Seeking Help to Boost Neurotrophic Factors for Spinal Cord Regeneration

Thalgo

Hello everyone,

I am researching ways to promote neurotrophic factors for spinal cord regeneration and overall nervous system health. Neurotrophic factors play a crucial role in the development, survival, and function of neurons, and I'm interested in learning about any approaches, supplements, or therapies that might help boost their levels. I'd appreciate any suggestions or experiences you might have to share.

Here's a summary of the main neurotrophic factors I'm focusing on, along with some approaches I've found so far:

1. Nerve Growth Factor (NGF):
- Supplements: Lion's Mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus)

2. Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF):
- Supplements: Curcumin, green tea extract (EGCG), omega-3 fatty acids, and magnesium
- Exercise: Regular physical activity
- Sleep: Adequate sleep
- Diet: Balanced diet rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids
- Intermittent fasting.
- Stress reduction.
- Drugs: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)

3. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF):
- Drugs: GDNF mimetics or GDNF gene therapy (still under investigation)

4. Neurotrophin-3 (NT-3):
- Drugs: NT-3 protein administration or gene therapy (still under investigation)

5. Neurotrophin-4/5 (NT-4/5):
- No specific approaches identified yet

Additionally, I've come across some alternative therapies, such as breathing molecular hydrogen, Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy, and the DENAS pcm-6 device, but the evidence for their direct impact on neurotrophic factors or spinal cord regeneration is limited.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried any of these approaches or has suggestions for other methods to promote neurotrophic factors. Please share your experiences, recommendations, or any relevant research you may have come across.

Thanks

lamassu

Progesterone i believe is neuroprotective, perhaps neurotrophic. I think keeping inflammation at bay is also helpful in these conditions. I've seen Ray recommend losartan, progesterone, and cyproheptadine for those purposes. Thyroid/metabolic support is likely helpful as well

@Thalgo For regeneration I think only gene therapy and stem cells would work. However you can engage as I am with using neuro protective stuff and slowing the progression as much as possible by decreasing overall inflammation and maintaining a redox efficient state (you don't necessarily have to be high on antioxidants as they may be doing the opposite). I think progesterone, methylene blue and topical vitamin D are promising... if you can handle androgens too. There are medications like cerebrolysin and cortexin that you can consider for these purposes. I haven't tried them yet. They are made from the pig's brain. As always, the overall picture must be looked at otherwise you risk more harm than good... especially if self-taught. Good luck!

Layne

Methylene Blue is neuroprotective, and has so many other benefits.

@Layne Yes, I indicated it. There are also probably oxidizing agents and antioxidants that could help…but taken in isolation. Methylene blue itself can act as both an antioxidant and an oxidizer...depending on the redox balance.

cs3000

Best to keep balanced though , e.g tipping the balance by flooding BDNF increase too much can induce seizures

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals