Protein and Thyroid Activation

J

j.

Peat claims high intake of protein enhances conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver. Are there studies that confirm this?

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
Peat claims high intake of protein enhances conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver. Are there studies that confirm this?

I don't know of any direct studies, but I did a very rudimentary search. However, I think Peat's rationale is that high protein intake supoprts liver function for which there are quite a few studies, mainly focusing on using taurine, glycine, BCAA, etc to repair liver function in various conditions like NAFLD, hepatitis, etc. Also, higher protein diet helps the liver eliminate more estrogen, which is toxic to the thyroid gland.
Without enough protein liver gets sluggish and since the conversion of T4 into T3 happens in the liver that would be the rationale for extra protein boosting thyroid.
If I find something specific for protein and T4/T3 I will post it here.

Peata

haidut said:
j. said:

I don't know of any direct studies, but I did a very rudimentary search. However, I think Peat's rationale is that high protein intake supoprts liver function for which there are quite a few studies, mainly focusing on using taurine, glycine, BCAA, etc to repair liver function in various conditions like NAFLD, hepatitis, etc. Also, higher protein diet helps the liver eliminate more estrogen, which is toxic to the thyroid gland.
Without enough protein liver gets sluggish and since the conversion of T4 into T3 happens in the liver that would be the rationale for extra protein boosting thyroid.
If I find something specific for protein and T4/T3 I will post it here.

Tyrosine, and maybe selenium, also needed?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals