Low-dose Aspirin As Treatment For Kidney Disease / Failure

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just wanted to post here as diabetes is perhaps the most common chronic disease in the world and many diabetes sufferers have kidney disease, which is considered irreversible. However, as this clinical trial states (and as Peat said as well), the kidney damage seems to be due to inflammation stemming from PUFA metabolism through the COX enzyme and thus COX inhibitors like aspirin may stop the progression of kidney disease. The trial just started so it is too early to say if it would work but the theoretical background is solid and backs up what Peat has been saying.

Aspirin and Renal Disease Progression in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

"...ASA is an effective antithrombotic agent that inhibits the production of thromboxane (Tx) A2 and other prostaglandins by blocking cyclooxygenase (COX). In patients treated with aspirin, serum TxB₂ level is the most reliable in vivo indicator of COX-1 inhibition than TxA2, due to its short half-life and artifacts associated with platelet activation ex vivo. COX are present in the kidney in the macula densa, in the medulla and in the interstitium. Experimental animals models have demonstrated that COX are involved in regulation of renal blood flow. In particular, in a murine animal model, after the administration of COX inhibitors such as aspirin and celecoxib, it was observed an improvement in renal plasma flow and eGFR, suggesting a role for Tx in the progression of renal damage. However, data on the relationship between aspirin and renal function in humans are scarce. In a recent work lead on a large cohort of 800 patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation, ASA use was associated with a reduced progression of eGFR <45 ml/min during 2 years of follow-up. Furthermore, basal levels of urinary excretion of TxB2, correlated inversely with the use of aspirin and with the decrease of eGFR at follow-up. The aim of the study is to evaluate the decline in renal function in diabetic patients treated with low-dose aspirin (100 mg/day) vs. untreated diabetic patients."

kitback

Haidut, I did not see anything in the link provided about PUFAs relative to kidney disease. I am not doubting it but I was trying to find some information to send to my brother, who suffers from kidney disease and refuses to believe me when I warn him about PUFA's.

I did a general search online and all I could come up with were studies showing benefits from Omega-3 fatty acids relative to kidney disease.

Could you point me to where it specifically states that the kidney damage is due to PUFA metabolism?

Thank you!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, I did not see anything in the link provided about PUFAs relative to kidney disease. I am not doubting it but I was trying to find some information to send to my brother, who suffers from kidney disease and refuses to believe me when I warn him about PUFA's.

I did a general search online and all I could come up with were studies showing benefits from Omega-3 fatty acids relative to kidney disease.

Could you point me to where it specifically states that the kidney damage is due to PUFA metabolism?

Thank you!

Tromboxanes ( a type of prostaglandins) are produced by the COX enxyme from the PUFA called arachidonic acid. So, no PUFA = no (or very little) prostaglandins of the bad kind. But given that medicine considers PUFA to be essential they do not recommend limiting but instead block the enzyme that produces those prostaglandins. That enzyme is COX. I underlined the relevant parts and if you Google for arachidonic acid or COX the Wiki pages have a lot of info. Things that inhibit COX (like aspirin) basically act as downstream inhibitors of PUFA effects. Saturated fat is not subject to COX metabolism and does not produce prostaglandins.

TibRex

Thank you!

@haidut

Not just kidney disease, kitback, but T2DM generally. I remember communicating with this researcher linked to the Joslin Diabetic Center, Boston, who found that he could turned T2DM on and off by just using Salsalate, a very potent form of aspirin (used for arthritis), via the anti-inflammatory pathway. I wrote to him about becoming a participant in his clinical trials a few years ago. I didn't follow up on his research/experimentation as I couldn't participate in situ and so did not qualify. But here's a news release:

News Release: Joslin Scientists Find that Salsalate Lowers Blood Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes, July 1, 2013.

Common Pain Reliever May Provide a New Medication Option to Treat Type 2 Diabetes

After 48 weeks of treatment, the mean hemoglobin A1c level ... was 37 percent lower in the salsalate group compared to the placebo group. The decrease in fasting glucose concentration was 15 mg/dl greater in the salsalate group than the placebo group. Patients in the salsalate group required fewer additional diabetes medications to control their blood sugar than patients in the placebo group.

There were also improvements in markers of heart health in the salsalate group, including a 9% reduction in triglycerides (a type of blood fat) and a 27% increase in adiponectin, a potentially heart-healthy protein. Uric acid, which is associated with certain heart conditions and the progression of kidney failure, fell by 18% in the salsalate group. The anti-inflammatory effects of the medicine were confirmed by decreases in circulating levels of certain types of white blood cells.

Along with all the benefits, salsalate use was associated with a number of drawbacks, including a modest increases in LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and urine albumin (protein), as well as a slight weight gain.

“It’s exciting that salsalate is effective in lowering blood sugar,” says Allison Goldfine, M.D., lead author and Head of the Section of Clinical, Behavioral and Outcomes Research, and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. “Salsalate may have an important role in diabetes treatment and may also help us learn more about how inflammation contributes to the development of type 2 diabetes.”

Sources:

Joslin Scientists Find that Salsalate Lowers Blood Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes | Joslin Diabetes Center

Further Evidence for Salsalate in Type 2 Diabetes - Diabetes Self-Management

Therapeutic Approaches to Target Inflammation in Type 2 Diabetes

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Not just kidney disease, kitback, but T2DM generally. I remember communicating with this researcher linked to the Joslin Diabetic Center, Boston, who found that he could turned T2DM on and off by just using Salsalate, a very potent form of aspirin (used for arthritis), via the anti-inflammatory pathway. I wrote to him about becoming a participant in his clinical trials a few years ago. I didn't follow up on his research/experimentation as I couldn't participate in situ and so did not qualify. But here's a news release:

News Release: Joslin Scientists Find that Salsalate Lowers Blood Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes, July 1, 2013.

Common Pain Reliever May Provide a New Medication Option to Treat Type 2 Diabetes

After 48 weeks of treatment, the mean hemoglobin A1c level ... was 37 percent lower in the salsalate group compared to the placebo group. The decrease in fasting glucose concentration was 15 mg/dl greater in the salsalate group than the placebo group. Patients in the salsalate group required fewer additional diabetes medications to control their blood sugar than patients in the placebo group.

There were also improvements in markers of heart health in the salsalate group, including a 9% reduction in triglycerides (a type of blood fat) and a 27% increase in adiponectin, a potentially heart-healthy protein. Uric acid, which is associated with certain heart conditions and the progression of kidney failure, fell by 18% in the salsalate group. The anti-inflammatory effects of the medicine were confirmed by decreases in circulating levels of certain types of white blood cells.

Along with all the benefits, salsalate use was associated with a number of drawbacks, including a modest increases in LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and urine albumin (protein), as well as a slight weight gain.

“It’s exciting that salsalate is effective in lowering blood sugar,” says Allison Goldfine, M.D., lead author and Head of the Section of Clinical, Behavioral and Outcomes Research, and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. “Salsalate may have an important role in diabetes treatment and may also help us learn more about how inflammation contributes to the development of type 2 diabetes.”

Sources:

Joslin Scientists Find that Salsalate Lowers Blood Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes | Joslin Diabetes Center

Further Evidence for Salsalate in Type 2 Diabetes - Diabetes Self-Management

Therapeutic Approaches to Target Inflammation in Type 2 Diabetes

It does not have to be salsalate. Plain aspirin works just fine and even sodium salicylate has been used successfully in the early 20th century for curing diabetes II. The doses commonly used are 6g+ daily. Here is a recent human study we have discussed on the forum.
Mechanism by which high-dose aspirin improves glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes

Here is an animal one suggesting even lower doses may work.
Moderate Doses Of Aspirin Reverse Insulin Resistance

Dragon

although I've seen suggestions that salsalate gives high-dose aspirin results with less stomach irritation.

But what I really wanted to post about was Telmisartan...one of the sartans, one of the ARB's (angiotensin-II receptor blockers)....originally designed to lower blood-pressure in hypertension.

These sartans are rare and precious pharma, because they are one of the only classes of drugs to have essentially ZERO side-effects. In fact, delightfully, they seem to not even lower blood-pressure much if it isn't excessive to begin with!...lol.

If you're trying to fight kidney degradation or failure, take Telmisartan. In fact, it was recently released as a vetinary specifically for CKD, in cats.

3 yrs ago one of our cats licked antifreeze under the car and within 5 days was near death. Vet said put her down, her kidney numbers (BUN etc) are off the charts, she will NEVER recover.

I happened to have Telmi at home already, for myself, so instead of buying the (hideously overpriced!) new vet-version, I just smashed up a ten-cent pill into water, put it into a dropper bottle and squirted it down her throat twice a day. Along with injecting her with sub-q saline to rehydrate her, and squirting some liquified food in her mouth once in a while.

Within 5 days she was able to stand again. Within 10 days she was walking around the house on her own. Within 3 wks she could jump up onto our laps on the couch again.

In just 8 freaking weeks, you would've never known she'd been literally at death's door just weeks ago. And to this day, she remains healthy, active, and playful.

I've also recommended Telmi to several older friends who have incipient diabetes / kidney / hypertension issues, and they report noticeable improvement in symptoms.

Probably any of the sartans (ARB's) will help kidneys, but Telmi has several advantages over the others...

First, it's the only ARB that's also a PPAR-gamma agonist. -Directly- works on diabetic biochemical issues.

Second, it's the only ARB/sartan that crosses the BBB in useful amounts at normal dosage. There's a RAS/inflammation system in the brain as well.

hope this helps anyone dealing with diabetes or other kidney issues. :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
although I've seen suggestions that salsalate gives high-dose aspirin results with less stomach irritation.

But what I really wanted to post about was Telmisartan...one of the sartans, one of the ARB's (angiotensin-II receptor blockers)....originally designed to lower blood-pressure in hypertension.

These sartans are rare and precious pharma, because they are one of the only classes of drugs to have essentially ZERO side-effects. In fact, delightfully, they seem to not even lower blood-pressure much if it isn't excessive to begin with!...lol.

If you're trying to fight kidney degradation or failure, take Telmisartan. In fact, it was recently released as a vetinary specifically for CKD, in cats.

3 yrs ago one of our cats licked antifreeze under the car and within 5 days was near death. Vet said put her down, her kidney numbers (BUN etc) are off the charts, she will NEVER recover.

I happened to have Telmi at home already, for myself, so instead of buying the (hideously overpriced!) new vet-version, I just smashed up a ten-cent pill into water, put it into a dropper bottle and squirted it down her throat twice a day. Along with injecting her with sub-q saline to rehydrate her, and squirting some liquified food in her mouth once in a while.

Within 5 days she was able to stand again. Within 10 days she was walking around the house on her own. Within 3 wks she could jump up onto our laps on the couch again.

In just 8 freaking weeks, you would've never known she'd been literally at death's door just weeks ago. And to this day, she remains healthy, active, and playful.

I've also recommended Telmi to several older friends who have incipient diabetes / kidney / hypertension issues, and they report noticeable improvement in symptoms.

Probably any of the sartans (ARB's) will help kidneys, but Telmi has several advantages over the others...

First, it's the only ARB that's also a PPAR-gamma agonist. -Directly- works on diabetic biochemical issues.

Second, it's the only ARB/sartan that crosses the BBB in useful amounts at normal dosage. There's a RAS/inflammation system in the brain as well.

hope this helps anyone dealing with diabetes or other kidney issues. :)

Actually, it is losartan that is known to reverse mitochondrial aging in kidneys and systemically. Telmisartan is used mostly as a doping drug by athletes. I posted a study on losartan on the forum somewhere but telmisartan is probably also a good choice.

Dragon

Actually, it is losartan that is known to reverse mitochondrial aging in kidneys and systemically. Telmisartan is used mostly as a doping drug by athletes.

lol..."doping drug" ?? I can't imagine why.

In any case, I am quite familiar with Losartan, and all the sartans do help the kidneys...but as I said, it is Telmisartan, not Losartan, that has been licensed specifically as a CKD (kidney) drug for felines.

www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/press-release/new-treatment-cats-chronic-kidney-disease-boehringer-ingelheim-launches-semintra

From a fair bit of research over the years, my impression is that losartan has more pleiotropic effects than other sartans. However, only Telmisartan crosses the BBB in significant quantity at normal dosage (Candesartan crosses a -little- bit). And only telmisartan is also a PPARy agonist. My protocol includes both Losartan for its pleiotropic effects and telmisartan for brain health and body-fat control. Robina uses telmisartan for its anti-proliferation effect against her cancer.

TibRex

It does not have to be salsalate. Plain aspirin works just fine and even sodium salicylate has been used successfully in the early 20th century for curing diabetes II. The doses commonly used are 6g+ daily. Here is a recent human study we have discussed on the forum.
Mechanism by which high-dose aspirin improves glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes

Here is an animal one suggesting even lower doses may work.
Moderate Doses Of Aspirin Reverse Insulin Resistance

Thanks for the input, Haidut. Sorry for my belated response. I've just started on baby doses of aspirin but feel that taking large doses is not for me at this point in time. I'm hoping that low-dose aspirin will yield some positive results when done long term. What do you think? Has anyone reported success on this protocol?

I generally avoid taking pharma drugs - had a very bad experience with Avandia and am still suffering the congestive cardiac issue up to this day even though I tried it for just a week.

So, @Dragon's suggestion of dosing on Losartan or Telmisartan is a no-no as the side effects are not worth the risk.

What do you think of the anti-inflammatory effects of MMJ (medical marijuana)? I've heard of people having good results with MMJ - one pastor even posted a formula which he derived from the bible, saying that it worked on one of his parishioners! Here's the link to the video clip:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
lol..."doping drug" ?? I can't imagine why.

In any case, I am quite familiar with Losartan, and all the sartans do help the kidneys...but as I said, it is Telmisartan, not Losartan, that has been licensed specifically as a CKD (kidney) drug for felines.

www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/press-release/new-treatment-cats-chronic-kidney-disease-boehringer-ingelheim-launches-semintra

From a fair bit of research over the years, my impression is that losartan has more pleiotropic effects than other sartans. However, only Telmisartan crosses the BBB in significant quantity at normal dosage (Candesartan crosses a -little- bit). And only telmisartan is also a PPARy agonist. My protocol includes both Losartan for its pleiotropic effects and telmisartan for brain health and body-fat control. Robina uses telmisartan for its anti-proliferation effect against her cancer.

Check this out:
Doping: AICAR, Telmisartan and the need for vigilance
Telmisartan as metabolic modulator: a new perspective in sports doping? - PubMed - NCBI

Milena

see Contra-indications (angiotensin-II receptor antagonists); also gastro-intestinal disturbances; chest pain; influenza-like symptoms including pharyngitis and sinusitis; urinary-tract infection; arthralgia, myalgia, back pain, leg cramps; eczema; less commonly dry mouth, flatulence, anxiety, vertigo, tendinitis-like symptoms, abnormal vision, increased sweating; rarely bradycardia, tachycardia, dyspnoea, insomnia, depression, blood disorders, increase in uric acid, eosinophilia, rash, and pruritus; syncope and asthenia also reported

Maybe not quite as low as zero.

TibRex

see Contra-indications (angiotensin-II receptor antagonists); also gastro-intestinal disturbances; chest pain; influenza-like symptoms including pharyngitis and sinusitis; urinary-tract infection; arthralgia, myalgia, back pain, leg cramps; eczema; less commonly dry mouth, flatulence, anxiety, vertigo, tendinitis-like symptoms, abnormal vision, increased sweating; rarely bradycardia, tachycardia, dyspnoea, insomnia, depression, blood disorders, increase in uric acid, eosinophilia, rash, and pruritus; syncope and asthenia also reported

Maybe not quite as low as zero.

thanks for listing the formidable side effects, Milena... whew, it's a timely word of caution for sure. I'm very sensitive to even stevia, tartary buckwheat, red yeast rice, biotin, ALA..., to say nothing of pharma drugs!

Milena

thanks for listing the formidable side effects, Milena... whew, it's a timely word of caution for sure. I'm very sensitive to even stevia, tartary buckwheat, red yeast rice, biotin, ALA..., to say nothing of pharma drugs!
Rarely are drugs prescribed for healthy people (apart from statins) - who knows where the side-effects really come from - but I thought a balancing post should be made.

Dragon

Well, every drug has a big long list attached. Believe what you like, but reports indicate that very few people experience any negative effects. They are considered very safe/benign as far as pharma goes.

Haidut, thanks for the refs on the 'doping' angle. I'd never come across that. Who would've thought...telmisartan! lol

Gypsumking

@haidut would love your opinion on these studies, as it seems aspirin is negatively connected with renal function.

Antiplatelet effects of aspirin in chronic kidney disease patients
Error - Cookies Turned Off

Early and late effects of low-dose aspirin on renal function in elderly patients.
Early and late effects of low-dose aspirin on renal function in elderly patients. - PubMed - NCBI
@haidut Yes would be interesting to know the results of these trials aswell. Cant seem to find them which probably isnt a good sign. I think as of now the jury is probably still out with regards to aspirin and renal health.