Telmisartan Withdrawal

OP
P

Peatness

Where can I read about telmisartan inducing zinc deficiency?
I've posted about angiotensin receptor blockers and Zinc on the forum. Here is one article

OP
P

Peatness

Update: My creatinine kinase is going down since coming off telmisartan. :cheers

OP
P

Peatness

Did you experience similar side effects from candesartan ? I'm going to use some soon.
Too early to say. It seems to cause the same gastro side effects and water retention. Runny nose sometimes. Telmisartan is prometabolic, my waking temperature has dropped down to 36 °C. It was 36.4 °C with telmisartan. Not a massive change but it may be significant in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Peatness

The Sartans (Micardis HCTŽ, Diovan HCTŽ)

The sartan drugs (including candesartan, irbesartan, losartan, telmisartan, and valsartan) are used to reduce elevated blood pressure. All are used in conjunction with hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic.

Which Nutrients Are Robbed

Taking these medicines may deplete your supply of, increase your need for, or interfere with the activity of:​

• magnesium
    • phosphorus
    • potassium
    • sodium
    • zinc
    • coenzyme Q10
Restoring the Nutrient Balance

Speak to your physician about taking 1500 mg of magnesium, 700 mg of phosphorus, 50-100 mg of zinc, and 100-300 mg of coenzyme Q10. Ask your physician to consider the effects of sodium depletion, as well as to monitor your potassium status. You can also eat foods that contain the depleted nutrients.​

OP
P

Peatness

Unveiled another side effect

Photosensitivity with Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers:

Conclusions:
Photosensitivity reactions have been reported with almost all ARBs in VigiBase(®) with a positive disproportionality for irbesartan and losartan. Considering that ARBs share the same chemical structure, which may have the same response to sunlight, it is plausible to consider photosensitivity as a possible class effect. Physicians and patients should be aware of potentially serious photosensitivity reactions related to treatment with ARBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whichway?

Too early to say. It seems to cause the same gastro side effects and water retention. Runny nose sometimes. Telmisartan is prometabolic, my waking temperature has dropped down to 36 °C. It was 36.4 °C with telmisartan. Not a massive change but it may be significant in time.
What are you using now to control your blood pressure? I thought Ray liked the Sartans? It can be hard to bring BP down without medication, but it would be good to know the least harmful.

OP
P

Peatness

What are you using now to control your blood pressure? I thought Ray liked the Sartans? It can be hard to bring BP down without medication, but it would be good to know the least harmful.
Yes Peat does like the sartans and probably views them as the least harmful of bp meds. Unfortunately, I tend to be the outlier and get every side effect of any medication. I'm still looking for a solution.

Validus

That's just it - I have always maintained higher levels at those doses - Why the sudden dramatic decrease - is it telmisartan or something else? I'm just trying to understand what changed. It could be reduced sun exposure last summer. Could injury lower the levels? These are questions I am toying around we. Meanwhile I'm supplementing extra. Telmisartan tanks zinc levels so it could be telmisartan :hairpull
I took vit d3 5000 to 10000 ius every day for 20 years and stopped this year after learning more. Check out this fb group:

Validus

That's just it - I have always maintained higher levels at those doses - Why the sudden dramatic decrease - is it telmisartan or something else? I'm just trying to understand what changed. It could be reduced sun exposure last summer. Could injury lower the levels? These are questions I am toying around we. Meanwhile I'm supplementing extra. Telmisartan tanks zinc levels so it could be telmisartan :hairpull
Also, my 70 year old dad succeeded in lowering his BP where I failed. He did it by focusing on eating A LOT of high potassium foods and limiting salt intake (controversial, I know).

Also, do you have any thoughts on bystolic, one of the few beta blockers that doesn't seem to supress melatonin production?

OP
P

Peatness

I took vit d3 5000 to 10000 ius every day for 20 years and stopped this year after learning more. Check out this fb group:

Thanks. I'm not on facebook so I'm not able to view the posts. Have you seen much improvement since stopping?

Validus

Thanks. I'm not on facebook so I'm not able to view the posts. Have you seen much improvement since stopping?
No, initially things got worse since vitamin d is immunosuppressive and also promotes atherosclerosis. Things that suppress our immune system make us feel better, but it's a ticking time bomb, especially for cancer.

You may want to join FB for the sole purpose of looking through the research there.

From what I've seen you write, you and I are on the same page with pharmaceuticals. I've also been on telmisartan for the past 2ish years 40 to 80 mgs and have now been off of it for about 1.5 weeks.

I'm supplementing more with potassium ascorbate which seems to help and also allopregnenalone and progesterone to name a few.

I'm curious on if you know anything about bystolic. That's the another med I got on around the same time as telmisartan and the next one on my list to get off.

OP
P

Peatness

No, initially things got worse since vitamin d is immunosuppressive and also promotes atherosclerosis. Things that suppress our immune system make us feel better, but it's a ticking time bomb, especially for cancer.

You may want to join FB for the sole purpose of looking through the research there.

From what I've seen you write, you and I are on the same page with pharmaceuticals. I've also been on telmisartan for the past 2ish years 40 to 80 mgs and have now been off of it for about 1.5 weeks.

I'm supplementing more with potassium ascorbate which seems to help and also allopregnenalone and progesterone to name a few.

I'm curious on if you know anything about bystolic. That's the another med I got on around the same time as telmisartan and the next one on my list to get off.
No, I won't join facebook, nothing could convince me to do so. Many have tried.

I didn't know about bystolic until now. I just searched it - it's a beta blocker. I've been offered all the classes of bp meds. Every single one has caused me serious adverse effects. One of the reasons I was against taking beta blocker was because of it's effect on circulation. I know it was contraindicated for me but the doctors were still willing to prescribe it. I need my heart rate at 80 minimum.

My bp remains very high. I've been thinking about supplementing ascorbate lately but haven't yet.. I take a few drops of stressnon and continon sometimes, and progest E when I think I need it.

Do you think supplementing D has contributed to your bp. I've been supplementing D about 12 years

Validus

No, I won't join facebook, nothing could convince me to do so. Many have tried.

I didn't know about bystolic until now. I just searched it - it's a beta blocker. I've been offered all the classes of bp meds. Every single one has caused me serious adverse effects. One of the reasons I was against taking beta blocker was because of it's effect on circulation. I know it was contraindicated for me but the doctors were still willing to prescribe it. I need my heart rate at 80 minimum.

My bp remains very high. I've been thinking about supplementing ascorbate lately but haven't yet.. I take a few drops of stressnon and continon sometimes, and progest E when I think I need it.

Do you think supplementing D has contributed to your bp. I've been supplementing D about 12 years
I think it's a potential contributor. You could join Facebook with an alias, with no other purpose other than looking at the information in the group.

Once you get the info thats useful, delete your account or just stop using it.

Lollipop2

You could join Facebook with an alias, with no other purpose other than looking at the information in the group.

I agree with @Peatness and wouldn’t join either. I stopped using FB back in early 2020 even though had several groups like that - full of research. I will never go back even with an alias.

Perhaps you could grab a few of the rare remarkable research links and post here. Note I am not asking for a burdensome data transfer which no one should be subjected to. ONLY the one or two remarkable research links that struck you as special. Thank you.

OP
P

Peatness

I think it's a potential contributor. You could join Facebook with an alias, with no other purpose other than looking at the information in the group.

Do you remember the film ET? I've never seen it, never will. Same with facebook or other social media platforms. It took me years to join RPF and look what happened!
I agree with @Peatness and wouldn’t join either. I stopped using FB back in early 2020 even though had several groups like that - full of research. I will never go back even with an alias.

Perhaps you could grab a few of the rare remarkable research links and post here. Note I am not asking for a burdensome data transfer which no one should be subjected to. ONLY the one or two remarkable research links that struck you as special. Thank you.
Good idea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals