Should cysteine and taurine both be avoided or minimized?

Dr. B

Isn't Cysteine, along with tryptophan, methionine, and arginine the 4 main amino acids Ray advises limiting. He agrees they're essential in some amount, but advises putting strict limits on them. I think he said just a few hundred milligrams for tryptophan in one of the podcasts.
Isn't Taurine manufactured in the body using cysteine? So by limiting cysteine you're automatically strongly limiting taurine synthesis? Taurine is in some foods, but not in much of an amount. I think it's higher in raw meats, lower in cooked. And there's not much in dairy or eggs iirc. So how come Taurine is considered Peaty whereas Cysteine is not?

OP
D

Dr. B

i forgot to add Peat said he doesnt advise supplementing taurine, that the foods he recommends contain it. he mentioned foods like cheese, shellfish, liver and milk. those foods would only contribute maybe 300mg to 500mg taurine daily. i think taurine is made via cysteine, b6, and possibly other things in the body.
supplement/nutrient websites state most taurine is manufactured by the body, since amounts in food are small.

I think Peat also likes limiting histidine

Last edited:

PeskyPeater

you might see taurine being advisd on this forum but it is not Peaty. he not recommend it. If you look at the metabolic pathway cysteine is converted to taurine and CO2. So logically when suppl taurine you wil not have this CO2 and end up with more methionine or cysteine metabolites by disturbing this pathway.
Such is the reasoning for Dr Peat advise against taking isolated amino acids. Also their production contaminants are problem with regular use.
240537.fig.001.jpg

OP
D

Dr. B

you might see taurine being advisd on this forum but it is not Peaty. he not recommend it. If you look at the metabolic pathway cysteine is converted to taurine and CO2. So logically when suppl taurine you wil not have this CO2 and end up with more methionine or cysteine metabolites by disturbing this pathway.
Such is the reasoning for Dr Peat advise against taking isolated amino acids. Also their production contaminants are problem with regular use.
240537.fig.001.jpg
yep i asked specifically about taurine, he didnt say its good or bad but said the foods he recommends contains it and he doesnt advise supplementing
would this effect youre talking about apply to dietary taurine dont shellfish have much higher taurine than like milk and meat

i got bloating and constipation from taurine and some fatigue, didnt know the background mechanism.

going off what youre saying would beta alanine be useful to use since it could potentially, deplete taurine, and then force the body to convert more cysteine into c02 and taurine, meaning beta alanine effectively is boosting co2 then?

lepetitcheval

good brand cottage cheese seems to increase bowel movements / per day and improves my temps pulse. I know that cottage cheese is high in taurine. Maybe the devil is in the details as far as supplements are concerned?

curious what @haidut makes of this chart? In presence of sufficient b6:b12 would taurine help clear out (metabolize???) excess cysteine?

OP
D

Dr. B

good brand cottage cheese seems to increase bowel movements / per day and improves my temps pulse. I know that cottage cheese is high in taurine. Maybe the devil is in the details as far as supplements are concerned?

curious what @haidut makes of this chart? In presence of sufficient b6:b12 would taurine help clear out (metabolize???) excess cysteine?
isnt it cysteine plus b6 that makes taurine, so supplementing b6 could help that?

i think certain b vitamins are also needed to turn tryptophan towards niacin instead of serotonin? i cant remember which Bs those were

PeskyPeater

yep i asked specifically about taurine, he didnt say its good or bad but said the foods he recommends contains it and he doesnt advise supplementing
would this effect youre talking about apply to dietary taurine dont shellfish have much higher taurine than like milk and meat

i got bloating and constipation from taurine and some fatigue, didnt know the background mechanism.

going off what youre saying would beta alanine be useful to use since it could potentially, deplete taurine, and then force the body to convert more cysteine into c02 and taurine, meaning beta alanine effectively is boosting co2 then?

no worries, doesnt apply to taurine from food that comes with proportional amino acids. just isolated taurine.
I dont know if bet alanine could depete taurine, dont this so, there are alternative pathways involved in creaking down cysteine.

OP
D

Dr. B

no worries, doesnt apply to taurine from food that comes with proportional amino acids. just isolated taurine.
I dont know if bet alanine could depete taurine, dont this so, there are alternative pathways involved in creaking down cysteine.
b6 increases co2 if it encourages cysteine to convert to taurine then?
what helps turn tryptophan to niacin instead of serotonin

PeskyPeater

b6 increases co2 if it encourages cysteine to convert to taurine then?
Can only speculate, Im not a bio-synthesis expert. But relative high protein intake without a deficiency in cysteine in the diet should help prevent it from breaking down into toxic metabolites.
reducing estrogen helps prevent tryptophan turning into bad metabolites.

Gustav3Y

What helps or what dictates?
Would not be surprised if there was a genetic component to that, I know on this forum genetics are non-existent as a subject matter, but genetics cannot be ignored, someone with high melanin will be someone with high melanin due to genetics, just as there are vitamin related issues due to genetic issues (Riboflavin transporter deficiency may be caused by mutations in the SLC52A2 or SLC52A3 genes. Inheritance is autosomal recessive.)

frannybananny

i forgot to add Peat said he doesnt advise supplementing taurine, that the foods he recommends contain it. he mentioned foods like cheese, shellfish, liver and milk. those foods would only contribute maybe 300mg to 500mg taurine daily. i think taurine is made via cysteine, b6, and possibly other things in the body.
supplement/nutrient websites state most taurine is manufactured by the body, since amounts in food are small.

I think Peat also likes limiting histidine
Any opinions here about Magnesium Taurate? I take it at night sometimes to help me sleep. "

"Magnesium taurate contains an amino acid called taurine, which has a calming, neuroprotective, and anti-inflammatory effect in the brain. Taurine also appears to help the magnesium enter the brain."

OP
D

Dr. B

Any opinions here about Magnesium Taurate? I take it at night sometimes to help me sleep. "

"Magnesium taurate contains an amino acid called taurine, which has a calming, neuroprotective, and anti-inflammatory effect in the brain. Taurine also appears to help the magnesium enter the brain."
it might be a small amount
magnesium glycine is 700mg glycine per 100mg magnesium... but the amount of the amino acid varies depending on the type

BearWithMe

Magnesium Taurate contains 8.9% elemental magnesium by mass. That translates to 1123mg of taurine per 100mg of elemental Magnesium.

1000mg of taurine is plenty, but the unique benefits of Magnesium Taurate might outweight the cons of Taurine.

I would not use it long term, though.

OP
D

Dr. B

Magnesium Taurate contains 8.9% elemental magnesium by mass. That translates to 1123mg of taurine per 100mg of elemental Magnesium.

1000mg of taurine is plenty, but the unique benefits of Magnesium Taurate might outweight the cons of Taurine.

do you know the details for magnesium citrate and aspartate? where are you getting the values mate?

Ray said in a recent interview that magnesium glycinate seems to be one of the better tolerated forms of magnesium. It's more common for the body to encounter gram doses of glycine than of taurine.

OP
D

Dr. B

Ray said in a recent interview that magnesium glycinate seems to be one of the better tolerated forms of magnesium. It's more common for the body to encounter gram doses of glycine than of taurine.
hes said magnesium aspartate is safe before. but said to be mindful of the amount.
aspartate also, you get grams of, even more than glycine right... unless gelatin heavy, doesnt whey, milk and meat have much more aspartate than glycine or cysteine or methionine or arginine

hes said magnesium aspartate is safe before. but said to be mindful of the amount.
aspartate also, you get grams of, even more than glycine right... unless gelatin heavy, doesnt whey, milk and meat have much more aspartate than glycine or cysteine or methionine or arginine
True, ground beef, for example, has about 50% more aspartate than glycine. Milk has about 3 times more. Was it in an interview or in an email that Ray said magnesium aspartate was okay?

OP
D

Dr. B

True, ground beef, for example, has about 50% more aspartate than glycine. Milk has about 3 times more. Was it in an interview or in an email that Ray said magnesium aspartate was okay?
email he said amount aspartate in a single capsule is small but his friend used lots of calcium and magnesium aspartate and got seizures from it..
i personally when i used the recommended dose of zma, 450mg mag aspartate, 10.5mg b6 pyridoxine hcl, 30mg zinc, i got damn facial twitches randomly mate it was embarrassing i was talking to my friends and face starts twitching so i then have to run away and pretend i was about to sneeze or something its awkward...
dont know if its b6 or the aspartate excess causing the facial twitches...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals