Saturated Fats Weaken Brain, Damage Heart, Cause Endotoxin. What's Up?

raypeatclips

Maybe the pufa in breast milk is from the pufa that the mother eats. The way Ray says that animal milk can be contaminated by the different diets of animals, so people react differently to two seemingly identical types of milk. I would be interested in seeing the breast milk fat composition of a woman that is depleted in pufa and rich in saturated fats, but how many of them is there around?

REOSIRENS

At Wikipedia, I came across the following shockers though, re palmitic acid (a major [saturated] component of palm oil). It is possible that some folks are conflating palmitic acid with palmitoleic acid (Omega-7), a monounsaturated acid that is biosynthesized from palmitic acid.

[A] Palmitic acid

1. Aluminium salts of palmitic acid and naphthenic acid were combined during World War II to produce napalm. The word "napalm" is derived from the words naphthenic acid and palmitic acid.

2. According to the World Health Organization, evidence is "convincing" that consumption of palmitic acid increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease,[16] based on studies indicating that it may increase LDL levels in the blood.

3. Palmitic acid strongly boosts metastasis in mouse models of human oral cancer cells. Among all fatty acids, it has the strongest effect in boosting the metastatic potential of CD36+ metastasis-initiating cells.

4. Rats fed a diet of 20% palmitic acid and 80% carbohydrate for extended periods showed alterations in central nervous system control of insulin secretion, and suppression of the body's natural appetite-suppressing signals from leptin and insulin (the key hormones involved in weight regulation)

Source: Palmitic acid - Wikipedia

B. Palmitoleic Acid

1. It is a common constituent of the glycerides of human adipose tissue. It is present in all tissues but, in general, found in higher concentrations in the liver.

2. Dietary sources of palmitoleic acid include breast milk,[1] a variety of animal oils, vegetable oils, and marine oils. Macadamia oil (Macadamia integrifolia) and sea buckthorn oil (Hippophae rhamnoides) are botanical sources with high concentrations, containing 17% and 19-29% of palmitoleic acid, respectively.

Source: Palmitoleic acid - Wikipedia
I meant palmitic acid... Not eating palm oil... Palmitoleic acid is palmitic acid with oleic acid... I posted a study of palmitoyethanolamide (palmitic acid and ethanolamide)

J

James IV

Saturated fat is antimicrobial. Killing bacteria will result in endotoxin. In a healthy person those endotoxin that make it into the bloodstream during normal nutrient transport, will be removed by the exocrine system. In a sick person with poor detoxification the toxins will not be properly disposed and can cause inflammation in various tissues via blood.
The "cleaner" your gut, the less endotoxin saturated fat will "promote," which is the wrong term.
On a side note, this is probably a primary reason high (indigestible) starch/high fat often promotes fat gain.

Last edited by a moderator:

schultz

Maybe the pufa in breast milk is from the pufa that the mother eats. The way Ray says that animal milk can be contaminated by the different diets of animals, so people react differently to two seemingly identical types of milk. I would be interested in seeing the breast milk fat composition of a woman that is depleted in pufa and rich in saturated fats, but how many of them is there around?

PUFAs Role On Skin

GoodOlMiak

I've read this article on In Vivo studies with pigs and mice who were given different fats in their diet and tested for endotoxins after their meals at certain intervals...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577458/#!po=32.0225

The articles concludes:

"Oils rich in DHA and EPA attenuate endotoxin transport, while oils high in saturated fatty acids augment endotoxin transport. Furthermore, intestinal endotoxin transport in healthy subjects may be regulated through a lipid raft mediated mechanism. Saturated fatty acids may be stabilizing the lipid rafts allowing for greater endotoxin transport."

Attenuate: weakened in force or effect

Augment: make (something) greater by adding to it; increase.

What's the deal? I thought that Coconut oil reduced the effect of endotoxin in the gut while PUFAs increased it. I have experienced many benefits from eating more coconut oil and cutting out other fats, but is it better to cut out fat as much as possible?

lvysaur

coconut oil kills bacteria, but temporarily strengthens the endotoxin that's already there. I think butter is much worse than coconut oil at doing this.

sladerunner69

It seems pretty well established, even on this forum, that saturated fats cause more of an endotoxin/LPS response than unsaturated fats. So chugging a cup of fish oil will actually provoke less endotoxin/LPS -> less estrogen -> less FFA ... etc

The main studies we have that the UNsaturated oils are damaging, is @haidut 's posts of people with certain diseases having higher "metabolites" of unsaturated fats in their urine or elsewhere.

But We know that the body is capable, under some conditions, of producing unsaturated fats (for instance, cold exposure can produce unsaturated fats, even when diet is saturated fat only). So where is the evidence that completely avoiding them in the diet is a good thing?

I keep seeing more and more studies, including the one from Harvard posted on the forum, that saturated fats are associated with higher mortality and disease.

You can easily find studies showing that saturated fats are bad, and that they weaken the resistance of the organism to many diseases. Just do a simple online search. Here are just 2 studies I found:

A saturated-fat diet aggravates the outcome of traumatic brain injury on hippocampal plasticity and cognitive function by reducing brain-derived ne... - PubMed - NCBI

Saturated palmitic acid induces myocardial inflammatory injuries through direct binding to TLR4 accessory protein MD2 : Nature Communications

This is interesting, given the fact that Peat says animals high in saturated fats are more resistant to injury.

But since the body can saturate unsaturated fats, and unsaturate saturated ones, in vivo, isn't it better to focus on optimizing metabolism, than obsessing about dietary fat ratios?

Where's the evidence that a low fat diet, of mostly unsaturated fats, is toxic?

The foods consumed in the studies you speak of are not at all representative of Peat's recommendation for eating more saturated fats... they are eating pork, dark meat chicken, foods fried in canola oil, etc...