Blood Sugar Is Controlled Mostly By The Brain, Not Pancreas

haidut

Ray wrote in one of his articles that pancreatic insulin is responsible for no more than 20% of glycemic control. While he mentioned potassium as the major factor, he also said that it is the brain that ultimately controls the levels of sugar in the blood. This study from Yale seems to confirm his view.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2016.02.010
Sugar rush shrinks brain cell powerhouse

"...Blood glucose levels are thought to be primarily controlled by the pancreatic hormone insulin, the liver, and the muscles. This new study, however, highlights a crucial role for mitochondria in a small subset of neurons of the brain in systemic glucose control. The study was designed to explore how neurons in the brain adapt to the glucose “rush.” The researchers were surprised to find that not only do mitochondria of neurons “feel” the change in circulating glucose levels, but that adaptive changes in these same mitochondria are at the core of the body’s ability to handle sugar in the blood. To test this point, the research team generated several mouse models in which a specific mitochondrial protein called uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) was either missing or present in varying amounts in the subset of brain cells that sense circulating sugar levels. “We found that when sugar increases in the body, mitochondria in subsets of brain neurons rapidly change their shape and their function is altered,” said senior author Sabrina Diano, professor in the Departments of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Neuroscience, and Comparative Medicine. Diano said what surprised the research team is not that these changes occur in response to glucose, but that these seemingly subtle adjustments in a “housekeeping” cellular event in a handful of brain cells has such a powerful impact in circulating glucose levels by affecting many peripheral tissue functions."

Those changes in brain mitochondria the scientists discuss are actually increase in mitochondrial density, and decreases in ROS production by these mitochondria (see actual study above for details). This suggests that glucose increases mitochondrial biogenesis in the brain and improves their function.

Tarmander

Whoa...mind blown. For like three years I meditated and joked that I could cure diabetes with meditation...maybe I was right and shouldn't have given up...

NathanK

Broda Barnes stated the same in the very first page of Hope for Hypoglycemia. He quoted a study from 1931 where they removed the pituitary of a dog and immediately improved his diabetes

NathanK

Peatit

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Hans Coconut oil for lowering blood sugar, insulin requirements, inflammation and appetite Scientific Studies 19
J Low Blood Sugar Feeling Ask For Help or Advice 6
J Nervous/Anxious Energy After Eating Fruit - Blood Sugar Issues? Blood Sugar 9
C High Fasted Morning Blood Sugar? Ask For Help or Advice 0
J Blood Sugar Not Falling - Tried Everything Please Help Blood Sugar 51
J No Blood Sugar Issues After 9 Months PKD-style Carnivore Diet Diet 14
C Keeping Meals Blood Sugar Friendly Blood Sugar 0
haidut Vitamin D Reduces Blood Sugar And Body Fat In Obese Women Scientific Studies 2
J Lowering Blood Sugar Ask For Help or Advice 12
J So Was This A Blood-sugar / Insulin Related Crash? Blood Sugar 1
L How To Raise Blood Sugar (Without Lowering Insulin Sensitivity)? Blood Sugar 2
S Feel Better With High Fasting Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 4
J Salt, Dairy,sugar Blood Flow Health 9
A Cyproheptadine 3mg: Blood Sugar Problems; Feel Like A Zombie Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 12
Kelj Keto Diet And High Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 21
R Role Of Potassium And Insulin In Regulation Of Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 2
ecstatichamster High Blood Sugar, Hypertension Is Protective In The Very Old Fat Diabetic People? Scientific Studies 10
H Hashimotos/Brain Fog/Blood Sugar Imbalances Mental Issues 36
Cirion Surviving The Night With Good Blood Sugar Insomnia, Sleep Issues 104
S Low Cortisol,hormones And High Dhea, Cholesterol, Blood Sugar? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 11
gately Why Does Milk Tank My Blood Sugar? Diet 18
Insomnia Low Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 4
yerrag Potassium: Does It Have Effect On Blood Sugar? Minerals 32
Cirion Trying To Understand The Nuances Of Blood Sugar Regulation Blood Sugar 5
ddjd High T3 May Induce Insulin Resistance And High Blood Sugar Ask For Help or Advice 4
raypeatclips Why Couldn't I Raise Blood Sugar? Blood Sugar 7
Deadpool Need Help ASAP! Low Blood Sugar, Low T, No Energy, Fatigue At 18 Yr Old Ask For Help or Advice 22
raypeatclips What Are Symptoms If Not Low Blood Sugar? Blood Sugar 93
S Elevated Morning Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 18
C OJ + Chicken Drumstick + Hard Physical Work = Low Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 4
P High Blood Sugar Kills Cancer Cancer 8
S Feeling Better With Elevated Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 4
Queequeg Niacin/Niacinamide's Effect On Blood Sugar? Blood Sugar 40
yerrag Honey For Low Blood Sugar Blood Sugar 2
Orion Blood Sugar Stability During Sleep - Sucrose Vs. Pure Fructose Blood Sugar 12
raypeatclips Why Does Starch Balance My Blood Sugar? Blood Sugar 17
R Saturated Fat Causing High Blood Sugar? Ask For Help or Advice 4
gilson dantas Katharina Dalton And Progesterone & Blood Sugar Metabolism 20
KellyP Kelly's Log: Blood Sugar And PMS And Spleen Pain - OH MY! Logs 31
K Coca Cola Lowers Blood My Blood Sugar? Blood Sugar 11
mayweatherking Can Someone Explain In Simple Terms The Effects Of Protein And Sugar On Blood Sugar/Insulin Levels Ask For Help or Advice 9
haidut Pregnenolone For Blood Sugar Control Scientific Studies 5
D Optimal Blood Sugar Levels? Labs 6
D Blood Sugar Issues Blood Sugar 6
scarlettsmum Blood sugar, rice cakes... Diet 11
artemis Update on my "Blood Sugar Blues" Logs 25
S Low Blood Sugar = Low Willpower Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
Nicholas How do you regulate blood sugar? Diet, Recipes 24
D Peat Diet - Blood Sugar Regulation Diet 46
A High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels - "pre-diabetes" Levels Health 32