The Travis Corner

sladerunner69

Better than the oil is the shredded coconut itself. When grated coconut is put on steamed spinach, the oils will melt and leak-out. With a bit of salt this is similar to that with shredded cheese.

The calcium absorption is a bit lower with spinach (~40%) than kale (~75%), but if someone is also eating cheese or other leaves then they should be fine. Most oxalate in the body is actually made in the citric acid cycle and through the decomposition of uracil [sic]. The anti-vegetable bloggers will latch onto spinach oxalate as a causative factor in kidney stones, but there is little evidence that it actually does (and remember: the oxalate is also supposed to be bound to calcium in the intestine—they can't have it both ways). If you look at the actual data, I think you'll find that meat consumption is most correlated with kidney stones on account of Ca²⁺ migration from the bones to the kidneys consequent of pH changes (and the uracil can also become oxalate).

The main problem with leafy greens is simply the iron content. You could not consume spinach or kale as a calcium source and not become overloaded with iron. Peat has warned about this many times of course. Are you concerned with iron toxicity?
I've tried to include tobacco/nicotine in various forms over the years to leverage its beneficial nootropic effects but the physical effects prove to be too much of a deterrent. I'm sure I could acclimate to it but I haven't felt like it is worth the effort especially since coffee/caffeine (especially with 100 grams of calf liver and abundant orange juice) works so well for me. Did you enjoy tobacco starting with your first puff or did it require an acclimation period? Have you ever experienced headaches or stomach upset from using it?

Personally I have noticed both headaches and stomach aches when using tobacco, even with nicotine gum. And the worst part is the withdrawal even after just a few days use, which caused my to wake up with a panic attack everytime I tried nicotine and stopped. It's really much more addictive then people here want to give it credit for. Also I felt like it was cutting off my circulation as I was having difficult breathing and getting heart murmurs.

Travis

I thought that tobacco/nicotine is a good antidote to histamine. Are you saying that there can be an inverse effect in some people? Interestingly I will say that the nausea feels very dependent on motion. Last time I unknowingly overdid the snus, I had to lay still on my stomach to quell the nausea. Every time I moved the nausea got worse.
I still think there could be some relationship, as nicotine certainly shares more molecular similarity towards histamine than it does towards acetylcholine. Also, schizophrenics do often smoke. I think nicotine is being used by them as an antidote, and niacin—also found remedial (see Hoffer)—shares molecular similarity with these both. When I had looked at the evidence a few months ago I had become convinced that schizophrenia is best explained by high brain histamine levels. This could very well be due to mast cells which can migrate to the brain; these brain mast cells in turn perhaps consequent of persorbed starch particles in the brain (see Lafora's), brain aluminum (see Alzhemimer's), or the proline-rich and thus enzyme-resistant immunogenic wheat peptides migrating to same location. Brain mast cells have considerable interpersonal variability, ranging from thousands in some to being entirely absent in others. Perhaps people with a TH1-dominated immune system crave cigarettes if they've had them in the past? while those under a TH2-dominated immune state perhaps wouldn't on account of less histamine to antagonize. If a person avoids grains, aluminum, immunogenic proteins, and cortisol, they will very likely have far less histamine to counter—certainly less brain mast cell-derived histamine. The correlation of schizophrenia to wheat consumption–sensitization is also very good, and I think schizophrenia has much more to do with histamine than with the δ-exorphins (the most drug-like molecule characteristic of wheat). There are dozens of 'theories on schizophrenia,' ranging from 'methylation hypothesis' to 'glutamate overload,' and nearly every neurotransmitter has been implicated in this condition (and even some sociological factors). But I am absolutely convinced that not one theory can approach the sum total of evidence directly implicating histamine.

Wagner83

Travis

The main problem with leafy greens is simply the iron content. You could not consume spinach or kale as a calcium source and not become overloaded with iron. Peat has warned about this many times of course. Are you concerned with iron toxicity?
Not before you had made that comment. Last I recall: I hit the full RDA in the cronometer for nearly everything besides methionine, ω−6 fatty acids, sodium, and iron (and of course the all too-obvious cobalamin and cholecalciferol). I will look again. I will re-enter one pound of kale just to look at the iron content.. .

It says is has 83% × RDA However, we must never forget that inorganic iron generally isn't absorbed as efficiently as heme iron. Six ounces of beef provides 145% × RDA and is more bioavailable to boot.

Although I will go over slightly the RDA for iron eating one pound of leaves, in addition to the other things, I think most people here are as well. I think it is possible to get under 50% × RDA but I think this would require a diet very high in dairy, rice, and fruit. Root vegetables, including potatoes, have enough iron to exceed the RDA in realistic amounts (potatoes do this at roughly 1,000·Cal).

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Travis

Unless you eat pineapples (vitamin c) with it.
This is no good. I have tried using kale juice in a pineapple smoothie . . . Although this does yield a nice green color, this doesn't taste very good at all. For this reason I keep the kale and fruit separate—besides the occasional tomato of course—simply on account of them being terrible combinations (organoleptic).

Coconut cream goes just well will either fruit or vegetables, and so does dairy cream. This is one magical property of short chain fatty acids: They are equal-opportunity cooking/mixing agents that go just as well with salt as with sugar, as well with baked potatoes as with strawberries, and can even become excellent additions to coffee/espresso or even rum (i.e. piña colada).

(Coconut cream: Making people cancer–resistant with style since c.1670 A.D.)

Last edited:

Travis

Thank you. At least it shows apples as being more alkaline and they're one of the best in terms of preserving teeth. Travisord must eat those acidic fruits followed by an apfel.
If you wan't to pH basify citrus or pineapple, then I'd recommend sodium bicarbonate. I added this to a pineapple blend for the first time yesterday and it had created carbonation, which was wonderful. I had also used fennel seeds, equally wonderful, and if you'd ever had Pernod™ or Ouzo then you can imagine what this had tasted like. The honey raises slightly the sugar content, the juniper berries imbibe a gin-like flavor, the fennel provides that absinthe taste, and the sodium carbonate makes it pH-neutral—and with bubbles!

I suppose sodium bicarbonate would be awesome in orange juice as well, and I know that is popular on this forum. If someone decides to add flavor then I'd recommend ethanolic extracts of fennel/anise (i.e. Pernod™) or distillates of the juniper berry (i.e. Tanqueray™).

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

If you wan't to pH basify citrus or pineapple, then I'd recommend sodium bicarbonate. I added this to a pineapple blend for the first time yesterday and it had created carbonation, which was wonderful. I had also used fennel seeds, equally wonderful, and if you'd ever had Pernod™ or Ouzo then you can imagine what this had tasted like. The honey raises slightly the sugar content, the juniper berries imbibe a gin-like flavor, the fennel provides that absinthe taste, and the sodium carbonate makes it pH-neutral—and with bubbles!

I suppose sodium bicarbonate would be awesome in orange juice as well, and I know that is popular on this forum. If someone decides to add flavor then I'd recommend ethanolic extracts of fennel/anise (i.e. Pernod™) or distillates of the juniper berry (i.e. Tanqueray™).
Sodium this way has a different effect than the chloride form, right?
The equimolar replacement of dietary sodium chloride and potassium chloride with alkaline sodium and potassium bicarbonate under metabolic homeostasis conditions, thus neutralising dietary acid load, not only resulted in significant calcium retention and reduced renal excretion of bone markers but also decreased mean daily plasma cortisol and urinary excretion of tetra-hydrocortisol [21].

Experimenting with potassium and sodium bicarbonate can be interesting for members dealing with chronic degenerative of the conditions. Gerson supplemented potassium in these forms.

Travis

Sodium this way has a different effect than the chloride form, right?

Experimenting with potassium and sodium bicarbonate can be interesting for members dealing with chronic degenerative of the conditions. Gerson supplemented potassium in these forms.
I would assume that potassium bicarbonate would be better for those also using sodium chloride, although K⁺HCO₃⁻ is of course a bit more expensive and far less commonly-available.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Travisord, this might interest you:
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
Our tamer said:
I use baking soda, and I rinse my mouth after having sugar, orange juice, etc. The quality of the saliva, regulated mainly by the thyroid hormone, is the main factor in dental health. My newsletter on osteoporosis mentioned some of the studies on thyroid, estrogen, and tooth decay.

md_a

Dobbler

What you think of grass fed beef as main protein source?
Do you think white jasmine rice is a safe source of carbs?

Travis

These are poisonous to the central nervous system. Thanks
What is the lowest concentration shown to be poisonous?

The reason I say that is that methanol and formate are both one-carbon units and we do need those too; we produce methanol naturally even in the absence of pectin (Lindinger, 1997). Considering one-carbon units: Methyl groups can come from many sources, such as methionine and choline, but they can also be liberated from serine's carbon backbone by enzymes having a folic acid cofactor. Folate-containing enzymes can use formate directly—sparing the amino acid serine. Below is a graph illustrating how folate keeps methanol levels in range, even after a massive 4·g/kg i.p. injection (the solid lines):

formate.png

Now the study that had demonstrated a roughly tenfold increase of expired methanol consequent of the consumption of 1·kg apples did not report folate levels of the four test subjects (Lindinger, 1997); in fact, the authors hadn't even mentioned them . . . and ostensibly hadn't even considered them. They had simply used four people—perhaps with varying stages of folate deficiency—and had explained the variability in expired methanol by 'differences in enteric bacteria,' even though the amount of methoxy-pectin not absorbed had not been determined.

methanol.png

I'm not too concerned about pectin-derived methanol. First of all: I very rarely eat one kilo of apples at one time but about half that amount (I'd expect half the increase; in addition, I eat enough enough leaves to absorb more folate than I know what to do with—likely far more than the four random Austrians* depicted above. The graph above should represent the worst-case scenario and cannot be logically extrapolated to routine fruit consumption for the following reasons: (1) apples have more methoxylated pectin than has any other common fruit; (2) the above graph depicts methanol concentrations after the consumption of relatively large amounts (~1·kg) of apples; and (3) no indication of folate status was given, Austrians can be logically presumed to have lower than global mean intakes, and having adequate levels of this cofactor (folate)—as shown above—allows one to assimilate formate at a greatly accelerated rate.

*How much folate is in beer, sausage, and cheese?
Makar, A. "Methanol poisoning in the folate-deficient rat." Nature (1976)
Lindinger, W. "Endogenous production of methanol after the consumption of fruit." Alcoholism: clinical and experimental Research (1997)

Travis

What you think of grass fed beef as main protein source?
Do you think white jasmine rice is a safe source of carbs?
I think these are certainly on the safer-side. The cow is certainly the best animal to eat and rice is certainly less problematic than oats, wheat, and corn.

EIRE24

I think it's damaging. I took antibiotics in the past which is a predisposing factor, along with glucocorticoids, so I'm always on the look-out. Biochemistry indicates that high-starch and high-glutamine foods, such as grains, are the very worst. This is because Candida albicans, which exists safely in everyone, becomes pathological when allowed to transform into its invasive hyphal state. This is accomplished most powerfully by N-acetylglutamine, and the reason for this is that chitin is composed exclusively of this monosaccharide. Chitin is not made by vertebrates; only yeast, fungi, insects, and crustaceans synthesize this polymer. In Candida albicans, chitin forms an obligatory structural component of the cell wall. They hypae are particularly enriched, especially the septum which is dissolved in the round yeast state after mitosis—separating mother and daughter cells. In a highchitin condition, this septum is never dissolved and is technically considered a mycelial filament (or hypha). The yeast form is roughly 1% chitin by mass and the mycelial form contains ~5%. It should then be no wonder why N-acetylglutamine has been found to be the most powerful inducer of the yeast ⟶ hyphal transition in C. albicans.

But no common foods, besides shellfish and mushrooms, contain N-acetylglutamine to any significant extent. Nonetheless, Candida grows regardless and person might wonder why. The reason it can do this is through its enzyme called glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase, which creates the obligatory N-acetylglutamine from glucose and glutamine:

glucose + x·glutamine ⟶ x·(N-acetylglutamine) ⟶ (N-acetylglutamine)ₓ = chitin polymer

So foods high in both glucose and glutamine would necessarily be the most potent inducers of the yeast ⟶ hyphal transition. These are found as grains, which has glucose in the form of amylopectin polymers and a very high density of glutamine in their seed-storage proteins. Plants store extra nitrogen either as glutamine or asparagine for easy access during germination, released as ammonia, and most plants use predominately one or the other. Legumes, tree nuts, and corn are mostly asparagine-storing; wheat, rye, and oats are glutamine-storing. Tomatoes are particularly rich in glutamine, perhaps explaining why these are often included on the 'not to eat' list of many people's anti-Candida recommendations (though they appear to be oblivious of how glutamine plays a role). Culture media sold for yeast and mycelial growth most often have L-glutamine added, and this is important enough that many researchers modify stock solutions to increase it (see the Materials & Methods section). It's not simply carbohydrates, which are unavoidable anyways, Candida albicans also has a specific requirement for L-glutamine.
You say L-glutamine foods are The Worst but previously said that you think beef and lamb are safe to eat which both are high L_glutamine foods?

Travis

You say L-glutamine foods are The Worst...
Where? Where did I say that?
...but previously said that you think beef and lamb are safe to eat which both are high L_glutamine foods?
How high? they cannot be nearly as high as grains (I would love for you to post the actual data). And moreover, beef and lamb do not have high levels of glucose or linoleic acid to accompany the relatively low levels I'd expect from those foods. Glutamine is not a very common structural protein, and exists mainly in nature inside the seed storage proteins of only certain plants. While true that intracellular glutamine is a common metabolite, this wouldn't even approach the concentrations found in wheat and oats. Even relatively low-glutamine foods do have some glutamine; this can never be completely avoided, nor would that be necessary or even desirable.

Do you remember why I stated that glutamine should be avoided by some people, and perhaps only by some people? If so, then why would you attempt to frame this as a contradiction?

Last edited:

EIRE24

Where? Where did I say that?

How high? they cannot be nearly as high as grains (I would love for you to post the actual data). And moreover, beef and lamb do not have high levels of glucose or linoleic acid to accompany the relatively low levels I'd expect from those foods. Glutamine is not a very common structural protein, and exists mainly in nature inside the seed storage proteins of only certain plants. While true that intracellular glutamine is a common metabolite, this wouldn't even approach the concentrations found in wheat and oats. Even relatively lowvglutamine foods have some glutamine, and this can never be completely avoided—nor would that be necessary or even desirable.

Do you remember why I stated that glutamine should be avoided by some people, and perhaps only some people? If so, then why you attempt to frame this as a contradiction?
Apologies.

@Travis , what do you think about magnesium threonate as a way to get l-threonine and magnesium? Seems to have some benefits. I don't ever get loose stool from it and it has a calming effect for some people.

High_Prob

@Travis , what do you think about magnesium threonate as a way to get l-threonine and magnesium? Seems to have some benefits. I don't ever get loose stool from it and it has a calming effect for some people.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Threonate is Threonic Acid (Metabolite of Ascorbic Acid)...So not the same as Threonine.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals