Strange. [Botox, Depression Treatment]

narouz

How to view this from a Peat perspective?
from A. Sullivan's website

Happy Paralysis?
JUL 5 2014 @ 11:22AM
Taffy Brodesser-Akner reviews research by cosmetic dermatologist Eric Finzi, who investigates Botox as a treatment for depression:

In 2003, Finzi launched a small pilot study. He treated several subjects suffering from moderate to severe depression with Botox, paralyzing the muscles in their brows that create expressions of sadness, anger, and fear. The results were astonishing. Nine out of 10 patients reported a complete remission of their depression. … n May 2014, in the Journal of Psychiatric Research, Finzi published the results of a second, much larger study, this one double-blind and randomized, with the results co-authored with Dr. Norman Rosenthal, a professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical School. (The project was also funded by Finzi’s clinic.) The study found a 47 percent reduction in scores on the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale among those injected with Botox. The members of the control group, who were injected with saline, exhibited a 20.6 percent reduction.

Brodesser-Akner decided to undergo the treatment herself, with mixed results:

As the weirdness subsided, I realized I wouldn’t characterize myself as less emotional with the Botox. I had the same emotions I’d always had; I just didn’t care about them. And then I wondered what this meant.

We are our feelings, after all. The rest is just blood and tissue. I felt diminished by feeling less deeply, and that, to me, was the most compelling result. We think that the opposite of depression is elation, but that isn’t exactly correct. Happy people don’t walk around ecstatic the way depressed people walk around sad. No, the opposite of depression is the absence of depression—and I suppose, in those terms, the Botox worked. I did experience an absence of depression. But Botox also took away other feelings, the ones we need to make us whole: joy, jealousy, frustration, triumph. Feeling leap-in-the-air excited—that was gone, too.
Surveying Finzi’s research back in March, psychiatrist Richard A. Friedman considered (NYT) its broader implications:

Whether Botox will prove to be an effective and useful antidepressant is as yet unclear. If it does prove effective, however, it will raise the intriguing epidemiological question of whether in administering Botox to vast numbers of people for cosmetic reasons, we might have serendipitously treated or prevented depression in a large number of them.

tara

Re: Strange...

Apparently botox is sometimes used to prevent migraine, I think by paralysing part of the trigeminal nerve.

The expression is not just a symptom of the emotion!

OP
N

narouz

The expression is the emotion...?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I wonder if that article might be partially designed to further promote botox sales? About three years ago I got botox between my eyebrows couple times. I remember reading an article about the concern over it inhibiting the the full capability for facial expression. I don't even remember what type of publication I read the article in but the author was implying that young children of parents with botox may be missing out on crucial facial cues from their parent. It's an interesting topic. Incidentally I no longer have the perceived need to smooth out those lines I was trying to diminish with botox. I think less intense stress and better overall health has contributed to the virtual disappearance of those expression lines. I personally do prefer having the full ability to move every muscle in my face. In hindsight I might have felt some things a bit less intensely but I'm not sure that was really positive for me. To me there is something beautiful about being able to communicate, express and feel our full range of human emotions. It seems integral to the human experience. Someone said, " you can't heal what you don't feel" and I wonder if the botox in this situation might subtly interfere with an individuals ability to feel and therefore heal? Whenever I occasionally notice that particular line between my brows deepening it's a reminder to me that I'm letting myself get too stressed, to figure out why and correct it. Those are just my personal musings on the topic.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

BTW- I'd never touch the stuff again. I'm not sure what Peat would think or have to say but one thing I've learned from studying Peat's work is to think critically and pay attention to my hunches or gut feelings. Both my rational and intuitive mind tell me it's probably not wise to ever inject myself with poison again. But that's just me.:shock:

Hugh Johnson

Not that suprising. As embodied creatures we feel and think with our bodies. You can try it right now by putting a smile on your face. If you are remotely healthy you should feel joy. It needs to be a real smile though, one that starts from the eyes. Feelings generally follow actions more than actions follow feelings.

pboy

no wonder the joker is happy all the time

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals