Low Toxin Studies The brain actively pulls glucose from the blood

Elie

Forum Supporter
Sorry, missed this yesterday... I am following Dr Stephens suggestions and yes this is on top of my typical diet. Down a couple of pounds since starting (8th day today), but I'm sure that has more to do with some dehydration rather than anything else in that short of timespan. Has had some odd effects on appetite so far, sometimes suppresses it, other times I'll be almost painfully hungry until I eat something although it doesn't seem to spur overeating for those meals.
Thanks.
Seems to increase my hunger.

OP
M

mosaic01

If you have anything else in the stomach with it, it is going to get absorbed slower, thus defeating the purpose...No?

It gets absorbed effectively either way I guess, because it does not need enzymes to get broken down. The understanding of Dr. Stephens is that pure glucose has a different absorption mechanism than glucose from food.

This is the entire reason only dextrose works and nothing else, not even honey. He discovered that you can basically circumvent the homeostasis between digestion and glucose uptake that limits the amount of glucose that can reach the brain. The brain is stuck in a helpless cycle of not being able to extract as much glucose as it needs from the food to safely regenerate, so it decides to go into hibernation permanently.

For some reason, dextrose is able to break through that cycle.

lilrawhoney

Forum Supporter
It gets absorbed effectively either way I guess, because it does not need enzymes to get broken down. The understanding of Dr. Stephens is that pure glucose has a different absorption mechanism than glucose from food.

This is the entire reason only dextrose works and nothing else, not even honey. He discovered that you can basically circumvent the homeostasis between digestion and glucose uptake that limits the amount of glucose that can reach the brain. The brain is stuck in a helpless cycle of not being able to extract as much glucose as it needs from the food to safely regenerate, so it decides to go into hibernation permanently.

For some reason, dextrose is able to break through that cycle.
There was a woman named Elaine Gottschall who was able to heal many cases of autism and other conditions using monosaccharides to feed the brain while eliminating disaccharides. Raw honey was a huge part of her protocol. It makes me hopeful for my son, because the way I understand it, dextrose is absorbed much more effectively than glucose from honey or fruit.

Last edited:
OP
M

mosaic01

There was a woman named Elaine Gottschall who was able to heal many cases of autism and other conditions using monosaccharides to feed the brain while eliminating disaccharides. Raw honey was a huge part of her protocol. It makes me hopeful for my son, because the way I understand it, dextrose is absorbed much more effectively than glucose from honey or fruit.

I love Gottschall's work. She recommends honey + coconut oil to stabilize blood sugar while healing the gut. Before I started dextrose, I was craving honey and fruits without lasting positive results though.

Don't carbohydrates from food have to be broken down?

Yeah. Quote from his book:

"There are a number of glucose transporters (eight have been identified so far) (Shah, K., DeSilva, S., & Abbruscato, T. (2012) that ensure glucose is getting to the brain. Two of them transport glucose from the digestive system via the blood to the brain. This is the most common way the brain receives glucose and is where the glucose limitations occur – in the glucose the brain receives from the digestive system.

The brain can receive glucose almost immediately via the non-digestive glucose transporter(s).

What this means is that you can raise your glucose levels, which results in full brain functioning when you have gotten enough glucose, by taking glucose in a way that by-passes the digestive transport mechanisms and avoids the limitation caused by injuries.

When you have taken enough glucose to be fully fueled, you will no longer have any of the physical, mental, cognitive, emotional, behavioral, relational, or spiritual symptoms that have developed and appeared due to glucose limitations.

It takes about 6 months of taking glucose on a very consistent basis to eliminate the glucose limitations the brain has imposed on the digestive glucose transport mechanisms and pathway."

Here's my own thoughts on this: Glucose is mostly absorbed via sodium-glucose linked transporter 1 (SGLT1), but can be absorbed passively in the intestine via tight junctions. This means providing a liquid solution of concentrated dextrose will lead to more glucose in the blood than is possible with normal foods that require a slow and energy-intensive digestion.

In recent years, various pathways of glucose transfer across the epithelium of the small intestine were studied concerning their contribution to the resultant absorption of glucose. Presently, most researchers agree that at relatively low glucose concentrations in the intestinal lumen in vivo (less than 30 mM), glucose (as well as galactose), is transferred across the apical membrane of enterocytes by active transport mediated by the transporter SGLT1, while its exit into the blood flow is carried out by the facilitated diffusion mediated by the transporter GLUT2, localized in the basolateral membrane [4,5,6].

At high luminal concentrations of glucose (more than 30 mM), the active transport of glucose becomes saturated and the other mechanisms might be involved in the absorption of glucose in the small intestine. It was hypothesized that one of these mechanisms may involve paracellular transfer through the tight junctions using a flow of absorbed water (‘solvent drag’ mechanism) [7]. Later, another hypothesis has been put forward that at high carbohydrate loads, the GLUT2 transporters can be quickly incorporated into the brush border membrane of enterocytes and participate in facilitated diffusion of glucose across this membrane [4]. The exact contribution of each of these mechanisms to the total absorption of glucose at its high concentrations in the intestinal lumen under normal conditions, as well as in metabolic disorders, needs further clarification.

Last edited:

lilrawhoney

Forum Supporter
I love Gottschall's work. She recommends honey + coconut oil to stabilize blood sugar while healing the gut. Before I started dextrose, I was craving honey and fruits without lasting positive results though.

"There are a number of glucose transporters (eight have been identified so far) (Shah, K., DeSilva, S., & Abbruscato, T. (2012) that ensure glucose is getting to the brain. Two of them transport glucose from the digestive system via the blood to the brain. This is the most common way the brain receives glucose and is where the glucose limitations occur – in the glucose the brain receives from the digestive system.

The brain can receive glucose almost immediately via the non-digestive glucose transporter(s).

What this means is that you can raise your glucose levels, which results in full brain functioning when you have gotten enough glucose, by taking glucose in a way that by-passes the digestive transport mechanisms and avoids the limitation caused by injuries.

When you have taken enough glucose to be fully fueled, you will no longer have any of the physical, mental, cognitive, emotional, behavioral, relational, or spiritual symptoms that have developed and appeared due to glucose limitations.

It takes about 6 months of taking glucose on a very consistent basis to eliminate the glucose limitations the brain has imposed on the digestive glucose transport mechanisms and pathway."
One small thing I've noticed is that other sources of sugar (like honey and fruit) make my teeth hurt, but dextrose doesn't have that effect.

Ainaga

Here's my own thoughts on this: Glucose is mostly absorbed via sodium-glucose linked transporter 1 (SGLT1), but can be absorbed passively in the intestine via tight junctions. This means providing a liquid solution of concentrated dextrose will lead to more glucose in the blood than is possible with normal foods that require a slow and energy-intensive digestion.

tell us about maltose, @mosaic01

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
One small thing I've noticed is that other sources of sugar (like honey and fruit) make my teeth hurt, but dextrose doesn't have that effect.
This is an excellent observation and I've noticed the same, though plaque on my teeth has increased a bit.

Elie

Forum Supporter

Wow, if im not mistaken, the article basically suggests that glucose increases GLP-1, meaning the same effect as Ozempic?

Last edited:

kYgirl

Wow, if im not mistaken, the article basically suggests that glucose increases GLP-1, meaning the same effect as Ozempic?
Wouldn't that be phenomenal . . . to heal your brain/body and lose weight at the same time. :crazy:

Elie

Forum Supporter
Wouldn't that be phenomenal . . . to heal your brain/body and lose weight at the same time. :crazy:
For sure. I am just not sure how to apply this. Currently there isn't a whole lot of research about this.
I am, for example, finally losing weight after years of just gaining weight by applying this forum's principles, and replacing them, with the bile detox diet principles. and only over the past couple of weeks did I start adding dextrose. So it is hard to tell how dextrose is influencing what I am doing, as of yet.

But, yes, absolutely, it would incredible if a dextrose "protocol" for weight loss can emerge (and provide an healthy alternative to ozempic).

Nebula

it would incredible if a dextrose "protocol" for weight loss can emerge
High carb very low fat adequate protein using starch as the carb usually works great for fat loss for many people. I don’t see why adding glucose therapy wouldn’t only help, providing a fully absorbed fuel to the liver and brain should especially help those who are currently not digesting starch very well. Destressing their entire physiology and building up their ability to produce more digestive enzymes. Win/win. We just need to make some enjoyable dextrose recipes that people would genuinely enjoy and look forward to.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
We just need to make some enjoyable dextrose recipes that people would genuinely enjoy and look forward to.
I have been healing on this cake recipe linked below for a few months already. We double the recipe, and then also make the icing with 1 cup of glucose/dextrose, so that brings the entire cake to 3 cups of glucose/dextrose. We can easily smash this cake in two days. It's soooo good.

kYgirl

I have been healing on this cake recipe linked below for a few months already. We double the recipe, and then also make the icing with 1 cup of glucose/dextrose, so that brings the entire cake to 3 cups of glucose/dextrose. We can easily smash this cake in two days. It's soooo good.

I make this cake once per week and love it. I use 1 cup of dextrose in the recipe, no icing.

Elie

Forum Supporter

Nice. I missed it.
So what would be a reasonable dextrose healing protocol? Like Dr. Stephens says? start with 3 tbsp x 3 per day and increase it each week?
Does it matter if dextrose is dissolved in water or added to food?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Like Dr. Stephens says? start with 3 tbsp x 3 per day and increase it each week?
That is what Dr. Stephens recommends and I see no reason not to go that way.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals