin and hair.

Last edited:

Recoen

Thanks. Since I haven't had diabetes type I and haven't had the motivation to try to find a way to overcome it or cure it, I had to ask why diabetes would be a cause of diabetes. If I were to take a guess, I'd say that it comes down to having a deficit of energy. This is consistent with the the metabolic theory of disease, which is very much the heart of this forum, in my opinion, but often overlooked by many members here, as they deal with their health problems. There is the tendency to be very big pharma about it. as that has been the programming of civilized culture- as the more civilized, the more intricate and orchestrated the deception. It makes no difference whether it's a prescription drug, or a natural substance, be it isolated, synthetic, or whole in herb form, we're still looking for a magic bullet to fix the problem for us. In your original post, it was about thiamine, for example.

With a lack of energy, especially when it's continual, the cells lack the energy to do what they're supposed to be doing. In the case of the glomerulus - they're not able to do the job of filtering effectively. The doctors would consider lesions in the glomerular capillaries to be the cause, because they do not understand the idea of barriers that aren't in the classical physical sense, ergo a hole exists for the albumin to pass through. If you think of the barrier as a force field, then you may be more amenable to the idea that the filter barrier not doing its job is the lack of energy. There's no force field, but there's the structure enabled by energy in the cell that keeps albumin from passing through the endothelial cells of the glomerulus. This idea stems from Gilbert Ling's ideas. He has these great ideas, but they're rejected by the medical establishment, which has refused to consider him for a Nobel Prize. Yet they benefit from the application of his ideas, in the form of the MRI. But a rejection of good ideas is pervasive in medicine, and this would explain everything medicine does these days is basically palliative, but stretched out over longer periods.- extending our lives in misery is their reason for being- for each of us is a cash cow. Medicine never cures. Kidney problems are never solved. The pathology may even worsen when doctors step in, but we as sheep accept their explanation because they're the 'experts-' even as evidence shows they're selling us snake oil.

That's why they like to tout panaceas like thiamine. They may help, but only in a band-aid sort of way. That is a diversion, but many people like that approach. They use the substance, and after a few days, they observe improvement, and they're happy - end of story. But that is not healing. To be considering healed, the organ has to have restored and functionality improved without needing the help of any single substance, it has to rely on the body providing it the environment and the endogenous substances the body makes, from the good nutrition the body gets.

People like to take substances, and most people in this forum is no exception. And what are often overlooked are the basic substances. Oxygen and sugar are the main substrates for a healthy energy metabolism. Modern medicine has supplied you with an automated insulin pump. Now you have to ask yourself hard questions about how well it is doing for you. How has it improved your health? Has it helped you achieve good blood sugar regulation? Has your energy improved to such extent as you're having no dips in energy throughout the day and that you are able to sleep well at night? Are you sold on the idea that blood sugar regulation - especially sugar absorption by tissues, is solely dependent on having insulin? Have you been exposed to the idea that increasing potassium levels (and magnesium intake as well) would improve sugar absorption? While potassium is important, having acid base balance (to have enough CO2 to maximize tissue oxygenation) is just as important. And there are still other enzymes and vitamins needed in sufficiency to maximize energy production using the mitochondria. Consider that for the same amount of sugar and oxygen used, you're able to produce 16x more energy if your body is doing it correctly. Consider how your health, and maybe your kidneys, would be doing much better if you are able to produce 16x more energy than you are doing now. All that would be used to build, to heal, to regenerate, to improve immune defenses, and the excess left would be used to develop your brain as well as the superficial aspects such as skin and hair.
All really great points - especially the Insukin vs K for glucose transport. However, when making that CO2 and ATP, the micronutrients like thiamine, are crucial. Jamming more fuel in will set you up for only 2 ATP from glycolysis and a lot of lactic acid/ fermentation.

yerrag

All really great points - especially the Insukin vs K for glucose transport. However, when making that CO2 and ATP, the micronutrients like thiamine, are crucial. Jamming more fuel in will set you up for only 2 ATP from glycolysis and a lot of lactic acid/ fermentation.
Yes, they are needed. Hence vitamins and enzymes was worded in.

But healing here does not revolve around a star named thiamine, but a cast of players that are directed by the body and its wisdom.

The knowledgeable patient or doctor is the producer that gets all of them together.

Last edited:

Recoen

Yes, they are needed. Hence vitamins and enzymes was worded in.

But healing here does not revolve around a star named thiamine, but a cast of players that are directed by the body and its wisdom.

The knowledgeable patient or doctor is the producer that gets all of them together.
Exactly. You can make acetyl coa from pyruvate, thiamine, and Mg through pyruvate dehydrogenase just to get stopped at citrate or any of the other intermediates of TCA and ETC.

yerrag

Exactly. You can make acetyl coa from pyruvate, thiamine, and Mg through pyruvate dehydrogenase just to get stopped at citrate or any of the other intermediates of TCA and ETC.
That's very deep. I wasn't aware of the different ways. The body has many ways. It's mind boggling to try to remember just this.

I was thinking also that thiamine is involved in the pentose phosphate pathway, which produces NADPH, which is needed to produce NADPH oxidase for producing superoxide in the respiratory burst involved in phagocytic activity of the immune response. I don't know how this aspect of the use of thiamine impacts the health of the kidneys though. Do you?

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Just heard on a health podcast that there is a GFR equation that can more accurately measure kidney function. Is there a way to know/find out what equation they are using to evaluate my eGFR numbers? I would be interested in knowing if it is creatinine-cystatin C equation or something different they have been using.

"The team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine on July 5, 2012, that GFR estimates based on a creatinine-cystatin C equation provided the most precise and accurate results. The improvement was greatest when estimates of GFR were near 60—the usual threshold for diagnosing chronic kidney disease. Among people whose estimated kidney function was between 45 and 74 based on creatinine, the combined equation correctly reclassified to 60 or greater 17% percent of those who had been estimated to have a GFR under 60. The combined equation also appeared less subject to differences in age, sex or diabetes status."

A Better Test for Kidney Function

yerrag

Just heard on a health podcast that there is a GFR equation that can more accurately measure kidney function. Is there a way to know/find out what equation they are using to evaluate my eGFR numbers? I would be interested in knowing if it is creatinine-cystatin C equation or something different they have been using.

"The team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine on July 5, 2012, that GFR estimates based on a creatinine-cystatin C equation provided the most precise and accurate results. The improvement was greatest when estimates of GFR were near 60—the usual threshold for diagnosing chronic kidney disease. Among people whose estimated kidney function was between 45 and 74 based on creatinine, the combined equation correctly reclassified to 60 or greater 17% percent of those who had been estimated to have a GFR under 60. The combined equation also appeared less subject to differences in age, sex or diabetes status."

A Better Test for Kidney Function
I would ask the lab what equation they are using. They should know. Even if the results are computed automatically, the diagnostics facility should be able to get that information for you.

yerrag

@S-VV @yerrag

My doctor approved the CBC and Ca/P test to be added to my next blood test on Aug 3, in addition to diabetes panel, BMP and 24 hr urine already scheduled. She also re-prescribed my monthly lab draws so I can keep an eye on things. Once I get those results I will post here for more current data to look at. I will also try to add the Iron panel during my next round of labs or between them.

My plan for the next 2-3 months is to:
  • Continue all medications and supplements as listed in original post to test the effects of the B1 Thiamine supplement.
  • Continue to evaluate and adjust diet based on suggestions in this thread and lab results in August
  • Continue Infrared Sauna (2 times per month)
  • Continue quarterly stretch/chiropractic treatments
  • Continue daily stretches to improve blood flow to kidney / entire body
  • Continue 3-4 hours of walks/hikes per day (split in morning and evening times)
  • Continue 3-4 L of water daily
  • Maintain or improve diabetes control (A1C 6.5% or less)
  • Start yoga (1x per week)
Any insight on the BioPhotonic treatment I mentioned earlier? Good, bad, neutral, unknown?

I can't thank you all enough for the information and insight you (and others) have provided here. At times it has been a bit overwhelming, but in the end I feel empowered to know more and do more to beat this. I will continue to read and re-read the information you post until I get a better understanding of it all. I'm making a list of all of the suggestions and things to look in to. Stay tuned...

Some comments:

What tests are you getting from the 24 hr urine collection? ACR? Uric Acid? Creatinine Clearance?

It would be helpful to get at least a few tests for inflammation. LDH and hsCRP at the very least.

Iron panel is needed, especially if you haven't had them done for a while.

Your water intake is a lot, which is a popular thing to do in the US. I used to do that. I now drink when my body tells me to, when I'm thirsty. It's the elderly people who have poor bladder control who have to be reminded to drink more water, as they tend to limit water intake to keep themselves from having the urge to urinate so often. Other countries that are not so exposed to US medical beliefs don't drink that much, and people do just as well, or even better. Too much water drinking, at the very least, makes you urinate more, and when you have to wake up at night to urinate so often because of it, it becomes a negative on your health.

There is no mention of improving on your nutrition. Allocation time to make sure you have no deficiency of macros, vitamins, and minerals would help cross out any possible deficiencies that impact your health and recovery. I have an infrared mat and infrared light, I may still use them in the future, but I think they're the final layer of my recovery. If the inner layers aren't being addressed, those won't have much of an impact. An example is red light therapy, supposed to improve on cytochrome oxidase availability, which impacts mitochondrial production of energy. Many people find them having no impact, and I think it's because many don't realize that good blood sugar regulation has to be established first. If the supply of sugar and absorption of sugar into tissues is not going so well, what does maximizing on cytochrome oxidase availabilty do when it would barely be used?

Speaking of blood sugar control, that is an important aspect of your recovery. In itself it's also a project. I hope you've read well the pdf file on insulin I sent. It won't agree with your doctor for sure. So it will be difficult to decide where to go. Your doctor will not be able to get you again to improve, neither will anyone here. We can throw some bones along your way, but you'll have to be your own doctor to overcome the challenges of Type 1 diabetes. If you have any questions, pm me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals