More On The Wrong Theory Of Depression And Serotonin

haidut

Forum Supporter
It seems like these articles are popping everywhere. I wonder if this trend continues and erodes sales of Prozac et al then what will the pharma industry come up with as next generation drugs. Also, does anybody go to jail for knowingly pushing SSRI drugs responsible for thousands of suicides?
I guess more importantly, just as Peat said, it looks like the culture truly became authoritarian after WWII (early 1950s) resulting in concerted promotion of medical theories known to be wrong. Let's see how long before we start getting news on cancer drugs being based on wrong theory.

http://io9.com/the-most-popular-antidep ... 1686163236

"... The corollary to the chemical imbalance theory, which implies that raising brain serotonin levels alleviates depression, has also been hard to prove. As mentioned previously, the serotonin-depleting drug reserpine was itself shown to be an effective anti-depressant in the 1950s, the same decade in which other studies claimed that reserpine caused depression-like symptoms. At the time, few psychiatrists acknowledged these conflicting reports, as the studies muddled a beautiful, though incorrect, theory. Tianeptine is another drug that decreases serotonin levels while also serving as a bona-fide anti-depressant. Tianeptine does just the opposite of SSRIs – it enhances serotonin reuptake. Wellbutrin is a third anti-depressant that doesn't increase serotonin levels. You get the picture. If you prefer your data to be derived more accurately, but less relevantly, from rodents, you might consider a recent meta-analysis carried out by researchers led by McMaster University psychologist Paul Andrews. Their investigation revealed that, in rodents, depression was usually associated with elevated serotonin levels. Andrews argues that depression is therefore a disorder of too much serotonin, but the ambiguous truth is that different experiments have shown "activation or blockage of certain serotonin receptors [to improve] or worsen depression symptoms in an unpredictable manner."

Frankdee20

If there was a balancing regimen to counter Bupropion’s stimulating, sleep killing potential, I’d take it tomorrow. It’s derived from the East African cathinone/Khat shrub. Has virtually zero affinity for Serotonin, and blocks Nicotinic receptors. It’s ultimately a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and to a lesser extent Dopamine. Can increase the seizure propensity, but more likely to occur with immediate release versions over 450 mg. You hear a lot of good personal accounts from users, but ultimately they hate the insomnia, and propensity toward stimulation.

Who can find this study mentioned here?

SSRIs Markedly Deplete Brain Serotonin
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...-study-ssris-markedly-deplete-brain-serotonin
Dutch investigators will soon publish an article in Neurochemistry International that sheds light on how SSRI antidepressants affect the serotonergic system over the longer term, and why abrupt discontinuation of an SSRI can be so problematic. The study also serves as a reminder of how the public belief that SSRIs “increase” serotonin levels in the brain is belied by science.

In the study, the researchers administered citalopram to the rats for two weeks (there was a control group as well), and then the drug-treated rats were either abruptly withdrawn from the drug or continued on it for another three days. The rats were then sacrificed and their brain tissue analyzed. The investigators likened this dosing regimen to a “long-term treatment paradigm.”

In the drug-maintained rats, serotonin content at the end of 17 days was “reduced by 60% on average in nine areas of the brain,” compared to controls. This depletion appears to be part of a compensatory response to the drug. Since an SSRI blocks the normal reuptake of serotonin from the synaptic cleft, the neurotransmitter stays in this extracellular space longer than normal, and in response, the brain’s synthesis of serotonin dramatically decreases. As a result, serotonin levels in brain tissues end up markedly depleted.

DaveFoster

Ever tried it?
I nibbled on a bupropion extended-release capsule and became mildly anxious and disassociated. I might consider it later on. For some, the anxiety produced by the drug passes within a few weeks, where the drug actually reduces their anxiety. For others, it remains elevated.

I tried Indian generic buproprion in various dosages from 150 to 450 but never a long time. Makes me sociable and talk fast. Confident and attractive too. Greatly increases energy rush from coffee in an adrenaline way, I can feel waves and goosebumps from coffee on buproprion.

Surprisingly good with fluoxetine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals