Telmisartan Withdrawal

P

Peatness

Has anyone been able to successfully withdrawal from telmisartan?

I have been on 40mg of this drug for extremely high blood pressure since February and it is not working. The side effects are too numerous to continue taking it. It blocks the vitamin D receptors. I have found disturbing research to show it can lower bone density. Since being on the drug I have been having muscle wasting and joints pains. What is your experience of taking telmisartan and what is the best way to withdrawal from it?

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but I take 20 mg of it. I was not aware that it can lower bone density! I would appreciate it if you would post some links so i can further research this. As for me, I am overweight but when I was thinner, I didn't have to take it. I have noticed that the past year or so I have had joint pain. I am 53, almost 54, so I was thinking it was because of my age but with your post it makes me wonder if its the Micardis!

dukesbobby777

Has anyone been able to successfully withdrawal from telmisartan?

I have been on 40mg of this drug for extremely high blood pressure since February and it is not working. The side effects are too numerous to continue taking it. It blocks the vitamin D receptors. I have found disturbing research to show it can lower bone density. Since being on the drug I have been having muscle wasting and joints pains. What is your experience of taking telmisartan and what is the best way to withdrawal from it?

What do you mean by withdrawal? Something else to replace it with? If you’re deriving no benefits from it, best just to come off it under your Doctor’s supervision and look for an alternative solution.

OP
P

Peatness

Thanks for reply. I have very high blood pressure which began around the same time I entered menopause and began following a peat inspired diet. I am slim with normal blood sugars but slightly hypo by peats standards. Due to Ehlers danlos I could not tolerate calcium channel blockers. I then tried lorsartan but could not find a preparation that did not contain titanium dioxide so l switched to telmisartan. It does reduce my blood pressure but only slightly. Diuretics are not suitable for me and I am hesitant to try beta blockers. I have tried many of the recommendations on this site hypertension. I am of African descent I am wondering if perhaps 2 liters on milk a day may be too much calcium? I do use K2 mk4. I am salt sensitive. I did try taurine but my gut is sensitive to it. Telmisartan is a good drug but it is causing muscular skeletal problems and still not normalising blood pressure. Without a viable alternative I cannot discontinue telmisartan as the blood pressure spikes too high.

Bone mineral density is reduced by telmisartan in male spontaneously hypertensive rats

Bone mineral density is reduced by telmisartan in male spontaneously hypertensive rats - PubMed

Telmisartan (MPKB)

OP
P

Peatness

Thank you. I am familiar with the work of Andrew Saul. He is a big fan of supplementing Vitamin C. I have being speculating about vitamin C recently. I suspect it may be the missing link. I have injuries that are not healing. Vitamin C does have its role in collagen synthesis. I stopped supplementing it when I started peating. I don’t drink orange juice due to gut issues. I do use idealabs magoil, and other forms of magnesium. Will also look into GABA and perhaps reduce calcium. I started drinking milk around the same time I developed hypertension. I love milk but my gut struggles to digest it. My grandmother, my mother, sister, and now I have hypertension. I am convinced thyroid may play a part but here in the UK it’s impossible to find a doctor that would agree. Anyway, I am positive that I can turn thinks around; it may require adjustment to my diet.

OP
P

Peatness

Knowing what we know about pharmaceutical companies how do we know that the clinical trials for medications such as telmisartan can be trusted?

Renal Impairment​

Deterioration of renal function may occur. (See Renal Effects under Cautions.)

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsinatra

Just took my first dose of telmisartan today (40mg) for hypertension.

It lowered my BP from average 160/90 to 140/80 in only 3 hours for me, so it seems to work pretty quickly.
My doctor said I will probably need 80mg/d, but should take it for 7 days at 40mg and watch my BP.

I could not tolerate ACE-Inhibitors, but I hope that ARBs work out fine, while I am on a multiple year-long path of fixing my hypervitaminosis A. Before my one-year high dose vitamin A experiment I did not have hypertension.

I tried without any medications to control BP, but my BP consistently stays above 150/90 and lately I got daily nose bleeds, strong headaches and blood shot eyes due to BP in the 160-180/100 so I decided to contact my doc again and he gave me telmisartan.

youngsinatra

I think telmisartan has very interesting effects, but like every compound, it also has possible side-effects.

But chronic very high blood pressure will cause much much more harm to your kidneys, heart and brain than telmisartan ever will cause probably.

How high is your BP and how old are you?

OP
P

Peatness

I think telmisartan has very interesting effects, but like every compound, it also has possible side-effects.

But chronic very high blood pressure will cause much much more harm to your kidneys, heart and brain than telmisartan ever will cause probably.

How high is your BP and how old are you?
My last reading today was 168/112, it can go higher. I was on 40mg and it doesn't lower my bp that much but helps a lot with circulation. Because I have low renin I don't get the profound bp lowering effect of telmisartan like some poeple do. A calcium channel blocker would work better for me but I couldn't tolerate the 2 I tried. I've had facial swelling, taste disturbance, and muscle weakness since starting telmisartan.

yerrag

Perhaps it is not a causal relationship but a mere association. I have not seen my chronic high bp, and mine is very high, leading to the harm you speak of.

But I will understand if you have to take these drugs, especially if you're married with children. Because if you don't take these drugs to lower your bp, your bp will stay naturally high. By taking bp drugs, you will have artificially low bp and your HMO and life insurance will allow you to sign up for insurance. For the children and for your marriage. But not for you.

How did the filthy lying establishment make studies to prove their case that high bp is the cause for harming the heart, the kidneys, and the liver? Maybe the same way they proved cholesterol is bad, or that viruses trule exist.

OP
P

Peatness

Through the lowering of stress hormones. Search the forum for Clonidine and you can add the filter to post by user "haidut" as his posts are pretty detailed
Thanks, interesting. Not an option for me because clonidine is contraindicated for raynauds. I will try B6 in the form of pyridoxine. Also I am reluctant to tie myself to another pharma drug
Perhaps it is not a causal relationship but a mere association. I have not seen my chronic high bp, and mine is very high, leading to the harm you speak of.

But I will understand if you have to take these drugs, especially if you're married with children. Because if you don't take these drugs to lower your bp, your bp will stay naturally high. By taking bp drugs, you will have artificially low bp and your HMO and life insurance will allow you to sign up for insurance. For the children and for your marriage. But not for you.

How did the filthy lying establishment make studies to prove their case that high bp is the cause for harming the heart, the kidneys, and the liver? Maybe the same way they proved cholesterol is bad, or that viruses trule exist.
My Kidney function was fine before telmisartan and now it's compromised. I can't prove that it was telmisartan that caused this because there are so many variables with me. Telmisartan can be myotoxic but no doctor has ever mentioned this to me.

yerrag

Thanks, interesting. Not an option for me because clonidine is contraindicated for raynauds. I will try B6 in the form of pyridoxine. Also I am reluctant to tie myself to another pharma drug

My Kidney function was fine before telmisartan and now it's compromised. I can't prove that it was telmisartan that caused this because there are so many variables with me. Telmisartan can be myotoxic but no doctor has ever mentioned this to me.
What markers pertaining to kidney health worsened? Was it creatinine? eGFR? Albumin creatinine ratio?

By myotoxic do you mean it leads to muscle tissue being destroyed? Is it in the kidneys or in general?

OP
P

Peatness

What markers pertaining to kidney health worsened? Was it creatinine? eGFR? Albumin creatinine ratio?

By myotoxic do you mean it leads to muscle tissue being destroyed? Is it in the kidneys or in general?
eGFR was 80 last blood test but previously 90. Creatinine was normal and albumin was not measured this time. My albumin tends to be on the high end of normal

For me the muscle weakness was general and it start within a week of starting the drug

In rare cases, telmisartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness .

Doctors keep saying this is rare - which basically means shut up

Telmisartan Induced Myotoxicity: A Case-Report

The precise incidence of drug-induced myopathy is still not known, only few reports with the use of Telmisartan. There are likely around 150 agents that are associated to cause myotoxicity like statins, corticosteroids, anti-retroviral, and immunosuppressants. Therefore, as recommended by the guidelines, therapeutic drug monitoring of Telmisartan is required after the initiation of the therapy. However, the rise in serum creatinine up to 20-30% is accepted. But if serum creatinine level increases >30% then withdrawal of the therapy is recommended. Suspicious with the previous therapy of Tab. Telmisartan as no other pathology could be detected. A causality analysis was done using the Naranjo’s algorithm and WHO-UMC Scale and the present ADR was found to be ‘Probable’ with Telmisartan. Tab. Telmisartan was withdrawn completely and was switched by another Antihypertensive -Tab. Enalapril (5mg). Gradually, the condition of the patient showed improvement in terms of both- the clinical symptoms and laboratory abnormalities. However, re-challenge of the drug was not performed in order to avoid further toxicity. After 15 days, the patient had visited Medicine Outpatient Department (OPD) again the creatinine and uric acid levels where checked which were normal and further advised to follow up every month. To be conclude, adverse drug reaction of myotoxicity associated with telmisartan is rare but quite significant. So, close monitoring is necessary to ensure safety of drug therapy especially in long term use.

Attachments

• Telmisartan induced myotoxicity.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

yerrag

eGFR was 80 last blood test but previously 90. Creatinine was normal and albumin was not measured this time. My albumin tends to be on the high end of normal

For me the muscle weakness was general and it start within a week of starting the drug

In rare cases, telmisartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness .

Doctors keep saying this is rare - which basically means shut up

Telmisartan Induced Myotoxicity: A Case-Report

The precise incidence of drug-induced myopathy is still not known, only few reports with the use of Telmisartan. There are likely around 150 agents that are associated to cause myotoxicity like statins, corticosteroids, anti-retroviral, and immunosuppressants. Therefore, as recommended by the guidelines, therapeutic drug monitoring of Telmisartan is required after the initiation of the therapy. However, the rise in serum creatinine up to 20-30% is accepted. But if serum creatinine level increases >30% then withdrawal of the therapy is recommended. Suspicious with the previous therapy of Tab. Telmisartan as no other pathology could be detected. A causality analysis was done using the Naranjo’s algorithm and WHO-UMC Scale and the present ADR was found to be ‘Probable’ with Telmisartan. Tab. Telmisartan was withdrawn completely and was switched by another Antihypertensive -Tab. Enalapril (5mg). Gradually, the condition of the patient showed improvement in terms of both- the clinical symptoms and laboratory abnormalities. However, re-challenge of the drug was not performed in order to avoid further toxicity. After 15 days, the patient had visited Medicine Outpatient Department (OPD) again the creatinine and uric acid levels where checked which were normal and further advised to follow up every month. To be conclude, adverse drug reaction of myotoxicity associated with telmisartan is rare but quite significant. So, close monitoring is necessary to ensure safety of drug therapy especially in long term use.
This is nuts by the medical establishment. An increase in creatinine is bad enough, yet it had to increase by a third to stop treatment? By then a lot of patients would need dialysis. Really smart of them in their model of creating new opportunities for more medical intervention.

This myotoxicity is no different from over training muscle at the gym, such as in carrying too much weights too soon, as this causes the breakdown of muscle that leads to rhabdomyolysis, where myoglobin is released to the blood and goes to the kidneys to do damage.

However, since your creatinine did not increase ( when you said normal), yet your EGFR decreased, is it possible it decreased mainly because you got older? If you look at the formula used to calculate eGFR, your eGFR would automatically decrease simply by you getting older, even if your creatinine levels stayed the same (dumbed down science used by people who claim they are science).

If you wanted to get a less dumbed down procedure for calculating your kidneys filtering rate, you'd have to use a 24hr creatinine clearance calculation, but that would be too laborious and inconvenient for a modern streamlined medical lab. So instead we have the conveniently useless formulas made for them and not for us. Just like the HbA1c we use for blood sugar.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peatness

This is nuts by the medical establishment. An increase in creatinine is bad enough, yet it had to increase by a third to stop treatment? By then a lot of patients would need dialysis. Really smart of them in their model of creating new opportunities for more medical intervention.

This myotoxicity is no different from over training muscle at the gym, such as in carrying too much weights too soon, as this causes the breakdown of muscle that leads to rhabdomyolysis, where myoglobin is released to the blood and goes to the kidneys to do damage.

However, since your creatinine did not increase ( when you said normal), yet your EGFR decreased, is it possible it decreased mainly because you got older? If you look at the formula used to calculate eGFR, your eGFR would automatically decrease simply by you getting older, even if your creatinine levels stayed the same (dumbed down science used by people who claim they are science).

If you wanted to get a less dumbed down procedure for calculating your kidneys filtering rate, you'd have to use a 24hr creatinine clearance calculation, but that would be too laborious and inconvenient for a modern streamlined medical lab. So instead we have the conveniently useless formulas made for them and not for us. Just like the HbA1c we use for blood sugar.
I've just ordered a private thyroid blood - test that should give me an indication of what's really going on.

yerrag

I've just ordered a private thyroid blood - test that should give me an indication of what's really going on.
What is the connection of thyroid? I must be missing something.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals