Telmisartan Withdrawal

OP
P

Peatness

Other thing that help against serotonin and hypertension are niacinamide, ferulic acid, vitamin E.
steamed potato with japanese soysauce and lot's of salt is what I like for upping sodium.
Thank you.

youngsinatra

For how long have you been taking telmisartan?
Have you reached the max dose of 80mg yet?

PeskyPeater

I would recommend from TCM the GABAergic: Atractylodes macrocephala - Bai Zhu
with Ziziphus jujuba which help regulate blood pressure and decrease serotonin overactivity and improve sleep.

yerrag

I would recommend from TCM the GABAergic: Atractylodes macrocephala - Bai Zhu
with Ziziphus jujuba which help regulate blood pressure and decrease serotonin overactivity and improve sleep.
Why do you recommend them? Because they worked for you? And if so, what was your context?

PeskyPeater

Why do you recommend them? Because they worked for you? And if so, what was your context?
I have researched them and other TCM herbs for a hypothyroid friend, with insomnia, leaky gut, PTSD, PCOS.
Those two herbs together can increase the action of GABA and increase the metabolism of serotonin and or excessive dopamine for better sleep. Also useful with withdrawal from drugs, and improve gut function

yerrag

I have researched them and other TCM herbs for a hypothyroid friend, with insomnia, leaky gut, PTSD, PCOS.
Those two herbs together can increase the action of GABA and increase the metabolism of serotonin and or excessive dopamine for better sleep. Also useful with withdrawal from drugs, and improve gut function
Thanks.

OP
P

Peatness

Increased serum creatine kinase due to hypocalcemia in vitamin D deficiency

OP
P

Peatness

Could telmisartan lower vitamin D and suppress the immune system? Just tested vitamin D and for the first time in 10 years my levels are low - 26 ng/mL

OP
P

Peatness

youngsinatra

Could telmisartan lower vitamin D and suppress the immune system? Just tested vitamin D and for the first time in 10 years my levels are low - 26 ng/mL

Do you supplement vitamin D?

Your levels are actually not that bad in my opinion!

OP
P

Peatness

Do you supplement vitamin D?

Your levels are actually not that bad in my opinion!
Yes I do. That's the lowest level I've had in nearly 10 years. Although 26 is not that low It's unusually low for me. ddjd posted this quote about t3 by Dr Peat today. Note that he suggests a level of around 50ng/ml

"It’s anabolic generally, but especially for protein synthesis, and by lowering stress hormones it can shift body composition toward muscle and bone. Chronically underweight people are the most likely to gain weight. If calcium and vitamin D are deficient, protein metabolism becomes catabolic, with a shift toward fat synthesis. Low fat milk, about two quarts/day, and keeping serum vitamin D around 50 ng/ml, helps to prevent excess fat deposition." Ray Peat, PhD

If I didn't have any symptoms I wouldn't worry to much of that level. I'm hoping for a hot summer.

youngsinatra

Yes I do. That's the lowest level I've had in nearly 10 years. Although 26 is not that low It's unusually low for me. ddjd posted this quote about t3 by Dr Peat today. Note that he suggests a level of around 50ng/ml

"It’s anabolic generally, but especially for protein synthesis, and by lowering stress hormones it can shift body composition toward muscle and bone. Chronically underweight people are the most likely to gain weight. If calcium and vitamin D are deficient, protein metabolism becomes catabolic, with a shift toward fat synthesis. Low fat milk, about two quarts/day, and keeping serum vitamin D around 50 ng/ml, helps to prevent excess fat deposition." Ray Peat, PhD

If I didn't have any symptoms I wouldn't worry to much of that level. I'm hoping for a hot summer.
How much vitamin D do you take on a daily basis?
Was your vitamin D level in the desired range beforehand?

OP
P

Peatness

How much vitamin D do you take on a daily basis?
Was your vitamin D level in the desired range beforehand?
Around 5000 sometimes 10,000 daily. My previous test was 38ng and the one before that was 45ng

youngsinatra

I couldn’t find any literature on telmisartan‘s effect on vitamin D homeostasis, sadly.

Around 5000 sometimes 10,000 daily. My previous test was 38ng and the one before that was 45ng

Wow so you actually take quite a bit of vitamin D.
Really strange that this intake does not lead to higher vitamin D levels.

I think there are lots of factors that can cause a sort of vitamin D resistance - such as seen in some cases of EBV-infection for example.

youngsinatra

From personal experience with friends and family members I can say that some of them respond relatively poorly to vitamin D supplementation at maintenance doses, but respond well to an short-term initial high-dose saturation phase, followed by normal supplemental dosages afterwards.

Maybe something to try out! :)

OP
P

Peatness

From personal experience with friends and family members I can say that some of them respond relatively poorly to vitamin D supplementation at maintenance doses, but respond well to an short-term initial high-dose saturation phase, followed by normal supplemental dosages afterwards.

Maybe something to try out! :)
That's just it - I have always maintained higher levels at those doses - Why the sudden dramatic decrease - is it telmisartan or something else? I'm just trying to understand what changed. It could be reduced sun exposure last summer. Could injury lower the levels? These are questions I am toying around we. Meanwhile I'm supplementing extra. Telmisartan tanks zinc levels so it could be telmisartan :hairpull

OP
P

Peatness

The vitamin D receptor (VDR) binds zinc, and the activity of vitamin D dependent genes in cells is influenced by intracellular zinc concentrations. Zinc help vitamin D to work inside the cells. It is also important to ensure that the calcium from foods or supplements is used in your bones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals