Itching: Is It Your Kidneys?

Discussion in 'Symptoms, Causes' started by Giraffe, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

Peat said that too little calcium and vitamin D and too much phosphate lead to kidney degeneration, and supplementing those "in many cases will correct the whatever the liver and kidney problem is." [source]

I found a couple of studies that link itching (and a couple of other skin and nail abnormalities) to either kidney disease or low vitamin D levels. Sure there are other possible causes, but since it is so easy to correct low vitamin D levels and to increase calcium intake/decrease phosphorus intake, it's worth a try.

Idiopathic itch, rash, and urticaria/angioedema merit serum vitamin D evaluation: a descriptive case series.

Low vitamin D levels were defined as <32 ng/mL. People were treated with oral supplementation of vitamin D.

Skin and serum levels of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D3 in uremic pruritus patients before and after broad band ultraviolet B (UVB) phototherapy

Here UVB phototherapy was used.

Skin and nail abnormalities are found in most patients with chronic kidney disease.

Cutaneous abnormalities in patients with end stage renal failure on chronic hemodialysis. A study of 458 patients.

2. Daft

Daft Member

I believe subclinical cholestasis, blocking of the bile duct, was a suspected cause in a study I read about "Pruritus with unknown origin". They found elevated TBSA levels. Sorry I can't find the study

3. michael94

michael94 Member

Yes. Kidneys suffer tremendously when bile is fully or partially blocked from leaving the liver. Cholestasis is not some unique case... it is a ubiquitous artifact of all health problems.

I wrote a bit about this a long time ago when I knew much less, but there is still some useful information in this post.
    https://raypeatforum.com/community/...onstipation-antifungals-and-probiotics.12707/

4. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

That's strange. I suffer from bad kidney function and also acne. I wonder if these two things are linked?

5. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

What would be the best way to unblock bile ducts?

6. High_Prob

High_Prob Member

Taurine and/or Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid...