Saturated Fats Make More Potent Endotoxin?

Vinny

The Chinese herb Si Wu Tang seemed to increase the endotoxin effects. It may be working as an antibiotic and increasing the die-off. So I stopped it after a day. It may still be helpful for its antibiotic effects one day.

First of all, I have to be patient with resolving this endotoxin issue. As measured as I was, I wasn't able to keep myself from falling into the trap of overdosing. This led to the endotoxin storm. Instead of solving my high blood pressure, I now have to first deal with the fallout from this storm - blood sugar issues of which overweight is a symptom. Now, I'm using taurine and gelatin - taurine to improve glycogen production (while minimimizing urinary albumin loss) and gelatin to improve the detoxing ability of the liver, which can be overwhelmed by endotoxins. I'm also taking long chain saturated fats such as cocoa butter and stearyl alcohol - to increase chylomicrons which transport endotoxins to the liver for excretion. Also continue taking cooked green leaves, as the insoluble cellulose fiber helps absorb the bile and endotoxins that come with it, to minimize endotoxins from recirculating back with digestion (as bile is used to emulsify dietary fats). I continue with drinking fruit juices for potassium and sugar, and I continue drinking milk and taking eggshell powder (with coffee and milk).

Along with that, I'm building blood volume as I believe my blood volume has gone even lower due to the endotoxin storm. For that to happen, I eat more meat, and I find ways to minimize the usage of albumin to deal with the effects of endotoxin (albumin is used as an anti-oxidant; albumin also binds to endotoxins to transport endotoxins out of the body; low albumin leads to low blood volume). I take more vitamin C to keep albumin from being used as an anti-oxidant.

I hope all this will get my blood sugar control back. Once it's back, I can start to fast and be assured I'm not going to get sick from having low blood sugar. With a dry fast, I hope to see my blood pressure go down as a confirmation that my body is producing a protein called LL-37, which is useful in deactivating endotoxins. I hope to slowly increase my dry fasting length, so that I could reach a dry fast length of 4 days.

I hope to see my CBC blood test monocyte level go down from 7% to 2-3%, which I think is a good measure of endotoxin levels in my blood.

I hope to get another Chinese herb blend that is more of an endotoxin antagonist/neutralizer/deactivator than an antibiotic. Will have to order one to see if it can help. Will have to buy and try.

Since you also have a lot of foam in your pee, it would interest you to know that I monitor the amount of foam in my pee. I hope that they will subsde, and when they do, I believe it's because no more albumin is being excreted, and I think that it can only happen when bacteria and endotoxins are at low enough levels in the blood that not much albumin in used up to counter their effects, and at this stage, serum albumin is less likely to be excreted through urine.
Thank you, good man. Very profound. Many questions answered. It seems you,re not far from solving your condition. Good luck.
I also had high blood pressure yers ago, and it still happens sometimes, but it never crossed my mind to connect it with endotoxin. Regarding that, let me just ask you if I got it right:
The foamy urine is excreted albumin.
Low albumin causes HIGH blood pressure.
High albumin brings the BP down.
To prevent loss of albumin, we take vit C.
Correct?

yerrag

Taurine also plays a big role in WBC-neutrophils, which would, in the least, help with the inflammatory response and blood pathogens. Were your neutrophils in range in your labs?
In what way does taurine play a role w/r to wbc-neutrophils?

I got new results today on my CBC. I was dismayed that my wbc went up from 6.63 to 7.64, and my neutrophils slightly up from 65.80 to 66.60. These values can be considered normal under the current standard of care (the values used by doctors in hospitals and clinics), the latest values are slightly above range under Dr. Weatherby's functional medicine values: wbc 5 - 7.5 and neutrophils 40-60%. And by Dr. Tom Lewis' standards, he sees wbc of 4-6 as optimal.

I wouldn't be too concerned about my wbc-neutrophils normally, but they're an indication of infection, and while those values indicate a state of low-level infection, a high (not by normal pathological standards, but by low-level inflammation standards) value is always going to mean energy is expended on phagocytosis and ROS production, as well as a constant churn of endotoxins from the die-off of bacteria. The endotoxins would then be a regular source of inflammation, and my monocytes value, the latest at 6.9, while seemingly optimal by Dr. Weatherby's standards (0- 7%), still seems too high to me. I had monocyte of 3% when I had normal blood pressure 17 years ago. And I'd still like that to go lower, if I can help it.

9g/day is hefty dose. I could probably do that, but my stools would probably turn to sludge within a week from excess bile. I'm currently on a more maintenance dose at about 10g total a week. That's only because I create my own isolated protein mix (a bit different than the MPS mix made popular by Haidut and used around here).
I'll stay with 9g/day for now. Will see if it turns to slow by day 7, but so far so good.

I'm actually going to try Ray's mushroom soup tonight to see if it helps. I'm still in a little bit of a recovery from Thanksgiving holiday. I've taken a spoonful of charcoal about 3x in the past week for good measure. Oatmeal seems to help as well. My theory on insoluble fiber is it helps to remove endotoxin before LDL is needed to clear it. Endotoxin blocks "receptors" in the liver that prevents LDL clearance and that's why fiber tends lower cholesterol (or it could just be the beta glucans, which are also found in mushrooms). If this is the case, then I don't see why LPS wouldn't block other activities in the liver that has systemic effects. My blood sugar and pressure has always been in check, though.

I can say that losing weight can be an issue for me. I don't try to lose weight to lose weight, but only if I can minimize muscle loss. I've noticed that the only times it seems I can accomplish this is when I can lower my endotoxin burden (I'm not personally a fan of fasting even though the gut rest is probably beneficial). It's remarkable really. Lowering my load can be a real challenge and I have not always taken it as seriously as I do now.

I'm beginning to think that lowering the endotoxin load is the first hurdle to overcome in losing weight. Today after a meal I felt very low on energy. I still feel that the endotoxin storm I had from 4 months ago is still weighing on me unresolved. To see if I can get some energy, I drank 2 glasses of pineapple juice. Bam! I was reborn. I think it's the potassium in the pineapple (or any ripe fruit for that matter) that overcame the tissues' resistance to absorb and metabolize sugar (that comes with fruit). Add to that the sugar is more of less half fructose and half glucose, and the combo helps with sugar absorption/metabolism. My lunch meal was lamb and rice. While normally that's a good combo as meat contains lots of potassium, this time it wasn't enough to overcome the endotoxin load in my tissues. So, I may try a meal of lamb with pineapple juice that's a calorie equivalent of rice to see how that goes. I'll also try a meal with plain cane sugar, just to see if not having the potassium makes a difference.

And another with a long chain saturated fat (LCFA) - I think beef tallow would be perfect. It has to be long chain and not medium chain such as coconut oil as I become empty quickly on VCO. VCO metabolizes too quickly it seems, as it goes directly to the liver. LCFA has to be packaged into chylomicrons, and goes into general circulation, and along the way it also transports endotoxins to the liver, where it's processed as part of bile to be excreted. I'll be relying on beta oxidation for energy, and I'm going keto here.

And now I'm thinking that maybe an overlooked reason why keto diets make people lose weight is that fats remove endotoxins from our body. If I were to go keto this way for a temporary period, I may be able to clean my system of endotoxins, and I could go back to a regular carb-based life afterwards. This may work. It's only seeing how I created this endotoxin storm for myself unintentionally 4 months ago, and seeing myself balloon, that I'm convinced of the fattening power of endotoxins. And knowing that chylomicrons transports endotoxins to the liver for excretion, what better way would be to get rid of our body's endotoxin stores?

This is the first time I've though of a keto diet in a positive way. But perhaps there is a rhyme and reason to that diet, if we're to see it as just a transition diet towards an endotoxin-free existence. I doubt though that we would ever be free of the harmful effects of endotoxin, given how, as explained earlier by @CLASH, our food animals are grown on food that makes them fat through endotoxin generation in their guts. Aren't we resigned to our fate of being omnivores wedded to endotoxin-full meat, or to the alternative herbivore existence that we so abhor, for reasons valid or invalid?

Last edited:

yerrag

Thank you, good man. Very profound. Many questions answered. It seems you,re not far from solving your condition. Good luck.
Thanks Vinny. I hope so too!
I also had high blood pressure yers ago, and it still happens sometimes, but it never crossed my mind to connect it with endotoxin. Regarding that, let me just ask you if I got it right:
The foamy urine is excreted albumin.
Low albumin causes HIGH blood pressure.
High albumin brings the BP down.
To prevent loss of albumin, we take vit C.
Correct?
Yes, the foamy urine is excreted albumin, in my case. Ray Peat says it's estrogen detoxed by the liver though. So it really would depend on the context. If I take a urine ACR (albumin creatinine ratio) test, it would show I have albumin coming out. Thankfully, so far, it's in an early stage, called microalbuminuria insteald of albuminuria.

Ray Peat has talked of low blood volume causing high blood pressure. He also talked about salt intake helping increase blood volume, and he has talked of albumin being important in attracting and retaining sodium in plasma. So taking salt would be useless if serum albumin were low as salt would simply be excreted.

I used to look at my serum albumin test to determine if I have adequate serum albumin stores. But now I think it's misleading as it gives me a false sense of comfort. Using the serum test solely is useful if the blood volume were normal, but if the blood volume were low, serum albumin stores would actually be lower than the impression the serum test gives. For example, which contains more albumin , 4 liters of blood or 5 liters of blood from the same person? In order to get an idea of my blood volume, I look at the CBC test values rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit. If they are very high high, then I have very low blood volume. And if I have very low blood volume, my albumin stores would more likely be very low, even if my serum album test shows it to be within normal range.

I take vitamin C to increase the anti-oxidant stores in my body so that I spare albumin from being oxidized and being used up. Having high wbc and neutrophils indicate there's phagocytosis going on, and the spillover oxidative stress it creates has to be quelled by anti-oxidants such as glutathione, uric acid, and albumin.

I also take more long chain sat fats to increase chylomicrons that transport endotoxins out of the blood into the liver to be disposed of through bile. I take insoluble fibers to keep the endotoxins from being recirculated back through bile, which is used for emusifying fats during digestion. This eases the burden of using albumin to bind endotoxins for eventual excretion through the liver.

I also take taurine as taurine helps with keeping albumin from being excreted in urine.

But so far, I'm failing to make a dent and my urine still produces a lot of foamy urine.

NathanK

Thanks Vinny. I hope so too!

Yes, the foamy urine is excreted albumin, in my case. Ray Peat says it's estrogen detoxed by the liver though. So it really would depend on the context. If I take a urine ACR (albumin creatinine ratio) test, it would show I have albumin coming out. Thankfully, so far, it's in an early stage, called microalbuminuria insteald of albuminuria.

Ray Peat has talked of low blood volume causing high blood pressure. He also talked about salt intake helping increase blood volume, and he has talked of albumin being important in attracting and retaining sodium in plasma. So taking salt would be useless if serum albumin were low as salt would simply be excreted.

I used to look at my serum albumin test to determine if I have adequate serum albumin stores. But now I think it's misleading as it gives me a false sense of comfort. Using the serum test solely is useful if the blood volume were normal, but if the blood volume were low, serum albumin stores would actually be lower than the impression the serum test gives. For example, which contains more albumin , 4 liters of blood or 5 liters of blood from the same person? In order to get an idea of my blood volume, I look at the CBC test values rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit. If they are very high high, then I have very low blood volume. And if I have very low blood volume, my albumin stores would more likely be very low, even if my serum album test shows it to be within normal range.

I take vitamin C to increase the anti-oxidant stores in my body so that I spare albumin from being oxidized and being used up. Having high wbc and neutrophils indicate there's phagocytosis going on, and the spillover oxidative stress it creates has to be quelled by anti-oxidants such as glutathione, uric acid, and albumin.

I also take more long chain sat fats to increase chylomicrons that transport endotoxins out of the blood into the liver to be disposed of through bile. I take insoluble fibers to keep the endotoxins from being recirculated back through bile, which is used for emusifying fats during digestion. This eases the burden of using albumin to bind endotoxins for eventual excretion through the liver.

I also take taurine as taurine helps with keeping albumin from being excreted in urine.

But so far, I'm failing to make a dent and my urine still produces a lot of foamy urine.
I think it's not that uncommon to have foamy urine in the morning as you excrete from a night of fasting. From my experience, taking extra exogenous aminos can actually cause more foam. IIRC, it's more common in diabetics.

I don't recall about the neutrofils as I wrote it in a spreadsheet a while ago. Taurine is one of the most abundant aminos in the body used in many processes. In a cursory search I found this: [Role of taurine in neutrophil function]. - PubMed - NCBI

Keto diet can be therapeutic in the short run. I tried it about 6 years ago for a few weeks and it just never suited me. Good luck with it and I hope it helps.

CLASH

I got new results today on my CBC. I was dismayed that my wbc went up from 6.63 to 7.64, and my neutrophils slightly up from 65.80 to 66.60. These values can be considered normal under the current standard of care (the values used by doctors in hospitals and clinics), the latest values are slightly above range under Dr. Weatherby's functional medicine values: wbc 5 - 7.5 and neutrophils 40-60%. And by Dr. Tom Lewis' standards, he sees wbc of 4-6 as optimal.

I wouldn't be too concerned about my wbc-neutrophils normally, but they're an indication of infection, and while those values indicate a state of low-level infection, a high (not by normal pathological standards, but by low-level inflammation standards) value is always going to mean energy is expended on phagocytosis and ROS production, as well as a constant churn of endotoxins from the die-off of bacteria. The endotoxins would then be a regular source of inflammation, and my monocytes value, the latest at 6.9, while seemingly optimal by Dr. Weatherby's standards (0- 7%), still seems too high to me. I had monocyte of 3% when I had normal blood pressure 17 years ago. And I'd still like that to go lower, if I can help it.

I'll stay with 9g/day for now. Will see if it turns to slow by day 7, but so far so good.

I'm beginning to think that lowering the endotoxin load is the first hurdle to overcome in losing weight. Today after a meal I felt very low on energy. I still feel that the endotoxin storm I had from 4 months ago is still weighing on me unresolved. To see if I can get some energy, I drank 2 glasses of pineapple juice. Bam! I was reborn. I think it's the potassium in the pineapple (or any ripe fruit for that matter) that overcame the tissues' resistance to absorb and metabolize sugar (that comes with fruit). Add to that the sugar is more of less half fructose and half glucose, and the combo helps with sugar absorption/metabolism. My lunch meal was lamb and rice. While normally that's a good combo as meat contains lots of potassium, this time it wasn't enough to overcome the endotoxin load in my tissues. So, I may try a meal of lamb with pineapple juice that's a calorie equivalent of rice to see how that goes. I'll also try a meal with plain cane sugar, just to see if not having the potassium makes a difference.

And another with a long chain saturated fat (LCFA) - I think beef tallow would be perfect. It has to be long chain and not medium chain such as coconut oil as I become empty quickly on VCO. VCO metabolizes too quickly it seems, as it goes directly to the liver. LCFA has to be packaged into chylomicrons, and goes into general circulation, and along the way it also transports endotoxins to the liver, where it's processed as part of bile to be excreted. I'll be relying on beta oxidation for energy, and I'm going keto here.

And now I'm thinking that maybe an overlooked reason why keto diets make people lose weight is that fats remove endotoxins from our body. If I were to go keto this way for a temporary period, I may be able to clean my system of endotoxins, and I could go back to a regular carb-based life afterwards. This may work. It's only seeing how I created this endotoxin storm for myself unintentionally 4 months ago, and seeing myself balloon, that I'm convinced of the fattening power of endotoxins. And knowing that chylomicrons transports endotoxins to the liver for excretion, what better way would be to get rid of our body's endotoxin stores?

This is the first time I've though of a keto diet in a positive way. But perhaps there is a rhyme and reason to that diet, if we're to see it as just a transition diet towards an endotoxin-free existence. I doubt though that we would ever be free of the harmful effects of endotoxin, given how, as explained earlier by @CLASH, our food animals are grown on food that makes them fat through endotoxin generation in their guts. Aren't we resigned to our fate of being omnivores wedded to endotoxin-full meat, or to the alternative herbivore existence that we so abhor, for reasons valid or invalid?

Have you tried dropping the starch and just sticking with the fruit and meat? I dont think keto is a good idea, especially if your considering some type of infection.

I find coconut oil burns too fast for me as well, so I take it with beef tallow or butter at the same time. I consider coconut oil different from long chain fats, similar to how I consider sugars different from starches.

Is it possible that you created some type of dysbiosis or even fungal overgrowth in the colon from using doxycycline in the past? I used tetracycline in the past and gave myself some colonic issues for a while.

I dont think the meat is filled with endotoxins, unless of course its ground meat. In the studies I've seen steaks have very little endotoxin, especially compared to ground meat. In my experience the biggest contributor to endotoxin for me is starches and certain fibers like inulin or fructooligosaccharides.

yerrag

I think it's not that uncommon to have foamy urine in the morning as you excrete from a night of fasting. From my experience, taking extra exogenous aminos can actually cause more foam. IIRC, it's more common in diabetics.
I'm not only having foamy urine after a night's sleep though, although the urine is much more foamy during the night and after a night's sleep. It's less of an issue if it's glucoronidated hormones such as estrogen being the cause, but an issue when it's albumin. For me, less foam would be a sign there's less albumin being excreted. Since I haven't tested my urine since I started taking taurine, it's possible that the foam could be taurine taking the place of albumin, and that would be a good thing.

So taurine could strengthen the phagocytic activity of neutrophils then, based on the link you shared. I hope an abundance of taurine wouldn't necessarily cause an outsized phagocytic response in neutrophils but merely ensure an adequate phagocytic response.

Do you remember the reasons for you feeling keto didn't suit you? Feeling blah? Poor sleep? Low energy? Low immunity?

yerrag

Have you tried dropping the starch and just sticking with the fruit and meat? I dont think keto is a good idea, especially if your considering some type of infection.
I'm going to try it next week. I'll have bananas, pineapples, mangoes, canteloupe, and coconut water with my meals and see how that goes. It's likely to improve my glucose response and my energy levels, but I'm not so sure if it can help in terms of endotoxin elimination. If it doesn't work, the following week I should try keto and stock up on butter, beef tallow, cocoa butter, and add some VCO to boot. I slept very well last night when I had a scoop of butter before bed. It satisfied my empty feeling that milk, sugar, and salt couldn't (due to the lingering effects of my endotoxin storm; I was good with milk, sugar, salt before then).

Is it possible that you created some type of dysbiosis or even fungal overgrowth in the colon from using doxycycline in the past? I used tetracycline in the past and gave myself some colonic issues for a while.
I did very well on 2x20mg doxy for a month, with and without ZymEssence proteolytic enzymes. My wbc, neutrophils, and monocytes were steady. It even cleared my scalp of sebborheic dermatitis.

When I did 2X100mg doxy, with same ZymEssence dosage, I started to urinate very heavily. My monocytes went up as well, which indicates more macrophage activity dealing with bacteria die-off, or endotoxins. This may be when dysbiosis would occur. But I didn't have any gut issues. My stools were steady as usual, although I was fearful of what the higher dosage would result in.
I dont think the meat is filled with endotoxins, unless of course its ground meat. In the studies I've seen steaks have very little endotoxin, especially compared to ground meat. In my experience the biggest contributor to endotoxin for me is starches and certain fibers like inulin or fructooligosaccharides.

I hope meat isn't filled with endotoxins, not in the way to make an impact. It makes me want to avoid eating the guts especially, but I can't help but think I'm eating endotoxins in the blood vessels that come with the meat. It would be nice if the animals' gut linings are sturdy, and more likely it would as they haven't lived long enough to deteriorate, as that would allow for translocation of endotoxins from the gut to the blood vessels.

Still, I wonder if the carnivorous diets of wild animals keep them from the ravages of endotoxin-related deterioration because the fat-heavy element keeps endotoxins from causing significant damage. This is why I consider the possibility of using keto as part of the answer to dealing with my endotoxin-loaded system. I'm thinking a protocol using proteolytic enzymes, mild dose of antibiotics, and long-chain saturated fats would be helpful in my case.

InChristAlone

My monocytes are always 7 for years even during an infection it doesn't increase and no infection they don't decrease. I have great blood pressure too. Aren't the absolute values more important if they are out of range? I can't remember.

Did you get control over the gum/teeth situation? I think the mouth harbors a lot of infection.

yerrag

My monocytes are always 7 for years even during an infection it doesn't increase and no infection they don't decrease. I have great blood pressure too. Aren't the absolute values more important if they are out of range? I can't remember.

Did you get control over the gum/teeth situation? I think the mouth harbors a lot of infection.
I'm primarily using monocytes as a guide. Monocyte counts increase after a bacterial infection is resolved as the die-off, endotoxins, are being resolved. So, when I compare my monocytes now, which stay steady at 7 usually, and see it jump to 8.5, I can relate that to the after-effect of taking 200mg of doxycycline daily. Still, comparing my regular monocytes to when I had regular blood pressure, at 2002, at 3, it raises some questions. It means that there's a higher constant supply of endotoxins that requires more monocytes that turn into macrophages to deal with it. And this is consistent with a higher wbc and neutrophils count now - 7.64 and 67- compared to 2002 - 5.2 and 53. There is a higher state of low-level infection, which means essentially a general infection existing that does not warrant a fever response.

My context would be different from yours. And I think that in my case, my LPS is being dealt with by albumin binding with LPS into LBP (LPS binding protein) on the way to it being excreted, and this constitutes a heavy use of my serum albumin. The ROS generated by phagocytosis by neutrophils is also an oxidative stress needing the use of albumin as an anti-oxidant. The heavy use of endogenous albumin keeps my serum albumin low enough to not be able to generate higher blood volume. With low blood volume, higher blood pressure is needed (High rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit gives an indication of the extent of low blood volume).

Also, I have plaque from 15+ years of being exposed to periodontal infection unnoticed. It has been resolved recently, but the plaque buildup has also constricted capillary flow in my kidneys (perhaps all organs as well) and this also requires higher blood pressure to compensate. My CBC rdw gives an indication of my capillaries' state of plaque restriction.

My job is to lyse the capillary plaque at a rate that is manageable. This means the release of dormant bacteria has to be slow enough that it can be handled well--not too much bacteria released, and not too much bacteria killed, so that the body isn't overwhelmed. The rate has to be at which the body's anti-oxidant stores are enough to handle the oxidative stress of phagocytic action by neutrophils. And the bacterial die-off--endotoxins--can be transported out of the system without using up albumin stores. So this will allow my body to restore capillary cross-sectional area for good flow at normal blood pressure, and for my blood volume to build up. This will allow me to lower my blood pressure.

InChristAlone

I'm primarily using monocytes as a guide. Monocyte counts increase after a bacterial infection is resolved as the die-off, endotoxins, are being resolved. So, when I compare my monocytes now, which stay steady at 7 usually, and see it jump to 8.5, I can relate that to the after-effect of taking 200mg of doxycycline daily. Still, comparing my regular monocytes to when I had regular blood pressure, at 2002, at 3, it raises some questions. It means that there's a higher constant supply of endotoxins that requires more monocytes that turn into macrophages to deal with it. And this is consistent with a higher wbc and neutrophils count now - 7.64 and 67- compared to 2002 - 5.2 and 53. There is a higher state of low-level infection, which means essentially a general infection existing that does not warrant a fever response.

My context would be different from yours. And I think that in my case, my LPS is being dealt with by albumin binding with LPS into LBP (LPS binding protein) on the way to it being excreted, and this constitutes a heavy use of my serum albumin. The ROS generated by phagocytosis by neutrophils is also an oxidative stress needing the use of albumin as an anti-oxidant. The heavy use of endogenous albumin keeps my serum albumin low enough to not be able to generate higher blood volume. With low blood volume, higher blood pressure is needed (High rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit gives an indication of the extent of low blood volume).

Also, I have plaque from 15+ years of being exposed to periodontal infection unnoticed. It has been resolved recently, but the plaque buildup has also constricted capillary flow in my kidneys (perhaps all organs as well) and this also requires higher blood pressure to compensate. My CBC rdw gives an indication of my capillaries' state of plaque restriction.

My job is to lyse the capillary plaque at a rate that is manageable. This means the release of dormant bacteria has to be slow enough that it can be handled well--not too much bacteria released, and not too much bacteria killed, so that the body isn't overwhelmed. The rate has to be at which the body's anti-oxidant stores are enough to handle the oxidative stress of phagocytic action by neutrophils. And the bacterial die-off--endotoxins--can be transported out of the system without using up albumin stores. So this will allow my body to restore capillary cross-sectional area for good flow at normal blood pressure, and for my blood volume to build up. This will allow me to lower my blood pressure.
Wow I'm amazed by your knowledge of blood counts. Not many feel the need to research that kind of stuff. Sounds like you are doing whats best for your blood pressure and blood vessels. Good for you.

yerrag

Wow I'm amazed by your knowledge of blood counts. Not many feel the need to research that kind of stuff. Sounds like you are doing whats best for your blood pressure and blood vessels. Good for you.
Thanks! I wouldn't have known the use of blood counts until I bought Tom Lewis' book. Some information is still hard to find, even with the internet, and that book really helped. I'll post it later. I find that blood counts are way under-promoted and under-rated. As with all things that don't cost much, they don't get much respect.

NathanK

Do you remember the reasons for you feeling keto didn't suit you? Feeling blah? Poor sleep? Low energy? Low immunity?
I'd already been moderate to lowish carb Paleo with some IF for years and still didn't get the results I wanted. I'd spoken at a conference with a guy named Dave Asprey in 2012 and he kinda planted a seed for me to try it later on. I'd been dealing with stress chest pains and keto and fasting made them worse. When a friend sent me one of Danny Roddy's early ebooks, I dropped the keto experiment almost immediately and I haven't looked back. Carbs and eating regularly made all those pains go away.

Was just reading this article I hadn't seen in a while and ran across this. You know what's best for your own experimentation, but another consideration:
Are Happy Gut Bacteria Key to Weight Loss?
"What about popular weight loss regimes, like the Atkins diet, that emphasize protein? In a 2011 study by scientists at the University of Aberdeen, in Scotland, 17 obese men were given a high-protein, low-carb diet. It prompted a decline of anti-inflammatory microbes, whose fermentation byproducts are critical to colonic health, and produced a microbial profile associated with colon cancer. So although it may prompt rapid weight loss, a high-protein, low-carb diet may predispose people to colon cancer. In the rodent version of this experiment, the addition of a prebiotic starch blunted the carcinogenic effect. Again, it’s not only what’s present in your diet that matters, but also what’s absent."

@NathanK
Thanks for the lipase study, more to add to the lipid based system as an endotoxin detoxifier.

I think endotoxin precedes obesity:

Poor diet -> bacterial issues in the intestine + other issues like nutrient deficiencies, PUFA accumulation, etc. -> obesity and other diseases
Metabolic Endotoxemia Initiates Obesity and Insulin Resistance

Really interesting bit he mentions about the GELDING theory (Gut Endotoxin Leading to a Decline IN Gonadal function). I wonder if the LPS came first or the obesity.
Gut Endotoxin Leading to a Decline IN Gonadal function (GELDING) - a novel theory for the development of late onset hypogonadism in obese men
Follow up to the lower T caused by LPS
Endotoxin-initiated inflammation reduces testosterone production in men of reproductive age Europe PMC

yerrag

@NathanK @CLASH

I've kind of gotten started with taking more LCSFAs in the form of butter and cocoa butter. I'm going full blast next week adding tallow to it. Already, I'm having more bowel movements and I would like to see this as more chylomicrons binding to endotoxins and the liver turning it to bile. While the links @NathanK provide point to saturated fats enabling endotoxins from the gut to translocate to blood and leading to repercussions in endotoxemia, the link I posted Saturated Fats Make More Potent Endotoxin? would say otherwise, showing saturated fats protect the body from endotoxins by causing chylomicrons (and vldl) to bind endotoxins as they get transported to the liver for processing into bile for excretion.

Assuming my gut is not a source of endotoxins, and that my vascular system is a constant source of bacteria from plaque, I have no reason to worry about saturated fat intake being a cause of increased endotoxins in my system, I can only see benefit in long chain saturated fats in lowering systemic exposure to endotoxins. Just the same, I'll cover my bases and add a daily dose of cooked bamboo shoots (cooked with coconut milk) as well as 1 tsp of activated charcoal between meals in the afternoon and before heading to bed.

I'm planning to be on this protocol for 2 weeks. I'll take a CBC test every Saturday to see how my wbc, neutrophils, and monocyte, rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit numbers look. WBC shows if there's a decrease or increase in low-grade infection, which could lower just as a result of the increase in saturated fat intake (which has an antibiotic effect). Ditto with neutrophils. The monocyte, which I use as a proxy for endotoxin exposure, could decrease if chylomicrons (from LCSFA intake) are indeed transporting endotoxins out of the system thru bile and the fecal route, but this effect could be countered by bacterial die-off from the antibiotic effect of saturated fats. Rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit, altogether gives me an idea of my blood volume; the higher the numbers, the lower my blood volume; blood volume increase would show the effect of a lower endotoxin load, as albumin is able to be conserved and this could lead to increased blood volume, given that albumin attracts salt into a complex, and increased salt lead to higher plasma volume; albumin is used to bind endotoxins, and with a lower endotoxin load, albumin gets used up less, and my serum albumin stores increase to enable higher blood volume.

To ensure not a lot of endotoxins in bile gets recycled back as chylomicrons (as bile is used to emulsify LCSFAs during digestion before the LCSFA is packaged into chylomicrons and brought back to circulation through the lymphatic system), I'll be eating raw pineapples before I take LCSFAs during the day. The insoluble fiber would help in binding the endotoxin and ensure more of it is excreted.

Would very much appreciate your comments.

NathanK

@NathanK @CLASH
I've kind of gotten started with taking more LCSFAs in the form of butter and cocoa butter. I'm going full blast next week adding tallow to it. Already, I'm having more bowel movements and I would like to see this as more chylomicrons binding to endotoxins and the liver turning it to bile. While the links @NathanK provide point to saturated fats enabling endotoxins from the gut to translocate to blood and leading to repercussions in endotoxemia, the link I posted Saturated Fats Make More Potent Endotoxin? would say otherwise, showing saturated fats protect the body from endotoxins by causing chylomicrons (and vldl) to bind endotoxins as they get transported to the liver for processing into bile for excretion.
I agree with you, actually. I see the other interpretation, it seems, all over the place.

There is one consideration like the one Ray Medina posted on his GutCritters.com blog post (i'd just read this and posted it elsewhere), which I do agree with:
"Bacteria from the gut always hitches a ride with fat across the intestinal wall. However, potentially dangerous organisms are normally bound by cholesterol in the liver, inactivated and safely excreted through the bile duct and feces. This is all dependent on having a healthy liver, however. If you’re eating ridiculous quantities of fat, especially cholesterol-lowering omega 6 fats in the presence of both a liver that isn’t functioning properly and SIBO, you run the very real risk of exceeding the limits of this bacterial-clearance system."

While saturated fat will increase chylomicrons and other mediators, in a compromised system it could potentially cause issues.

Assuming my gut is not a source of endotoxins, and that my vascular system is a constant source of bacteria from plaque, I have no reason to worry about saturated fat intake being a cause of increased endotoxins in my system, I can only see benefit in long chain saturated fats in lowering systemic exposure to endotoxins. Just the same, I'll cover my bases and add a daily dose of cooked bamboo shoots (cooked with coconut milk) as well as 1 tsp of activated charcoal between meals in the afternoon and before heading to bed.
I am not familiar with vascular endotoxin, but AC multiple times per day for two weeks sounds excessive. RP even mentioned that he is cautious with AC because he worries about questionable manufacturing that could cause it to enter the bloodstream.

albumin is used to bind endotoxins, and with a lower endotoxin load, albumin gets used up less, and my serum albumin stores increase to enable higher blood volume.
Consider something like that MPS mix that Haidut posted around 2016. My albumin is always at the bottom of the range, but my own version of the mix does a good job of raising it to more acceptable levels.

To ensure not a lot of endotoxins in bile gets recycled back as chylomicrons (as bile is used to emulsify LCSFAs during digestion before the LCSFA is packaged into chylomicrons and brought back to circulation through the lymphatic system), I'll be eating raw pineapples before I take LCSFAs during the day. The insoluble fiber would help in binding the endotoxin and ensure more of it is excreted.
That sounds like a good idea. Those extra enzymes will help to break down all that extra fat also. Just make sure your stools are regular.

yerrag

agree with you, actually. I see the other interpretation, it seems, all over the place.

There is one consideration like the one Ray Medina posted on his GutCritters.com blog post (i'd just read this and posted it elsewhere), which I do agree with:
"Bacteria from the gut always hitches a ride with fat across the intestinal wall. However, potentially dangerous organisms are normally bound by cholesterol in the liver, inactivated and safely excreted through the bile duct and feces. This is all dependent on having a healthy liver, however. If you’re eating ridiculous quantities of fat, especially cholesterol-lowering omega 6 fats in the presence of both a liver that isn’t functioning properly and SIBO, you run the very real risk of exceeding the limits of this bacterial-clearance system."

While saturated fat will increase chylomicrons and other mediators, in a compromised system it could potentially cause issues.

Yes, the liver has to be healthy. And I almost forgot to say, I'll have to be conscious that the liver needs both sugar and glycine to be able to do its job of detoxing. I've already started with two meals daily with beef- or pork-based tendons, gelatinized into transparent strips, as appetizers, with an oriental sauce to make it tasty.

Given the focus on reducing endotoxin load, I don't dare risk using gelatin powders, since the endotoxin present from beef hides would add an elements of doubt, and could be a confounding element.

The liver itself has to be cleared off endotoxins and their inflammatory effects from cytokines, which makes the liver sluggish and unable to do its work effectively.

I am not familiar with vascular endotoxin, but AC multiple times per day for two weeks sounds excessive. RP even mentioned that he is cautious with AC because he worries about questionable manufacturing that could cause it to enter the bloodstream.
Thanks for the heads up on the AC. I'll dial it down to just 1 tsp a day, in between lunch and dinner.

Consider something like that MPS mix that Haidut posted around 2016. My albumin is always at the bottom of the range, but my own version of the mix does a good job of raising it to more acceptable levels.

What is MPS? Can't seem to get an answer by searching the forum. I don't think it's methyl palmitate, is it?

That sounds like a good idea. Those extra enzymes will help to break down all that extra fat also. Just make sure your stools are regular.
With the higher intake of sat fats, my bowel movement goes from 1 to 2x/day. Sometimes 3x. The enzymes are a plus.

NathanK

What is MPS? Can't seem to get an answer by searching the forum. I don't think it's methyl palmitate, is it?

With the higher intake of sat fats, my bowel movement goes from 1 to 2x/day. Sometimes 3x. The enzymes are a plus.
Sorry, I may be the only one that calls it’s that. MPS= muscle protein synthesis. Haidut ripped off a product called MAPS and omitted and added certain aminos that he considered Peaty (I don't agree with some of his assumptions). He wrote about it for people who might have issues digesting protein or don't get enough. It's been a while, but I'd search MAPS instead.

There is a Canadian in that thread that created his own version to sell. From what I've heard, it's a pretty good product that people I know have enjoyed. Personally, I don't prefer any of the products, their ratios, and specific aminos used, so I made my own. If you are cautious of gelatin, then I think this would be a solid addition, though, it looks like you already have plenty of glycine in your diet. I only brought it up because you want to bring up your albumin and total protein and this mix is one of the things that has helped me.

yerrag

Sorry, I may be the only one that calls it’s that. MPS= muscle protein synthesis. Haidut ripped off a product called MAPS and omitted and added certain aminos that he considered Peaty (I don't agree with some of his assumptions). He wrote about it for people who might have issues digesting protein or don't get enough. It's been a while, but I'd search MAPS instead.

There is a Canadian in that thread that created his own version to sell. From what I've heard, it's a pretty good product that people I know have enjoyed. Personally, I don't prefer any of the products, their ratios, and specific aminos used, so I made my own. If you are cautious of gelatin, then I think this would be a solid addition, though, it looks like you already have plenty of glycine in your diet. I only brought it up because you want to bring up your albumin and total protein and this mix is one of the things that has helped me.

Thanks for the response. If you think I'm good to go, I'll go with what I have!

CLASH

@NathanK @CLASH

I'm planning to be on this protocol for 2 weeks. I'll take a CBC test every Saturday to see how my wbc, neutrophils, and monocyte, rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit numbers look. WBC shows if there's a decrease or increase in low-grade infection, which could lower just as a result of the increase in saturated fat intake (which has an antibiotic effect). Ditto with neutrophils. The monocyte, which I use as a proxy for endotoxin exposure, could decrease if chylomicrons (from LCSFA intake) are indeed transporting endotoxins out of the system thru bile and the fecal route, but this effect could be countered by bacterial die-off from the antibiotic effect of saturated fats. Rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit, altogether gives me an idea of my blood volume; the higher the numbers, the lower my blood volume; blood volume increase would show the effect of a lower endotoxin load, as albumin is able to be conserved and this could lead to increased blood volume, given that albumin attracts salt into a complex, and increased salt lead to higher plasma volume; albumin is used to bind endotoxins, and with a lower endotoxin load, albumin gets used up less, and my serum albumin stores increase to enable higher blood volume.

Would very much appreciate your comments.

I wouldnt worry about long chain fats bringing endotoxin into circulation. They are protective by the mechanism you stated and they also increase the livers detoxification of endotoxin while increasing cholesterol which also binds and detoxifies endotoxin.

The bamboo shoots could work but i think a raw carrot at each meal can be very helpful as well. I would just take the charcoal before bed, no need to take that much, in my experience its constipating. Perhaps have some cascara on hand just in case.

The saturated fats are protective but i dont think they in and of themselves will get rid of the infection. I think some anti-microbial and anti-biofilm products will be needed.

I know I'm a broken record for you but I'd build up a based of support before you do the anti-microbials and anti-biofilms. Such could include:

-aspirin to protect from the effects of endotoxin

-dessicated thyroid to keep metabolism up and protect from endotoxin

-taurine to help with "fat-based" system, liver and the immune system

-long chain saturated fat sources as you have

-fruits/ 100% juice to lower endotoxin production from the gut and help to protect against the negative effects of the endotoxin in the body

-adequate animal protein to help your liver and kidneys with detoxification/ provide building material for your albumin

-a food based vit C like camu camu, or acerola cherry. Vit C has immune boosting and anti-endotoxin effects

-activated charcoal as you mentioned to pull out the excreted toxins, but I'd also have some type of laxative on hand like cascara

-magnesium gluconate or glycinate to keep the bowels moving

-serrapeptase to break up the biofilms

-monolaurin melted in coconut oil as and antimicrobial

-oregano oil as an anti-microbial

-ceylon cinnamon oil as an anti-microbial

-perhaps some cooked maitake, shiitake to raise your immune function and function as anti-microbials

*I'm hesitant about anti-biotics because of thier ability to disrupt the bodies ecosystem. The other compounds here shouldnt do that.

yerrag

I wouldnt worry about long chain fats bringing endotoxin into circulation. They are protective by the mechanism you stated and they also increase the livers detoxification of endotoxin while increasing cholesterol which also binds and detoxifies endotoxin.

The bamboo shoots could work but i think a raw carrot at each meal can be very helpful as well. I would just take the charcoal before bed, no need to take that much, in my experience its constipating. Perhaps have some cascara on hand just in case.

The saturated fats are protective but i dont think they in and of themselves will get rid of the infection. I think some anti-microbial and anti-biofilm products will be needed.

I know I'm a broken record for you but I'd build up a based of support before you do the anti-microbials and anti-biofilms. Such could include:

-aspirin to protect from the effects of endotoxin

-dessicated thyroid to keep metabolism up and protect from endotoxin

-taurine to help with "fat-based" system, liver and the immune system

-long chain saturated fat sources as you have

-fruits/ 100% juice to lower endotoxin production from the gut and help to protect against the negative effects of the endotoxin in the body

-adequate animal protein to help your liver and kidneys with detoxification/ provide building material for your albumin

-a food based vit C like camu camu, or acerola cherry. Vit C has immune boosting and anti-endotoxin effects

-activated charcoal as you mentioned to pull out the excreted toxins, but I'd also have some type of laxative on hand like cascara

-magnesium gluconate or glycinate to keep the bowels moving

-serrapeptase to break up the biofilms

-monolaurin melted in coconut oil as and antimicrobial

-oregano oil as an anti-microbial

-ceylon cinnamon oil as an anti-microbial

-perhaps some cooked maitake, shiitake to raise your immune function and function as anti-microbials

*I'm hesitant about anti-biotics because of thier ability to disrupt the bodies ecosystem. The other compounds here shouldnt do that.

Thanks a lot CLASH! I'll keep this list as it's a good guide. I agree that the fatty acids would only have a minimal antibiotic effect.

I'll slowly work my way to using all of these food/substances over time, hoping that I can identify in what way these would help to lower my endotoxin load. As endotoxin is hard to measure unless one has a lot of money to spare for tests such as the Limulus assay, I'll only be guided in determing by endotoxin state by the use of CBC monocyte results and by subjective personal feelings such as quality of sleep, frequency of urination, presence or absence of urine foaming, and the feeling of having high energy during the day indicative of stable blood sugar, and blood pressure.

I'll start with basically this diet for 1 week:

Breakfast - Raw Pineapple slices, Sweet potatoes with butter and maltose (keeping sucrose low), coffee with milk and cocoa butter, and and a sunny-side egg cooked with tallow
Lunch- Raw Pineapple Slices, Lamb with tallow fried rice, cooked leafy greens, bamboos shoot in coconut milk, Jello strips from beef or pork tendons
Afternoon Snack - carrots salad
Dinner - Raw Pineapple Slices, Chicken or Pork in Coconut Curry, Tallow Fried Rice, Cooked Leafy Greens, Jello from beef or pork tendons
10 pm - Activated Charcoal
Before Bed - Milk and a Dollop of Butter
I'll have taurine and B-Vitamins and Vitamin C as supplements as a start, and then add the rest in the following weeks.

yerrag

Thanks a lot CLASH! I'll keep this list as it's a good guide. I agree that the fatty acids would only have a minimal antibiotic effect.

I'll slowly work my way to using all of these food/substances over time, hoping that I can identify in what way these would help to lower my endotoxin load. As endotoxin is hard to measure unless one has a lot of money to spare for tests such as the Limulus assay, I'll only be guided in determing by endotoxin state by the use of CBC monocyte results and by subjective personal feelings such as quality of sleep, frequency of urination, presence or absence of urine foaming, and the feeling of having high energy during the day indicative of stable blood sugar, and blood pressure.

I'll start with basically this diet for 1 week:

Breakfast - Raw Pineapple slices, Sweet potatoes with butter and maltose (keeping sucrose low), coffee with milk and cocoa butter, and and a sunny-side egg cooked with tallow
Lunch- Raw Pineapple Slices, Lamb with tallow fried rice, cooked leafy greens, bamboos shoot in coconut milk, Jello strips from beef or pork tendons
Afternoon Snack - carrots salad
Dinner - Raw Pineapple Slices, Chicken or Pork in Coconut Curry, Tallow Fried Rice, Cooked Leafy Greens, Jello from beef or pork tendons
10 pm - Activated Charcoal
Before Bed - Milk and a Dollop of Butter
I'll have taurine and B-Vitamins and Vitamin C as supplements as a start, and then add the rest in the following weeks.

I do want to say that this is post is still about endotoxins, and the effect of SFA on endotoxins in our body. I want to see test if LCSFAs can really be used to detox our body of endotoxins. And I'm trying to do this by increasing intake of LCSFAs so that plenty of chylomicrons, as well as VLDLs, can circulate through the body and scoop up endotoxins to be transported to the liver for excretion through the bile and going out externally through the fecal route. So as to help keep endotoxins from the gut from translocating to the blood, cooked bamboo shoots, carrot salad, and activated charcoal are eaten to enable the gut absorption of endotoxins, which eventually find their way out via the fecal route. So as to keep endotoxins carried by bile from recirculating back as a newly formed chylomicron (as bile is needed to emulsify dietary long chain fats), I'm eating raw pineapples before meals in the hope that the insoluble fiber from it can absorb the endotoxins, as the insoluble will have nowhere else to go but out via the fecal route.

So as to keep the chylomicrons from being metabolized, I am hoping that the intake of SCTs and MCTs , in the form of coconut milk, would enable the quick metabolism of such fats in the liver (as SCTs and MCTs get metabolized by the liver directly, bypassing the chylomicron processing stage and delivery through the lymphatic system to the blood). This would minimize the use of the fats in the chylomicrons from being used for energy, and the chylomicrons can be used more effectively to transport endotoxins to the liver.

I'm also trying to minimize on fructose intake this time, so I'm eating rice and using maltose in place of sucrose if possible and practical, but am eating pineapple for its insoluble fiber.

I may also take aspirin and niacinamide as the combo inhibit lipolysis and inhibits fatty acid oxidation. The part about inhibiting fatty acid oxidation I'm not so sure about. Is this correct?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals