The Travis Corner

Travis

Thanks for the details, have you tried adding pau d'arco to your coffee?

But if it works it is less expensive than a child..
I think papaya seeds work; I think I remember coming across that fact a few times when reading about fruit, but let me check.

Oh god: There's an entire article on that.

I did use pau d'arco in my coffee once a few years ago and had liked it. I think perhaps I will order some more more someday.. . Ceylon cinnamon bark (not powder) is also very good in the French press with coffee.

Wagner83

I think papaya seeds work; I think I remember coming across that fact a few times when reading about fruit, but let me check.

Oh god: There's an entire article on that.

I did use pau d'arco in my coffee once a few years ago and had liked it. I think perhaps I will order some more more someday.. . Ceylon cinnamon bark (not powder) is also very good in the French press with coffee.
Interesting, they say papaya seeds 10 times in the article, it's even in the title but somehow none of their methods and recipes use the seeds. Maybe discarding the seeds has a similar effect in the body of pregnant women thanks to mimicry? I need an other trench coat with a one more inside pocket for unripe green papayas.

Obi-wan

10 drops Lapodin and cottage cheese actually tastes good to me. I take it twice a day now along with a 200mcg capsule of yeast based selenium with each feeding. I remember Ray saying that seed vegetable oils where first used for paints and later introduced in our food supply. Good to hear about the transdermal absorption of stearic acid. I will be applying the cocoa butter and shea butter on a daily basis. I purchased pure organic butters from Amazon. I see most skin lotions have some type of vegetable oil. Telling me absorption is even better makes me want to stay away from all that have vegetable oil in the ingredient list! As I mentioned I do have to heat up the cocoa butter to make it spreadable. The shea butter will dissolve in my hands after about 10 seconds of rubbing them together. Got a really nice feeling yesterday after application of the cocoa butter. Extra benefit is observation of less wrinkles today and smoother skin.

Travis, I enjoy taking your theory's and explanations and turning them into application!

Travis

I think if you were get a French press, you would agree that the character of infusions changes depending on the particle size of the substrate—be it coffee, tea, yerba mate, cinnamon bark, juniper berries, madarin peels, horsetail, lotus stamens, or pau d'arco. The biggest change is perhaps the fine particulates which can diffuse through the screen, raised up through convection currents in a sort‐of Brownian motion. Particle size also increases the surface area and hence increases the strength per gram substrate. For these two reasons—and perhaps a few more gone unmentioned—using courser substrates generally produces infusions having more refined organoleptic properties at standard temperature (~201°F) and pressure (~101367‧Pa).

Travis

This is a plus for Pau d'Arco, right?
Pau d'arco is one of the best anti‐cancer plants; I think you'd think you'd be amazed at how many lapachol and β-lapachone studies have published between 1970–1980.

Travis

Do you know how the powdered bark, a tea, and the isolated quinones compare to each other in terms of maximizing benefit?
No, because up until recently I didn't know of anywhere to find isolated lapachol/β-lapachone, so I didn't see it as a practical thing to do. I think the bark is safe; the Brazilians drink pau d'arco all the time—as they drink yerba mate—so it's not too unusual, really.

I think it's neat that this classic Brazilian cancer bark turned out to have lapachol, one of the most potent glyoxylase I inhibitors ever found. It's also interesting that there is a pretty good correlation between IC₅₀ values for glyoxylase I inhibition vs antiproliferative activities found among polyphenols. It would be interesting to graph this out, and see whether any outliers also inhibit cyclooxygenase or lipoxygenase (i.e. baicalein).

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Travis,

Are you aware that Haidut has a company called Idealabs and sells lapachol in a product called Lapodin?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Spectacle,

Caffeine: Cognitive and Physical Performance Enhancer or Psychoactive Drug?
"Cigarettes contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that promote a greater liver enzyme activity, thereby increasing caffeine metabolism [26, 36]. Smoking may accelerate the pre-systemic (i.e., first-pass) and systemic (i.e., second-pass) metabolism of caffeine, with the hepatic microsomal oxidative enzymes causing a faster demethylation [37, 38]."

Travis

Travis,

Are you aware that Haidut has a company called Idealabs and sells lapachol in a product called Lapodin?
Yes. I made myself aware of that after reading your comments. However it's my understanding that it actually contains β-lapachone, which is an even stronger glyoxylase I inhibitor found in pau d'arco.

Travis

Spectacle,

Caffeine: Cognitive and Physical Performance Enhancer or Psychoactive Drug?
"Cigarettes contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that promote a greater liver enzyme activity, thereby increasing caffeine metabolism [26, 36]. Smoking may accelerate the pre-systemic (i.e., first-pass) and systemic (i.e., second-pass) metabolism of caffeine, with the hepatic microsomal oxidative enzymes causing a faster demethylation [37, 38]."
You gotta read about the acetylcholine system, which nicotine powerfully upregulates. Even with transdermal or i.v. administration, nicotine consistently enhances reaction time and word recall; drugs which inhibit acetylcholine acetyltransferase or block the receptors (i.e. mecamylamine) do the opposite. Drugs which act on the acetylcholine system highlight its fundamental importance, showing consistent trends measured through objective parameters. Serotonin, opiates, and dopamine can affect emotions somewhat subjectively with great interpersonal variation—and yet! acetylcholine works in one way on everybody, all of the time. I think its fair to say that it enhances nervous transmission, and has been shown to even upregulate acetylcholine receptors in the forebrain. It's protective effects against Parkinson's are so consistent and have become so well‐known that statisticians routinely adjust data to account for coffee drinking and cigarette smoking—seriously; I have seen this done in multiple studies.

Last edited:

Wagner83

You gotta read about the acetylcholine system, which nicotine powerfully upregulates. Even with transdermal or i.v. administration, nicotine consistently enhances reaction time and word recall; drugs which inhibit acetylcholine acetyltransferase or block the receptors do the opposite. Drugs which act on the acetylcholine system highlight its fundamental importance, showing consistent trends measured through objective parameters. Serotonin, opiates, and dopamine can affect emotions somewhat subjectively yet acetylcholine works one way on everybody—enhancing nervous transmission.
Mm interesting, so when speed and coordination of the body (or parts of it) are needed, it sounds like it could help. Are you aware of any dependency or tolerance with prolonged daily use?

Obi-wan

Travis, what's up with the new avatar? I thought the old one was very cool!

GAF

Travis said, "Drugs which act on the acetylcholine system highlight its fundamental importance, showing consistent trends measured through objective parameters" "yet acetylcholine works one way on everybody—enhancing nervous transmission."

So, how does one increase the effectiveness of his acetylcholine system without joining a death cult (smoking) or becoming a nicotine addict? I seem to remember that there are lots of posts on RPF about how it is not good to supplement choline. I read Acetylcholine - Wikipedia and came away with nothing in particular.

I presume it is not as simple as slamming some niacinamide and taurine but expert guidance is appreciated.

Obi-wan

@Travis, new application- Cacao powder and coffee with a little real whipped cream...nice for the aristocrat in all of us. Pinky finger up...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

You gotta read about the acetylcholine system, which nicotine powerfully upregulates. Even with transdermal or i.v. administration, nicotine consistently enhances reaction time and word recall; drugs which inhibit acetylcholine acetyltransferase or block the receptors (i.e. mecamylamine) do the opposite. Drugs which act on the acetylcholine system highlight its fundamental importance, showing consistent trends measured through objective parameters. Serotonin, opiates, and dopamine can affect emotions somewhat subjectively with great interpersonal variation—and yet! acetylcholine works in one way on everybody, all of the time. I think its fair to say that it enhances nervous transmission, and has been shown to even upregulate acetylcholine receptors in the forebrain. It's protective effects against Parkinson's are so consistent and have become so well‐known that statisticians routinely adjust data to account for coffee drinking and cigarette smoking—seriously; I have seen this done in multiple studies.
What a coincidence, I was just considering a Bo[tulinum]tox[in] injection in the buttocks:

BOTULINUM TOXIN

"All the [C. botulinum toxin] serotypes interfere with neural transmission by blocking the release of acetylcholine, which is the principal neurotransmitter at the neuromuscular junction. Intramuscular administration of botulinum toxin acts at the neuromuscular junction to cause muscle paralysis by inhibiting the release of acetylcholine from presynaptic motor neurons.[6] Botulinum toxins act at four different sites in the body: The neuromuscular junction, autonomic ganglia, postganglionic parasympathetic nerve endings and postganglionic sympathetic nerve endings that release acetylcholine.[5] The heavy (H) chain of the toxin binds selectively and irreversibly to high affinity receptors at the presynaptic surface of cholinergic neurones, and the toxin-receptor complex is taken up into the cell by endocytosis. The disulphide bond between the two chains is cleaved and the toxin escapes into the cytoplasm. The light (L) chain interact with different proteins (synaptosomal associated protein (SNAP) 25, vesicle associated membrane protein and syntaxin) in the nerve terminals to prevent fusion of acetylcholine vesicles with the cell membrane.[5,7] The peak of the paralytic effect occurs four to seven days after injection. Doses of all commercially available botulinum toxins are expressed in terms of units of biologic activity. One unit of botulinum toxin corresponds to the calculated median intraperitoneal lethal dose (LD50) in female Swiss-Webster mice.[8] The affected nerve terminals do not degenerate, but the blockage of neurotransmitter release is irreversible. Function can be recovered by the sprouting of nerve terminals and formation of new synaptic contacts; this usually takes two to three months.

Botulinum toxin induces weakness of striated muscles by inhibiting transmission of alpha motor neurones at the neuromuscular junction. This has led to its use in conditions with muscular overactivity, such as dystonia. Transmission is also inhibited at gamma neurones in muscle spindles, which may alter reflex overactivity.[9] The toxin also inhibits release of acetylcholine in all parasympathetic and cholinergic postganglionic sympathetic neurons. This has generated interest in its use as a treatment for overactive smooth muscles (for example, in achalasia) or abnormal activity of glands (for example, hyperhidrosis).[1]

The toxin requires 24-72 hours to take effect, reflecting the time necessary to disrupt the synaptosomal process. In very rare circumstances, some individuals may require as many as five days for the full effect to be observed. Peaking at about 10 days, the effect of botulinum toxin lasts nearly 8-12 weeks."​

Travis

What a coincidence, I was just considering a Bo[tulinum]tox[in] injection in the buttocks:

BOTULINUM TOXIN

"All the [C. botulinum toxin] serotypes interfere with neural transmission by blocking the release of acetylcholine, which is the principal neurotransmitter at the neuromuscular junction. Intramuscular administration of botulinum toxin acts at the neuromuscular junction to cause muscle paralysis by inhibiting the release of acetylcholine from presynaptic motor neurons.[6] Botulinum toxins act at four different sites in the body: The neuromuscular junction, autonomic ganglia, postganglionic parasympathetic nerve endings and postganglionic sympathetic nerve endings that release acetylcholine.[5] The heavy (H) chain of the toxin binds selectively and irreversibly to high affinity receptors at the presynaptic surface of cholinergic neurones, and the toxin-receptor complex is taken up into the cell by endocytosis. The disulphide bond between the two chains is cleaved and the toxin escapes into the cytoplasm. The light (L) chain interact with different proteins (synaptosomal associated protein (SNAP) 25, vesicle associated membrane protein and syntaxin) in the nerve terminals to prevent fusion of acetylcholine vesicles with the cell membrane.[5,7] The peak of the paralytic effect occurs four to seven days after injection. Doses of all commercially available botulinum toxins are expressed in terms of units of biologic activity. One unit of botulinum toxin corresponds to the calculated median intraperitoneal lethal dose (LD50) in female Swiss-Webster mice.[8] The affected nerve terminals do not degenerate, but the blockage of neurotransmitter release is irreversible. Function can be recovered by the sprouting of nerve terminals and formation of new synaptic contacts; this usually takes two to three months.

Botulinum toxin induces weakness of striated muscles by inhibiting transmission of alpha motor neurones at the neuromuscular junction. This has led to its use in conditions with muscular overactivity, such as dystonia. Transmission is also inhibited at gamma neurones in muscle spindles, which may alter reflex overactivity.[9] The toxin also inhibits release of acetylcholine in all parasympathetic and cholinergic postganglionic sympathetic neurons. This has generated interest in its use as a treatment for overactive smooth muscles (for example, in achalasia) or abnormal activity of glands (for example, hyperhidrosis).[1]

The toxin requires 24-72 hours to take effect, reflecting the time necessary to disrupt the synaptosomal process. In very rare circumstances, some individuals may require as many as five days for the full effect to be observed. Peaking at about 10 days, the effect of botulinum toxin lasts nearly 8-12 weeks."​
Good thing it's a massive 149‧kDa protein or you'd have to worry about diffusion from the injection site. Image getting that into your brain?

...are . . . are you really going to get an ****‐injection of this stuff?

Travis

Travis, what's up with the new avatar? I thought the old one was very cool!
I just came across this pic yesterday and thought it was cool. I has everything you could ask for: a monkey, a turtle, and it's drawn in funky '50s cartoon greyscale.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals