The Travis Corner

Travis

Apparently discontinuing regular aspirin use too quickly can create a rebound effect which increases the chances of thrombosis, do you know if discontinuing bromelain could lead to similar issues?

Perhaps. A reduction in bromelain could lead to longer circulating peptides, on average—those which had been cleaved previously by bromelain—which could slightly change the viscosity of blood or increase adhesion parameters. (But I wouldn't really know because I've been eating pineapples every day for nearly one year.)

Travis

I would like to incorporate more plant protein in my diet but it doesn't provide the same anti-stress effect that a quart of goat milk or a grass fed steak provides.

I agree about the antistress effect from goat milk, or cheese, but I haven't had steak for ages so I cannot corroborate on that. I will say that six-to-eight egg whites will lead to a hyper-excited serotonergic state, but judging by Fernstrom's charts that doesn't happen with beef or cheese. Most foods have enough competing amino acids to actually lower the serum tryptophan ratio and subsequent brain serotonin; whey and egg whites seem to be the two exceptions, and also consuming glucose without protein (insulin pulls all amino acids into the cell besides tryptophan, being bound to serum albumin).

I am generally a pro-stress person to get things done quickly, but for the anti-stress effect I will go the chess.com and play a game. Even though it's competitive, chess has a calming effect on me (and so does rolling little cigars, and being around plants).

raypeatclips

I would say a little is fine,but not to overdo it. I actually have quite a bit to say on this topic as I'm writing an article about it; in a few weeks I'll have quite a bit more to say about this.

Very interested in that article, will look out for it.

When you say "a little" alcohol is fine, how much are you talking? People's opinions on a little alcohol would vary widely I think.

Hairfedup

Yes. These people most likely have their own sales agendas, but it can be dangerous when taken orally. Cyclosporine is a peptide ten amino acids in length, and it's so notorious for its low absorption that more than one study had tacked this problem using synthetic modifications of its structure. You can rest assured that topical cyclosporine is the best hair growth agent known, and also that it cannot possibly go systemic after topical application.

Thank you so much, Travis. Everything's coming together and I should start my program soon. Will update regularly. Thanks again!

Travis

Very interested in that article, will look out for it.

When you say "a little" alcohol is fine, how much are you talking? People's opinions on a little alcohol would vary widely I think.
This is true. Dorthy Parker considered three martini's would put her in a completely acceptable position, yet most would be quite inebriated by so much gin. Liver function matters a good deal, as does the amount of tryptophan consumed. The ingestion of ethanol shifts tryptophan metabolism away from 5-hydroxyindolacetic acid and towards that of tryptophol, a more problematic indole that can later become 5-methoxytryptophol. This is a pineal hormone that regulates reproduction, body temperature, and bone growth. Five-methoxytryptophol is even more lipophilic than melatonin and can accumulate over time, making chronic consumption potentially problematic.

Inaut

@Travis what do you think about ingesting green papaya (powder or whole fruit form) for enzymatic activity similar to pineapple-bromelain ? i know that the latex component could be allergenic but is it worth a try?

Travis

@Travis what do you think about ingesting green papaya (powder or whole fruit form) for enzymatic activity similar to pineapple-bromelain ? i know that the latex component could be allergenic but is it worth a try?

This could be better, but as far as I know papain hasn't been shown to be absorbed. Believe it or not, bromelain has been isolated intact—with full activity—in the bloodstream after oral consumption. In vitro studies imply that this should reduce platelet aggregation and thrombi formation, not surprising for a proteolytic enzyme. Although a few mechanisms have been proposed that are independent of it classic proteolytic function, I think it's ability to reduce thrombi can be best explained by its ability to proteolyze fibrin. Perhaps its absorption ceases to be surprising once a few things are considered: (1) Bromelain is found in a low pH fruit, making it a priori acid-stable; (2) this is also a proteolytic enzyme just like our own' acid-resistant trypsin & pepsin; and (3) it has a substantial—roughly 25% of its total mass—polysaccharide side-chain that helps confer resistance to ionic denaturation. Trypsin & pepsin wouldn't be able to hydrolyze proteins in our stomachs for long if these enzymes weren't stable, or if they could hydrolyze each-other, and the similarity of bromelain to the those enzymes should translate to similar digestive resistance. The papaya has a neutral pH making papain's acid-stability suspect. The relative paucity of modern therapeutic papain science could be due partially to its generative fruit not having powerful corporations behind it (i.e. DelMonte™; Dole™; Keitel™), yet the fact remains that its ability to be absorbed hasn't been convincingly proven (as far as I know). Since pineapple stems would otherwise be a byproduct from juicing hadn't their enzymatic utility been pioneered, you could then rightly suspect based on economical incentive that: All fruit proteolytic enzymes are in fact similarly absorbed, with full activity, yet only the pineapple industry had the financial means to fund pharmacokinetic studies. [?]

Crude papain has been shown to hydrolzye gluten making it safe for celiacs, so you have that. However, purified papain lacks this function implying that it must be a property of other proteolytic enzymes present in crude papain (green papaya latex). Commercial 'bromelain' is not more pure than crude papain, and besides having proteolytic activity it has chitinase activity.

This is true. Dorthy Parker considered three martini's would put her in a completely acceptable position, yet most would be quite inebriated by so much gin. Liver function matters a good deal, as does the amount of tryptophan consumed. The ingestion of ethanol shifts tryptophan metabolism away from 5-hydroxyindolacetic acid and towards that of tryptophol, a more problematic indole that can later become 5-methoxytryptophol. This is a pineal hormone that regulates reproduction, body temperature, and bone growth. Five-methoxytryptophol is even more lipophilic than melatonin and can accumulate over time, making chronic consumption potentially problematic.
I like gin as well, zero carb, ketogenic, and I generally presume any sort of phenols/flavanoids/plant defensive compounds etc will promote or contribute to autophagy induction...

Juniper Berry
"Active Ingredients:
Juniper berries contain: Between 0.5-2.0% essential oil with more than 70 isolated components including, largely, monoterpenes such as 16.5-80% alpha and beta pinene; 0.2-50% sabinene; 1-12% limonene; up to 5% terpinene-4-ol, alpha terpineol; borneol, geraniol, etc.; and sesquiterpenes; phenols and esters; approximately 30% invert sugar (glucose and fructose); 3-5% catechol tannins, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins; deoxypodophyllotoxin."

Travis

I like gin as well, zero carb, ketogenic, and I generally presume any sort of phenols/flavanoids/plant defensive compounds etc will promote or contribute to autophagy induction...

Juniper Berry
"Active Ingredients:
Juniper berries contain: Between 0.5-2.0% essential oil with more than 70 isolated components including, largely, monoterpenes such as 16.5-80% alpha and beta pinene; 0.2-50% sabinene; 1-12% limonene; up to 5% terpinene-4-ol, alpha terpineol; borneol, geraniol, etc.; and sesquiterpenes; phenols and esters; approximately 30% invert sugar (glucose and fructose); 3-5% catechol tannins, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins; deoxypodophyllotoxin."

London Dry Gin is different from domestic gin because English and American pines produce different α-pinene enantiomers; these are mirror-images of each-other and have distinct different pharmacological properties. They also have different IC₅₀'s against microbial species, although cinnamaldehyde and citral are always more powerful than either one.

EIRE24

Juniper Berry
"Active Ingredients:
You like ketogenic diets?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

On almost every page here there's a member saying nice words about Travisord's writings. I already suggested him to create his own newsletter, just like Ray, and a Patreon page. Such detailed posts take a lot of his time to compose. Consolidating his ideas with the freedom of a newsletter would be great. Supporting him through Patreon is just a form of encouraging what he does. Who's interested in contributing to these?

Last edited:

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
No, because acetic acid is actually the second most antifungal fatty acid behind lauric acid and it works at any pH. Also, the Acetobacter bacteria should be okay despite the raised pH; you'd only have to make sure to dilute it first before adding the baking soda or else you could rupture their cells.

Thats very good to know, i have been having 1/4 tsp baking soda mixed with 1 Tbs bragg apple cider vinegar in cup of water first thing every morning for couple years and always wondered about that. Thanks!

For nicotine i like these, and there is definitely something androgenic feeling about having a toothpick in my mouth, maybe its vagus nerve stimulation.

Pixotine - The Original Nicotine Toothpick - Have One Anywhere Anytime

Travis

who has better pine, Britain or America?

Well . . . I think Tanqueray™ is certainly the best English gin, but I haven't tried all the domestic ones. My state alone produces at least five different brands and it's not even very large. I have tried five gins produced in my state, and over ten from England, and I think Tanqueray™ is the very best.

Most textbooks introduce the chapter on optical rotation with an historical account of Louis Pasteur's discovery of the phenomenon using tartaric acid, dripping-wet with sentimentalism over chemistry's 'glory days' & all characterized by that striking similarity suggestive of reciprocal pseudo-plagiarism now common among publishers. Due to Pasteur's reputation for taking the credit for the work of others—perhaps by leveraging his substantial political connections—writings on this topic should begin with a different topic, such as pinenes, to spite both him and convention.

'Such a dichotomy of routes to the pinane skeleton has also been independently deduced from chemotaxonomic studies on numerous Pinus species (Zavarin, 1970) and can be inferred from the pattern of time-incorporation of tracer into α- and β-pinene in needles of P. radiata (Valenzuela et al., 1966).' ―Banthorpe

Alpha-pinene exists in two otherwise identical mirror image forms differentially produced by several species of pine. Due to the presence of stereospecific forms within the body the two can have distinct physiological effects. Take for example the unnatural enantiomer of morphine, the one which rotates plane polarized light clockwise: (+)-morphine has 100 times less activity in the guinea pig ileum muscle than (−)-morphine and cannot be antagonized by naloxone, proving the stereospecifity of the μ-opioid receptor while also implying that it would be less-constipating. Since all enzymes and receptors are exclusively constructed out of L-amino acids, the mirror image of their respective substrates & ligands would be analogous to putting your left shoe on your right foot. Although not as potent, α-pinene is no exception to this rule: It has been consistently observed though experimental studies that (+)-α-pinene and (−)-α-pinene have distinct physiological effects; and moreover, these effects are sex-specific

'The results indicated that the inhalation of (+)-α-pinene and (+)-β-pinene produced different EEG power spectrum changes as well as affect different brain regions. The gender difference played a major role in the EEG activity of both the components. Women highly responded to both the compounds when compared with men. In women, absolute alpha, absolute beta and absolute high beta activities significantly increased during the inhalation of (+)-α-pinene. In the case of (+)-β-pinene, absolute fast alpha and absolute high beta activities also significantly increased. Whereas in men, significant decrease of absolute waves such as theta, beta, low beta and high beta were observed during the inhalation of (+)-α-pinene but there were no significant changes in the absolute waves by (+)-β-pinene.' ―Kim

The fact that (+)-α-pinene, the more active enantiomer, decreases brain waves in men while increasing them in women has profound implications for proper gin selection. This wouldn't matter if all gin brands were characterized by similar (±)-α-pinene profiles, but since this is determined by the stereochemistry profiles of juniper berries this is not the case. Assuming that both English and American distillers use local juniper berries, London Dry Gin would be characterized by D-α-pinene and domestic gin by the corresponding L-enantiomer.

Mirror-image-of-a-pinene-enantiomers.png

There are five common systems of nomenclature used to designate stereospecificity: The letters 'L' and 'D' often found prefacing molecular names signify the words levorotary and dextrorotary, two Latin–English chimeras roughly translating into 'left-rotational' and 'right-rotational.' The positive–negative system is a more intuitive way to describe optical rotation, with the positive prefix '+' of course corresponding to the clockwise direction. The 'E' and 'Z' system can only be used to describe two dimensional, planar, and sp² hybridized bonds usig capital Roman letters that shorten the German 'entgegen' & 'zusammen'—connoting bonds either on either the 'opposite side' or 'same side' of the plane. This is of course directly analogous to the more common cis–trans designation, and also commonly used to define the stereochemistry of lipids. The 'R' and 'S' system is the most complex, by far, and involves prioritizing the four bonds of sp³-hybridized atoms based on the molecular mass of adjoining atoms. Should the connecting atom be identical when prioritizing, one simply keeps going until a difference in mass is observed. The first two systems listed can only be determined experimentally, using plane-polarized light, while the latter three are determined structurally and say nothing about optical rotation.

'American conifers manufacture L-pinene whereas the European conifers produce D-pinene (see Rush, 1957.)' ―Eyring

'Both enantiomers are known in nature; (1S,5S)- or (−)-α-pinene is more common in European pines, whereas the (1R,5R)- or (+)-α-isomer is more common in North America.' —Wikipedia

Henry Ehring states that (D/+)-α-pinene is more common in Europe, yet Wikipedia directly contradicts this stating that (L/−)-α-pinene is more common. Doctor Ehrig cites a book called 'The Dawn of Life' by Joseph Harold Rush first published in 1957, yet Wikipedia cites nothing. Since Joseph Harold Rush is a physicist almost as renowned as Ehring himself, I would forecast a Wiki-edit in the near future. However, this must be confirmed; great physicists have surely been wrong in the past, and even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Chiral analyses of the leaf oils of Juniperus communis sampled from Saskatoon Canada is (L/−), while that of juniper berries taken from same species in India is (D/+). Assuming all Old-World Junipers produce (+)-α-pinenes and all those of the New-World its enantiomer, you'd then be forced to assume Tanqueray™ would be more inebriating—for males—than Hendricks™ (ignoring the more-than-likely possibility off fusel alcohols in this).

Last edited:

Travis

Thats very good to know, i have been having 1/4 tsp baking soda mixed with 1 Tbs bragg apple cider vinegar in cup of water first thing every morning for couple years and always wondered about that. Thanks!

For nicotine i like these, and there is definitely something androgenic feeling about having a toothpick in my mouth, maybe its vagus nerve stimulation.

Pixotine - The Original Nicotine Toothpick - Have One Anywhere Anytime

Drinking unpasteurized vinegar is certainly not 'woo,' and I'd even argue that its living Acetobacter species are even more beneficial than the acetic acid (although that benefit partially derives from their presumed ability to produce just that, later, within the body.) However, unpasteurized wine vinegars have a similar composition and I think most would agree that Balsamic tastes better. I know it's more popular in America to use apple vinegar, but grape vinegar does appear to be more-or-less equivalent. I have apple cider vinegar at the moment, but do anticipate having Balsamic vinegar either later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Drinking unpasteurized vinegar is certainly not 'woo,' and I'd even argue that its living Acetobacter species are even more beneficial than the acetic acid (although: that benefit partially derives from their presumed ability to produce just that, later, within the body.) However, unpasteurized wine vinegars have a similar composition and I think most would agree that Balsamic tastes better. I know it's more popular in America to use apple vinegar, but grape vinegar does appear to be more-or-less equivalent. I have apple cider vinegar at the moment, but do anticipate having Balsamic vinegar either later today or tomorrow.

I love Balsamic vinegar, especially the 25 year old stuff, not sure if the age improves its health benefits, but it sure does taste amazing. Look forward to hearing if you notice a difference between the effects of Balsamic and apple cider vinegar.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Travisord, remember this guy as your first subscriber if you ever decide to write more formal articles.

--
'Sulfation and glucuronidation pathways of thyroid hormone metabolism' by Theo J Visser is the sixth chapter of a book named 'Thyroid hormone metabolism: molecular biology and alternate pathways' also by him and Sing-Yung Wu. He writes:

"Besides deiodination, iodothyronines are also metabolized by sulfation and glucuronidation of the phenolic hydroxyl group and by oxidative deamination of the alanine side chain. The latter converts T4 to iwontbecopyingthis-tetraiodothyroacetic acid (TA4) et T3 to forsureiwont-triiodothyroacetic acid (TA3). TA4 and TA3 bind more avidly to plasma proteids than T4 and T3, respectively."

The chapter is detailed, discussing also sulfated thyroid hormones and so on.​

Related:
- Nonselenoprotein from Amphioxus Deiodinates Triac But Not T 3 : Is Triac the Primordial Bioactive Thyroid Hormone? | Endocrinology | Oxford Academic
- Triiodothyroacetic acid in health and disease
- https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/thy.2005.15.943
- 3,5,3′-Triiodothyroacetic Acid Therapy for Thyroid Hormone Resistance * | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
- Triiodothyroacetic acid has unique potential for therapy of resistance to thyroid hormone | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
- https://www.researchgate.net/public...odothyroacetic_acid_promote_human_hair_growth

I didn't read them because thyroid hormones are not important, I'm busy with inulin. However! I did read your posts on selenium but had to understand them better and not post just for the sake of replying. I will if I have something useful to add.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals