Strabismus

dfspcc20

My 3 year old daughter has a strabismus- estropia (one eye turns inward).

OD gave the typical recommendations: try an eye patch on the stronger eye (to strengthen the weaker eye). If that doesn't help, glasses. If that doesn't work, surgery. All the conventional knowledge seems to be set on treating it as a defect in the eye and/or brain, but I feel something is being missed, especially from a bioenergetic point of view.

Some sources say an infection might be the cause, but there are no other signs of that.

She is healthy otherwise. Born at 42 weeks, 90+ percentiles in height, weight, head circumference since birth. Hit all developmental milestones early. Eat's well (as well as a toddler's diet could be). Sleeps well. Plenty of time outdoors in the sun, all incandescent lights in our house. She does have a history of some mild eczema, which I'm beginning to think might be related to vitamin-enriched milk.

Her estropia is new within the past 6 months or so.

What else might be overlooked here?

Peatful

First things first....
The patch should work.
Children are resilient. Heal well.
Just be consistent so it can be worn for the shortest amount of time.

So...
Eczema.
U don't mention her digestive health.
Looking at her bowel movements was helpful for my kid.
How often, smell, straining, etc.
My daughter had an issue with cows milk...which she outgrew, but we still limit it.
So, is the strabismus related to gut health?
Hard to say...but the eczema surely is

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

First things first....
The patch should work.
Children are resilient. Heal well.
Just be consistent so it can be worn for the shortest amount of time.

So...
Eczema.
U don't mention her digestive health.
Looking at her bowel movements was helpful for my kid.
How often, smell, straining, etc.
My daughter had an issue with cows milk...which she outgrew, but we still limit it.
So, is the strabismus related to gut health?
Hard to say...but the eczema surely is

She is regular, never constipated. She did have times where her stool was looser than ideal (but still not diarrhea). I think that was also related to vitamin-enriched (particularly vitamin A) milk.

She doesn't seem to mind the eye patch. So far, 2 hour per day or so.

Jackrabbit

There is an article by Ray that discusses eyes, where he suggests applying thyroid directly into the eye could be beneficial. It definitely seems there is a connection between thyroid and eye health, although I am decidedly hypothyroid yet have always had perfect vision. So go figure. Lately, however I have gotten to be 40 and my eyes have bumps on the lens which appear to be dryness related. Anyhow I hope your daughter’s eye is greatly improved and I do recommend you search that article as it may reveal clues for you about her overall health.

lampofred

I've read a study saying strabismus is caused by low GABA/inhibitory tone and that normal levels of GABA are needed for proper development of optical nerves. Specifically, low GABA = excess glutamate = excess acetylcholine tone which leads to an imbalance in brain hemisphere processing which leads to unaligned eyes.

That's the theoretical cause I read, but I don't know what can be done to fix it because I would bet GABA-ergic substances are unhealthy to give to a child. Also, I've read that GABA acts differently in children than in adults (excitatory in children, inhibitory in adults). So maybe best to ask Peat himself.

I think eczema also has something to do with excess serotonin/glutamate/excitation and low thyroid/dopamine/GABA.

Beastmode

My 3 year old daughter has a strabismus- estropia (one eye turns inward).

OD gave the typical recommendations: try an eye patch on the stronger eye (to strengthen the weaker eye). If that doesn't help, glasses. If that doesn't work, surgery. All the conventional knowledge seems to be set on treating it as a defect in the eye and/or brain, but I feel something is being missed, especially from a bioenergetic point of view.

Some sources say an infection might be the cause, but there are no other signs of that.

She is healthy otherwise. Born at 42 weeks, 90+ percentiles in height, weight, head circumference since birth. Hit all developmental milestones early. Eat's well (as well as a toddler's diet could be). Sleeps well. Plenty of time outdoors in the sun, all incandescent lights in our house. She does have a history of some mild eczema, which I'm beginning to think might be related to vitamin-enriched milk.

Her estropia is new within the past 6 months or so.

What else might be overlooked here?

I was born with it. Unfortunately, back in the late 70's doctors were giving the same exact advice (crap.) It still comes and goes for me 35+ years later, but if it were my child I would definitely rule out thyroid dysfunction (eye problems are common red flags.) It took me until the past few years to realize how hypothyroid I was my entire life. I remember eating something like oysters for the first time and my vision improving within an hour. It could be the simplest thing like a lack of vitamin a (ie.- some weekly liver.)

I would email Ray personally about something like this. He tends to get right after the source given enough information.

Aymen

I was born with it. Unfortunately, back in the late 70's doctors were giving the same exact advice (crap.) It still comes and goes for me 35+ years later, but if it were my child I would definitely rule out thyroid dysfunction (eye problems are common red flags.) It took me until the past few years to realize how hypothyroid I was my entire life. I remember eating something like oysters for the first time and my vision improving within an hour. It could be the simplest thing like a lack of vitamin a (ie.- some weekly liver.)

I would email Ray personally about something like this. He tends to get right after the source given enough information.
the cause of strabismus is still uncommon , i emailed a health researcher and he told me to put a drop of T3 in my eye .
Unfortunately , i was born with it too (exotropia )when i was 7 years old , my family don't have any type of strabismus but i suspect it could be something in the genetic or neurons , long story and i emailed dr peat , he told me:
his first message :
Have you tried wearing a patch over your right eye to accustom your brain to binocular vision? Have you tried wearing a prism lens?

his second message :
I think a few hours a day wearing a patch would, over a period of several weeks, help to balance the dominance of the eyes, so they could work together. A stereoscopic photograph viewer, with adjustable positioning of the photographs, would allow prolonged use of both eyes together.

you can buy a stereoscopic photograph viewer and try it yourself ( i can't buy from amazon ) :
https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Stereoscope-Viewer-finished-assembled/dp/B003XKMIHC

another message about stereoscope from dr peat : The stereoscope, properly adjusted, gives you the experience of binocular depth perception, though it lacks motion, which is an important part of habitual depth perception.

i tried the patch for 2 hours everyday but it was boring , i could just stare at computer until the hours pass and then remove it but i think doing eye patch and staring at the sky or nature is more effective for the eye , it takes time so will try it next summer with the patch again without using computer .

dr peat says : I think it’s good to repeatedly do things that allow the use of both eyes, to develop muscle strength.

another message:
I think even a short daily use of eye patch would be helpful, since the muscles gain strength as the nerves gradually habituate to binocular vision.

another message :
I knew someone who did it after a few months wearing prism lenses.

last message :
As a long-time high myope, I have noticed that I can reduce visual fatigue and anxiety with supplements of pregnenolone, thyroid, and other things as needed.

the only thing i,m sure about is you can fix strabismus during childhood with eye patch if you are serious , i did it one day and then the eye got misaligned again , so i gave up and now i regret , it's hard to fix it now but it's possible , we need science !

Beastmode

the cause of strabismus is still uncommon , i emailed a health researcher and he told me to put a drop of T3 in my eye .
Unfortunately , i was born with it too (exotropia )when i was 7 years old , my family don't have any type of strabismus but i suspect it could be something in the genetic or neurons , long story and i emailed dr peat , he told me:
his first message :
Have you tried wearing a patch over your right eye to accustom your brain to binocular vision? Have you tried wearing a prism lens?

his second message :
I think a few hours a day wearing a patch would, over a period of several weeks, help to balance the dominance of the eyes, so they could work together. A stereoscopic photograph viewer, with adjustable positioning of the photographs, would allow prolonged use of both eyes together.

you can buy a stereoscopic photograph viewer and try it yourself ( i can't buy from amazon ) :
https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Stereoscope-Viewer-finished-assembled/dp/B003XKMIHC

another message about stereoscope from dr peat : The stereoscope, properly adjusted, gives you the experience of binocular depth perception, though it lacks motion, which is an important part of habitual depth perception.

i tried the patch for 2 hours everyday but it was boring , i could just stare at computer until the hours pass and then remove it but i think doing eye patch and staring at the sky or nature is more effective for the eye , it takes time so will try it next summer with the patch again without using computer .

dr peat says : I think it’s good to repeatedly do things that allow the use of both eyes, to develop muscle strength.

another message:
I think even a short daily use of eye patch would be helpful, since the muscles gain strength as the nerves gradually habituate to binocular vision.

another message :
I knew someone who did it after a few months wearing prism lenses.

last message :
As a long-time high myope, I have noticed that I can reduce visual fatigue and anxiety with supplements of pregnenolone, thyroid, and other things as needed.

the only thing i,m sure about is you can fix strabismus during childhood with eye patch if you are serious , i did it one day and then the eye got misaligned again , so i gave up and now i regret , it's hard to fix it now but it's possible , we need science !

His advice is usually helpful if followed through.

That device you mention is something a behavioral optometrist had me use for a few months for my eye stuff. I was in my mid 30's and it didn't seem to help much in combination with the other exercises he had me do.

It wasn't until I visited a functional neurologist (Dr. David Traster- based in Chicago now) who really helped me with mine. It's not completely sorted, but what I really need is an immersion with the dr. so there's enough intensity and repetition for some plasticity to happen.

Peat's recommendations with the pregnenolone was one he mentioned to me as well. Given the age of your child, thyroid might be the trick as it may be what's needed from a bioenergetic standpoint.

DM me if you ever want to chat about this. Vision has been a lifelong exploration for me.

Aymen

His advice is usually helpful if followed through.

That device you mention is something a behavioral optometrist had me use for a few months for my eye stuff. I was in my mid 30's and it didn't seem to help much in combination with the other exercises he had me do.

It wasn't until I visited a functional neurologist (Dr. David Traster- based in Chicago now) who really helped me with mine. It's not completely sorted, but what I really need is an immersion with the dr. so there's enough intensity and repetition for some plasticity to happen.

Peat's recommendations with the pregnenolone was one he mentioned to me as well. Given the age of your child, thyroid might be the trick as it may be what's needed from a bioenergetic standpoint.

DM me if you ever want to chat about this. Vision has been a lifelong exploration for me.
ok i will .

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

@Aymen @BEASTMODE
She did the patch for a few weeks, then we started seeing a different eye doctor who specializes in vision therapy & rehab, who prefers different approaches.
She's doing vision therapy and occupational therapy now. Both of which seem to be helping her greatly. (in fact, I think VT and OT can probably be useful for anyone nowadays, no matter what age)

Strabismus is still noticeable at times, like when she's sleepy, but it's definitely better.

I doubt it's a lack of vitamin A, as she's eaten liverwurst since around 10 months old. In fact, I'm worried about too much vitamin A now, after going through the Genereux thread. I may post about that separately.

She's generally always been healthy, as in full term+ (42 weeks), surpassed all her milestones early, excels in school and sports, eats well, regular bowel movements. But there is something else going on probably. Around the same time the strabismus started showing up, other symptoms slowly crept in, namely teeth grinding, snoring, eczema. Hence why I'm starting to be suspicious of vitamin A.

Aymen

@Aymen @BEASTMODE
She did the patch for a few weeks, then we started seeing a different eye doctor who specializes in vision therapy & rehab, who prefers different approaches.
She's doing vision therapy and occupational therapy now. Both of which seem to be helping her greatly. (in fact, I think VT and OT can probably be useful for anyone nowadays, no matter what age)

Strabismus is still noticeable at times, like when she's sleepy, but it's definitely better.

I doubt it's a lack of vitamin A, as she's eaten liverwurst since around 10 months old. In fact, I'm worried about too much vitamin A now, after going through the Genereux thread. I may post about that separately.

She's generally always been healthy, as in full term+ (42 weeks), surpassed all her milestones early, excels in school and sports, eats well, regular bowel movements. But there is something else going on probably. Around the same time the strabismus started showing up, other symptoms slowly crept in, namely teeth grinding, snoring, eczema. Hence why I'm starting to be suspicious of vitamin A.
nice to hear that !
i used to have eczema , i think it's caused by vitamin A deficiency and high prolactin, so liver can help for sure .

Beastmode

@Aymen @BEASTMODE

Seems like you got some good insight. Considering the other symptoms that started at the same time and you notice it happening when she's sleepy.

Practitioners like optometrist, neurologist, etc can provide good input that may be helpful in my experience. Without the "fuel" aspect (i.e- metabolically supportive nutrients,) I think that's why most don't get the results from the input like they were hoping. I can say in my personal experience, my vision improved the most by the combination.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals